NATION

PASSWORD

Does God exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Does a God exist?

Yes, raised religious
34%
No, raised religious
29%
Yes, raised nonreligious
8%
No, raised nonreligious
22%
I believe in a different God than I was raised believing in
8%

Total votes : 1195

The Scandinavian AlThing
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scandinavian AlThing » Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 pm

obviously i cant even quote the last post. I Am A NOOB!

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 pm

Asmir wrote:I hope you don't base the existence of God upon the works of mortal men. The holy bible though an inspired, is a collection of texts from different prophets starting with Moses and ending with Paul if you go chronologically. It was then gathered together by the court of Nicaea and bound into a common text, translated from probably eight or more different languages. Then from Latin to a bunch of other languages, some dared to make changes when translating the copies they had because of perceived errors some changes came from conspiring men seeking power or to prove that their view of the church was correct. However none of this matters one bit, the bible can't be used as evidence of the existence of God only as a tool for teaching of his love. Besides most of the so-called contradictions you posted are nothing more than a lack of understanding of the culture, or the roll that Christ played.

If one wishes to truly know if God exists you mush first want to know. An angel could come down from heaven and most would dismiss it as a camera trick or aliens. Definitive proof does not exist that your five senses can grasp, and that goes for anything.

Yeah.... though the Bible Started with the Universe and ended with Malachi.... and was Cannonized by the Men of the Great Assembly before Jesus.... so yeaa....
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Latiko
Envoy

Founded: Apr 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Latiko » Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 pm

This has always been a hard question as there is virtually no proof. I personally believe there was a god but it saw the error in us humans and just...left. I know it sounds weird to think that but if it is still here then how come it never helps out. Maybe is it instead a creator of just us but not everything and instead of fixing us, it just left somewhere else to start over. (I use it as "god" is not male or female as we do not if it is)

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 pm

Menassa wrote:
The Scandinavian AlThing wrote:Wether or not God and/or The Gods exist; their silence on the matter makes Him/Her/Them (or at least his/her/their Motives) SUSPECT! Even if they do exist do they REALLY have our best interests at heart? Sounds to me Just like an other unacountable "Authority". Dont bother Justifying your belief that they do exist (let alone give a damn, because in truth thats what they should be proving to us if they indeed do exist.) :evil:

If a God revealed itself constantly... wouldn't that take away your free-will to choose to obey it?

No.
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Teutonic Order of Prussia
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Teutonic Order of Prussia » Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 am

Menassa wrote:
Teutonic Order of Prussia wrote:Original Sin. God gave man free will because he thought they would behave; the example of Adam and Eve gives this where the devil tricks them. I believe god created them imperfect to make sure each human being is different.

Not only is their no proof that the serpent is the Devil, Genesis 4:7 states humans can rule over sin.

We can but it doesn't mean its easy.

Verkaria
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Verkaria » Thu May 23, 2013 12:17 am

49% Theists
51% Atheists
"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed."
~ Ernest Hemingway

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Andaricus
Envoy

Founded: Apr 03, 2010
Anarchy

Postby Andaricus » Thu May 23, 2013 12:25 am

Yes, there is a God. I know I can't prove it to anyone but the evidence to Me is everywhere. If you don't want to believe that is your choice but He is there no matter what and He made, and loves you regardless. And it doesn't matter if you believe in Him or not, He believes in You.

Umbradge
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Umbradge » Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 am

Asmir wrote:I hope you don't base the existence of God upon the works of mortal men. The holy bible though an inspired, is a collection of texts from different prophets starting with Moses and ending with Paul if you go chronologically. It was then gathered together by the court of Nicaea and bound into a common text, translated from probably eight or more different languages. Then from Latin to a bunch of other languages, some dared to make changes when translating the copies they had because of perceived errors some changes came from conspiring men seeking power or to prove that their view of the church was correct. However none of this matters one bit, the bible can't be used as evidence of the existence of God only as a tool for teaching of his love. Besides most of the so-called contradictions you posted are nothing more than a lack of understanding of the culture, or the roll that Christ played.

If one wishes to truly know if God exists you mush first want to know. An angel could come down from heaven and most would dismiss it as a camera trick or aliens. Definitive proof does not exist that your five senses can grasp, and that goes for anything.
This

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Thu May 23, 2013 5:25 am

Yeah, I wanted to know for years. Nothing, not a single thing, was revealed to me. Why do you get sych revelations and not me? Am I not equally loved by god? Am I not deserving?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Thu May 23, 2013 6:05 am

Teutonic Order of Prussia wrote:God is real, and here is proof. For one there is no proof that there was a massive esplosion that happened where there was nothing.

good thing no one is claiming that then.

there is however overwhelming proof of the big bang, things like universal background radiation and the distribution of elements.

