NATION

PASSWORD

Who will be superpowers in 2050?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will be the superpowers by 2050

USA
24%
China
26%
India
10%
Indonesia
1%
Brazil
8%
Russia
9%
South africa
1%
Germany
8%
Japan
4%
Other
8%

Total votes : 1868

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:16 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Disserbia wrote:Really?

The two stronger states will likely play the smallest of the three against each other until it is eventually destroyed, assimilated or otherwise somehow "loses" Superpower status.

If the whole point of being a Superpower is dominance, a triumvate merely adds a competitor who could ally with your existing competition.

The threshold of 3 seems a little arbitrary and is only like that because after three the world is considered multipolar, but I don't understand why there could not be more than 3 superpowers as per the definition of a superpower. Also isn't the EU the worlds largest economy?
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Caninope wrote:
Conceptina wrote:China is rising. They already own our asses and are sucking the resources in Africa dry. As time passes and America and the world continues to buy from them, they can only get more powerful.

No. Try again later.

He's right about Africa though. Africa is the next theatre to compete on coincidentally

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
PC:
PS:
PT:

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Caninope wrote:No. Try again later.

He's right about Africa though. Africa is the next theatre to compete on coincidentally

Next theatre? It's been the theatre of competition since the 1800s, with a comparatively brief interlude during the Cold War.

Third Mexican Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Mexican Empire » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:25 pm

The US

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:The two stronger states will likely play the smallest of the three against each other until it is eventually destroyed, assimilated or otherwise somehow "loses" Superpower status.

If the whole point of being a Superpower is dominance, a triumvate merely adds a competitor who could ally with your existing competition.

The threshold of 3 seems a little arbitrary and is only like that because after three the world is considered multipolar, but I don't understand why there could not be more than 3 superpowers as per the definition of a superpower. Also isn't the EU the worlds largest economy?

The definition of a superpower is a state that is dominant in the international system, with the ability to take on the role of world hegemon, the defining authority of the international system (roughly similar to the US today although, in theory, a hegemon would exert even more power; nonetheless, the US is the closest the world has ever seen to a true hegemon, IMO). A great power is a state that is influential. If there are too many states of roughly equal power, they are no longer dominant, in which case, they are all simply influential as opposed to dominant. The definition of superpower is a relative definition. There is no absolute measure of a superpower, as it is all in relation to other powers (although the relative definition of a superpower does imply certain absolute qualities of a superpower, most notable force projection). If there are too many "superpowers", then no one is a superpower in the same way that Albert Einstein is no longer exceptional if the world population only consisted of him, Newton, Galileo, John Maynard Keynes, and other influential thinkers/geniuses.

EDIT: Perhaps 3 does seem a little arbitrary, but four and five power systems are considered to be the classic multipolar great power systems. I would argue that 3 superpower systems are uncommon and far more unlikely than bipolar and unipolar superpower systems, and tripolar systems would decay into bipolar or unipolar systems.
Last edited by Caninope on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Caninope wrote:No. Try again later.

Possibly. The fate of Africa is still, as of yet, unwritten.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Disserbia wrote:He's right about Africa though. Africa is the next theatre to compete on coincidentally

Next theatre? It's been the theatre of competition since the 1800s, with a comparatively brief interlude during the Cold War.

In the way of resources it seems like the smart thing to do would be to move focus to Africa as well as the Middle East. If you know, you believe in that kind of foreign policy.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Caninope wrote:
Disserbia wrote:He's right about Africa though. Africa is the next theatre to compete on coincidentally

Possibly. The fate of Africa is still, as of yet, unwritten.

Yes that's a much better way of putting it. China has a good system with the infrastructure thing...at least as far as their own interests. I suppose it wasn't so great for the people of Sudan

PC:
PS:
PT:

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Caninope wrote:
Disserbia wrote:The threshold of 3 seems a little arbitrary and is only like that because after three the world is considered multipolar, but I don't understand why there could not be more than 3 superpowers as per the definition of a superpower. Also isn't the EU the worlds largest economy?

The definition of a superpower is a state that is dominant in the international system, with the ability to take on the role of world hegemon, the defining authority of the international system (roughly similar to the US today although, in theory, a hegemon would exert even more power; nonetheless, the US is the closest the world has ever seen to a true hegemon, IMO). A great power is a state that is influential. If there are too many states of roughly equal power, they are no longer dominant, in which case, they are all simply influential as opposed to dominant. The definition of superpower is a relative definition. There is no absolute measure of a superpower, as it is all in relation to other powers (although the relative definition of a superpower does imply certain absolute qualities of a superpower, most notable force projection). If there are too many "superpowers", then no one is a superpower in the same way that Albert Einstein is no longer exceptional if the world population only consisted of him, Newton, Galileo, John Maynard Keynes, and other influential thinkers/geniuses.

