NATION

PASSWORD

Does God exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Does a God exist?

Yes, raised religious
34%
No, raised religious
29%
Yes, raised nonreligious
8%
No, raised nonreligious
22%
I believe in a different God than I was raised believing in
8%

Total votes : 1195

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 pm

The Godly Nations wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Yes, taken together, they each wield the authority of God. However, independently none hold any authority whatsoever.

Still fallacious. The Three derive their authority from God, and from this authority, the pronounce that God exist.

Mav accused me of circular reasoning. I was not guilty of that. Circular reasoning concludes an argument by restating the premise instead of deriving the conclusion from the premise. Tautologies state the same thing twice. The logical validities of an argument determine the way the conclusion can logically derive from the premise, without merely restating the premise. I did not merely restate the premise. Nor did I assume the premise as my conclusion. The authority of the Holy Church depends upon the validity of the Holy Scripture and the Holy Tradition in tandem and their authority from God is logically derived from the arguments made at their behest only when taken together. Any conclusion arrived at from the three that assumes agreement from the three is said to carry Holy Authority. Each is not an authority separated from the other.

Now, when I said that God exists. I did make a circular argument.

When I said that His existence is proven logically, I did not. What your post implies is that I am guilty of a rhetorical fallacy. I am not. I made a logical tautology. Which is an axiomatic statement. The premise that the three wield authority because they speak on behalf of God and only when their conclusions are taken together is unfalsifiable from any interpretation except to disregard the statement entirely. Logically, God exists because the Church sought to satisfy the premise of their hypothesis (that God exists) by consulting two separate authorities whose authority was only recognized in tandem with the Church. No one derives authority from the other two.

It may be moderately sacrilegious to suggest that God exists because the three say He does, but for the purposes of argument, it is a statement I will make.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:I specifically did not focus on geographical regions, but purely on Europe. Which is, predominantly, the same religion.

Tell me there's no correlation.

The sudden yellowness of Eastern Europe correlates with level of Soviet Control in the past more than it correlates with religion.

Indeed it does. I did offer the possibility of a third explanation.
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Sposl wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Matthew 19:24 suggests he was far more extreme than that.

Hah I guessed it, that was what your talking about! Well, there is a reason why Carnagie said
"The man who dies rich, dies disgraced"

There's also that the early Apostolic church in Acts held all things in common, and Jesus making people give up their possessions on many occasions.
Last edited by Conscentia on Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scholencia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scholencia » Tue May 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Conscentia wrote:What? :blink:

Chinese Regions wrote:You mean like Khmer intellectuals? Muslims and ethnic Chinese in Cambodia? Or secretly nazi eugenics controlled Argentine Penguins from the Falklands?!

Pol Pot killed about 50% of its people (imagine some loonie atheist kills about 40 million people in the UK just because they are christians or part of the aristocracy). Seeing that her haters have symapthy some that maniac shows that she was right when she privatised the companies and disciplined the syndicalist (who were by the way all fans of teaching of Karl Marx).

The Falkands are Britain and it was attacked by fascist Argentina and it was a duty of every moral British citizen and patriot to defend the possesion of Her Majesty. She did not start the war.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Sposl wrote:Well, I noticed that most countries doing badly aren't Christian but rather Muslim or a local traditional relgion. I doubt it has anything to do with the religion but instead with geographic differences. Guns, Germs, and Steel explains it pretty well.

I specifically did not focus on geographical regions, but purely on Europe. Which is, predominantly, the same religion.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a correlation. Saudi Arabia, for example, is doing relatively decent when it comes to economy and they're a bastion of modern-day Islamic practices.

Political stability and religiosity, on the other hand... There's probably a direct correlation.

Those Muslims sure do like to commit human rights violations. Arranged marriages, pedophilia, wanton murder, assault, oh my!
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Tue May 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Distruzio wrote:
The Godly Nations wrote:
Still fallacious. The Three derive their authority from God, and from this authority, the pronounce that God exist.

