NATION

PASSWORD

What do you think of America's ability to lead the West

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of the US leading the Free World?

America being the leader is good for the Free World
23%
American being the leader is bad for the Free World
26%
America being the leader is good for America
25%
America being the leader is bad for America
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 344

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:21 pm

I think that there needs to be some definition of terms. Because while clearly the United States wields a lot of influence in the modern world, when we talk about 'leading it' and being 'dominant', what exactly are we talking about?

Looking through the thread, it seems that we're predominantly talking about our military power and presence.

In the last few decades, with all of our military superiority, with all of our power, we've managed to get ourselves drug through wars with postage stamp sized countries that have a fraction of our spending, our 'solutions' to previous problems have turned around to be bigger problems than what they supposedly solved, and we've created a giant tax dollar sinkhole that is somehow a political third rail.

What has this 'leadership' done for us? Slightly cheaper gas than the rest of the 'free' world?

What is the return on investment of this 'leadership'? What are even getting out of it?

Right now I feel like it's the over-yolked guy at the gym flexing in front of the mirror and laughing at all the fit cats doing cardio.

...alright, that wasn't a very good analogy.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

United Kingdom of Muffins
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Kingdom of Muffins » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:23 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Miyager wrote:
Could battleships be utilized anywhere in the world in 15 minutes time to completely level a city?

I understand the situation before WW1, and the thing is it had been a catastrophe waiting to happen for years prior.

I'm not comparing the technology of the early 20th century to the early 21st century...I'm comparing the degree of arrogance/naivety people seem to have at that time to now. We all think our world, our technology and our political environment is somehow unique. That this point in time is somehow our defining moment. It's not.

I think it's always a pivotal moment. We can make choices that affect future outcomes, we can like always make negative or positive choices.
Pope Muffins
"Pretty girls digging prettier women" The Who, 5:15, from the album Quadrophenia
"Has God forgotten what I have done for him?" Louis XIV Of France

Miyager
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Miyager » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:24 pm

Miyager wrote:
Could battleships be utilized anywhere in the world in 15 minutes time to completely level a city?

I understand the situation before WW1, and the thing is it had been a catastrophe waiting to happen for years prior.

I'm not comparing the technology of the early 20th century to the early 21st century...I'm comparing the degree of arrogance/naivety people seem to have. We all think our world, our technology and our political environment is somehow unique. That this point in time is somehow our defining moment. It's not.

Certainly not the entire situation we're in now is unique. I'm not arguing that. But the world we're in now can't really be compared to before WW1, atleast not now, because we haven't hit that type of geopolitical setup yet.
I'm back I think.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Is America capable of leading the West? Yes.

Should it? No. Here, let me tell you how I see it. I live in an obscure country in the middle of nowhere. It just so happens I'd like my country to lead itself, not be lead by others. To quote Rise Against, "I don't need your help, I can stand my own ground." All the world's small insignificant nations would like to agree. We don't need America, or anyone, to lead us.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Arglorand wrote:Is America capable of leading the West? Yes.

Should it? No. Here, let me tell you how I see it. I live in an obscure country in the middle of nowhere. It just so happens I'd like my country to lead itself, not be lead by others. To quote Rise Against, "I don't need your help, I can stand my own ground." All the world's small insignificant nations would like to agree. We don't need America, or anyone, to lead us.

But you need someone to defend you.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 pm

United Kingdom of Muffins wrote:
I'm not comparing the technology of the early 20th century to the early 21st century...I'm comparing the degree of arrogance/naivety people seem to have at that time to now. We all think our world, our technology and our political environment is somehow unique. That this point in time is somehow our defining moment. It's not.

I think it's always a pivotal moment. We can make choices that affect future outcomes, we can like always make negative or positive choices.

Of course. It's attractive idea, too. Everybody wants to control how things turn out. They hate the idea of not being in control. But that doesn't make it so.

In any case, my point is we could make some good choices now and that may mean a few decades of relative peace. But nothing really lasts forever. We are not going to alter the ugliness of humanity. People are still going to discriminate, they are still interested in self above others, and they are going to resort to violence to reach their wants.
Last edited by Mike the Progressive on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Miyager wrote:
I'm not comparing the technology of the early 20th century to the early 21st century...I'm comparing the degree of arrogance/naivety people seem to have. We all think our world, our technology and our political environment is somehow unique. That this point in time is somehow our defining moment. It's not.

