NATION

PASSWORD

Canadian Woman Forbidden to Wear Niqab in Court

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Dulkadar
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Canadian Woman Forbidden to Wear Niqab in Court

Postby Dulkadar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Courtesy of AJE

A Canadian woman filing charges of sexual assault will be required to remove her niqab to testify against her alleged attackers. On Wednesday, a Toronto judge ruled that the woman's niqab (or face veil) “masks her demeanour and blocks...effective cross-examination by counsel for the accused". The decision applies to the preliminary hearings where she is expected to face her uncle and cousin, whom she accuses of sexually abusing her during her childhood.

The woman, known as "NS", has fought the Canadian court to wear her niqab during hearings since the case began. A five-year series of decisions and appeals led all the way to the country's supreme court, which ruled in 2012 that the issue should be decided on a case-by-case basis. The supreme court ruling requires the provincial court to consider both the weight of the individual's "religious conviction" and the impact on trial fairness before issuing a decision for the niqab to be removed. "NS" plans to appeal the most recent decision.

The case prompted conflicting reactions from Canadians. From Farrah Khan, an advocate against sexual violence:

Farrah Khan
@farrah_khan
Creating a chilly climate for women who wear #niqab to access justice when they experience sexual violence #VAW cbc.ca/news/canada/to…
A DAY AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
Public awareness campaign Slut Walk Toronto:

SlutWalk
@SlutWalkTO
TO court judge rules N.S. must remove her #niqab to testify. Massive blow to rights of survivors & #Muslim women. cbc.ca/news/canada/to…
7 HOURS AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE

SlutWalk
@SlutWalkTO
We DO NOT support court systems enforcing what survivors get to put on their bodies in order to share their experiences of sexual violence.

Haykal Bafana
@BaFana3
Women's rights, Canada Style. | RT @megan_otoole : Muslim woman must remove her niqab before testifying. news.nationalpost.com/2013/04/24/aft…
21 HOURS AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
A Globe and Mail editorial argued that the ruling upheld tenents of Canadian democracy:

theglobeandmail.com
Being bare-faced in court is a bona fide requirement in a democratic society, just as it is at border security points – the same woman said she would take off her niqab for border checks.

6 HOURS AGO
Commenters on the op-ed echoed support for the decision. From Stan Duptali:

theglobeandmail.com
This is a no brainer. When Sikhs wear a ceremonial kirpan, it has very little effect on others. Women should be free to wear whatever they want in homes, places of worship and in public, but in a court of law, there is a danger that the ability to hide behind a niqab could land someone else in jail. Expression, emotion and inflection all play a crucial role in determining the truth. Denying others the opportunity to observe those displays is unacceptable.

6 HOURS AGO
Climaxica pondered what the case meant for the rights of the accused parties:

theglobeandmail.com
I'm not sure if the right to face your accuser is an actual right in Canada like it is in the US, but it does have a lot of merit and goes towards a fair trial. Imagine being charged with sexual assault, but when you go to court, the person who is accusing you is hidden and you can't see them...It's almost Kafkaesque in that sense as you aren't allowed to see your accuser.

6 HOURS AGO
Georges Sioufi said that appearing in court with the niqab is tantamount to anonymous testimony.

Georges Sioufi
@GeorgesSioufi
What, did they expect for there not to be a problem? In our society, we don't accept anonymous testimony in court. cbc.ca/news/canada/to…
A DAY AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE

Shaena Dean
@ShaenaDean
@CBCToronto This is basic logic when law must confirm identity. There are ways to manage it respectfully.
8 HOURS AGOREPLYRETWEETFAVORITE
Responding to a critique of the ruling, Twitter user @wickeddollz focused on what she says is a need to keep religion out of the courtroom:

wickeddollz
@wickeddollz
@SlutWalkTO cant agree we need to keep the legal system secular, cant start changing proceeding due to religion.
Legal analyst Steven Skurka spoke to CTV News about the ruling, saying the Toronto judge's decision may be fitting for trial, but not necessary for the preliminary hearing:

So, TLDR a woman is wanting to wear a face obstructing garb in court, and the Judge is saying no.

Personally, I think that the Judge's decision is a correct one. A court is no place for religion, especially one that might conceal a person lying OR telling the truth. I also wonder, if the woman here wants to live by Muslim rituals and laws, then why isn't she trying to get tried under Islamic law?

Anyway, i'm wondering what NSG thinks of this turn of events?
Last edited by Dulkadar on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Saruhan

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm

So let's just declare open rape season against Muslim women who want to respect their culture while protecting themselves from assault?
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Dulkadar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dulkadar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Pope Joan wrote:So let's just declare open rape season against Muslim women who want to respect their culture while protecting themselves from assault?

