NATION

PASSWORD

They make *what* for kids!?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:So since this is becoming about gun control, let me just whip out the killer here. It's not mine, but it's perfect.

“Imagine if millions of people in your country wanted to regulate computers. Except, they knew next to nothing about computers. A majority of people that want to regulate computers have never even touched one. They don’t know the difference between RAM and a motherboard. They know computers are used to do things like connect to some internet thing they’ve never been on, and have “word processors and stuff” that they’ve never seen, but they don’t understand what these things are used for. They know there are laws regulating computers and their use to some degree, but they don’t really understand those laws, because they’ve never read them.

What they want is to enact laws that limit the use of computers, but because they know next to nothing about computers, the laws they want to enact don’t make any sense. For example, they want to stop identity theft on this internet thing, so they want to pass a law that only allows you to use computers with 2GB of RAM installed, no more. That will curb identity theft online, they say.

They want to stop software piracy, so they say we should pass a law that says you can only own one computer per household.

When you tell them these things don’t make any sense, they call you a computer nut and tell you that they hope the FBI raids your home for illegal computers and shoots you. They point out that foreign nations have fewer computers than we do, and that they’re doing great because of it. They draw bizarre analogies like suggesting that if you want to own a computer, "does that mean you should get to own mind control devices, too?

This is what gun grabbers sound like to gun owners. They do not know what they’re talking about, because they’re firearms illiterate. They do not make sense."

False equivalence is false. Gun owner arguments sound like this to advocates for sensible controls: "My rights! Cold dead hands! You're illiterate! It's not an assault weapon! Fuck the state! I have to defend myself from the government!" You do not make sense.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

German Shepherds
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby German Shepherds » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:The federal government. An armed populace is the only thing keeping the citizen safe from those who wish to harm the citizen. Just because that now we don't have somebody seeking to harm the people doesn't mean we won't.

Show me how guns helped citizens protect from Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and military dictatorships all over the world.

Protip: They didn't.

Yeah, 1 man with a gun can overtake the squad of Nazis or Soviets coming into his home shooting him. And I don't think most of them were allowed guns :palm:
For: Canoli's, NFL, Christmas, Thanksgiving, pizza, ice cream, watermelon, doggies, snow, summer nights, Santa Claus

Against: Slushy stuff that snow turns into after it rains, feminists,I kinda dislike anime, when people call American Football "egghand" because that is a stupid name even if it has some logic

Zhe pure und righteous rashe of dogs und canine zhuperiors zhat are deshtined to vrule zhe vorld! -The New Sea Territory

I am Roman Catholic.
Don't ask to source everything I say.
Blazedtown wrote:
German Shepherds wrote:We don't have a toy industry if relations with China go south.

We don't need the PRC, we have Santa.

Dulkadar
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dulkadar » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:So since this is becoming about gun control, let me just whip out the killer here. It's not mine, but it's perfect.

“Imagine if millions of people in your country wanted to regulate computers. Except, they knew next to nothing about computers. A majority of people that want to regulate computers have never even touched one. They don’t know the difference between RAM and a motherboard. They know computers are used to do things like connect to some internet thing they’ve never been on, and have “word processors and stuff” that they’ve never seen, but they don’t understand what these things are used for. They know there are laws regulating computers and their use to some degree, but they don’t really understand those laws, because they’ve never read them.

What they want is to enact laws that limit the use of computers, but because they know next to nothing about computers, the laws they want to enact don’t make any sense. For example, they want to stop identity theft on this internet thing, so they want to pass a law that only allows you to use computers with 2GB of RAM installed, no more. That will curb identity theft online, they say.

They want to stop software piracy, so they say we should pass a law that says you can only own one computer per household.

When you tell them these things don’t make any sense, they call you a computer nut and tell you that they hope the FBI raids your home for illegal computers and shoots you. They point out that foreign nations have fewer computers than we do, and that they’re doing great because of it. They draw bizarre analogies like suggesting that if you want to own a computer, "does that mean you should get to own mind control devices, too?

This is what gun grabbers sound like to gun owners. They do not know what they’re talking about, because they’re firearms illiterate. They do not make sense."

I didn't realize you could kill people from hundreds of feet away with a computer
Formerly Saruhan

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:
Well, the tool of institutional theft and violence deemed "Federal Government". Others who violate my rights. Anything I need to defend my life against (wild animal, foreign invader).

And don't pull the "we have tanks, you has shoguns" argument.

It would be better to attack with rifles than with stones.

Not really. As is obvious from this post, having guns only gives you the delusion that you could beat the federal government, which means at some point you might try. If you only had rocks, you would realize beforehand that you'd be screwed anyways.

I don't care whether you say I "could beat them". If they go overboard on taking my rights, I have the responsibility to defend them. I will take up arms. I will die, if necessary.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The Broken Imperial Sector
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Broken Imperial Sector » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

German Shepherds wrote:
The Broken Imperial Sector wrote:Thanks, but the minute they come to my door ordering me to hand my gun over well they can pull it from my cold dead hands after I put some rounds down range.

:clap:

High five? :D
We can not allow this nation or this world to be destroyed from the inside out!

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

This^. And because of the threadjack, in b4 the lock.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

The Legion of War
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Legion of War » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Mavorpen wrote:I'm sure those cheetahs in Kenya would definitely respect your imaginary natural rights.

They are not imaginary. You just have lived without them and dwell in the state's war-mongering arms.

And cheetahs are not humans. They do not apply.

