NATION

PASSWORD

The Economist Says Affirmative Action Is Bad Unsurprise

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:So you don't believe race is a sociological issue.

How utterly naive of you.

He has said indirectly that he does.

He has said, basically, that "certain ethnicities/races are more likely to be impoverished" - which strongly implies that it is a sociological issue.

The reason AA targets minorities is because they are more likely to be poor. But there are also poor whites - who get screwed over - and middle- and upper-class minorities - who get an advantage from AA even though they might not need it.

Wow. You might want to actually read through the ENTIRE discussion before replying to a post like that. It makes you look dishonest.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Kromar wrote:The issue is that affirmative action, which indirectly is meant to level the playing field of socioeconomic factors for college/university, is being used instead of a more directly helpful action.

My issue with affirmative action is that it lets inferior minority students, or prospective employees take the spots of superior students or prospective employees, if the superior students happened to be from a racial majority/masculine sex.
As the article said, Asian students can be over 400 points superior than blacks and still be edged out by the black person. This is obviously racial discrimination, and since I'm not racist I don't support racial discrimination.

What?

No. That's not how AA works.

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Democratic Koyro wrote:
Clearly the "Affirmative Action" they have in the US is different to "Positive Discrimination Affirmative Action" in the UK. Mandating Diversity makes it non-colourblind.

Because in every single case, diversity just means "MOAR BLACK PPLZ!"

Oh yes, diversity can never be increased with more white people.

Given that white people are the majority - albeit a decreasing one - in the US, it's much more difficult...
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because in every single case, diversity just means "MOAR BLACK PPLZ!"

Given that white people are the majority - albeit a decreasing one - in the US, it's much more difficult...

Congratulations, you can make completely obvious observations that don't refute the post at all.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:

Congratulations, you can make completely obvious observations that don't refute the post at all.

I didn't say it refuted the post at all. In fact, I agree completely that there are cases where "diversity" can be increased with white (male)s

But those cases are a small minority.

The other thing I would like to note - how come there have been virtually no arguments about gender-based AA, only race?
Last edited by Phocidaea on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Kromar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kromar » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:46 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:
Kromar wrote:The issue is that affirmative action, which indirectly is meant to level the playing field of socioeconomic factors for college/university, is being used instead of a more directly helpful action.

My issue with affirmative action is that it lets inferior minority students, or prospective employees take the spots of superior students or prospective employees, if the superior students happened to be from a racial majority/masculine sex.
As the article said, Asian students can be over 400 points superior than blacks and still be edged out by the black person. This is obviously racial discrimination, and since I'm not racist I don't support racial discrimination.

What?

Where did I miss the mark?
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Round and round, and up and down, and back and forth again; Nobody ever loses, 'cause nobody ever wins.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:49 pm

There's no quota system, there's no "unqualified" black people taking jobs from "qualified" white folks.

All it means is, in the US, that between two otherwise equal candidates you will take diversity into account. Which means AA could very will give a white man the job over a minority woman, just as it could the reverse.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Kromar wrote:
The Steel Magnolia wrote:
What?

Where did I miss the mark?

Affirmative Action is simply taking race, sex, gender, etc. into consideration. Making any of those the dominant factor, and not ability is a whole different ballgame that. "Unqualified" individuals being chosen over qualified individuals occurs independently of Affirmative Action.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evraim
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because in every single case, diversity just means "MOAR BLACK PPLZ!"

Is the percentage of white people decreasing? I thought it was increasing, especially due to immigration from Latin America and the fact that American Latinos tend to reproduce more than other demographics, which most likely has something to do with Catholicism.

Kromar
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kromar » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Kromar wrote:Where did I miss the mark?

Affirmative Action is simply taking race, sex, gender, etc. into consideration. Making any of those the dominant factor, and not ability is a whole different ballgame that. "Unqualified" individuals being chosen over qualified individuals occurs independently of Affirmative Action.

I'm not worried about unqualified minorities being chosen, I'm worried about less qualified minorities being chosen. As that article said, asians who score 400 points on the SAT above a black person are less likely to be accepted for admission than said black person.

The Steel Magnolia wrote:There's no quota system, there's no "unqualified" black people taking jobs from "qualified" white folks.

All it means is, in the US, that between two otherwise equal candidates you will take diversity into account. Which means AA could very will give a white man the job over a minority woman, just as it could the reverse.

That is obviously untrue. AA comes in to play in more instances than in a choice between the theoretical "totally equal except race" pair of individuals. Asians who score 400 points above a black person on the SAT are less likely to be accepted into a university than said black person.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Round and round, and up and down, and back and forth again; Nobody ever loses, 'cause nobody ever wins.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Kromar wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Affirmative Action is simply taking race, sex, gender, etc. into consideration. Making any of those the dominant factor, and not ability is a whole different ballgame that. "Unqualified" individuals being chosen over qualified individuals occurs independently of Affirmative Action.

I'm not worried about unqualified minorities being chosen, I'm worried about less qualified minorities being chosen. As that article said, asians who score 400 points on the SAT above a black person are less likely to be accepted for admission than said black person.

Which isn't affirmative action.

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Kromar wrote:I'm not worried about unqualified minorities being chosen, I'm worried about less qualified minorities being chosen. As that article said, asians who score 400 points on the SAT above a black person are less likely to be accepted for admission than said black person.

