NATION

PASSWORD

They make *what* for kids!?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
The New Sea Territory wrote:
No. In a state of nature, I would have these rights. That proves they are natural.

They are natural. Enough said they are absolute. In a civilized society, the only just way to remove them is when the individual forfeits them via aggression or crime (which are usually one in the same).

No you wouldn't. In a state of nature, you would be torn to shreds by predators. You could maybe argue liberty, but not the other two.

And that is where responsibility exists: I have the responsibility to defend my rights.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

German Shepherds
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby German Shepherds » Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Diopolis wrote:
The Whispers wrote:"the boy received the rifle made for youths"

It's right in the OP. Right there.

Made for youths does not necessarily mean made for five-year-olds. There are 12 year olds who look like they're eight(I would know, I was one).

You seriously think that when they sent the application for "Youths," they thought it was a five year old? Because youth can be up to 13.
For: Canoli's, NFL, Christmas, Thanksgiving, pizza, ice cream, watermelon, doggies, snow, summer nights, Santa Claus

Against: Slushy stuff that snow turns into after it rains, feminists,I kinda dislike anime, when people call American Football "egghand" because that is a stupid name even if it has some logic

Zhe pure und righteous rashe of dogs und canine zhuperiors zhat are deshtined to vrule zhe vorld! -The New Sea Territory

I am Roman Catholic.
Don't ask to source everything I say.
Blazedtown wrote:
German Shepherds wrote:We don't have a toy industry if relations with China go south.

We don't need the PRC, we have Santa.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Well, I don't think not having guns will protect us.

What do you need protection from?

The federal government. An armed populace is the only thing keeping the citizen safe from those who wish to harm the citizen. Just because that now we don't have somebody seeking to harm the people doesn't mean we won't.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
No. In a state of nature, I would have these rights. That proves they are natural.

They are natural. Enough said they are absolute. In a civilized society, the only just way to remove them is when the individual forfeits them via aggression or crime (which are usually one in the same).

No you wouldn't. In a state of nature, you would be torn to shreds by predators. You could maybe argue liberty, but not the other two.

You mean nature isn't like Disney movies where the animals sing and help you get dressed in the morning?
Last edited by Mavorpen on Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Yeah Fuck No.

My Rights are absolute until I as an individual violate another's rights through crime or aggression (or both).

I have never shot another human being, therefore I can keep my guns.

Who said you can't keep them?

Look, I know you have a fetish for guns, but you could at least stop with the childish persecution conplex.

I don't think he should be allowed to keep his guns.
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Seangoli wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:This is what we call a critical failure to parent. Purchasing a gun for a kid is one thing- it's not dangerous IF YOU KEEP THE GUN LOCKED UP, TEACH GUN SAFETY, AND WATCH YOUR DAMN KIDS. But leaving it out, loaded, and in a position where the kid could get it? WTF?

Furthermore: this was clearly not an accidental discharge. It's a .22, meaning he must have fired and hit the toddler in her torso or head at fairly close range, otherwise it wouldn't have been fatal. This was intentional on the five-year-old's part. Perhaps he was jealous of his baby sister?

I use to deer hunt with .22 calibers all the damn time. They are perfectly lethal at good distance. I have met more people than I care to imagine who think a .22 is basically a BB gun. It's not. It's a god-damn deadly weapon that shoots bullets which can taken down a 100+ lb animal with ease. On a human, it's equally as deadly at range. Small caliber does not mean non-lethal or close range.

Fact of the matter is, the gun company is being blatantly stupid with how they market it. By calling it a "youth rifle" they are implying that is less dangerous than larger caliber rifles-something which simply is beyond stupid. There is nothing "child"-like about a .22 caliber rifle. There is nothing less dangerous about the gun than any other gun. It is, like all guns, designed to kill. Shame on the company for marketing this trash, and shame on the parents for being absolute idiots with the gun.

This too.

Hathradic States
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hathradic States » Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 pm

German Shepherds wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:Yeah, good luck with that plan.

I'll laugh when all the collectors get a bullet to their head.

I'll laugh when I put one in their head from a kilometer out.

Liberals: Honestly I was wrong bout em.
I swear I'm not as terrible as you remember.
Sadly Proven Right in 2016
Final text here.

The Broken Imperial Sector
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Broken Imperial Sector » Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Dulkadar wrote:
The Broken Imperial Sector wrote:Ya that's what my post was all about right?

Yeah. basically. You threatening death on a government official. Have fun with the FBI

Thanks, but the minute they come to my door ordering me to hand my gun over well they can pull it from my cold dead hands after I put some rounds down range.
We can not allow this nation or this world to be destroyed from the inside out!

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

So since this is becoming about gun control, let me just whip out the killer here. It's not mine, but it's perfect.

“Imagine if millions of people in your country wanted to regulate computers. Except, they knew next to nothing about computers. A majority of people that want to regulate computers have never even touched one. They don’t know the difference between RAM and a motherboard. They know computers are used to do things like connect to some internet thing they’ve never been on, and have “word processors and stuff” that they’ve never seen, but they don’t understand what these things are used for. They know there are laws regulating computers and their use to some degree, but they don’t really understand those laws, because they’ve never read them.

What they want is to enact laws that limit the use of computers, but because they know next to nothing about computers, the laws they want to enact don’t make any sense. For example, they want to stop identity theft on this internet thing, so they want to pass a law that only allows you to use computers with 2GB of RAM installed, no more. That will curb identity theft online, they say.

They want to stop software piracy, so they say we should pass a law that says you can only own one computer per household.

When you tell them these things don’t make any sense, they call you a computer nut and tell you that they hope the FBI raids your home for illegal computers and shoots you. They point out that foreign nations have fewer computers than we do, and that they’re doing great because of it. They draw bizarre analogies like suggesting that if you want to own a computer, "does that mean you should get to own mind control devices, too?

