NATION

PASSWORD

The Economist Says Affirmative Action Is Bad Unsurprise

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Evraim
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:Sure, the person born with the silver spoon in his mouth has an advantage. It is not fair for the govt. to try to punish him for this fact. The govt's job is to have equal policies for everybody with admissions. Best merits and ability to pay wins.

The legitimacy of your statement rather depends on the definition of fairness to which one subscribes. You seem to accept the assertion that certain individuals possess unearned advantages over others as a result of privilege. This does not contradict the sociological studies confirming that socioeconomic status is almost always hereditary - at least in the context of the United States. Rich people, generally speaking, will produce rich offspring, while poor people, generally speaking, will produce poor offspring. Is it fair that the circumstances of one's birth should determine their access to institutions of higher learning? To careers? This doesn't even take into consideration the issues of proportional representation and diversity.

Lastly, how do we know that the children of privilege possess more merit than the children of destitution when the latter probably have yet to realize their full potential on account of their lower socioeconomic status? Wouldn't it be fairer to assume that the children of destitution possess more merit than their test scores and grades demonstrate because the full extent of their merit is concealed by their lack of access to basic social institutions? For all we know, the poor students could have been and could be far more accomplished than the wealthy students when set on a level playing field.

Freiheit Reich wrote:A poor person could have studied at the library (which is free) and worked hard in school (also free). If he didn't than that was his choice. It is not the govts. job to show compassion and sympathy and punish the wealthier applicant to favor the poorer one.

This presumes that the neighborhood in question actually possesses an adequate library, and that the student in question had acquired the knowledge to access the institution in question. A repository of information is, after all, only useful in so far as it may be reasonably employed in the intellectual improvement of the self. This also presumes, without justification, that the neighborhood in question could boast educational facilities as reputable as those of more affluent neighborhoods. In the United States, this assertion is quite laughable when one considers that schools are, by and large, funded locally. Affluent neighborhoods can provide better quality education because the affluent possess the economic capital necessary to invest in education. This is not the case for destitute neighborhoods. Finally, who mentioned punishment?

Freiheit Reich wrote:Besides, we were talking about race, not income. There are wealthy and middle class blacks. Race has nothing to do with wealth. If you tell me more blacks are poor I will point to Oprah Winfrey, Michael Jordon, Condaleeza Rice, Colin Powell, Hank Aaron, Dave Winfield, Kobe Bryant, and Dr. Walter Williams (among hundreds of famous and successful blacks I can name). The fact they are black did not stop them from becoming wealthy.

The existence of wealthy and middle-class blacks does not negate the statistical fact that blacks tend to be disproportionately impoverished as a result of unequal access to social institutions that promote the accumulation of wealth and other forms of social capital. I never argued that it was impossible for blacks to succeed, but rather that the current conditions within our society make it more difficult for them to do succeed compared to their white peers.
Last edited by Evraim on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:05 am

Ifreann wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote: Since those groups usually are poor people, it seems to average out.

Average elimination of discrimination isn't really good enough, is it?

Again tell me again how much more privileged the white trash homeless child is over Barrack Obama's daughters.

I wonder how I could again tell you again something I've never before said.

There's one privilege that overrides all others, and that is money.

And if you have money and are none the less discriminated against on some bullshit basis like race, that's still a bad thing.

*Last I checked there was no affirmative action for these groups.
It would be so easy to cheat that system, everyone would just say they were gay or a pre-op trans and you wouldn't be able to prove otherwise. It's not like you're going to go snooping into their bedrooms to make sure after all. ;)

It being hard does not convince me that we should not work to stop discrimination against gays and trans people.

**Since when are Gypsies requiring AF? I mean are you talking about the Gypsy race or someone who practices the Gypsy culture?

Since some people are bigoted against gypsies(I suppose Romani would be the more correct term). See also: Irish Travellers.

Farnhamia wrote:

Using facts? You must be a secret racist.

