NATION

PASSWORD

The Economist Says Affirmative Action Is Bad Unsurprise

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 am

Great Sofannia wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
You can't force people to like diversity. As soon as my neighborhood is no longer majority White, I'm leaving to move to Whiter pastures as soon as I can. Nothing personal against other races, but I want to enjoy the company of other White people and not stay where I'm in the minority. I happen to have a Black neighbor across the street and an Asian neighbor the next house down, but for the most part; I'm content with having no further dealings with them than necessary.

How many black people in the United States are criminals?

Counting traffic violations and loitering ?
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 am

Saiwania wrote:
greed and death wrote:This seems to suggest your avoiding 1/6 of the community in which you reside. This is not a good thing. Maybe some affirmative action programs are needed to expose you to a wider range of people.

You can't force people to like diversity. As soon as my neighborhood is no longer majority White, I'm leaving to move to Whiter pastures as soon as I can. Nothing personal against other races, but I want to enjoy the company of other White people and not stay where I'm in the minority. I happen to have a Black neighbor across the street and an Asian neighbor the next house down, but for the most part; I'm content with having no further dealings with them than necessary.

Now I'm not racist but: insert alarmingly racist tripe here

See, every time someone says the I'm not racist thing, they are.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 am

Khadgar wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

Now I'm not racist but: insert alarmingly racist tripe here

The funny part is that these "White pastures" will most likely be in the middle of nowhere in the Deep South where the majority of the individuals are poor as urban areas increasingly become more diverse.

Now he REALLY can't scream, "I'M NOT RACIST!" Really? You're willing to reduce your standard of living because you're scared of people who are different from you and you aren't racist? That's totally believable.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:35 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Khadgar wrote:

The funny part is that these "White pastures" will most likely be in the middle of nowhere in the Deep South where the majority of the individuals are poor as urban areas increasingly become more diverse.

Now he REALLY can't scream, "I'M NOT RACIST!" Really? You're willing to reduce your standard of living because you're scared of people who are different from you and you aren't racist? That's totally believable.

I live in Daviess County Indiana, 97.52% white in 2000. I grew up down in Pike County which is 99.10% white. It's entirely possible to go to white bread USA and stay in what is a nominally northern state.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:37 am

Khadgar wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:The funny part is that these "White pastures" will most likely be in the middle of nowhere in the Deep South where the majority of the individuals are poor as urban areas increasingly become more diverse.

I live in Daviess County Indiana, 97.52% white in 2000. I grew up down in Pike County which is 99.10% white. It's entirely possible to go to white bread USA and stay in what is a nominally northern state.

You...do realize I wasn't being literal, right?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:37 am

The Electoral College wrote:It is dissapointing that some would indeed leave an 'open door' to both races, <snip>

Both?
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:38 am

Khadgar wrote:See, every time someone says the I'm not racist thing, they are.

I never said that I wasn't racist, just that I don't see my reasons for not wanting much racial diversity in my life as being from any personal hatred of non-Whites. Granted, I never got along with Black people but did just fine with Asians.

greed and death wrote:No but I can force you to sit in a class with 1/6 black population.

I'm so fortunate then to be done with K-12. So far as college classes go, I don't care who attends. If I paid for the course, I'm going to it no matter what to get the most out of that investment.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 am

Saiwania wrote:I never said that I wasn't racist, just that I don't see my reasons for not wanting much racial diversity in my life as being from any personal hatred of non-Whites. Granted, I never got along with Black people but did just fine with Asians.

Ah yes, the old, "I'm not racist! I have friends who are minorities!"

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:41 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Saiwania wrote:I never said that I wasn't racist, just that I don't see my reasons for not wanting much racial diversity in my life as being from any personal hatred of non-Whites. Granted, I never got along with Black people but did just fine with Asians.

Ah yes, the old, "I'm not racist! I have friends who are minorities!"

Or the newer "I'm not homophobic! I have friends who are gay!"

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:50 am

Mavorpen wrote:Ah yes, the old, "I'm not racist! I have friends who are minorities!"

To be accurate, I had one friend who was Vietnamese American. But no, I don't have any friends in real life anymore. My only concern right now is finishing college and getting a car.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Ah yes, the old, "I'm not racist! I have friends who are minorities!"