Certainly not the entire situation we're in now is unique. I'm not arguing that. But the world we're in now can't really be compared to before WW1, atleast not now, because we haven't hit that type of geopolitical setup yet.

Oh, I don't think a major war will happen anytime soon. I never said that. But I don't think nukes are forever going to remain deterrents. I think we will eventually use them. And when I say we I mean people in general.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Kingdom of Muffins » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:29 pm

United Kingdom of Muffins wrote:I think it's always a pivotal moment. We can make choices that affect future outcomes, we can like always make negative or positive choices.

Of course. It's attractive idea, too. Everybody wants to control how things turn out. They hate the idea of not being in control. But that doesn't make it so.

In any case, my point is we could make some good choices now and that may mean a few decades of relative peace. But nothing really lasts forever. We are not going to alter the ugliness of humanity. People are still going to discriminate, they are still interested in self above others, and they are going to resort to violence to reach their wants.

I have to believe in something, so I choose humanity.
Pope Muffins
"Pretty girls digging prettier women" The Who, 5:15, from the album Quadrophenia

Voldoviana
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Voldoviana » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Why don't we just go back to isolationism and leave everyone alone?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm

I kind of struggle between my hopes for humanity and my cynicism of it, so I understand.

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm

I stopped believing in humanity long ago. The largest group I believe in is the American people.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Voldoviana wrote:Why don't we just go back to isolationism and leave everyone alone?

Because it didn't work the first time we tried it, and it didn't work after we tried it again.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby United Kingdom of Muffins » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Voldoviana wrote:Why don't we just go back to isolationism and leave everyone alone?

Having poorer countries buy our crap makes corporations money.
Pope Muffins

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
Arglorand wrote:Is America capable of leading the West? Yes.

But you need someone to defend you.

We have no one to be defended from. See, here's the thing. Unlike America, Russia and China, which involve themselves in imperialist expansion throughout the world, small countries have no enemies because we create no enemies except for other small countries, and that's growing ever rarer.

Not to mention, I never said anything about military cooperation. I'm perfectly fine with, say, NATO when it's a defensive alliance and not a way of dragging Europe into America's wars.

Leave us alone, pls, and let us find our own path.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Miyager
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Miyager » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Miyager wrote:

Oh, I don't think a major war will happen anytime soon. I never said that. But I don't think nukes are forever going to remain deterrents. I think we will eventually use them. And when I say we I mean people in general.

I don't think nukes per se are going to remain our deterrent's forever either. I just don't see a wide-scale use of them as feared in say, the 80's. We'll eventually hit a point where we can negate their effectiveness and from there it'll go.
I'm back I think.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 pm

Miyager wrote:
Except we now live in a time where even with a once more multipolar world, everything is so vastly different that it can't be compared.

I recall reading a book written by a British author (and for the love of God, I can't recall at the moment), who argued that the world is different since the turn of the century. We are more connected than ever with trade, with communication, new technology and new weapons, all of which will prevent an all out war. He said the insanity of war as being unprofitable (as it would disrupt trade) and the sheer advancement in military technology would act as a deterrent that no sane world leader would possibly consider an option.

Of course the problem being, the book was written a year or two before WW1 broke out.

Strange how we always think this time it's different, that we are somehow the exception to 6,000 years of human violence. Oh well. History be damned, we never learn.

It was by Norman Angell and it was called "The Great Illusion".

Personally I believe in the hegemonic stability theory and think that an international system in which there is only one superpower is conducive to peace, even if that superpower does occasionally go on vicious, foolish and bloody adventures. It is better than a number of very powerful states having the ability to go on vicious foolish and bloody adventures over competing interests.

Nonetheless, how long is America's preponderant status going to last? And what happens when we once again return to a multi-polar system?
Last edited by EnragedMaldivians on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taking a break.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:34 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:
I recall reading a book written by a British author (and for the love of God, I can't recall at the moment), who argued that the world is different since the turn of the century. We are more connected than ever with trade, with communication, new technology and new weapons, all of which will prevent an all out war. He said the insanity of war as being unprofitable (as it would disrupt trade) and the sheer advancement in military technology would act as a deterrent that no sane world leader would possibly consider an option.

Of course the problem being, the book was written a year or two before WW1 broke out.

Strange how we always think this time it's different, that we are somehow the exception to 6,000 years of human violence. Oh well. History be damned, we never learn.

Personally I believe in the hegemonic stability theory and think that an international system in which there is only one superpower is conducive to peace, even if that superpower does occasionally go on vicious, foolish and bloody adventures. It is better than a number of very powerful states having the ability to go on vicious foolish and bloody adventures over competing interests.