Also you may try to say that how was god created? Well a simple fact is that if a being powerful enough to create everything existed, wouldn't he be able to create himself?

no

Evil was created by the devil;

evidence for the devil please
also that means evil was created by your god.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Thu May 23, 2013 6:07 am

Teutonic Order of Prussia wrote:
Delenial wrote:
You haven't presented proof of a god, you tried to de-prove the big bang theory. The big bang theory is not accepted by everyone, including non-theists, nor is there certentity in it, hence the word theory.

If anyone believes in a peaceful or loving god, why would that god give humans free choice and thought to think other ways than what he intended, and damn them to hell for practicing what he gave them. And why does he let tragedies happen?

Original Sin. God gave man free will because he thought they would behave; the example of Adam and Eve gives this where the devil tricks them. I believe god created them imperfect to make sure each human being is different.

so your god punishes newborn children for the acts of their ancestors? What a dick.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Thu May 23, 2013 6:46 am

Andaricus wrote:Yes, there is a God. I know I can't prove it to anyone but the evidence to Me is everywhere. If you don't want to believe that is your choice but He is there no matter what and He made, and loves you regardless. And it doesn't matter if you believe in Him or not, He believes in You.

Is this supposed evidence the sort which magically disappears when you try to look for it?
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Asmir
Lobbyist

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Asmir » Thu May 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Menassa wrote:

Yeah.... though the Bible Started with the Universe and ended with Malachi.... and was Cannonized by the Men of the Great Assembly before Jesus.... so yeaa....

True it existed in a primitive form existed well before the Bible, however it was still a collection of scrolls or sticks and not in one complete volume.

Asmir
Lobbyist

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Does God exist?

Postby Asmir » Thu May 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:

Yeah, I wanted to know for years. Nothing, not a single thing, was revealed to me. Why do you get sych revelations and not me? Am I not equally loved by god? Am I not deserving?

I appreciate your concern for my mental well being thank you, but having faith is not receiving some sort of vision or visitation of a heavenly being. I have never seen an angel my self, nor have i heard a booming voice from the sky telling me the secrets of the universe. I have however once or twice in my life felt as if I were being given an feeling of confirmation after asking. Nothing more that a feeling, not even the answer i was expecting or desiring. As for deserving you, are no less deserving than any other person and should not even think you are not. I'm not going to go on about how everyone is equal in the eyes of God and all that because people still think that if some misfortune befalls them then it is somehow punishment. Just keep trying, if you want something bad enough, you don't just give up on it.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu May 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Teutonic Order of Prussia wrote:
Menassa wrote:Not only is their no proof that the serpent is the Devil, Genesis 4:7 states humans can rule over sin.

We can but it doesn't mean its easy.

No one ever said overcoming him would be easy... but we are not in a state of Sin.... even if it was Satan in Garden... for which there is no evidence.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Menassa wrote:If a God revealed itself constantly... wouldn't that take away your free-will to choose to obey it?

No.

If God revealed himself to you and showed you his awesome might... your arm would be twisted into worshiping him.

Pratse
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pratse » Thu May 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Menassa wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:No.

If God revealed himself to you and showed you his awesome might... your arm would be twisted into worshiping him.

Why are you...always talking...like this....
[Insert signature here].

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu May 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Pratse wrote:
Menassa wrote:If God revealed himself to you and showed you his awesome might... your arm would be twisted into worshiping him.

Like what?

Fruition (Ancient)
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fruition (Ancient) » Thu May 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Menassa wrote:
Pratse wrote:

Like what?

Adding periods in the middle of sentences.
Fruition wrote:Wow. Do you think personally NS has set you in the right path, without any doubt?
Sassinia wrote:Yes.

Pratse
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pratse » Thu May 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Aye.
[Insert signature here].

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Fruition wrote:
Menassa wrote:Like what?

Emph......asis.

Pratse
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pratse » Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Menassa wrote:
Fruition wrote:

Emph......asis.

Oooooo....oh.
[Insert signature here].

Fruition (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fruition (Ancient) » Thu May 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Menassa wrote:
Fruition wrote:

Emph......asis.

Oh, okay.
Fruition wrote:Wow. Do you think personally NS has set you in the right path, without any doubt?

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Thu May 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Pratse wrote:
Menassa wrote:Emph......asis.

Oooooo....oh.

Carry..... on..... with your.... conversation..... William Shatner will always be...... right here.

Fruition (Ancient)
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Fruition (Ancient) » Thu May 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Menassa wrote:
Pratse wrote:
Oooooo....oh.

Carry..... on..... with your.... conversation..... William Shatner will always be...... right here.

Is he the guy that wrote Star Trek?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General