Disserbia wrote:In terms of strengthening the economy, yes, that is what matters.

There are concerns for people in the real world beyond the economy.
I am against bigotry just as I am against affirmative action personally and I will to my best to act against both, because discrimination on the basis of identity will never bring an end to discrimination on the basis of identity.

That's nice, but affirmative action isn't discrimination on the basis of identity.

Central Slavia wrote:Affirmative action is both unjust and bad. News at 11

I like how this quite literally makes black university students at that particular place inferior to white or asian ones, simply because they're held under much laxer criteria, thus giving fuel to negative stereotypes. Take that, equality.

Oh, because only blacks and minorities are allowed to be concerned with their own well-being. How brilliantly put, Ifreann. You know, beside the fact that no matter how many times you'll repeat it Goebbels-style, grossly favouring one group over another isn't equal treatment.

No matter how many times you'll repeat it "Goebbels-style", affirmative action does not involve grossly favouring one group over another. So sure, feel free to rant about the reverse racism you're imagining, or whatever. Let me know when you get back to actual Affirmative Action.

That's exactly what it is.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:09 am

Disserbia wrote:That's exactly what it is.

If you use the broadest definition of discrimination, yes.

Choosing someone more qualified for a job because of a higher degree is discrimination based on your identity.
Choosing someone more qualified for a job because of more work experience is discrimination based on your identity.
etc.

And yet, no mature, sensible person is calling for such things to be illegal. Because we understand that this discussion isn't occurring in the context of a broad, all encompassing definition of "discrimination."
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:13 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Disserbia wrote:That's exactly what it is.

If you use the broadest definition of discrimination, yes.

Choosing someone more qualified for a job because of a higher degree is discrimination based on your identity.
Choosing someone more qualified for a job because of more work experience is discrimination based on your identity.
etc.

And yet, no mature, sensible person is calling for such things to be illegal. Because we understand that this discussion isn't occurring in the context of a broad, all encompassing definition of "discrimination."

No it's not. That is completely different that is based on how effectively you can do the job, what race you are has nothing to do with that.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
PC:
PS:
PT:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 am

Disserbia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:If you use the broadest definition of discrimination, yes.

etc.

No it's not. That is completely different that is based on how effectively you can do the job, what race you are has nothing to do with that.

And yet, it's still discrimination.

discrimination  
Use Discrimination in a sentence
dis·crim·i·na·tion [dih-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of discriminating, or of making a distinction.
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.
Archaic. something that serves to differentiate.

Now you must describe why Affirmative Action is "completely different."
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:20 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Disserbia wrote:No it's not. That is completely different that is based on how effectively you can do the job, what race you are has nothing to do with that.

And yet, it's still discrimination.

discrimination  
Use Discrimination in a sentence
dis·crim·i·na·tion [dih-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
an act or instance of discriminating, or of making a distinction.
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.
Archaic. something that serves to differentiate.

Now you must describe why Affirmative Action is "completely different."

It is not discrimination on the basis of identity it is discrimination on the basis of qualification. There is nothing wrong with that.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:21 am

Disserbia wrote:It is not discrimination on the basis of identity it is discrimination on the basis of qualification. There is nothing wrong with that.

Whether you are qualified or not is a part of your identity. Having job experience is a part of your identity. Having a degree is a part of your identity.

This isn't complicated. You still didn't answer my question on why Affirmative Action is completely different.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:33 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Disserbia wrote:It is not discrimination on the basis of identity it is discrimination on the basis of qualification. There is nothing wrong with that.

Whether you are qualified or not is a part of your identity. Having job experience is a part of your identity. Having a degree is a part of your identity.

This isn't complicated. You still didn't answer my question on why Affirmative Action is completely different.

It's not discrimination because its part of your identity though it is discriminating on how effectively you can do the job based on your expertise in the field.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:34 am

Disserbia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Whether you are qualified or not is a part of your identity. Having job experience is a part of your identity. Having a degree is a part of your identity.