Nonetheless, how long is America's preponderant status going to last? And what happens when we once again return to a multi-polar system?

What do you think will happen?

Voldoviana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voldoviana » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Because it didn't work the first time we tried it, and it didn't work after we tried it again.

When exactly was that? During the majority of its history, when we were just fine? Or right after WWI, where a depression caused by unpaid war debt and devastation of farm land caused catastrophe?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:

Nonetheless, how long as America's pre-ponderant status going to last? And what happens when we once again return to a multi-polar system?

Thank you! :)

And I agree. But our hegemony won't last forever, and I fear with multi-polarity does rise again, we'll have several wars, until it worsens and we have a big one.

Voldoviana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voldoviana » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Having poorer countries buy our crap makes corporations money.

Can't we let people sell shit and not get the government involved? Or is that too alien a concept now in days?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Voldoviana wrote:

When exactly was that? During the majority of its history, when we were just fine? Or right after WWI, where a depression caused by unpaid war debt and devastation of farm land caused catastrophe?

First, isolationism is an illusion. The US has never been "isolationist." From two wars we had with the greatest empire (Britain), to our involvement in the Pacific (the Philippines, Guam, Hawaii, China) to a war with Mexico, the US has never been isolationist. So there's nothing back to return to.

Second, simply hoping the world fixes itself doesn't mean it will. And eventually that war will spill onto you, it can be something as direct as an invasion of your neighbor or something as slight as obstructing trade. But it will happen. And I'd rather be prepared when it does than having my thumb up my bum screaming isolationism.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:43 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:

Nonetheless, how long as America's pre-ponderant status going to last? And what happens when we once again return to a multi-polar system?

Thank you! :)

And I agree. But our hegemony won't last forever, and I fear with multi-polarity does rise again, we'll have several wars, until it worsens and we have a big one.

The only really promising concept IR offers is the democratic-peace thesis. No liberal democracy has every gone to war with each other, and that's certainly something to consider.

Investing in democratization seems to be the best bet the world has for lasting peace, even though I am wary of the zeal with which (genuine) Neo-Cons such as Donald Kagan want to pursue that goal.

Trollgaard wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:

What do you think will happen?

I don't know. I would probably say more conflict. Without the American deterrent factor I fear the Saudis and the Iranians may eventually come to blows over their competing interests in Bahrain or Syria for instance. I don't know enough about East Asia to even guesstimate.
Taking a break.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:43 pm

If not them, who else?
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Voldoviana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Voldoviana » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Voldoviana wrote:When exactly was that? During the majority of its history, when we were just fine? Or right after WWI, where a depression caused by unpaid war debt and devastation of farm land caused catastrophe?

First, isolationism is an illusion. The US has never been "isolationist." From two wars we had with the greatest empire (Britain), to our involvement in the Pacific (the Philippines, Guam, Hawaii, China) to a war with Mexico, the US has never been isolationist. So there's nothing back to return to.

Second, simply hoping the world fixes itself doesn't mean it will. And eventually that war will spill onto you, it can be something as direct as an invasion of your neighbor or something as slight as obstructing trade. But it will happen. And I'd rather be prepared when it does than having my thumb up my bum screaming isolationism.

Saying that being isolationist denies any sort of military buildup or interest ignores the concept of isolationism is simply staying out of everyone else's business unless it directly impacts you. That does not include turning a blind eye to the world around you and plodding along as bombs go off, it means keeping a close eye at the gun on your hip while you refuse to take sides until someone directly throws the first punch. You make it seem like isolationism is just having the government herpaderp around as the nukes fall.

Secondly, yes, the US has been isolationism on an off. The examples you listed were either wars of founding or wars and operations undertaken at the turn of the century, war that have, for the most part, negatively impacted the US.

New Rome Pax
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rome Pax » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Fortunagen wrote:Does anyone else believe in the possible rise of Brazil?

Brazil's infrastructure seems to be improving and the overall quality of life is higher than the majority of the rest of South America. Plus, it is a huge market in a resource-rich region with no real entanglements in the rest of the outside World.

Brazil, India and Turkey are countries I think will rise to the status of world powers.

Are you sure about India? I've been there, and it was the most disgusting place I've ever seen. The small amount of educated there may be trying to advance, but the rest of the population doesn't care. Anyways, I love your perspective.
Edward Talleyrand,
Prime Minister of the Land of Kings and Emperors

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General