NATION

PASSWORD

Mississippi High School Sued Over Forced Religious Assembly

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Libertarian California
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian California » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Religious people acting like retarded mouth-breathers.

News at 11.
I'm a trans-beanstalk giantkin. My pronouns are fee/fie/foe/fum.

American nationalist

I am the infamous North California (DEATed 11/13/12). Now in the NS "Hall of Fame", or whatever
(Add 2137 posts)

On the American Revolution
Everyone should watch this video

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Knives are used to vandalize property, to break into buildings, and (in extreme cases) to kill people

Therefore, knives are a danger to a free society, and we would be better off without them.

Well I've never seen any practical use for religion. I have seen many practical uses for knives.

I mean, my issue with religion is that it's the worst of both possible worlds. Not only does it attract stupid people (like every ideology and media-related thing) but it serves no real purpose. I mean... What practical purpose does it serve that cannot be served by secular organizations?

Have you studied cultural anthropology at all? That's not meant as a snarky comment or a challenge. It's an honest question.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:
Agymnum wrote:
Well I've never seen any practical use for religion. I have seen many practical uses for knives.

I mean, my issue with religion is that it's the worst of both possible worlds. Not only does it attract stupid people (like every ideology and media-related thing) but it serves no real purpose. I mean... What practical purpose does it serve that cannot be served by secular organizations?

Religion fools people into believing there's something on the other side that they have to not kill themselves and live a wholesome life to get to. That's the inherent value- reinforcing the moral code and preventing despair-based suicides.

I know there is nothing other on the "other side" I despair, yet I do not suicide. Strange that.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

Religion fools people into believing there's something on the other side that they have to not kill themselves and live a wholesome life to get to. That's the inherent value- reinforcing the moral code and preventing despair-based suicides.

So, its value is in its ability to make people who are so depressed that they want to kill themselves even more stressed out.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Religion fools people into believing there's something on the other side that they have to not kill themselves and live a wholesome life to get to. That's the inherent value- reinforcing the moral code and preventing despair-based suicides.

What I basically got from this is, "People are stupid dicks. Religion keeps them in line."

Well, now I know what I hate. It's not religion, apparently, it's people who perpetuate that it's necessary by being stupid, angsty dicks.

People naturally tend towards being stupid, angsty dicks.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

Have you studied cultural anthropology at all? That's not meant as a snarky comment or a challenge. It's an honest question.

No, to be honest. I'm assuming what you're about to tell me is that religion is some sort of base for a culture to form and evolve, thus leading eventually to it becoming obsolete after the culture has become well-established.

Or something.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Resora wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:That isn't really related to it at all, and it is a very stupid strawman.

Which is funny, cause you're using fire in the situation.

I really hope I don't have to explain the metaphor.

Oh, I get what you're trying to say, but you acting like slapping down an irrelevant analogy isn't helping anyone's argument but mine.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:

I know there is nothing other on the "other side" I despair, yet I do not suicide. Strange that.

Here's an excellent example of why religion has a place in society as told by an atheist.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

No, to be honest. I'm assuming what you're about to tell me is that religion is some sort of base for a culture to form and evolve, thus leading eventually to it becoming obsolete after the culture has become well-established.

Or something.

No, that would be overly simplistic, and I'm not going to insult your intelligence with that, though those points do have merit as part of a larger whole. What I'm going to say is that it would take a textbook chapter to explain it in a way that would likely satisfy you, or any other reasonably intelligent atheist for that matter. But the Patton Oswalt routine I linked in my last post is a good start.

Greater Pokarnia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Pokarnia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Here's an excellent example of why religion has a place in society as told by an atheist.

So the question becomes, is it necessary anymore?
First Deputy Secretary of the Communist Party and Minister of Education of the NSG Senate, representing Constituency 316.

[Insert personal information]

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:

Not everyone can deal with the concept of nothingness after death. I myself live for the sake of living, and for the sake of advancing the human species with whatever talents I have to offer. But not everyone sees it that way. Some men need a reward, an impetus to live a life of virtue and not vice, even if the eternal life cake ends up being a lie.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Why am I not surprised?
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Greater Pokarnia wrote:

As long as people wake up and say "I'm going to have rape for breakfast", as long as people follow brute force over intelligence, as long as people see nothing wrong with exploiting the weak for personal gain unless there's a better reward at the end for being nice...then, yes.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:No, that would be overly simplistic, and I'm not going to insult your intelligence with that, though those points do have merit as part of a larger whole. What I'm going to say is that it would take a textbook chapter to explain it in a way that would likely satisfy you, or any other reasonably intelligent atheist for that matter. But the Patton Oswalt routine I linked in my last post is a good start.

I get what he's saying (I love Oswalt, by the way, almost as much as Carlin), but my main opposition to religion is in the modern era.

I mean, if religion was completely useless forever and ever, then it would've never been invented. It's like a square wheel - why invent something that doesn't improve your quality of life?

My point is that religion in the modern era is like a chariot racing around on a highway alongside Chevy's and Toyota's and Benz's. It's just not right, not today when we have sufficiently evolved both scientifically and culturally to be able to rise above it.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 pm

Greater Pokarnia wrote:

Yes. Some folks just need something to believe in. So long as it remains harmless, you're the one doing wrong by trying to eliminate it. When it becomes a problem, as with the incident this thread should be discussing, it's dealt with and trimmed back. There's no need to burn the whole bush down just because some branches stick out a little bit funny.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Resora
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Resora » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:01 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Resora wrote:I really hope I don't have to explain the metaphor.