I didn't realize we lived in wherever the hell she'her parents were from? It's Canada, Canadian law, and Canadian values
Formerly Saruhan

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm

If it is determined that, according to the laws of Canada, the Niqab would unduly influence the Jury, then the decision is correct.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Dulkadar wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:So let's just declare open rape season against Muslim women who want to respect their culture while protecting themselves from assault?

I didn't realize we lived in wherever the hell she'her parents were from? It's Canada, Canadian law, and Canadian values

Canadian values support rape then, and do not support personal religious convictions.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:03 pm

My opinion is that of Canada's Supreme Court.

I'm afraid I lack details on this to say whether this particular decision was correct.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Not in court for obvious reasons.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm

.....wat

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Fair enough.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Hold on. Who the fuck requires victims of sexual abuse to testify in front of their abusers? Isn't there an option to do it out of sight or via videolink or something?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Salandriagado wrote:Hold on. Who the fuck requires victims of sexual abuse to testify in front of their abusers? Isn't there an option to do it out of sight or via videolink or something?

Canada.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:Hold on. Who the fuck requires victims of sexual abuse to testify in front of their abusers? Isn't there an option to do it out of sight or via videolink or something?

Canada.

... Sigh.

Can't they at least rig up something so that the accused/public can't see her?

Do they really force everybody who is abused to testify in front of the people that abused them?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Dulkadar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dulkadar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm

You don't have them involved in the Court preceding?
Last edited by Dulkadar on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Saruhan

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Dulkadar wrote:

You don't have they involved in the Court preceding?

I think you accidentally your post.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:23 pm

....countries that think the accused has a right to face their accuser?

Dulkadar
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dulkadar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:24 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Dulkadar wrote:You don't have they involved in the Court preceding?

I think you accidentally your post.

How do I into the English language? Sorry, of immigrant
Formerly Saruhan

Varijnland
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Varijnland » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:24 pm

You'll see no oposition from me. No pun intended.

Retiring from NS, I wish you all the best in your future endevours :)

- Rasmus

P.S stay off drugs

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Dulkadar wrote:

You don't have them involved in the Court preceding?

We do, but there are provisions for people to give evidence without having to physically be in the same room as them, or even see them, such as via videolink with carefully arranged screens/cameras.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Dulkadar wrote:You don't have them involved in the Court preceding?

We do, but there are provisions for people to give evidence without having to physically be in the same room as them, or even see them, such as via videolink with carefully arranged screens/cameras.

I don't think testifying via videoscreen would change the fact that this woman cannot wear her niqab.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Dulkadar wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I think you accidentally your post.

How do I into the English language? Sorry, of immigrant

iLaugh.

Algonquin Ascendancy
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Algonquin Ascendancy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Dulkadar wrote:Courtesy of AJE
So, TLDR a woman is wanting to wear a face obstructing garb in court, and the Judge is saying no.

Personally, I think that the Judge's decision is a correct one. A court is no place for religion, especially one that might conceal a person lying OR telling the truth. I also wonder, if the woman here wants to live by Muslim rituals and laws, then why isn't she trying to get tried under Islamic law?

Anyway, i'm wondering what NSG thinks of this turn of events?

I see no problem with this.
• Call me Makki. •
Des: "Humanity: fucking awesome."
My name is Makkitotosimew, I am an Algonquin Separatist and also support the Quebec Separatist movement for purely pragmatic reasons. I am a member of the First Peoples National Party of Canada.
I worship Manitou, the Great Spirit. Mahinga is my spirit guide. All life is sacred and should be treated with respect. As such, I am opposed to sport hunting and factory farming.
I am a Democratic Syndicalist.
I am a 23 year old polyamorous, pansexual woman.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.38 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.05

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:26 pm

I must agree with the Court's reasoning on this matter. Religious convictions does not make one above the law.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Flaxxony-Setram
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Flaxxony-Setram » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Good. There was sound reasoning behind it.
Base 12, Esperanto, 13 month years, you get the drift, All that weird stuff. 58 million total inhabitants. The national area is the northern half of South America, and we are very xenophobic. Georgism since 1871.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Choronzon wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

I don't think testifying via videoscreen would change the fact that this woman cannot wear her niqab.

It would mean she wouldn't have to stand in front of the people that sexually assaulted her in what she would consider an inappropriate state.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:28 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Choronzon wrote:I don't think testifying via videoscreen would change the fact that this woman cannot wear her niqab.

It would mean she wouldn't have to stand in front of the people that sexually assaulted her in what she would consider an inappropriate state.

Agreed, but we are now moving beyond the scope of the thread.

The topic of conversation is about whether or not the court was right to forbid her from wearing the niqab. The manner in which her testimony is given doesn't really alter that ruling.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General