NATION

PASSWORD

Lesbian Teacher in Ohio Fired

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Thoricia wrote:
Cosara wrote:So, you're an idiot for upholding your religious code? :eyebrow:

So if your Christian your supposed to be against gay people? I guess I read to much into the part about accepting everyone for who they are silly me.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The New Earth Coalition wrote:Its a Catholic school, which is obviously not related to the State, but only to the Church. So no one can pull that separation of church and state BS. If she wants to go against God at one of God's schools, she took the risk.

She didn't choose to out herself in her mother's obituary. It was not her that wrote it, it was not her that published it. She was punished for something out of her control.

Yes, and your car insurance rates double if you get into a fender bender. You're point?
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Untaroicht wrote:
Are you even reading what I type? IF SHE CAN'T FOLLOW THE RULES, SHE'S GOT TO GO. It's like that for, oh, I don't know, every other job on the face of the planet. Do what your employers want you to do, or leave. it's that simple.

Even if the employer waits 19 years to fire you for an infraction they knew about from the gitgo? That seems a bit - oh, I don't know ... illogical?

I could swear ex post facto was a bad thing.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm

Cosara wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:She didn't choose to out herself in her mother's obituary. It was not her that wrote it, it was not her that published it. She was punished for something out of her control.

Yes, and your car insurance rates double if you get into a fender bender. You're point?

I am not a point. It's "your."

Show me where in her contract it said that she could be fired for being outed by someone other than herself.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Haydenish People
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haydenish People » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Haydenish People wrote:Did I mention I live near Columbus? It's the top story on the local news here, and the petition to give her her job back has 52,000 signatures. By the way, the reason she was fired was ridiculous. She apparently publicized her relationship with her partner in her mother's obituary.

They reasoned she'd literally do anything to grab headlines?

Ohio is fucked up some, isn't it?

Well, Warren G. Harding is from Marion, and we all know what he did...
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56
Political Test

Read it. Read it now.
"There are three kinds of lies in the world: lies, damn lies and statistics."-Mark Twain

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Job candidate: Hi. I want to apply for a position teaching at this school. For the record I am a lesbian.
HR person: Ok. What area can you teach in?
JC: *name of subject(s)*
HR: You're hired.

*19 years pass*

HR: JC we saw in an obituary in the lower left corner of the fifth page of section D of *name of newspaper* that you're in a lesbian relationship. You're fired.
JC: But I told you when you hired me that I was a lesbian.
HR: Yes, but we didn't know you were a LESBIAN.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Untaroicht
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Untaroicht » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Untaroicht wrote:
...the Episcopal Church, who frequently disregard doctrine laid down in sacred holy scripture and replace it with modernized jargon for PR purposes?

Source on that? As an atheistic Episcopal, I take mild offense.

One example is how in Timothy 3:1-13, the scriptures outline the requirements for ordination, and states that only men may be priests or deacons, and yet it is not uncommon in the Episcopal church for there to women in the clergy.

It goes directly against the scriptures.
NSG's NEW (un)official resident survivalist/doomsday prepper - BURY YOUR SILVER!

Cosara
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Imsogone wrote:Job candidate: Hi. I want to apply for a position teaching at this school. For the record I am a lesbian.

*19 years pass*

HR: JC we saw in an obituary in the lower left corner of the fifth page of section D of *name of newspaper* that you're in a lesbian relationship. You're fired.

All I can say is that if they knew she was lesbian, they shouldn't have hired her and if she became open about it after getting the job, they should have fired her. Not wait 19 years to do. Anyways, I am glad the the Catholic School finally did it.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Imsogone wrote:Job candidate: Hi. I want to apply for a position teaching at this school. For the record I am a lesbian.

*19 years pass*

Pretty much
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:01 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:Well, sadly it is to be expected of Catholic schools.

Once again, they have failed the Emperor.
That all depends on whether or not the last pope left for a better job in the Galactic Empire. But a Catholic school firing someone who is LGBT does not suprise me at all either. :meh:
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Untaroicht wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Source on that? As an atheistic Episcopal, I take mild offense.

One example is how in Timothy 3:1-13, the scriptures outline the requirements for ordination, and states that only men may be priests or deacons, and yet it is not uncommon in the Episcopal church for there to women in the clergy.

Heh, funny, because nowhere in that scripture does it say that women are explicitly prohibited from being ordained.

@}-;-'---

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Cosara wrote:

*19 years pass*

All I can say is that if they knew she was lesbian, they shouldn't have hired her and if she became open about it after getting the job, they should have fired her. Not wait 19 years to do. Anyways, I am glad the the Catholic School finally did it.

Why? Afraid she might compete with the priests?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Untaroicht
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Untaroicht » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Untaroicht wrote:

Heh, funny, because nowhere in that scripture does it say that women are explicitly prohibited from being ordained.

It only mention's men, and when they do mention women they are talking about the wives of clergymen.
NSG's NEW (un)official resident survivalist/doomsday prepper - BURY YOUR SILVER!

Cosara
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Untaroicht wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Source on that? As an atheistic Episcopal, I take mild offense.

That says that only men can be priests. It says nothing about women being in the clergy.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Untaroicht wrote:

And in 1964 the Catholic Church renounced the charge of Deicide against the Jewish people, even though it is specifically warranted in Matthew 27:24-25.

Your point?
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Cosara wrote:
Thoricia wrote:You know every time I see a story like this I imagine a bunch of religious homophobes standing around a huge hole going "Fuck that don't look near deep enough maybe we should keep digging"

Idiots.