Oh, I get what you're trying to say, but you acting like slapping down an irrelevant analogy isn't helping anyone's argument but mine.

Yeah, you didn't get it.
The history of progress is written in the blood of men and women who have dared to espouse an unpopular cause.

Member of the Free Communists (District 108)
Left/Right: -10.00
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.45
Alternate Test
Political Views

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:No, that would be overly simplistic, and I'm not going to insult your intelligence with that, though those points do have merit as part of a larger whole. What I'm going to say is that it would take a textbook chapter to explain it in a way that would likely satisfy you, or any other reasonably intelligent atheist for that matter. But the Patton Oswalt routine I linked in my last post is a good start.

I get what he's saying (I love Oswalt, by the way, almost as much as Carlin), but my main opposition to religion is in the modern era.

I mean, if religion was completely useless forever and ever, then it would've never been invented. It's like a square wheel - why invent something that doesn't improve your quality of life?

My point is that religion in the modern era is like a chariot racing around on a highway alongside Chevy's and Toyota's and Benz's. It's just not right, not today when we have sufficiently evolved both scientifically and culturally to be able to rise above it.

And yet people find comfort in it, good people, and bad people. The bad people who want to kill the Sky Cookies people would only hijack a political party or country instead if their is no religion. I.E. Hitler, Stalin etc. As long as people take solace in their religion, use it to make life easier, and don't force their views on others, along with choosing to follow it, it isn't slavery.

Greater Pokarnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Pokarnia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Greater Pokarnia wrote:

As long as people wake up and say "I'm going to have rape for breakfast", as long as people follow brute force over intelligence, as long as people see nothing wrong with exploiting the weak for personal gain unless there's a better reward at the end for being nice...then, yes.

Not really. Ever heard of Kohlberg's stages of moral development? The first, simplest two are avoiding punishment and benefiting oneself. As long as murderers, rapists, etc. are punished, these individuals won't do these things. Except for the irrational ones, but they tend to do that kind of shit regardless of whether religion is present.
First Deputy Secretary of the Communist Party and Minister of Education of the NSG Senate, representing Constituency 316.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Resora wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Oh, I get what you're trying to say, but you acting like slapping down an irrelevant analogy isn't helping anyone's argument but mine.

Yeah, you didn't get it.

Yeah, I did.

Perhaps instead of your one-liners, you could add something worthwhile to the discussion? Your drive-bys aren't helping.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Agymnum wrote:

Just because we ourselves don't need religion doesn't mean that no one else does. Even if we're all driving flying cars and living on Mars, people are still going to wonder what is their purpose in the world. Some of us are going to conclude "we have no defined purpose", others "I need to define my own", and still others will look towards divine reasons. As long as a religion doesn't inhibit scientific progress or deny others civil rights, there's no problems with having one.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Greater Pokarnia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Not really. Ever heard of Kohlberg's stages of moral development? The first, simplest two are avoiding punishment and benefiting oneself. As long as murderers, rapists, etc. are punished, these individuals won't do these things. Except for the irrational ones, but they tend to do that kind of shit regardless of whether religion is present.

Yeah, and his stages of moral development are only one of many different theories on the subject.

Greater Pokarnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Pokarnia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:07 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Greater Pokarnia wrote:

Yeah, and his stages of moral development are only one of many different theories on the subject.

True, but my point is more that I think the threat of eternal hellfire is more of a driving factor than the promise of paradise, and so punishing those who do these kinds of things should work just as well.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Greater Pokarnia wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Yeah, and his stages of moral development are only one of many different theories on the subject.

True, but my point is more that I think the threat of eternal hellfire is more of a driving factor than the promise of paradise, and so punishing those who do these kinds of things should work just as well.

Except even considering the moral developments are true, once the basic stuff is met, the tribes might decide to group up and have a nice plate of rape for dinner.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Agymnum wrote:

Not exactly. I understand that we're a bit of an outlier, but my own Unitarian Universalist church doesn't even begin to claim to provide all of the answers (instead, it encourages questions and what we call a "free and responsible search for spiritual meaning"), we fight for the separation of church and state, and we don't proselytize. In fact, we have a number of happy atheists in our pews, as we don't even require belief in a god. The U.C.C., United Methodists, Roman Catholics (though they're dealing with their own issues), and many other denominations have no problem at all with the concept of evolution. The Dalai Lama has come right out and said that if a scientific truth were to be uncovered that conflicted with Buddhist precepts, then Buddhism would have to change.

Not all religion is destructive to society. In fact, the great majority of faith adherents in the U.S. are simply using their religion as a way to explore the concept of meaning in their lives, and are horrified at the idea of their beliefs being used in such a terrible manner. However, as always, the destructive ones are the loudest, and tend to draw the most attention.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Greater Pokarnia wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:Yeah, and his stages of moral development are only one of many different theories on the subject.

Except it doesn't, as there's no commensurate reward for not doing well. You can't be all stick and no carrot.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General