To be accurate, I had one friend who was Vietnamese American. But no, I don't have any friends in real life anymore. My only concern right now is finishing college and getting a car.

You can practically hear the jaws dropping!

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Ifreann wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote: Since those groups usually are poor people, it seems to average out.

Average elimination of discrimination isn't really good enough, is it?
Nope, there's no point in eliminating Racial discrimination if you're just going to do class discrimination instead. That's still promoting bigotry. I can't see why it's impossible not to do both.
Poverty and homelessness are two thing that promotes racism, because it leads to scapegoating.

Ifreann wrote:
Again tell me again how much more privileged the white trash homeless child is over Barrack Obama's daughters.

I wonder how I could again tell you again something I've never before said.
I asked the question before, you didn't answer it.

And seeing this response below I think the answer to my question is you saying yes.

Ifreann wrote:
There's one privilege that overrides all others, and that is money.

And if you have money and are none the less discriminated against on some bullshit basis like race, that's still a bad thing.
Did you perhaps think "why" they are?

Did you perhaps think that one reason they are discriminated by race because people automatically assume that the only reason they got the money in the first place is because of AA and not because of hard work or effort? Because I have literally heard that argument coming from several racists, who in turn use that as an excuse to discriminate....
:palm:

Ifreann wrote:
*Last I checked there was no affirmative action for these groups.
It would be so easy to cheat that system, everyone would just say they were gay or a pre-op trans and you wouldn't be able to prove otherwise. It's not like you're going to go snooping into their bedrooms to make sure after all. ;)

It being hard does not convince me that we should not work to stop discrimination against gays and trans people.
What a person does in their bedroom or their personal self image should not be a basis for hiring period. I don't believe companies go around asking about people's sex lives... I hope :blink:

Besides, historically both groups weren't oppressed because in the 'old days' neither group 'existed' in the public eye because of the closet.

Ifreann wrote:
**Since when are Gypsies requiring AF? I mean are you talking about the Gypsy race or someone who practices the Gypsy culture?

Since some people are bigoted against gypsies(I suppose Romani would be the more correct term). See also: Irish Travellers.
Under that term, where "Every single group that faces bigotry" requires AA then I guess that means everyone needs it.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:51 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:Did you perhaps think "why" they are?

Did you perhaps think that one reason they are discriminated by race because people automatically assume that the only reason they got the money in the first place is because of AA and not because of hard work or effort? Because I have literally heard that argument coming from several racists, who in turn use that as an excuse to discriminate....
:palm:

What an utterly stupid conclusion.

Anyone stupid enough to believe that is almost certainly racist in the first place. Entertaining their racism by getting rid of AA and essentially giving them free reign to brag, "SEE!? I was right!" is downright idiotic. These same fucking people would whine and complain that a black man who owns a fancy car in the 1940s must have stolen it. Should we ban black people from owning cars or else it might incite racial tensions? Oh, what about the white supremacist groups that have grown since Obama's election? Should we ban black people from becoming president?

What a pathetic idea.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Founded: May 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:
Yes, any policies favoring one race over another need to be ended

Which isn't Affirmative Action.

http://www.civilrights.org/monitor/summ ... rt7p1.html

Supreme Court Upholds Use of Race in Admissions Decisions

In a closely watched decision on affirmative action, the U.S. Supreme Court reaffirmed that universities may take race into consideration as one factor among many when selecting incoming students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grutter_v._Bollinger

Grutter v. Bollinger, 539 U.S. 306 (2003), was a landmark case in which the United States Supreme Court upheld the affirmative action admissions policy of the University of Michigan Law School. Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Which isn't Affirmative Action.

In a closely watched decision on affirmative action, the U.S. Supreme Court reaffirmed that universities may take race into consideration as one factor among many when selecting incoming students.

Grutter v. Bollinger, 539 U.S. 306 (2003), was a landmark case in which the United States Supreme Court upheld the affirmative action admissions policy of the University of Michigan Law School. Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

...And?

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:57 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

...And?

Upholds use of RACE!!! Using race in your decision making is racial discrimination.
Your political compass

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:...And?

Upholds use of RACE!!! Using race in your decision making is racial discrimination.