Humans are animals. Therefore animals have rights in nature.

And no predator would respect any of your rights.

Rights wasn't even a concept back when we were wild.
IC Stuff:
This nation does NOT represent my real life views.
The FT Nation Index, making it easier for FT players to connect.

OCC Stuff:
Pro: Everything you hate
Con: Everything you love
Info: Straight Hispanic Male, Canadian. Speaks fluent Spanish and English, and some French. If you speak French, I'd love to have someone to practice with, even if it is just typing. Same deal with Spanish.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Dulkadar wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:The federal government. An armed populace is the only thing keeping the citizen safe from those who wish to harm the citizen. Just because that now we don't have somebody seeking to harm the people doesn't mean we won't.

Who? Who in over 200 years of American history had the Feds not been able to defeat, and rely upon citizen militias?

The Federal Government.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Dulkadar wrote:

I didn't realize you could kill people from hundreds of feet away with a computer

Well, you can. Actually, you can kill from thousands of miles with a computerized drone.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Broken Imperial Sector » Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:Not really. As is obvious from this post, having guns only gives you the delusion that you could beat the federal government, which means at some point you might try. If you only had rocks, you would realize beforehand that you'd be screwed anyways.

I don't care whether you say I "could beat them". If they go overboard on taking my rights, I have the responsibility to defend them. I will take up arms. I will die, if necessary.

Bump it and then high five it! Second amendment all day now and forever!

German Shepherds
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby German Shepherds » Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

False equivalence is false. Gun owner arguments sound like this to advocates for sensible controls: "My rights! Cold dead hands! You're illiterate! It's not an assault weapon! Fuck the state! I have to defend myself from the government!" You do not make sense.

What doesn't make sense is you guys thinking you're doing good when you're infringing my rights that I AM INTITLED TOO and that SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.
For: Canoli's, NFL, Christmas, Thanksgiving, pizza, ice cream, watermelon, doggies, snow, summer nights, Santa Claus

Against: Slushy stuff that snow turns into after it rains, feminists,I kinda dislike anime, when people call American Football "egghand" because that is a stupid name even if it has some logic

Zhe pure und righteous rashe of dogs und canine zhuperiors zhat are deshtined to vrule zhe vorld! -The New Sea Territory

I am Roman Catholic.
Blazedtown wrote:
German Shepherds wrote:We don't have a toy industry if relations with China go south.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:

Show me how guns helped citizens protect from Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and military dictatorships all over the world.

Protip: Normally their first action is making sure the citizens are unarmed.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Dulkadar wrote:

Who? Who in over 200 years of American history had the Feds not been able to defeat, and rely upon citizen militias?

That just flew right over your head, didn't it?
Hath said that just because there's not a threat now doesn't mean we live in Candyland forevermore, and that there will never again be a threat to public safety that requires large-scale civilian insurrection or militia activity.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

German Shepherds
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby German Shepherds » Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

The Broken Imperial Sector wrote:
German Shepherds wrote: :clap:

High five? :D

Heck yeah!

I am Roman Catholic.
Blazedtown wrote:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:Not really. As is obvious from this post, having guns only gives you the delusion that you could beat the federal government, which means at some point you might try. If you only had rocks, you would realize beforehand that you'd be screwed anyways.

And then you hopefully realize real life isn't Call of Duty.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Dulkadar
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dulkadar » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm

German Shepherds wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Yeah, 1 man with a gun can overtake the squad US Marines or M1 Abrams Tanks coming into his home shooting him. And I don't think most of them were allowed guns :palm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_partisans#Areas_of_operations
Formerly Saruhan

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Hathradic States wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:What do you need protection from?

The federal government. An armed populace is the only thing keeping the citizen safe from those who wish to harm the citizen. Just because that now we don't have somebody seeking to harm the people doesn't mean we won't.

Riiiight.

You tell me how that 9mm handgun is going to protect you from a tank battalion. I'm sure it'll go swimmingly for you. Perhaps when the 2nd amendment was enacted this made some sort of sense. In the modern day, with modern military tech that blows anything civilians can even dream of owning out of the water, even if it were legal, there is little sense to this argument.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Hathradic States wrote:Protip: Normally their first action is making sure the citizens are unarmed.

Right, that's why Hitler loosened Weirmar Republic gun laws.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:

The secret is that most of them banned or heavily restricted guns first.
Fixed for inaccuracy.
Last edited by The Serbian Empire on Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Broken Imperial Sector » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

Because that's every conservatives view on fighting right?

German Shepherds
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby German Shepherds » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Hathradic States wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Protip: Normally their first action is making sure the citizens are unarmed.

And the populace could definetly take down the squads of Nazis coming into their homes

I am Roman Catholic.
Blazedtown wrote:

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

I do. This isn't constructive at all. You are just trying to incite me.

I will defend my rights, with pen or sword.

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Irresponsible marketing campaign by gun manufacturer and unbelievably stupid parents. Both deserve to be bitchslapped by the Universe and the citizenship.

That's all I can say. I am utterly overwhelmed by the idiocy of this horror.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Broken Imperial Sector » Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 pm

German Shepherds wrote:
The Broken Imperial Sector wrote:High five? :D

Heck yeah!

Alright hell ya!

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Dulkadar wrote:

You're more liable to miss the point than a Kalashnikov, aren't you?
It's called an analogy. It's meant to help you understand something by giving you a point of view you can comprehend.
Last edited by Neo Arcad on Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General