Mav accused me of circular reasoning. I was not guilty of that. Circular reasoning concludes an argument by restating the premise instead of deriving the conclusion from the premise. Tautologies state the same thing twice. The logical validities of an argument determine the way the conclusion can logically derive from the premise, without merely restating the premise. I did not merely restate the premise. Nor did I assume the premise as my conclusion. The authority of the Holy Church depends upon the validity of the Holy Scripture and the Holy Tradition in tandem and their authority from God is logically derived from the arguments made at their behest only when taken together. Any conclusion arrived at from the three that assumes agreement from the three is said to carry Holy Authority. Each is not an authority separated from the other.

When I said that His existence is proven logically, I did not. What your post implies is that I am guilty of a rhetorical fallacy. I am not. I made a logical tautology. Which is an axiomatic statement. The premise that the three wield authority because they speak on behalf of God and only when their conclusions are taken together is unfalsifiable from any interpretation except to disregard the statement entirely. Logically, God exists because the Church sought to satisfy the premise of their hypothesis (that God exists) by consulting two separate authorities whose authority was only recognized in tandem with the Church. No one derives authority from the other two.

It may be moderately sacrilegious to suggest that God exists because the three say He does, but for the purposes of argument, it is a statement I will make.

Wow, this almost reminds me of how Mises used to write. Dressing up a argument which is fallacious at it's core in a complicated tangle of meaningless babblings.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Tue May 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

Wow, this almost reminds me of how Mises used to write. Dressing up a argument which is fallacious at it's core in a complicated tangle of meaningless babblings.

Meh, if I'm wrong, he'll tell me.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Tue May 14, 2013 1:39 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:I specifically did not focus on geographical regions, but purely on Europe. Which is, predominantly, the same religion.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a correlation. Saudi Arabia, for example, is doing relatively decent when it comes to economy and they're a bastion of modern-day Islamic practices.
Political stability and religiosity, on the other hand... There's probably a direct correlation.
Those Muslims sure do like to commit human rights violations. Arranged marriages, pedophilia, wanton murder, assault, oh my!

Has little to do with Islam.
Last edited by Conscentia on Tue May 14, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Tue May 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
The method of 'postulating' what we want has many advantages; they are the same as the advantages of theft over honest toil.

- Bertrand Russell

What I said, however, isn't necessarily a fallacy. If I were to say that God exists because God exists, that is a fallacy - much like if I had said that a man is dead because he is dead. However, I didn't say that. I said that God exists because the tandem authority of the Holy Church, Holy Scripture, and Holy Tradition each conclude that He exists, it is no different than saying that a dead man isn't alive because he isn't breathing.

Three old extremely biased sources say so, so it must be true? :rofl:

There is no such thing as a source without a bias.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Tue May 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Distruzio wrote:What I said, however, isn't necessarily a fallacy. If I were to say that God exists because God exists, that is a fallacy - much like if I had said that a man is dead because he is dead. However, I didn't say that. I said that God exists because the tandem authority of the Holy Church, Holy Scripture, and Holy Tradition each conclude that He exists, it is no different than saying that a dead man isn't alive because he isn't breathing.

Please stop confusing your logical fallacies. What you described is tautology. which isn't the same thing as circular reasoning.

What you argued, is circular reasoning.

Incorrect.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Conscentia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:I'm pretty sure there isn't a correlation. Saudi Arabia, for example, is doing relatively decent when it comes to economy and they're a bastion of modern-day Islamic practices.

Has little to do with Islam.

They do those things in the name of their God the same way African Christians are doing it to homosexuals.

You can't say they don't just because.

How do you mean it doesn't have anything to do with Islam?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Tue May 14, 2013 1:43 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Has little to do with Islam.

They do those things in the name of their God the same way African Christians are doing it to homosexuals.