It's not discrimination because its part of your identity though it is discriminating on how effectively you can do the job based on your expertise in the field.

Which is your identity.

"He's a good physicist," is a comment on who you are, i.e. your identity.

"He's a good teacher," is a comment on who you are, i.e. your identity.

Really now, you're a native English speaker, aren't you? So why in the world are you completely ignoring what the word "identity" means so that you can live in your bubble where Affirmative Action is something it isn't?
Last edited by Mavorpen on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Disserbia wrote:It's not discrimination because its part of your identity though it is discriminating on how effectively you can do the job based on your expertise in the field.

Which is your identity.

Really now, you're a native English speaker, aren't you? So why in the world are you completely ignoring what the word "identity" means so that you can live in your bubble where Affirmative Action is something it isn't?

I'm not a native English speaker but that's besides the point. Hiring someone because they are more qualified to do a job is different than hiring them because of the color of their skin or anything that does not qualify them to do the job. Furthermore if two people have a degree and one has a higher gpa which signals a greater expertise in the field then hiring the person with the better gpa is not hiring them on the basis of identity, since both have a degree, it's hiring them because they are better qualified.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:46 am

Disserbia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Which is your identity.

I'm not a native English speaker but that's besides the point. Hiring someone because they are more qualified to do a job is different than hiring them because of the color of their skin or anything that does not qualify them to do the job. Furthermore if two people have a degree and one has a higher gpa which signals a greater expertise in the field then hiring the person with the better gpa is not hiring them on the basis of identity, since both have a degree, it's hiring them because they are better qualified.

Oh my are we trotting out the myth of the "most qualified candidate" AGAIN?

I swear, anyone who relies on that old chestnut has never actually made a hiring decision before.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 am

Disserbia wrote:I'm not a native English speaker but that's besides the point. Hiring someone because they are more qualified to do a job is different than hiring them because of the color of their skin or anything that does not qualify them to do the job.

And since the latter isn't Affirmative Action, I don't see the relevance of this statement.
Disserbia wrote:Furthermore if two people have a degree and one has a higher gpa which signals a greater expertise in the field then hiring the person with the better gpa is not hiring them on the basis of identity, since both have a degree, it's hiring them because they are better qualified.

Thank you for demonstrating you haven't read a single thing I've typed. I'll try this again.

Having a higher GPA is a part of your identity. When someone describes you compared to another person concerning who you are (your identity), they will state that your GPA is higher. Because that is a fact that describes you as a person. It describes your ability to no only obtain a degree, but do so on a higher level concerning grades. That. Is. Your. Identity. It is therefore hiring based on your identity.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 am

Neo Art wrote:
Disserbia wrote:I'm not a native English speaker but that's besides the point. Hiring someone because they are more qualified to do a job is different than hiring them because of the color of their skin or anything that does not qualify them to do the job. Furthermore if two people have a degree and one has a higher gpa which signals a greater expertise in the field then hiring the person with the better gpa is not hiring them on the basis of identity, since both have a degree, it's hiring them because they are better qualified.

I swear, anyone who relies on that old chestnut has never actually made a hiring decision before.

It's like they believe that employers belong to a hive mind where they all agree entirely on which qualities are worth more than others.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:51 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Disserbia wrote:I'm not a native English speaker but that's besides the point. Hiring someone because they are more qualified to do a job is different than hiring them because of the color of their skin or anything that does not qualify them to do the job.

And since the latter isn't Affirmative Action, I don't see the relevance of this statement.
Disserbia wrote:Furthermore if two people have a degree and one has a higher gpa which signals a greater expertise in the field then hiring the person with the better gpa is not hiring them on the basis of identity, since both have a degree, it's hiring them because they are better qualified.

Thank you for demonstrating you haven't read a single thing I've typed. I'll try this again.

