NATION

PASSWORD

The Economist Says Affirmative Action Is Bad Unsurprise

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:24 pm

The Electoral College wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:I will try again
Income and property inequality is the dominant sociological issue that these programs are trying to tackle indirectly.
That said, I appreciate your attempts to force me to answer in one of two ways which would fit you, yet have nothing to do with my point. It's vaguely clever, though it gets boring fast.

Then offer reasons why the question is supposedly irrelevant, rather than merely sitting in a corner dodging.

It's hilarious, isn't it? He more than likely sees the giantigaping hole in his argument and is trying to glide over it.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Income and property inequality is the dominant sociological issue that these programs are trying to tackle indirectly.
That said, I appreciate your attempts to force me to answer in one of two ways which would fit you, yet have nothing to do with my point. It's vaguely clever, though it gets boring fast.

So you don't believe race is a sociological issue.

How utterly naive of you.

So you don't believe income inequality is the key factor.
I'd say 'how utterly naive', if I was sure it was, rather than you simply pushing an agenda.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:So you don't believe race is a sociological issue.

I'd say 'how utterly naive', if I was sure it was, rather than you simply pushing an agenda.

Oh no, I do. I also agree race is a sociological problem. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Nice try though. Really, it is indeed sad you don't believe race is a sociological problem.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Electoral College
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Electoral College » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:27 pm

The Batorys wrote:A publication run by and marketed mainly to white people is against affirmative action?

You don't say.

A body composed of mostly old white men has ruled affirmative action consistent with the ultimate end of racial desegregation?

You don't say.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Do explain, I would love to learn.

Well for one the State should be completely colourblind (or race blind, whichever you prefer). It's just bad to treat people differently because of their race, be it favourably or unfavourably.

Thankfully, AA is colourblind.

Or rather, it just introduces and mandates diversity as an additional consideration.

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:32 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:
Democratic Koyro wrote:
Well for one the State should be completely colourblind (or race blind, whichever you prefer). It's just bad to treat people differently because of their race, be it favourably or unfavourably.

Or rather, it just introduces and mandates diversity as an additional consideration.

Clearly the "Affirmative Action" they have in the US is different to "Positive Discrimination Affirmative Action" in the UK. Mandating Diversity makes it non-colourblind.
Last edited by Democratic Koyro on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:
The Steel Magnolia wrote:

Clearly the "Affirmative Action" they have in the US is different to "Positive Discrimination Affirmative Action" in the UK. Mandating Diversity makes it non-colourblind.

Because in every single case, diversity just means "MOAR BLACK PPLZ!"

Oh yes, diversity can never be increased with more white people.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:So you don't believe income inequality is the key factor.

Oh no, I do. I also agree race is a sociological problem. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Nice try though. Really, it is indeed sad you don't believe race is a sociological problem.

Except that both being sociological problems does not mean both problems have the same scale. And the disadvantage imposed on a person by having a low income are the dominant factor.
Or are you trying to say that whatever ethnic minority kid from a family earning let's say, 3 times minimum wage (which isentirely consistent with what the article states) needs state help while a white kid whose parents work at minimum wage levels doesn't?
Because if not, then it means that the correct key to distribute such aid by is socioeconomic factors, and if yes, I'm calling bullshit.
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Democratic Koyro wrote:

irrelvent comment. Although i forgot putting words in the mouth of your opponent is a typical liberal tactic.
Last edited by Democratic Koyro on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because in every single case, diversity just means "MOAR BLACK PPLZ!"

irrelvent comment. Although i forgot putting words in the mouth of your opponent is a typical liberal tactic.

Not really. It's just a couple of them giving the rest a bad name.
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Because in every single case, diversity just means "MOAR BLACK PPLZ!"

Then it's colorblind.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Oh no, I do. I also agree race is a sociological problem. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Except that both being sociological problems does not mean both problems have the same scale. And the disadvantage imposed on a person by having a low income are the dominant factor.
Or are you trying to say that whatever ethnic minority kid from a family earning let's say, 3 times minimum wage (which isentirely consistent with what the article states) needs state help while a white kid whose parents work at minimum wage levels doesn't?
Because if not, then it means that the correct key to distribute such aid by is socioeconomic factors, and if yes, I'm calling bullshit.

Please stop attacking Charlie.

If you honestly haven't seen the gaping hole in your argument, that people can do more than one thing at a time, then you haven't given this much thought.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:

Please stop attacking Charlie.

If you honestly haven't seen the gaping hole in your argument, that people can do more than one thing at a time, then you haven't given this much thought.

If you honestly can't understand that the fact that there are a number of contributing factors in a problem does not mean they are of the same scale or relative importance, then you haven't given this much thought either.

Regardless , toodles for the night.
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:

The Electoral College
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The Electoral College » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Please stop attacking Charlie.

If you honestly can't understand that the fact that there are a number of contributing factors in a problem does not mean they are of the same scale or relative importance, then you haven't given this much thought either.

number of contributing factors

So race should be one of them?

In a holistic review?