No, it isn't.

It's discrimination, but not racial discrimination.

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Freiheit Reich wrote:

No, it isn't.

Fits the definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ ... rimination
Your political compass

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No, it isn't.

Fits the definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ ... rimination

You definitely need glasses.

Or you need to understand that "discrimination" has multiple definitions.

Evraim
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Great Sofannia wrote:You should accept everyone who meets the qualifications. No racial shit, no class size limits, none of that. No limitations. Everyone is welcome.

Ignoring scarcity.

Mavorpen wrote:You definitely need glasses.

We discriminate against criminals, for example, by locking them into prison cells so that they are segregated from the general population for a predefined period of time. At this point in time, the Supreme Court considers this wholly constitutional. Of course, they could be a den of clandestine racists...
Last edited by Evraim on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Evraim wrote:
Great Sofannia wrote:You should accept everyone who meets the qualifications. No racial shit, no class size limits, none of that. No limitations. Everyone is welcome.

Ignoring scarcity.

Mavorpen wrote:You definitely need glasses.

We discriminate against criminals, for example, by locking them into prison cells so that they are segregated from the general population for a predefined period of time. At this point in time, the Supreme Court considers this wholly constitutional. Of course, they could be a den of clandestine racists...

No, criminals get in via their merits (or lack of) while racial discrimination means accepting someone of lesser merits because the happen to have been born with a different race and/or color of skin.

Merits and ability to pay should be the only factor for admissions into university.
Your political compass

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:No, criminals get in via their merits (or lack of) while racial discrimination means accepting someone of lesser merits because the happen to have been born with a different race and/or color of skin.

That's not Affirmative Action, so why is this relevant?
Freiheit Reich wrote:Merits and ability to pay should be the only factor for admissions into university.

Why do you hate the constitution?

Evraim
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:No, criminals get in via their merits (or lack of) while racial discrimination means accepting someone of lesser merits because the happen to have been born with a different race and/or color of skin.

Merits and ability to pay should be the only factor for admissions into university.

I was discussing discrimination generally.

You do realize that a student who grew up in an economically disadvantaged household in a neighborhood with poor access to quality education would find it far more difficult to recognize their full potential than a middle-class student who grew up in suburban luxury with more than adequate access to the finest educational institutions in the nation, yes? Why then should we treat these two distinct individuals precisely the same when considering university admissions when one student may not have reached their full potential? There are arguments against affirmative action, but I have no intention of making those arguments for you at this point.

Freiheit Reich
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Freiheit Reich » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Evraim wrote:

I was discussing discrimination generally.

You do realize that a student who grew up in an economically disadvantaged household in a neighborhood with poor access to quality education would find it far more difficult to recognize their full potential than a middle-class student who grew up in suburban luxury with more than adequate access to the finest educational institutions in the nation, yes? Why then should we treat these two distinct individuals precisely the same when considering university admissions when one student may not have reached their full potential? There are arguments against affirmative action, but I have no intention of making those arguments for you at this point.

Sure, the person born with the silver spoon in his mouth has an advantage. It is not fair for the govt. to try to punish him for this fact. The govt's job is to have equal policies for everybody with admissions. Best merits and ability to pay wins.

A poor person could have studied at the library (which is free) and worked hard in school (also free). If he didn't than that was his choice. It is not the govts. job to show compassion and sympathy and punish the wealthier applicant to favor the poorer one.

Besides, we were talking about race, not income. There are wealthy and middle class blacks. Race has nothing to do with wealth. If you tell me more blacks are poor I will point to Oprah Winfrey, Michael Jordon, Condaleeza Rice, Colin Powell, Hank Aaron, Dave Winfield, Kobe Bryant, and Dr. Walter Williams (among hundreds of famous and successful blacks I can name). The fact they are black did not stop them from becoming wealthy.
Your political compass

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Freiheit Reich wrote:If you tell me more blacks are poor I will point to Oprah Winfrey, Michael Jordon, Condaleeza Rice, Colin Powell, Hank Aaron, Dave Winfield, Kobe Bryant, and Dr. Walter Williams (among hundreds of famous and successful blacks I can name).

Wouldn't surprise me since you seem to be incapable of actually addressing people's arguments.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General