NATION

PASSWORD

Rich Getting Richer in the U.S

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
The Progressive Society
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 146
Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Progressive Society » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
The Progressive Society wrote:What do you think of the article, and the rising inequality in the U.S?

The education system ought to be improved. If everybody has the opportunity to climb the social ladder by means of education, then there is no reason to lament economic inequality, provided that the needs of all are met to a reasonable degree. Inequality, in itself, is not unjust.


Yes, that would help, but we need to stop inequality from the start. Increase welfare spending, healthcare spending, and stop letting corporations rule our nation.
A liberal, who happens to live in Redneck Arizona

Pro: Anarcho-Communism, anti-corporatism, secularism, democratic socialism

Against: Theocracies, conservatism, corruption, capitalism, racism.

This nation represents my political views pretty accurately.


User avatar
Kamchastkia
Senator
 
Posts: 3943
Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:29 pm

The Progressive Society wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:The education system ought to be improved. If everybody has the opportunity to climb the social ladder by means of education, then there is no reason to lament economic inequality, provided that the needs of all are met to a reasonable degree. Inequality, in itself, is not unjust.


Yes, that would help, but we need to stop inequality from the start. Increase welfare spending, healthcare spending, and stop letting corporations rule our nation.

Good luck. That'll happen right after we stop invading every nation on the face of the planet :) and end our jingoistic military policies.

User avatar
Lillitania
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 176
Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillitania » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Maurepas wrote:Well I didn't say I was all that happy with the US populace either. Too often they're too ignorant to realize they're being gullible idiots.

Case in point, ask any believer in "Trickle-Down" economics who makes less than fifty grand a year.


Well that's the problem when the people are uneducated. Because I see what you mean everyday, the lower and middle class ( at least where I am ) adore right-wing economics. Of course if you ask them why you're likely to hear stammering with the words 'communism' and socialism' thrown in every now and then.
Liberty, Democracy, Equality
Hippostania - Unjustly deleted 30/7/2013
Napkiraly wrote:To be fair to the Americans, I've met quite a number of Europeans who also have no clue as to what communism or socialism really is. Same goes for Canada. Ignorance knows no borders.
AMERICAN
Picture of Me
Pro: United States, Patriotism, Guns, LGBT Rights, Liberation, Capitalism
Anti: Communism/Socialism, Nation-bashing, American Prejudice
CUBAN IMMIGRANT

User avatar
The Progressive Society
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 146
Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Progressive Society » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:32 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:
The Progressive Society wrote:
Yes, that would help, but we need to stop inequality from the start. Increase welfare spending, healthcare spending, and stop letting corporations rule our nation
Good luck. That'll happen right after we stop invading every nation on the face of the planet :) and end our jingoistic military policies.


Sigh, I know America is really messed up, and its going to be tough to create some actual equality.
A liberal, who happens to live in Redneck Arizona

Pro: Anarcho-Communism, anti-corporatism, secularism, democratic socialism

Against: Theocracies, conservatism, corruption, capitalism, racism.

This nation represents my political views pretty accurately.


User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10012
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:32 pm

The Progressive Society wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:The education system ought to be improved. If everybody has the opportunity to climb the social ladder by means of education, then there is no reason to lament economic inequality, provided that the needs of all are met to a reasonable degree. Inequality, in itself, is not unjust.

Yes, that would help, but we need to stop inequality from the start. Increase welfare spending, healthcare spending, and stop letting corporations rule our nation.

1) There is no reason for welfare spending on able-bodied adults if everyone has the opportunity to become educated.

2) The United States already spends more on healthcare than other countries. Throwing money at a problem is not a solution.

3) Large corporations do not rule the country. Drop the sensationalist rhetoric.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Kamchastkia
Senator
 
Posts: 3943
Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Lillitania wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Well I didn't say I was all that happy with the US populace either. Too often they're too ignorant to realize they're being gullible idiots.

Case in point, ask any believer in "Trickle-Down" economics who makes less than fifty grand a year.


Well that's the problem when the people are uneducated. Because I see what you mean everyday, the lower and middle class ( at least where I am ) adore right-wing economics. Of course if you ask them why you're likely to hear stammering with the words 'communism' and socialism' thrown in every now and then.


:clap: You have summed up the arguements used by Tea Partiers. YOU KNOW HITLER WAS A COMMUNIST RIGHT? But all in all, you can thank the american people for batshit crazy politicians :).

User avatar
Kamchastkia
Senator
 
Posts: 3943
Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
The Progressive Society wrote:Yes, that would help, but we need to stop inequality from the start. Increase welfare spending, healthcare spending, and stop letting corporations rule our nation.

1) There is no reason for welfare spending on able-bodied adults if everyone has the opportunity to become educated.

2) The United States already spends more on healthcare than other countries. Throwing money at a problem is not a solution.

3) Large corporations do not rule the country. Drop the sensationalist rhetoric.

3. LARGE COPRATIONS DON'T RULE THIS COUNTRY! - until they do.

Evidence: (Off the top of my head) Super PACs

User avatar
Lillitania
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 176
Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillitania » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:
Lillitania wrote:
Well that's the problem when the people are uneducated. Because I see what you mean everyday, the lower and middle class ( at least where I am ) adore right-wing economics. Of course if you ask them why you're likely to hear stammering with the words 'communism' and socialism' thrown in every now and then.