If that is not affirmative action, then please explain to us your definition of it.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Kromar
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kromar » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Kromar wrote:I'm not worried about unqualified minorities being chosen, I'm worried about less qualified minorities being chosen. As that article said, asians who score 400 points on the SAT above a black person are less likely to be accepted for admission than said black person.

So the Economist just threw in a non sequitor? How is that not affirmative action?

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Cosara wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Which isn't affirmative action.

If that is not affirmative action, then please explain to us your definition of it.

What Kromar describes is actual violation of the controls set in place by the courts to prevent ridiculous abuses of affirmative action.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm

Cosara wrote:

Already have. Go read.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Kromar wrote:

So the Economist just threw in a non sequitor? How is that not affirmative action?

Yes. This is obvious as shit.

Did you know that whites are three times as likely to be accepted to the top private universities as Asians? Let me guess, Affirmative Action at its best, right? Oh wait...
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Cosara wrote:

It is counting diversity as a factor in admissions/employment etc.
Now at least 3 justices think it is quotas in disguised.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:49 pm

Kromar wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
Wow...

Fine, I'll hold your hand.

If you acknowledge that race is a sociological problem, then you admit that it needs to be solved. So tell me. Why in the world can't we address it simply because there is a larger problem? What sensible, mature person uses an argument akin to "okay, I see that your finger has been chopped off. Unfortunately, we can only deal with one problem at a time, so we'll deal with the biggest threat." No, forget about addressing all spectrums of the problem. Only focus on one thing because it's of bigger consequence. Why can't we address both? Seriously, why? Are people that incompetent? If so we might as well throw in the towel right fucking now.

What a childish, pathetic, and irresponsible worldview.

The issue is that affirmative action, which indirectly is meant to level the playing field of socioeconomic factors for college/university, is being used instead of a more directly helpful action.

Affirmative action should apply to all minorities. It isn't just, "HELP THE BLACK PEOPLE!".
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Evraim wrote:Is the percentage of white people decreasing? I thought it was increasing, especially due to immigration from Latin America and the fact that American Latinos tend to reproduce more than other demographics, which most likely has something to do with Catholicism.

Yes, White people are decreasing globally as a percentage because of lower birth rates in majority White countries and no, not all Latinos are White because a lot of them do not have White skin or any significant European ancestry. Mestizos are only half White at best, being descended from Spanish conquistadors and South American natives.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Evraim wrote:Is the percentage of white people decreasing? I thought it was increasing, especially due to immigration from Latin America and the fact that American Latinos tend to reproduce more than other demographics, which most likely has something to do with Catholicism.

Yes, White people are decreasing globally as a percentage because of lower birth rates in majority White countries and no, not all Latinos are White because a lot of them do not have White skin or any significant European ancestry. Mestizos are only half White at best, being descended from Spanish conquistadors and South American natives.

Those are the conditions for being White?

I must say, this is a fantastic demonstration of the absurdity of race as a valid taxonomic system for humans.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Saiwania wrote:

Not all Latinos are white, but many are. A plurality of Mexico's population is white.

Evraim
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Saiwania wrote:Yes, White people are decreasing globally as a percentage because of lower birth rates in majority White countries and no, not all Latinos are White because a lot of them do not have White skin or any significant European ancestry. Mestizos are only half White at best, being descended from Spanish conquistadors and South American natives.

The United States government considers most Mestizos white to my knowledge. I stopped caring when it became too difficult to tell skin colors apart. That happened around kindergarten. As such, I rely on preexisting institutions to determine my view of sociological constructs such as race. Of course, if any of my Mestizo friends ask me to recognize them as brown or black, I have no problem obliging. According to the bureaucrats, I'm white. This is all I know of race, and significantly more than I care to know.
Last edited by Evraim on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Evraim wrote:
Saiwania wrote:Yes, White people are decreasing globally as a percentage because of lower birth rates in majority White countries and no, not all Latinos are White because a lot of them do not have White skin or any significant European ancestry. Mestizos are only half White at best, being descended from Spanish conquistadors and South American natives.

The United States government considers most Mestizos white to my knowledge. I stopped caring when it became too difficult to tell skin colors apart. That happened around kindergarten. As such, I rely on preexisting institutions to determine my view of sociological constructs such as race. Of course, if any of my Mestizo friends ask me to recognize them as brown or black, I have no problem obliging.

The government puts "Hispanics" under "race", so...

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Mavorpen wrote:Those are the conditions for being White? I must say, this is a fantastic demonstration of the absurdity of race as a valid taxonomic system for humans.

What do you propose should be the criteria for being White or any x race? It is common sense that to be White, you need to have White skin and what is White skin most commonly associated with? European ancestry.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Evraim
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Geilinor wrote:The government puts "Hispanics" under "race", so...

Not in Texas. Every single form mentions "Hispanic Whites" and "Non-Hispanic Whites". We also have "African-Americans", "Asian and Pacific Islanders", and "Native Americans". People from the Middle East are thrown into the "Non-Hispanic White" category. I'm not exactly certain where people from the Indian Subcontinent go.

Saiwania wrote:What do you propose should be the criteria for being White or any x race? It is common sense that to be White, you need to have White skin and what is White skin most commonly associated with? European ancestry.

Mestizos have European ancestry. In fact, most African Americans have European ancestry. We're all snowmen.
Last edited by Evraim on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General