NATION

PASSWORD

Lesbian Teacher in Ohio Fired

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Antares XII
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Antares XII » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:49 pm

Having read through the article in the original post, it is my opinion that the school made a dick move, the complaining parent is a paranoid bitch, the lesbian in question is a pretty okay person (based on what the article quoted her on saying), and this thread is likely to see people clamouring about the right things for the wrong reasons.

Ie, yes, religious entities have the right to believe what they want and function according to those beliefs, regardless of what you or I or anyone else thinks of those beliefs. I am quite certain there are people who disagree with this vehemently, however, and fault the school, not because it made a dick move, but because they don't like what it believes.

In closing - people who preach tolerance are often the most intolerant.
Frisbeeteria wrote:"The community" has the ability, if not the strength, to simply not respond to trolls. I'm sure there are plenty of players who quietly sit back without responding and go on to other threads. We don't hear from them very often. They're the quiet 99%. Mostly we hear from people like the OP and a small group of discontented players about our many and various failures. I truly think that most of "the community" probably thinks we're doing a good job, or simply doesn't think about it at all.

I only posted in TET that one time I swear! I prefer intellectual discussions
Abolitionist, technogaianist, postgenderist, extropianist, libertarian transhumanist
Agnostic atheist and skeptical cynic
I do not identify as a person
Dark grey asexual

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Bottle wrote:Because if we encourage Catholics and other religious bigots to impose their backward, discriminatory belief systems as much as possible, this will help drive all worthwhile people out of those religions and will thereby weaken their social, political, and economic power.

If a Muslim school had fired a woman after 19 years for being a lesbian, private or not guaranteed those same Catholics would be pitching a fit about it. Islamic Litmus Test.

no they wouldn't. They would be on the mosque's side,

for example in a touching show of religious unity

The only time the three religious leaders of Jerusalem agreed on anything, it was that a gay pride parade in Jerusalem was unacceptable as a religious insult. Doesn't it make your eyes tear up with joy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/31/international/worldspecial/31gay.html?_r=0
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:Private school, as long as it's not receiving public funds, has a right to do what they want...

no they don't. they cant refuse to hire blacks, women, or any other protected class.

And in Ohio Sexual orientation is a protected class. Now as a religious institution they may be exempt from the gay thing, but that is about it, and a non religious institution can not fire anyone for being gay in Ohio

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Llamalandia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Llamalandia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Haydenish People wrote:This makes me so ashamed to live near this school. Carla Hale, according to the school was not fired for being a lesbian, but because he relationship was publicized in her mother's obituary.

I don't even know where to start with this. Sure, she taught at a Catholic school, but it is also illegal in Columbus to discriminate based on sexuality.

http://dft.ba/-5CFR

No, sorry religious freedom my friend, given that all teachers in a catholic school are expected to in till catholic theological values and teachings. Anyway, all this likely means is that some other private or public school gets the benefit of a presumably rather high quality teacher :). That's the thing about discrimination it hurts both sides, the school basically is shooting itself in the foot (assuming she was high quality teacher) plus plenty of negative publicity, oh well thats the catholic church for you :palm:

Scholencia
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scholencia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Haydenish People wrote:This makes me so ashamed to live near this school. Carla Hale, according to the school was not fired for being a lesbian, but because he relationship was publicized in her mother's obituary.

I don't even know where to start with this. Sure, she taught at a Catholic school, but it is also illegal in Columbus to discriminate based on sexuality.

How did she got the job there in first place?

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Scholencia wrote:

How did she got the job there in first place?

The RCD Columbus had no problem with her teaching, so long as nobody complained about her sexual orientation, evidently.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Scholencia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Scholencia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Than we can conclude that this is not a topic about the Church harasing gay people
it is obvious that the Church is relativly tolerant.

Ensiferum
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ensiferum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Scholencia wrote:Than we can conclude that this is not a topic about the Church harasing gay people

As long as you follow their strict belief system, sure.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Scholencia wrote:Than we can conclude that this is not a topic about the Church harasing gay people

No, that is exactly what we can conclude. One parent. One parent over nineteen years of teaching, complained about the fact that she was a lesbian. What does the school do? Well, they can't do anything, because the parent went over their heads to the RCD Columbus, who promptly canned her without a second thought.