EDIT: Perhaps 3 does seem a little arbitrary, but four and five power systems are considered to be the classic multipolar great power systems. I would argue that 3 superpower systems are uncommon and far more unlikely than bipolar and unipolar superpower systems, and tripolar systems would decay into bipolar or unipolar systems.

Okay I see what you're saying, I believe that power is zero sum but with the world the way it is now I think there is room in a true multipolar world that many superpowers would have the potential to become a hegemonic power but there is less likelihood of doing so. This is starting to get into IR theory though...I don't mean to derail.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Disserbia wrote:Okay I see what you're saying, I believe that power is zero sum but with the world the way it is now I think there is room in a true multipolar world that many superpowers would have the potential to become a hegemonic power but there is less likelihood of doing so. This is starting to get into IR theory though...I don't mean to derail.

If you believed power were zero sum, then you would agree with the idea of relative power, because relative power is fundamentally premised on the idea of IR as a zero sum game.

I think you instead meant "absolute".
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Caninope wrote:
Disserbia wrote:Okay I see what you're saying, I believe that power is zero sum but with the world the way it is now I think there is room in a true multipolar world that many superpowers would have the potential to become a hegemonic power but there is less likelihood of doing so. This is starting to get into IR theory though...I don't mean to derail.

If you believed power were zero sum, then you would agree with the idea of relative power, because relative power is fundamentally premised on the idea of IR as a zero sum game.

I think you instead meant "absolute".

Maybe, but I think I believe in relative power, just that right now the nature of IR is changing so it doesn't seem relative to previous (would it be orders of world power - I forget some of my terminology)

PC:
PS:
PT:

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:59 pm

One problem with the U.S. I swear, we have the infrastructure of a second world nation. There are entire REGIONS of States in this nation that almost live by candle light and preserve food with salt because they can't get reliable electricity. There's bridges over seventy years old expected to cater everything from a Prius to three fire trucks on duty. Highways could use some work, too. The U.S. actually has a current infrastructure grade of 'D'. It's not killing the nation, not by far. But it's not a good thing either, and the government seems to have no idea on what to do about it, as usual.

China is killing themselves. They won't have enough workers in 2050 to sustain the economy. And at this point Germany is stuck between a rock and hard place for becoming a superpower.
And again, Putin is an evil bastard, but he'll make Russia a superpower again if he dies from old age in the process. As for everyone else, the only one i'd consider is Brazil. They have a few issues which need cleaning up, but they're doing pretty damn well. And India. They've got that huge poverty problem, but that's a truly difficult one. And they have the world's largest gold reserves.

The U.S. won't necessarily die, as it is right now, it's just eroding away with time. I'm sure someone will take office soon to fix it. Hopefully.
The power of self is unlimited and ultimate, an unending wave of pure energy and being that could never be stopped, apart from time and forever ingrained into the fabrics of all being, this is the truth of Korrelian Existentialism.

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧
Pronouns? Just use whatever, it's all the same to me :P
You will always have your friends, with your friends, you will never be alone. There will always be a light. Friendship is Magic, its the magic that brings the most glimmering lights of hope to the darkest of worlds. And as long as you have it, you will never have to be afraid of the dark. - Me, New Babylonia ^^

Alyska
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyska » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 pm

USA and China. Also India as an outside possibility.

Brazil: An emerging great power, but doesn't have quite a large enough population base to become a true superpower.

Russia: Still hasn't come to grips with the fact that it is no longer a superpower, but probably would not be able to regain superpower status within next 40 years despite its best efforts. Besides being held back by authoritarianism and government corruption, it has major demographic issues (i.e. low birth rate + low average life expectancy = impending population crash)

Europe(EU): To be a true superpower Europe would not only have achieve a greater degree of political integration, but would also have to invest in building a strong unified military. I don't see the political will within Europe for doing either, and I can't imagine it developing within the next 40 years.
Pro: Atlanticism, globalism, classical liberalism, free trade, moderate nationalism, religion
Anti: Communism, fascism, anarchism, protectionism, extreme nationalism, fundamentalism (political or religious)

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Caninope wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Why are people thinking the USA is going to collapse or die?

Why do people think that China can just call in it's portion of the US debt and force the US into bankruptcy?

Because they know nothing of the actual situation.

Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Caninope wrote:Why do people think that China can just call in it's portion of the US debt and force the US into bankruptcy?

Because they know nothing of the actual situation.

Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Yes, yes you do. Now kiss my ring, peasant.

Also, I'm sigging that.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Soviet Russia Republic
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Russia Republic » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Alyska wrote:USA and China. Also India as an outside possibility.

Brazil: An emerging great power, but doesn't have quite a large enough population base to become a true superpower.

Russia: Still hasn't come to grips with the fact that it is no longer a superpower, but probably would not be able to regain superpower status within next 40 years despite its best efforts. Besides being held back by authoritarianism and government corruption, it has major demographic issues (i.e. low birth rate + low average life expectancy = impending population crash)

Europe(EU): To be a true superpower Europe would not only have achieve a greater degree of political integration, but would also have to invest in building a strong unified military. I don't see the political will within Europe for doing either, and I can't imagine it developing within the next 40 years.