For a start, Islam prohibits murder & assault. And there's no mandate for arranged marriage in Islam. That's cultural, as it is in India.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Tue May 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Three old extremely biased sources say so, so it must be true? :rofl:

There is no such thing as a source without a bias, therefore, it's logical to point to the Bible and Church as proof that God exists, which means the Bible and Church are correct because God exists.

Sorry, no it isn't, just because you add one more leg to the circular logic race doesn't make the logic any less circular.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue May 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Please stop confusing your logical fallacies. What you described is tautology. which isn't the same thing as circular reasoning.

What you argued, is circular reasoning.

Incorrect.

Brilliant debating skills. You have me convinced.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Conscentia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

For a start, Islam prohibits murder & assault. And there's no mandate for arranged marriage in Islam. That's cultural, as it is in India.

You don't count executions and corporeal punishment as murder and assault, respectively? I do, especially on made-up charges like "apostasy".

I'm certain the child brides are glad there's a distinction. Yeah, nobody may follow it and they still do it, but whatever, it's not mandated.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Blekksprutia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekksprutia » Tue May 14, 2013 1:48 pm

I can’t for the life of me imagine that God would say, “I will punish you because you are black. You should have been White. I will punish you because you are a woman; you should have been a man. I will punish you because you are homosexual. You ought to have been heterosexual.” I can’t for the life of me believe that is how God sees things.

-Archbishop Desmond Tutu
KILLUGON and BERNIE SANDERS and my moirail, ERIDEL.
Founder of Kotturheim, home to my GAY POLECATS, who are TOO FABULOUS FOR YOU.
Arg: Blekk does that. The topics of same sex marriage and the human race's fight against idiocy motivate him to write some truly impressive and glorious rants that deserve to be remembered and sigged.
Zott: I see our Blekky has discovered the joys of amphetamines.
Horus: blekky you are blekky i am horus
Rio: Blekky you are the best person on this website. Figuratively, kiss me.
Blekky is like a bunny. He looks adorable, yet he might bite you till it hurts.
Veccy: you're the worst blekky
The Balkens: Blekk does that, he has been taught by NSG's greatest practitioners of Snark to Snark combat.
Napki: Marry me, Blekk
Aeq: Blekk, you are Jesus!!!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue May 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Distruzio wrote:Mav accused me of circular reasoning. I was not guilty of that. Circular reasoning concludes an argument by restating the premise instead of deriving the conclusion from the premise.

Which is of course, false. That is an example of circular reasoning, but that isn't the definition of circular reasoning. Circular reasoning is, as per Wikipedia:

Circular reasoning (also known as paradoxical thinking or circular logic), is a logical fallacy in which "the reasoner begins with what he or she is trying to end up with".

An example of this is, "God exist because God exists" because you are beginning with what you want to end up with. However, "God exists because The Holy Church says so, and the Holy Church says so because God grants it the authority to say so, and God grants it the authority to say so because God exists" is STILL circular reasoning, because you begin with the premise that you are trying to end up with.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue May 14, 2013 1:50 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

There is no such thing as a source without a bias, therefore, it's logical to point to the Bible and Church as proof that God exists, which means the Bible and Church are correct because God exists.

Sorry, no it isn't, just because you add one more leg to the circular logic race doesn't make the logic any less circular.

Precisely. Circular Logic doesn't only consist of two parts. It can consist of multiple parts. As long as you begin with the premise you are trying to end with, it is circular reasoning.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Tue May 14, 2013 1:58 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Conscentia wrote:For a start, Islam prohibits murder & assault. And there's no mandate for arranged marriage in Islam. That's cultural, as it is in India.

You don't count executions and corporeal punishment as murder and assault, respectively? I do, especially on made-up charges like "apostasy".
I'm certain the child brides are glad there's a distinction. Yeah, nobody may follow it and they still do it, but whatever, it's not mandated.