Having a higher GPA is a part of your identity. When someone describes you compared to another person concerning who you are (your identity), they will state that your GPA is higher. Because that is a fact that describes you as a person. It describes your ability to no only obtain a degree, but do so on a higher level concerning grades. That. Is. Your. Identity. It is therefore hiring based on your identity.

You are arguing semantics because you know you have no point.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 am

Neo Art wrote:
Disserbia wrote:I'm not a native English speaker but that's besides the point. Hiring someone because they are more qualified to do a job is different than hiring them because of the color of their skin or anything that does not qualify them to do the job. Furthermore if two people have a degree and one has a higher gpa which signals a greater expertise in the field then hiring the person with the better gpa is not hiring them on the basis of identity, since both have a degree, it's hiring them because they are better qualified.

Logical fallacy alert.

PC:
PS:
PT:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:54 am

Disserbia wrote:You are arguing semantics because you know you have no point.

No, I'm arguing semantics because your entire "argument" relies on intentionally ignoring the meaning of the word "identity" so that you can pretend as though Affirmative Action is something it isn't.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 am

Disserbia wrote:
Neo Art wrote:

Logical fallacy alert.

Neo Art wrote:
Poisoning the well!

Post Hoc Ergo Proctor Hoc!

Undistributed Middle!

Appeal to Authority!

False Dilemma!

These and many more on the next edition of Yell out the Name of a Logical Fallacy!

Thank you for playing, Jimmy, tell him what he's won! Abso-fucking-lutely nothing!

When you're ready to have an actual conversation instead of feeling the need to yell out words with the squeeling delight of a 6 month old playing peek-a-boo, you know where to find me. Until then, you add absolutely nothing to the discussion.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The Economist Says Affirmative Action Is Bad Unsurprise

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed May 01, 2013 2:16 pm

Saiwania wrote:Yes, White people are decreasing globally as a percentage because of lower birth rates in majority White countries and no, not all Latinos are White because a lot of them do not have White skin or any significant European ancestry. Mestizos are only half White at best, being descended from Spanish conquistadors and South American natives.

The U.S. Census Bureau classifies over 80% of all Hispanics as "white".

Don't make me beat you up with statistical tables. Remember, I spent most of last fall going over demographic data in the service of analyzing the 2012 election polls and their meaning, so I'm not making this up.

Geilinor wrote:The government puts "Hispanics" under "race", so...

No, it does not. It considers "Hispanic" to be a multi-racial ethnic group, not a race.

If you look at the raw data from the U.S. Census Bureau, you will see that the Bureau classifies people by race as "Whites", "Blacks", "Asians" (or sometimes "Asians & Pacific Islanders"), "Native Americans & Alaskan Natives", and "Others"; "Hispanic" is a separate category. If you try adding up the numbers as though "Hispanic" was a race, you'll get totals that don't mesh with the data.

To actually get useful statistics involving Hispanics, you need to delve further into the data, in which case you will discover a more interesting set of classifications, including "Hispanic White", "Hispanic Black", "Hispanic Asian & Pacific Islander", "Non-Hispanic White", "Non-Hispanic Black", "Non-Hispanic Asian & Pacific Islander", and so forth. Clearly, the Census Bureau is not treating "Hispanic" as a race when it comes to their data, and the raw data shows this without any ambiguity.

Evraim wrote:I'm not exactly certain where people from the Indian Subcontinent go.

Asian & Pacific Islander.

Evraim wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:I dunno, Blagojevich sounds pretty Slavic. Everyone knows Slavs aren't even white.

I checked with Stormfront. Slavs aren't white. They're evil Commies. :p

This is the only real sense in which most Hispanics aren't "white"; it's just an extension of the same nativism that once declared that Italians, Poles, Greeks, and the Irish weren't really "white".
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:This is the only real sense in which most Hispanics aren't "white"; it's just an extension of the same nativism that once declared that Italians, Poles, Greeks, and the Irish weren't really "white".