That's not very fucking tolerant of the RCD Columbus, now is it?
Last edited by Camicon on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Ensiferum wrote:

You know,

that is a really interesting point, if we were to take the church's point of view, shouldn't they be trying to help the sinner? how is firing her going to help?

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ensiferum wrote:

You know,

that is a really interesting point, if we were to take the church's point of view, shouldn't they be trying to help the sinner? how is firing her going to help?

If the RCD Columbus, hell, if the RCC actually followed what their holy book said, then they would allow openly gay priests.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Ensiferum
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ensiferum » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ensiferum wrote:

You know,

Yeah. You'd think they'd have support groups in place and as part of a health care plan or something at least. Not that I support Pray the Gay Away and the like but you'd think things like that would at least be offered. Maybe she was unjustly fired

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:47 pm

You know we can't have none of that bootleg stuff in schools.

Anyprostitue, school systems in America suck. And most of the teachers within these shcool systems think I'm a stoner, or at least at my school they do.

See, this is why teachers shouldn't be discriminated against based on sexaulity...
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Ensiferum wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
You know,

Yeah. You'd think they'd have support groups in place and as part of a health care plan or something at least. Not that I support Pray the Gay Away and the like but you'd think things like that would at least be offered. Maybe she was unjustly fired

"Hey there, Carla. Look... I'm sorry, but we're going to have to let you go. We had a complaint, about the fact that you're black lesbian, and... well... have your desk cleared out by the end of the day."

Yeah, I'd say she was unjustly fired.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Scholencia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Scholencia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Camicon wrote:

No, that is exactly what we can conclude. One parent. One parent over nineteen years of teaching, complained about the fact that she was a lesbian. What does the school do? Well, they can't do anything, because the parent went over their heads to the RCD Columbus, who promptly canned her without a second thought.

From what I see. The school would not let her to have a job in first place (this shows the schools agenda: "We have not against gay persons but we dont promote such lifestyle") She also probably knew that the school has consevative views and nobody has forced her to work there. As an employee she has certain obligation.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Camicon wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
You know,

If the RCD Columbus, hell, if the RCC actually followed what their holy book said, then they would allow openly gay priests.

i disagree. gays dont do well in either the old or new testament.

the point is though, christ hung out with sinners. cardinal o'conner said "hate the sin, love the sinner". and say what you will about the catholics and gays, the largest private funder of services for AIDS/HIV patients in the early 80's was catholic charities.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Scholencia wrote:
Camicon wrote:No, that is exactly what we can conclude. One parent. One parent over nineteen years of teaching, complained about the fact that she was a lesbian. What does the school do? Well, they can't do anything, because the parent went over their heads to the RCD Columbus, who promptly canned her without a second thought.

From what I see. The school would not let her to have a job in first place (this shows the schools agenda: "We have not against gay persons but we dont promote such lifestyle") She also probably knew that the school has consevative views and nobody has forced her to work there. As an employee she has certain obligation.

Except she was given the job. By the school, or RCD Columbus. Either or, it doesn't matter.

What does matter is that she was fired because a single parent complained about her sexual orientation. Something that her employers knew at the time when they hired her nineteen years ago. What does matter is that no employer should have the right to fire someone because of their sexual orientation, just as they should not be allowed to fire someone because of their sex or the colour of their skin.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Ensiferum wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
You know,

forget the unjustly fired, I am not talking law or morals; but from a modern strict catholic doctrinal standpoint, shouldn't they try and heal her, and support her?

we need arch for this

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Camicon wrote:If the RCD Columbus, hell, if the RCC actually followed what their holy book said, then they would allow openly gay priests.

the point is though, christ hung out with sinners. cardinal o'conner said "hate the sin, love the sinner". and say what you will about the catholics and gays, the largest private funder of services for AIDS/HIV patients in the early 80's was catholic charities.

Christ told everyone to love everyone. He never said "Love everyone, except those gays. Those gays are fucked in the head. Don't love them."

Some of the people who took over his teachings after he died said that. Regular Joes, like you and me, not imbued with divine providence or some shit. Just guys speaking what's on their mind, and claiming God-given authority by writing it in a book.
Last edited by Camicon on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Scholencia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Scholencia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 pm

Except she was given the job. By the school, or RCD Columbus. Either or, it doesn't matter.