· The Qur'an suggests the death penalty, it doesn't command it.
· Restitution is an acceptable alternative in Islamic law.
· Murder is defined in terms of law as unlawful intentional killing. Execution is lawful in states were it is practised.

· Blame the forced marriages on society, not Islam.
Last edited by Conscentia on Tue May 14, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Tue May 14, 2013 2:10 pm

Lemanrussland wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

Oh I didn't suggest that, because the Church is biased in favor of the existence of God, God exists. Did I?

I acknowledge it's bias.

It isn't, in fact, logical to point to the Bible and the Church as proof of His existence. The statements I've thus far made merely explained the way those entities with the authority to speak on God's existence derive their authority and that, when they speak authoritatively, their statements are true (unless you reject their axiomatic premises).

They say that God exists. I have yet to expand upon how God exists.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Oh I didn't suggest that, because the Church is biased in favor of the existence of God, God exists. Did I?

Yes, you did. Because that was the purpose behind DaWood's question.

DaWoad wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Logically, rights exist.

Logically, the government exists.

Logically, God exists.

However, not everyone accepts mere logic as an affirmation of existence. Atheists exist because they compel we theists to exercise restraint with our logic. They are correct, in that regard. Sometimes logic can be incorrect. After all oxygen is what we breathe, correct? So, logically, breathing a more pure oxygen should be better for you - but it aint. Skeptical science proved this to people. Those skeptical of religion have much to show people, as well.

show me the logic for the existence of god please.

He asked you to provide the logic that demonstrates the existence for God. One who has a desire to engage in intellectual honesty would understand that he was in essence, asking you to back up your assertion that God logically exists, i.e. back up your damn claim that He exists.

So either you misread his intentions, or you're being intellectually dishonest on purpose after being caught using circular reasoning.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 14, 2013 2:20 pm

Conscentia wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:You don't count executions and corporeal punishment as murder and assault, respectively? I do, especially on made-up charges like "apostasy".

· The Qur'an suggests the death penalty, it doesn't command it.
· Restitution is an acceptable alternative in Islamic law.
· Murder is defined in terms of law as unlawful intentional killing. Execution is lawful in states were it is practised.

· Blame the forced marriages on society, not Islam.

Once again, I'm certain everybody who dies because of their government's interpretations of the Qur'an are grateful you make the distinction.

Oh, goody, so that means anybody who can't pay restitution is fucked and the distinction is fucking stupid.

Semantics. I don't believe in killing a human being unless in self-defense. A killing is a murder is an execution is a killing. Also, I'm tolerant of execution so long as the reasons are good for it. Apostasy, for which people have been executed for, is such a flimsy charge, it might as well be imaginary.

Society creates religion. I can blame the religion by extension.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Blekksprutia wrote:
I can’t for the life of me imagine that God would say, “I will punish you because you are black. You should have been White. I will punish you because you are a woman; you should have been a man. I will punish you because you are homosexual. You ought to have been heterosexual.” I can’t for the life of me believe that is how God sees things.

-Archbishop Desmond Tutu

That's not how god sees things. He will punish you for acting Homosexual (IE, engaging in Homosexual Acts). Blacks aren't discriminated against in the Bible (there are verses against slavery). Women aren't discriminated against in the bible too terribly much.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Ordya
Minister

Founded: Jul 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ordya » Tue May 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Die Maan wrote:
1) God is not obsolete until He has been proven to be obsolete.

no all thing are obsolete until demonstrated as useful enough to counter any costs.
in Science anything without any evidence is completely useless, thus obsolete.

2) Why do you say no?

because many people study biology out of curiosity not religious drivel.
Although many biologist do come to dislike religion, mostly due to repeated abuses of biology by religion.

1) Yet God has no evidence.
2) [citation needed]
*Disclaimer: 99% of my posts are jokes.
Personal: I am a misanthropic, heterosexual male.
Political: I am a Marxist.
Religious: I am an atheist.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General