Russia's population has been growing. It has also seeing birthrates grow largely throughout the different regions. This in thanks in part to government increasing efforts to provide social support to new families over the years. You also see the average life expectancy increasing over time, thanks in part to increasing investments into healthcare over the years. At the same time there's a large number of immigrants that enter Russia. There is no "impending population crash". Corruption is granted a large problem, but has been slowly been going down. It's not like China and India don't have huge amounts of corruption either.

I don't think Brazil's main problem would be it's population level or an obstacle to reaching superpower status possibility in the future. It already has a fairly large population level.
Last edited by Soviet Russia Republic on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Head of Government: Lenia Baikova
Head of State: Vasily Kebin
Population: 172 million
Economy: Command
Religion: State Atheism
Chest' i Slava Rossii
Pro:Russia|Serbia|Norway|Just Russia|CSTO|Secularism|Social Equality
Anti:Nazism|Stalinism|Racism|Homophobia|Religious Extremism|Terrorism

Oceasia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 21, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Oceasia » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:51 am

Ghirich wrote:Japan -- Indonesia -- South Africa

What? That's completely wrong.

Japan's population is decreasing, gas prices increases, like, what, 50% in Indonesia, (Altito, please tell me, i haven't watch the news lately), and i think South Africa is just not that influential, although they are regional power, i think.
..()_()
.(o - o) /\
...|.....\/...\
...|......\vvv\
...|.)|.)(..)===<<<
Economic Left/Right= -3.0
Social Liberal/Authoritarian= -4.41
You are 2.8% Evil.
You are 17.9% Lawful.
Alignment: True Neutral
Jurassic World has announced a new attraction coming this June. No other details were given.

No, my nation isn't ruled by dinosaurs

Madda
Diplomat

Founded: May 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Madda » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:28 am

China will collapse soon, either politicall and or economically.
The US has gotta do something fast if we want to reclaim our position.

And China isn't a superpower at the moment.
The Madda Empire is a monarchy. We have a strong social safety net and all of our businesses are government owned in a form of state-capitalism.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:59 am

Oceasia wrote:
Ghirich wrote:Japan -- Indonesia -- South Africa

What? That's completely wrong.

Japan's population is decreasing, gas prices increases, like, what, 50% in Indonesia, (Altito, please tell me, i haven't watch the news lately), and i think South Africa is just not that influential, although they are regional power, i think.

Prices of fuel are on rise in Indonesia. And we do still in drafting a conscription constitution in Indonesia. However, Indonesia will only able to be regional power.
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Oceasia
Negotiator

Postby Oceasia » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:01 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Oceasia wrote:What? That's completely wrong.

Prices of fuel are on rise in Indonesia. And we do still in drafting a conscription constitution in Indonesia. However, Indonesia will only able to be regional power.

We are already, and is currently, a regional power, though. 8)
..()_()
.(o - o) /\
...|.....\/...\
...|......\vvv\
...|.)|.)(..)===<<<
You are 2.8% Evil.
You are 17.9% Lawful.
Jurassic World has announced a new attraction coming this June. No other details were given.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:03 am

Oceasia wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

We are already, and is currently, a regional power, though. 8)

The most stable. Malaysia's democracy system is not very good. Singapore possess the most technologically advanced army, I think. The others have such a small chance to be the regional power.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Oceasia
Negotiator

Postby Oceasia » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:04 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Oceasia wrote:We are already, and is currently, a regional power, though. 8)

The most stable. Malaysia's democracy system is not very good. Singapore possess the most technologically advanced army, I think. The others have such a small chance to be the regional power.

Singapore is most technologically advanced in the region.
..()_()
.(o - o) /\
...|.....\/...\
...|......\vvv\
...|.)|.)(..)===<<<
You are 2.8% Evil.
You are 17.9% Lawful.

Mandicoria
Senator

Founded: Sep 10, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Mandicoria » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:06 am

It could be Molossia
silly little creature, she/they
apologies if im like, really aloof. this site has an affect on me.
What if Humanity was as Important as it thought it was... But it turned out to not be a very good thing.
also i rip off warhammer, DOOM, and halo unapologetically
Highly suggest listening to this when reading anything I post about this nation.
A [1.18] civilization, according to this index.

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:08 am

Oceasia wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

Singapore is most technologically advanced in the region.

Small and advanced.
Stormwrath wrote:
Or Tito.

A proud Nationalist

Oceasia
Negotiator

Postby Oceasia » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:09 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Oceasia wrote:Singapore is most technologically advanced in the region.

Small and advanced.

Small countries are usually advanced
..()_()
.(o - o) /\
...|.....\/...\
...|......\vvv\
...|.)|.)(..)===<<<
You are 2.8% Evil.
You are 17.9% Lawful.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General