:clap: You have summed up the arguements used by Tea Partiers. YOU KNOW HITLER WAS A COMMUNIST RIGHT? But all in all, you can thank the american people for batshit crazy politicians :).


But the sad truth is that only the crazies get on television, it really gives a bad image of America to a world that already dislikes it.
Liberty, Democracy, Equality
Hippostania - Unjustly deleted 30/7/2013
Napkiraly wrote:To be fair to the Americans, I've met quite a number of Europeans who also have no clue as to what communism or socialism really is. Same goes for Canada. Ignorance knows no borders.
AMERICAN
Picture of Me
Pro: United States, Patriotism, Guns, LGBT Rights, Liberation, Capitalism
Anti: Communism/Socialism, Nation-bashing, American Prejudice
CUBAN IMMIGRANT

User avatar
Napkiraly
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37450
Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 pm

To be fair to the Americans, I've met quite a number of Europeans who also have no clue as to what communism or socialism really is. Same goes for Canada. Ignorance knows no borders.

User avatar
Lillitania
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 176
Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillitania » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Napkiraly wrote:To be fair to the Americans, I've met quite a number of Europeans who also have no clue as to what communism or socialism really is. Same goes for Canada. Ignorance knows no borders.


I like that, I'm going to see if it's possible to put quotes in signatures.
Liberty, Democracy, Equality
Hippostania - Unjustly deleted 30/7/2013
Napkiraly wrote:To be fair to the Americans, I've met quite a number of Europeans who also have no clue as to what communism or socialism really is. Same goes for Canada. Ignorance knows no borders.
AMERICAN
Picture of Me
Pro: United States, Patriotism, Guns, LGBT Rights, Liberation, Capitalism
Anti: Communism/Socialism, Nation-bashing, American Prejudice
CUBAN IMMIGRANT

User avatar
The Progressive Society
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 146
Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Progressive Society » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
The Progressive Society wrote:Yes, that would help, but we need to stop inequality from the start. Increase welfare spending, healthcare spending, and stop letting corporations rule our nation.

1) There is no reason for welfare spending on able-bodied adults if everyone has the opportunity to become educated.

2) The United States already spends more on healthcare than other countries. Throwing money at a problem is not a solution.

3) Large corporations do not rule the country. Drop the sensationalist rhetoric.



I support funding for education, I really do, but welfare is necessary.

I shouldn't have said more spending for healthcare, we need universal healthcare, not necessarily more spending.

Lastly corporations do run the country somewhat. Take a look around you, it's all corporate.
A liberal, who happens to live in Redneck Arizona

Pro: Anarcho-Communism, anti-corporatism, secularism, democratic socialism

Against: Theocracies, conservatism, corruption, capitalism, racism.

This nation represents my political views pretty accurately.


User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:38 pm

The Progressive Society wrote:During the recession and recovery the upper class managed to get even wealthier here in the states. Read here http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/art ... g-recovery

I know this is old news, even though its a new article. But it makes you think about how bad wealth gaps are in America, and what we need to do to overcome them.

What do you think of the article, and the rising inequality in the U.S?

I think we need to raise the minimum wage to $10/hour and put in a big jobs program to get everyone back to work

once everyone is back to work they will be able to demand the wages they were getting before the big collapse.

oh and we need to get rid of right-to-work laws.
whatever

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:40 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Maurepas wrote:I don't have a problem with the rich getting wealthier. I have a problem with them getting wealthier and then doing everything they can to fight paying their taxes.

Hell, get as wealthy as you want, but our government needs to make sure that they're giving back to society in return.

I also wouldn't mind if everyone else got wealthier in the process and that the gaps weren't so freaking large.

I don't even care what the gap is. I want working people to be able to afford to live without government assistance.
whatever

User avatar
Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10012
Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:3. LARGE COPRATIONS DON'T RULE THIS COUNTRY! - until they do.

Evidence: (Off the top of my head) Super PACs

1. Individuals have the right to express their political opinions.
2. The means to expressing one's opinions in the modern world is money.
3. Individuals should be able to spend money to promote their political views.
4. Individuals have the freedom to associate.
5. Political action committees are associations of individuals.
6. Thus, these associations should be able to spend money to promote their political views.

Ashmoria wrote:oh and we need to get rid of right-to-work laws.

Oh, yes, let's force workers to join organizations they dislike as a condition of employment.

Individuals should have the freedom not to associate without suffering discrimination in employment.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

User avatar
Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27544
Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Ashmoria wrote:oh and we need to get rid of right-to-work laws.


How about no and we just give workers a choice?

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49129
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:48 pm

I read an interesting study. They polled people on wealth inequality and ideas of the government may address it ( taxes, social programs, etc). They then showed a video on wealth inequality.

The results were those concerned about inequality increased, however their trust of how the government could address inequality remained fairly constant. I can't find it now, perhaps if someone could help.