For those of you who enjoy photos.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed May 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Saiwania wrote:You can't force people to like diversity. As soon as my neighborhood is no longer majority White, I'm leaving to move to Whiter pastures as soon as I can. Nothing personal against other races, but I want to enjoy the company of other White people and not stay where I'm in the minority. I happen to have a Black neighbor across the street and an Asian neighbor the next house down, but for the most part; I'm content with having no further dealings with them than necessary.

Well, at least you admit that you're a racist, then. Admission is the first step towards any cure, I suppose.

I'm curious, though: Why would you feel so threatened if this woman moved into your neighborhood that you would have to leave?

Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Wed May 01, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Saiwania wrote:You can't force people to like diversity. As soon as my neighborhood is no longer majority White, I'm leaving to move to Whiter pastures as soon as I can. Nothing personal against other races, but I want to enjoy the company of other White people and not stay where I'm in the minority. I happen to have a Black neighbor across the street and an Asian neighbor the next house down, but for the most part; I'm content with having no further dealings with them than necessary.

Well, at least you admit that you're a racist, then. Admission is the first step towards any cure, I suppose.

I'm curious, though: Why would you feel so threatened if this woman moved into your neighborhood that you would have to leave?

Because Alex is an attractive female, I will have a difficult time saying "no" to her. Therefore, because she is a minority and obviously lazy, she will take advantage of this and take my stuff.

Logic.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed May 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Mavorpen wrote:Because Alex is an attractive female, I will have a difficult time saying "no" to her. Therefore, because she is a minority and obviously lazy, she will take advantage of this and take my stuff.

Logic.

At least you'll be smiling when she leaves.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed May 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because Alex is an attractive female, I will have a difficult time saying "no" to her. Therefore, because she is a minority and obviously lazy, she will take advantage of this and take my stuff.

Logic.

At least you'll be smiling when she leaves.

Though I'd be unsure if it would be worth it.

Pfft, of course it would be.

Arfavia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arfavia » Sat May 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Saiwania wrote:With regards to the employers choosing White sounding names over Black sounding names bit, here are the top 20 "Black" names for male and female and the top 20 "White" names for male and female:

Black female: Imani, Ebony, Shanice, Aaliyah, Precious, Nia, Deja, Diamond, Asia, Aliyah, Jada, Tierra, Tiara, Kiara, Jazmine, Jasmin, Jazmin, Jasmine, Alexus, Raven.

Black male: DeShawn, DeAndre, Marquis, Darnell, Terrell, Malik, Trevon, Tyrone, Willie, Dominique, Demetrius, Reginald, Jamal, Maurice, Jalen, Darius, Xavier, Terrance, Andre, Darryl.

White female: Molly, Amy, Claire, Emily, Katie, Madeline, Katelyn, Emma, Abigail, Carly, Jenna, Heather, Katherine, Caitlin, Kaitlin, Holly, Allison, Kaitlyn, Hannah, Kathryn.

White male: Jake, Connor, Tanner, Wyatt, Cody, Dustin, Luke, Jack, Scott, Logan, Cole, Lucas, Bradley, Jacob, Garrett, Dylan, Maxwell, Hunter, Brett, Colin.

What do the Black sounding names have in common? Well, they are not proper English names. It appears to me that some employers aren't hiring Black people not because they're Black, but because the names objectively speaking do not sound sophisticated or professional.

Of course you aren't going to be hired with a name like "precious" or "moonbeam." If my parents named me something ridiculous, I would have it legally changed if I thought that my first name hinders more than helps me.

Reginald is a proper English name. Sir Reginald Briggs, for example, sounds like a proper English gentlemen to me.

But really, hiring based on whether a name is Anglo enough or not, is totally not racist... :roll:
Southern fist
Rise through the jungle mist
Clenched to smash power so cancerous
Black flag and a red star
A rising sun looming over Los Angeles

- RATM, War Within A Breath

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat May 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Disserbia wrote:
Neo Art wrote:

Logical fallacy alert.

:blink:

You might want to look up what that means.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General