NATION

PASSWORD

Does God exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Does a God exist?

Yes, raised religious
34%
No, raised religious
29%
Yes, raised nonreligious
8%
No, raised nonreligious
22%
I believe in a different God than I was raised believing in
8%

Total votes : 1195

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Tue May 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:The very first thing you say, and it's wrong. No. Axioms are falsifiable.

Wiki sez:

An axiom, or postulate, is a premise or starting point of reasoning. As classically conceived, an axiom is a premise so evident as to be accepted as true without controversy.[1] The word comes from the Greek ἀξίωμα 'that which is thought worthy or fit,' or 'that which commends itself as evident.'[2][3] As used in modern logic, an axiom is simply a premise or starting point for reasoning.[4] Axioms define and delimit the realm of analysis; the relative truth of an axiom is taken for granted within the particular domain of analysis, and serves as a starting point for deducing and inferring other relative truths. No explicit view regarding the absolute truth of axioms is ever taken in the context of modern mathematics, as such a thing is considered to be an irrelevant and impossible contradiction in terms.

Um... where does it say Axioms are unfalsifiable? It says they are the starting point, a premise so evident its accepted without controversy. Nothing you've said has qualified.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Tue May 14, 2013 3:37 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:As much as I can feel the hurt of breaking with a beloved belief, it's good to see another see the light.

Actually, I"m pretty sure I saw the light years ago, I was just in denial that I had.

It's still hard for me to come out and say this. I still want to believe in a God, but in good logic, I can't.

I find it reassuring that I am in control of my own fate and that my destiny is of my own creation, rather than the Greater Plan of some asshole that kills people for no reason and allows and causes suffering.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Tue May 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Ordya wrote:
Sposl wrote:I hear this argument alot, but the thing is, God never promised a heaven on Earth. In fact, he never promised anything like it. All God promised is a perfect eternally happy life in Heaven if we show that we are good on Earth. I consider Earth as a test to see if we truly are good or if we are actually evil.

A lot of atheists believe that too, except without the perfect afterlife bullshit.

You don't need religion or threat of hellfire or promise of afterlife to understand the simple rule, "Don't be a dick."
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue May 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Enadail wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

Wiki sez:

An axiom, or postulate, is a premise or starting point of reasoning. As classically conceived, an axiom is a premise so evident as to be accepted as true without controversy.[1] The word comes from the Greek ἀξίωμα 'that which is thought worthy or fit,' or 'that which commends itself as evident.'[2][3] As used in modern logic, an axiom is simply a premise or starting point for reasoning.[4] Axioms define and delimit the realm of analysis; the relative truth of an axiom is taken for granted within the particular domain of analysis, and serves as a starting point for deducing and inferring other relative truths. No explicit view regarding the absolute truth of axioms is ever taken in the context of modern mathematics, as such a thing is considered to be an irrelevant and impossible contradiction in terms.

Um... where does it say Axioms are unfalsifiable? It says they are the starting point, a premise so evident its accepted without controversy. Nothing you've said has qualified.

It's almost like he didn't actually read what he was linking to.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Tue May 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:The very first thing you say, and it's wrong. No. Axioms are falsifiable.

Wiki sez:

We are in the real world buddy, you should be able to demonstrate them, so far you haven't.
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

American-Sino-Russo Alliance
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby American-Sino-Russo Alliance » Tue May 14, 2013 3:39 pm

God isn't something that you can prove. He is just something you believe in.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue May 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

Wiki sez:

We are in the real world buddy, you should be able to demonstrate them, so far you haven't.

He seems to have missed the parts where it said "evident" and "without controversy."
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Ordya
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ordya » Tue May 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Ordya wrote:A lot of atheists believe that too, except without the perfect afterlife bullshit.

You don't need religion or threat of hellfire or promise of afterlife to understand the simple rule, "Don't be a dick."

I just said that.
*Disclaimer: 99% of my posts are jokes.
Personal: I am a misanthropic, heterosexual male.
Political: I am a Marxist.
Religious: I am an atheist.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Tue May 14, 2013 3:41 pm

American-Sino-Russo Alliance wrote:God isn't something that you can prove. He is just something you believe in.

Joe the Uranus Chicken isn't something you can prove. He is just something you belief in.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Actually, I"m pretty sure I saw the light years ago, I was just in denial that I had.

It's still hard for me to come out and say this. I still want to believe in a God, but in good logic, I can't.

I find it reassuring that I am in control of my own fate and that my destiny is of my own creation, rather than the Greater Plan of some asshole that kills people for no reason and allows and causes suffering.