So, you're an idiot for upholding your religious code? :eyebrow:

Well? She worked 19 years for the school. A small blurb in the paper about her mother's death mentioned it. She get's tossed.

So yes that's pretty fucking stupid.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Untaroicht wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Heh, funny, because nowhere in that scripture does it say that women are explicitly prohibited from being ordained.

It only mention's men, and when they do mention women they are talking about the wives of clergymen.

In modern language, "he" and "men" can be inferred to mean humanity as a whole. So no, the Episcopalian Church is not in violation.

@}-;-'---

Untaroicht
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Untaroicht » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Untaroicht wrote:

In modern language, "he" and "men" can be inferred to mean humanity as a whole. So no, the Episcopalian Church is not in violation.

In modern language, not 2000 years ago when the scriptures were written.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Untaroicht wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:In modern language, "he" and "men" can be inferred to mean humanity as a whole. So no, the Episcopalian Church is not in violation.

In modern language, not 2000 years ago when the scriptures were written.

If you read up on your Hagiography, you'll find that many early Church leaders were women.

Summer is coming...

Cosara
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Untaroicht wrote:

Well in the verse he mentioned, I don't think they meant that Aliens couldn't be Priests or Deacons. I think that verse limited the Priesthood to men, though no where (absolutely no where) does it every say that women cannot be in the clergy. It's a matter of placement of the words "men" and "man".

Untaroicht
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Untaroicht » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Untaroicht wrote:

And in 1964 the Catholic Church renounced the charge of Deicide against the Jewish people, even though it is specifically warranted in Matthew 27:24-25.

Your point?

That passage does not mention the jews specifically, it was badly misinterpreted.

When looking at the context of Matthew’s Gospel (specifically, chapters 26 and 27) it is quite obvious that the entire Jewish race was not totally responsible for having Jesus crucified. Matthew 26 and 27 informs the reader that one individual and three distinct groups were responsible for the death of Jesus Christ. They are Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus into the hands of the Jewish authorities (Matt. 26:14–16; 47–50); the Jewish leaders. This group was made up of Caiphas the High Priest, the chief priests, the elders, and the scribes. They united to form the Sanhedrin of Jerusalem which tried Jesus on the charge of blasphemy (Matt. 26:47, 57–67; 27:1–2, 5, 18, 25); the Romans, comprised of the Procurator Pontius Pilate who handed Jesus over to be crucified and the Roman soldiers who actually nailed Jesus to the cross (Matt. 27:11–37); the Jewish mob of Jerusalem. Though their role in Matthew 27 seems passive and subordinated under the control and influence of the chief priests and elders, their guilt in the death of Christ cannot be overlooked. They had the opportunity afforded them by Pilate to have Jesus released, but they chose instead a criminal named Barabbas

Cosara
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:09 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Cosara wrote:So, you're an idiot for upholding your religious code? :eyebrow:

Well? She worked 19 years for the school. A small blurb in the paper about her mother's death mentioned it. She get's tossed.

I say they should have never hired her in the first place, and am just glad that they fired her.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Cosara wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:In modern language, "he" and "men" can be inferred to mean humanity as a whole. So no, the Episcopalian Church is not in violation.

Well in the verse he mentioned, I don't think they meant that Aliens couldn't be Priests or Deacons. I think that verse limited the Priesthood to men, though no where (absolutely no where) does it every say that women cannot be in the clergy. It's a matter of placement of the words "men" and "man".

What the actual fuck?

"It is perfectly okay for someone who shares no biological characteristics with you, and isn't even from this planet, to perform this task. But someone with two copies of a chromosome you all have, and lacking a shriveled wimpy version of the same chromosome, is prohibited!"

Summer is coming...

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Cosara wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

I say they should have never hired her in the first place, and am just glad that they fired her.

Well after 19 years of students; I doubt any of them caught dagay disease.

I guess for Christians it really doesn't matter how good a teacher you are.

Glad to hear the lessons of love and tolerance are still being taught.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Untaroicht wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:And in 1964 the Catholic Church renounced the charge of Deicide against the Jewish people, even though it is specifically warranted in Matthew 27:24-25.

Your point?

That passage does not mention the jews specifically, it was badly misinterpreted.

When looking at the context of Matthew’s Gospel (specifically, chapters 26 and 27) it is quite obvious that the entire Jewish race was not totally responsible for having Jesus crucified. Matthew 26 and 27 informs the reader that one individual and three distinct groups were responsible for the death of Jesus Christ. They are Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus into the hands of the Jewish authorities (Matt. 26:14–16; 47–50); the Jewish leaders. This group was made up of Caiphas the High Priest, the chief priests, the elders, and the scribes. They united to form the Sanhedrin of Jerusalem which tried Jesus on the charge of blasphemy (Matt. 26:47, 57–67; 27:1–2, 5, 18, 25); the Romans, comprised of the Procurator Pontius Pilate who handed Jesus over to be crucified and the Roman soldiers who actually nailed Jesus to the cross (Matt. 27:11–37); the Jewish mob of Jerusalem. Though their role in Matthew 27 seems passive and subordinated under the control and influence of the chief priests and elders, their guilt in the death of Christ cannot be overlooked. They had the opportunity afforded them by Pilate to have Jesus released, but they chose instead a criminal named Barabbas

Ah? So the infallible Catholic Church was wrong for 1600 years?

Good to know.

Summer is coming...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General