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary wrote:ho·lis·tic
adjective \hō-ˈlis-tik\
1: of or relating to holism
2: relating to or concerned with wholes or with complete systems rather than with the analysis of, treatment of, or dissection into parts <holistic medicine attempts to treat both the mind and the body> <holistic ecology views humans and the environment as a single system>

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Please stop attacking Charlie.

Wow...

Fine, I'll hold your hand.

If you acknowledge that race is a sociological problem, then you admit that it needs to be solved. So tell me. Why in the world can't we address it simply because there is a larger problem? What sensible, mature person uses an argument akin to "okay, I see that your finger has been chopped off. Unfortunately, we can only deal with one problem at a time, so we'll deal with the biggest threat." No, forget about addressing all spectrums of the problem. Only focus on one thing because it's of bigger consequence. Why can't we address both? Seriously, why? Are people that incompetent? If so we might as well throw in the towel right fucking now.

What a childish, pathetic, and irresponsible worldview.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:So you don't believe race is a sociological issue.

You're putting the cart before the horse. The income inequality post-dates the racial inequality, it doesn't predate it. The racial inequality has been in the USA (which was, after all, a nation that practised slavery on the basis of race and in which even freed non-whites couldn't become citizens) since its founding.

Or, to put it another way: the income inequality is the result of racism, not the cause of it. To deal with the inequality, the racism must first be resolved - and what you propose is to leave the institutionalised racism alone, and to instead put a bandaid on the income inequality.

That won't help, and it will give the right wing cover to attack the idea of government intervention - because they'll be able to point at this and say, "See? Gubbermint can't do anything right!"
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:05 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:So you don't believe income inequality is the key factor.

You're putting the cart before the horse. The income inequality post-dates the racial inequality, it doesn't predate it. The racial inequality has been in the USA (which was, after all, a nation that practised slavery on the basis of race and in which even freed non-whites couldn't become citizens) since its founding.

Or, to put it another way: the income inequality is the result of racism, not the cause of it. To deal with the inequality, the racism must first be resolved - and what you propose is to leave the institutionalised racism alone, and to instead put a bandaid on the income inequality.

That won't help, and it will give the right wing cover to attack the idea of government intervention - because they'll be able to point at this and say, "See? Gubbermint can't do anything right!"

Nonsense. If you solve income inequality the magical Free Market fairy will descend from the heavens in the form of Reagan and destroy institutionalized slavery with a snap of its fingers.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:06 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:

Nonsense. If you solve income inequality the magical Free Market fairy will descend from the heavens in the form of Reagan and destroy institutionalized slavery with a snap of its fingers.

Play nice, Mavorpen. Please?
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:09 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Nonsense. If you solve income inequality the magical Free Market fairy will descend from the heavens in the form of Reagan and destroy institutionalized slavery with a snap of its fingers.

...What?
Last edited by Mavorpen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:

...What?

You know what. Caustic wit won't convince anyone who isn't already in the choir :P

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:...What?

You know what. Caustic wit won't convince anyone who isn't already in the choir :P

We're in a choir? I have to warn you, I can't sing at all.

Kromar
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kromar » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:

Wow...

If you acknowledge that race is a sociological problem, then you admit that it needs to be solved. So tell me. Why in the world can't we address it simply because there is a larger problem? What sensible, mature person uses an argument akin to "okay, I see that your finger has been chopped off. Unfortunately, we can only deal with one problem at a time, so we'll deal with the biggest threat." No, forget about addressing all spectrums of the problem. Only focus on one thing because it's of bigger consequence. Why can't we address both? Seriously, why? Are people that incompetent? If so we might as well throw in the towel right fucking now.

The issue is that affirmative action, which indirectly is meant to level the playing field of socioeconomic factors for college/university, is being used instead of a more directly helpful action.

My issue with affirmative action is that it lets inferior minority students, or prospective employees take the spots of superior students or prospective employees, if the superior students happened to be from a racial majority/masculine sex.
As the article said, Asian students can be over 400 points superior than blacks and still be edged out by the black person. This is obviously racial discrimination, and since I'm not racist I don't support racial discrimination.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Round and round, and up and down, and back and forth again; Nobody ever loses, 'cause nobody ever wins.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Kromar wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
Wow...

The issue is that affirmative action, which indirectly is meant to level the playing field of socioeconomic factors for college/university, is being used instead of a more directly helpful action.

My issue with affirmative action is that it lets inferior minority students, or prospective employees take the spots of superior students or prospective employees, if the superior students happened to be from a racial majority/masculine sex.
As the article said, Asian students can be over 400 points superior than blacks and still be edged out by the black person. This is obviously racial discrimination, and since I'm not racist I don't support racial discrimination.

Mavorpen wrote:Not really an argumrnt against affirmative action.

More like an argument against irrational practices in the educational system that only hinder students that occur with or without affirmative action.

Evraim
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Democratic Koyro wrote:

Diversity is a good thing, but the question is whether we should force institutions to be diverse or not, no?

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

So you don't believe race is a sociological issue.

He has said indirectly that he does.

He has said, basically, that "certain ethnicities/races are more likely to be impoverished" - which strongly implies that it is a sociological issue.

The reason AA targets minorities is because they are more likely to be poor. But there are also poor whites - who get screwed over - and middle- and upper-class minorities - who get an advantage from AA even though they might not need it.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General