So America really does not have a knowledge about the dangers of wealth inequality problem, they have a trust of government problem.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49129
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:02 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
The Progressive Society wrote:During the recession and recovery the upper class managed to get even wealthier here in the states. Read here http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/art ... g-recovery

I know this is old news, even though its a new article. But it makes you think about how bad wealth gaps are in America, and what we need to do to overcome them.

What do you think of the article, and the rising inequality in the U.S?

I think we need to raise the minimum wage to $10/hour and put in a big jobs program to get everyone back to work

once everyone is back to work they will be able to demand the wages they were getting before the big collapse.

oh and we need to get rid of right-to-work laws.


We need ideas likely to get passed.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Yankee Empire
Senator
 
Posts: 4186
Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:03 pm

Luziyca wrote:I place it on American imperialism, which was designed to benefit the rich, to the detriment of the ordinary peoples.

There is no American Imperalism.
Yet.

Economic Hegemony is not Imperialism.
Last edited by Yankee Empire on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05


Pro: U.S.,Diplomatic Militarism, Imperialism, Patriotism/Civic Nationalism, Cosmopolitanism, Stoicism, Authoritarianism, Classical Liberalism, Unionism, Centralization (usually), Federalism, Corporatism.
Anti:Tribalism, Seccessionism(usually),Decentralization,Pure Capitalism/State controlled economics, Misanthropy,Cruelty, Cowardice, Pacifism,Hedonism, Corporitocracy.
Vice-Chairman of the National-Imperialist-FreedomParty
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."-Carl Schurz

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 49129
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Kamchastkia wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:1) There is no reason for welfare spending on able-bodied adults if everyone has the opportunity to become educated.

2) The United States already spends more on healthcare than other countries. Throwing money at a problem is not a solution.

3) Large corporations do not rule the country. Drop the sensationalist rhetoric.

3. LARGE COPRATIONS DON'T RULE THIS COUNTRY! - until they do.

Evidence: (Off the top of my head) Super PACs

Didn't the super PACs lose ? I thought Obama's 2012 victory would prove super Pacs do not have that effect on elections.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27544
Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:06 pm

greed and death wrote:
Kamchastkia wrote:3. LARGE COPRATIONS DON'T RULE THIS COUNTRY! - until they do.

Evidence: (Off the top of my head) Super PACs

Didn't the super PACs lose ? I thought Obama's 2012 victory would prove super Pacs do not have that effect on elections.


But...but...corporations....and trillions of dollars....and puppets...and buying elections...and....corporations....and...and...

User avatar
Ensiferum
Diplomat
 
Posts: 922
Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ensiferum » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:08 pm

greed and death wrote:
Kamchastkia wrote:3. LARGE COPRATIONS DON'T RULE THIS COUNTRY! - until they do.

Evidence: (Off the top of my head) Super PACs

Didn't the super PACs lose ? I thought Obama's 2012 victory would prove super Pacs do not have that effect on elections.


The PACs and super-PACs were dealt a blow by the increase in votes for third parties and Obama's win, but I believe super-PACs have been most effective in Congressional elections. Then again my memory may be wrong, but logic would say it is easier for them to influence a smaller area than the entire nation.

User avatar
Pragia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7190
Founded: May 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pragia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Oh hey, people with money got more money, lets yell at their luck/fortune!
In OOC call me Tom.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
Pragia wrote:And, let it be known that pretentias 2000th post was begging for mercy... From me.

What?! You asshole!

User avatar
AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27722
Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Maybe you could tax wealth instead of just income.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

User avatar
Ensiferum
Diplomat
 
Posts: 922
Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ensiferum » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:12 pm

The Progressive Society wrote:During the recession and recovery the upper class managed to get even wealthier here in the states. Read here http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/art ... g-recovery

I know this is old news, even though its a new article. But it makes you think about how bad wealth gaps are in America, and what we need to do to overcome them.

What do you think of the article, and the rising inequality in the U.S?


Not surprised at all. That's why Occupy came to be. Pity America allowed the Iron Heel to come down on it, unconstitutionally at that. You'd think after they cut the internet in Oakland the first time America would have woken up and realized what was going on but I suppose they enjoy being abused and having their rights stripped.

User avatar
Pragia
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7190
Founded: May 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pragia » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Ensiferum wrote:
The Progressive Society wrote:During the recession and recovery the upper class managed to get even wealthier here in the states. Read here http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/art ... g-recovery

I know this is old news, even though its a new article. But it makes you think about how bad wealth gaps are in America, and what we need to do to overcome them.

What do you think of the article, and the rising inequality in the U.S?


Not surprised at all. That's why Occupy came to be. Pity America allowed the Iron Heel to come down on it, unconstitutionally at that. You'd think after they cut the internet in Oakland the first time America would have woken up and realized what was going on but I suppose they enjoy being abused and having their rights stripped.

Internet is a constitutional right now?
In OOC call me Tom.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
Pragia wrote:And, let it be known that pretentias 2000th post was begging for mercy... From me.

What?! You asshole!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Dooom35796821595, Forumland, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Harmonic Empire, Nakena, Necroghastia, Sowia, The Blaatschapen, The Huskar Social Union, Wunderstrafanstalt

Advertisement

Remove ads