What does matter is that she was fired because a single parent complained about her sexual orientation. Something that her employers knew at the time when they hired her nineteen years ago. What does matter is that no employer should have the right to fire someone because of their sexual orientation, just as they should not be allowed to fire someone because of their sex or the colour of their skin.

Again, that has nothing to do with the Church. It has to do with the school, parent and her self.

She knew what was expected from her as a employee, she could easily reject the job. The parent is paying money to that school and it expect something from exchange.

Lifestyle is not part of discrmination nor her is her private life topic on schopl hpurs.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Scholencia wrote:
Except she was given the job. By the school, or RCD Columbus. Either or, it doesn't matter.

What does matter is that she was fired because a single parent complained about her sexual orientation. Something that her employers knew at the time when they hired her nineteen years ago. What does matter is that no employer should have the right to fire someone because of their sexual orientation, just as they should not be allowed to fire someone because of their sex or the colour of their skin.

Again, that has nothing to do with the Church. It has to do with the school, parent and her self.

She knew what was expected from her as a employee, she could easily reject the job. The parent is paying money to that school and it expect something from exchange.

Lifestyle is not part of discrmination nor her is her private life topic on schopl hpurs.

Do you know what the RCD Columbus is? That stands for "Roman Catholic Diocese of Columbus". The school is funded by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Columbus. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Columbus is a branch of the Roman Catholic Church.

See the connection yet?

Carla Hale was hired by the RCC, worked for nineteen years, and fired because a single person made a stink about her sexual orientation.

No employer should have the right to fire someone because of their sexual orientation. Sexual orientation is not a "lifestyle choice". Being lazy is a lifestyle choice. Being active is a lifestyle choice. Gaming and cosplaying are lifestyle choices. Nobody chooses who they are attracted to, just as nobody chooses their sex, or the colour of their skin. And nobody should be expected to hide their sexual orientation, or their sex, or the colour of their skin, in the work place; just because some of the people that they help everyday are insufferable bigots does not they should be treated with any less dignity than they deserve.
Last edited by Camicon on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Unified Chiodos Fans
Attaché

Founded: Mar 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Chiodos Fans » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Camicon wrote:If the RCD Columbus, hell, if the RCC actually followed what their holy book said, then they would allow openly gay priests.

I do disagree on that. As someone who is currently becoming a pastor at my church(Non Denominational) and studies the Bible CONSTANTLY I can say that the New Testament is much more tolerant with topics such as homosexuality. Jesus does highlight that homosexuality as out of lust is not good. So like those slutty girls at parties that make out with their friend just to get attention are sinning. But if you truly love someone who is the same gender as you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with loving them. But I just hate it when certain parts of Christianity**cough, cough, Catholics, cough cough, Mormons, cough cough, West Borrow Baptist** completely misread the word of God and take it a TOTALLY different way than intended, such as this event.
Pastafarian enthusiast and rhythm guitarist for the band By Default
I'm also a very avid writer. Mostly zombies and other kinds of horror. If you ever have an idea for a story, please TG me as I'm always open to new idea!

Who enjoys quotes????
"English doesn't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." --James D. Nicoll
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!" --Colonel Sanders

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Ayreonia wrote:
greed and death wrote:It was not being a lesbian according to the school
It was it becoming know, not to the school, but to the public at large that was an issue.

In that case, it's simple spinelessness. Not standing up to somebody who has worked for you for 19 years and whose "flaw" you've known all along?

Despicable.

I agree, it is part of why we need a law against LGBT discrimination.
Because that way the school would say yes, we are concerned too but we can fire her for being gay its the law.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ayreonia wrote:In that case, it's simple spinelessness. Not standing up to somebody who has worked for you for 19 years and whose "flaw" you've known all along?

Despicable.

I agree, it is part of why we need a law against LGBT discrimination.
Because that way the school RCD Columbus would say yes, we are concerned too but we can fire her for being gay its the law.

Needed a touch-up there.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:14 am

Camicon wrote:
greed and death wrote:I agree, it is part of why we need a law against LGBT discrimination.
Because that way the school RCD Columbus would say yes, we are concerned too but we can fire her for being gay its the law.

Needed a touch-up there.

Yeah but see if we had a law, after the first few times parents called and realized they could not get the teacher fired, they might give up and move on to more important things like raising their kids.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General