... Me too.

That's why I converted to Hinduism. :p

As far as I am concerned, we are our own masters, religion or not.

We rise and fall by our own merits and our mistakes and the trickeries of others, respectively.

I do not find The Void reassuring, though.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ordya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ordya » Tue May 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:We are in the real world buddy, you should be able to demonstrate them, so far you haven't.

He seems to have missed the parts where it said "evident" and "without controversy."

That's what he thinks God is.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Tue May 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Chinese Regions wrote:God exists because he is super special awesome and beyond the realm of existence, not-existing is better than existing so super special awesome Yahweh overlord Jesus exists.

I did not approach to discussion from His transcendentalism.

Yes yes we all know god is super special awesome overlord omnipotent, omniscient, omni-benevolent, axiomatic, anarcho-capialist, monarchic, super-duper Jesus Yahweh perfect.
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Tue May 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Ordya wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:You don't need religion or threat of hellfire or promise of afterlife to understand the simple rule, "Don't be a dick."

I just said that.

I rephrased it to be more complete and easier to see. No need to be a douche about it.

Ordya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ordya » Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Ordya wrote:
I just said that.

I rephrased it to be more complete and easier to see. No need to be a douche about it.

If you only know one thing about me, it's that I'm a douche about everything.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I find it reassuring that I am in control of my own fate and that my destiny is of my own creation, rather than the Greater Plan of some asshole that kills people for no reason and allows and causes suffering.

... Me too.

We rise and fall by our own merits and our mistakes and the trickeries of others, respectively.

Death is an existential reality, the way I see it is that when you're dead, you're no longer around to worry about being dead. You get used to the reality.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Ordya wrote:A lot of atheists believe that too, except without the perfect afterlife bullshit.

:clap:

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Ordya wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I rephrased it to be more complete and easier to see. No need to be a douche about it.

If you only know one thing about me, it's that I'm a douche about everything.

Maybe if you found Jesus... :p

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
... Me too.

Death is an existential reality, the way I see it is that when you're dead, you're no longer around to worry about being dead. You get used to the reality.

I'm already troubled in my sleep in life.

I don't want to know what'll happen when I hit the dirt.

How do zombies pee in coffins? On themselves? Ew.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Tue May 14, 2013 3:46 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Death is an existential reality, the way I see it is that when you're dead, you're no longer around to worry about being dead. You get used to the reality.

Nothing happens after you die. You just aren't anymore. It's a lot more reassuring than living forever and getting bored as fuck. I can't imagine anything scarier than eternal heaven.

Ordya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ordya » Tue May 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Nothing happens after you die. You just aren't anymore. It's a lot more reassuring than living forever and getting bored as fuck. I can't imagine anything scarier than eternal heaven.

Except eternal heaven with a Canadian. *shivers*

Mirage
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirage » Tue May 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Frisivisia wrote:Nothing happens after you die. You just aren't anymore. It's a lot more reassuring than living forever and getting bored as fuck. I can't imagine anything scarier than eternal heaven.

Depends on one's definition of heaven :p

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Tue May 14, 2013 3:49 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Sposl wrote:You can still believe and worship God while not participating too much in organized religion, just a suggestion. Don't let others ruin your faith for you.

As a logical and rational man, I can't do that.

Give me one good rational argument for God's existence that is not "because I want to".

Why would someone write the entire Bible if they didn't actually see those things happen? I don't know any answer other than they wrote it because they saw it happen. Why are we the only living life anyone has found in the universe so far? You would think that there would be at least some bacteria on another planet, or in an asteroid, but no, nothing so far. Why are people so perfectly adapted to such a wide range of temperatures and are also sentient? How are humans so amazingly advanced, far past what the theory of evolution can explain? Just look at the human muscle system, it is so well designed while we could have survived with a much more primitive system. So how did this happen? I believe God did it.

Oh and sorry it took so long, my ipad went out

And I am Sposl, just on a different account
Last edited by Skappola on Tue May 14, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Tue May 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Mirage wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Nothing happens after you die. You just aren't anymore. It's a lot more reassuring than living forever and getting bored as fuck. I can't imagine anything scarier than eternal heaven.

Depends on one's definition of heaven :p

Eternal life is a fate worse than death.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Oh, what, and sleeping forever/ceasing to exist isn't boring as fuck?

At least Heaven has an Xbox.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Tue May 14, 2013 3:49 pm

The Rich Port wrote:

Oh, what, and sleeping forever/ceasing to exist isn't boring as fuck?

At least Heaven has an Xbox.

You aren't really there to consider that you're bored. You just aren't.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General