This is what gun grabbers sound like to gun owners. They do not know what they’re talking about, because they’re firearms illiterate. They do not make sense."
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

You mean nature isn't like Disney movies where the animals sing and help you get dressed in the morning?

Nope. I mean the state of nature where everything that walks, stalks and squats in the mud wants to eat me.

I still have those rights. I simply have to defend them. That is Self-Defense Responsibility.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Who said you can't keep them?

Look, I know you have a fetish for guns, but you could at least stop with the childish persecution conplex.

I don't think he should be allowed to keep his guns.

May I ask why?
Wait, nevermind, you specified him, I can see why.
Last edited by Vareiln on Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

That's shitty parenting right there...
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:What do you need protection from?

Well, the tool of institutional theft and violence deemed "Federal Government". Others who violate my rights. Anything I need to defend my life against (wild animal, foreign invader).

And don't pull the "we have tanks, you has shoguns" argument.

It would be better to attack with rifles than with stones.

Not really. As is obvious from this post, having guns only gives you the delusion that you could beat the federal government, which means at some point you might try. If you only had rocks, you would realize beforehand that you'd be screwed anyways.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

JAYMALL LAND
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby JAYMALL LAND » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Vareiln wrote:
JAYMALL LAND wrote:The sad thing is they can look like toys I was at a hunting store and some mother asked my if these were the toy guns, because she wanted to buy 1 for her son she didnt believe they were real until she looked at the price the gun was bright blue they even make bright pink ones for little girls.

Plus, all these loopholes with airsofts and whatnot can make it very hard to distinguish what's a toy/airsoft and what's real.

She was looking for a BB gun for her 10 year old im talking metal BBs but my self as a gun owner I'm not here to bash anyone the responsibility lied with the parents you can buy safety locks or guns for as little as 10 bucks no matter the price they do the job
Reform Party Member
Senator Jamal Omar, PhD
Philadelphia Eagles Fan
I believe theirs a god above me I'm just the god of everything else.
'If babies had guns they wouldn't be aborted.' -Rep. Stockman

German Shepherds
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby German Shepherds » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

The Broken Imperial Sector wrote:
Dulkadar wrote:Yeah. basically. You threatening death on a government official. Have fun with the FBI

Thanks, but the minute they come to my door ordering me to hand my gun over well they can pull it from my cold dead hands after I put some rounds down range.

:clap:
For: Canoli's, NFL, Christmas, Thanksgiving, pizza, ice cream, watermelon, doggies, snow, summer nights, Santa Claus

Against: Slushy stuff that snow turns into after it rains, feminists,I kinda dislike anime, when people call American Football "egghand" because that is a stupid name even if it has some logic

Zhe pure und righteous rashe of dogs und canine zhuperiors zhat are deshtined to vrule zhe vorld! -The New Sea Territory

I am Roman Catholic.
Don't ask to source everything I say.
Blazedtown wrote:
German Shepherds wrote:We don't have a toy industry if relations with China go south.

We don't need the PRC, we have Santa.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Mavorpen wrote:I'm sure those cheetahs in Kenya would definitely respect your imaginary natural rights.

They are not imaginary. You just have lived without them and dwell in the state's war-mongering arms.

And cheetahs are not humans. They do not apply.

Which means they're imaginary.

Wow. You know the difference between a cheetah and a human. You must feel so proud of this obvious statement that doesn't address anything.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Hathradic States wrote:
German Shepherds wrote:I'll laugh when all the collectors get a bullet to their head.

I'll laugh when I put one in their head from a kilometer out.

Hahahaha

Isn't murder of government officials so funny?
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed May 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Hathradic States wrote:The federal government. An armed populace is the only thing keeping the citizen safe from those who wish to harm the citizen. Just because that now we don't have somebody seeking to harm the people doesn't mean we won't.

Show me how guns helped citizens protect from Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and military dictatorships all over the world.

Protip: They didn't.

Dulkadar
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dulkadar » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Hathradic States wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:What do you need protection from?

The federal government. An armed populace is the only thing keeping the citizen safe from those who wish to harm the citizen. Just because that now we don't have somebody seeking to harm the people doesn't mean we won't.

Who? Who in over 200 years of American history had the Feds not been able to defeat, and rely upon citizen militias?
Formerly Saruhan

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Mavorpen wrote:You mean nature isn't like Disney movies where the animals sing and help you get dressed in the morning?

Nope. I mean the state of nature where everything that walks, stalks and squats in the mud wants to eat me.

I still have those rights. I simply have to defend them. That is Self-Defense Responsibility.

So you have the rights, you just don't have the rights.

Got it.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:Nope. I mean the state of nature where everything that walks, stalks and squats in the mud wants to eat me.

Samuraikoku wrote:Repeating something over and over doesn't make it more true.

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Algonquin Ascendancy wrote:Oui, you should.

Might as well torch the Constitution while you're at it and destroy the basis of American laws.

The ability to modify the US constitution is included in the US constitution...
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm

The Broken Imperial Sector wrote:
Dulkadar wrote:Yeah. basically. You threatening death on a government official. Have fun with the FBI

Yup, definitely understanding what Makki was saying now.

The Broken Imperial Sector
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Broken Imperial Sector » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:The federal government. An armed populace is the only thing keeping the citizen safe from those who wish to harm the citizen. Just because that now we don't have somebody seeking to harm the people doesn't mean we won't.

Show me how guns helped citizens protect from Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and military dictatorships all over the world.

Because they took their damn guns away first. :p
We can not allow this nation or this world to be destroyed from the inside out!

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:

The Nazis took away the people's guns. That was literally the first thing they did. There's a reason for that.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General