NATION

PASSWORD

Gay marriages....now what about siblings parents or animals?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:
Death Metal wrote:
Only when it comes to making sure all parties are consenting in sound mind, and no further than that.

What constitutes "all parties". and why not further than that?

Consenting parties are the two (or more) people in the relationship making a commitment to one another.

And why no further than that? Because it is no body elses business. You want the state, or me and my friends, to have a say in whether you can marry your girl? I don't like her hair, so I veto your marriage proposal.

Yankee Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Transhuman Proteus wrote:
Yankee Empire wrote:It could, the current dreadful state of Marriage isn't justification for Ridculously disgusting ideas.

Polygamy though i'm personally not prepared to be all that opposed to, But incest and Beastiality is another matter entirely.

The "current" dreadful state of marriage?

When wasn't marriage something abuse, discrimination, etc etc etc exist in? Back when it was a business or political transaction? Back when a white couldn't marry a black? Back when I woman couldn't leave the guy who beat her or vice versa? Marriage is better then it has ever be today.

Yeah 50 percent divorce rates, SUCCESS!

Marriage is too easy to obtain, someone in my own close family got married and then divorced in just over a years time.

It's completely idiotic.
Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Pro: U.S.,Diplomatic Militarism, Imperialism, Patriotism/Civic Nationalism, Cosmopolitanism, Stoicism, Authoritarianism, Classical Liberalism, Unionism, Centralization (usually), Federalism, Corporatism.
Anti:Tribalism, Seccessionism(usually),Decentralization,Pure Capitalism/State controlled economics, Misanthropy,Cruelty, Cowardice, Pacifism,Hedonism, Corporitocracy.
Vice-Chairman of the National-Imperialist-FreedomParty
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."-Carl Schurz

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:

When wasn't marriage something abuse, discrimination, etc etc etc exist in? Back when it was a business or political transaction? Back when a white couldn't marry a black? Back when I woman couldn't leave the guy who beat her or vice versa? Marriage is better then it has ever be today.

Marriage is too easy to obtain, someone in my own close family got married and then divorced in just over a years time.

It's completely idiotic.

So you think there should be a set of standards on who people should or shouldn't marry?
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Solmakia wrote:What about a man and his dog? Should they get married?

No; the dog is incapable of providing informed consent.

Solmakia wrote:Or what about a man and his son? Or a brother and sister?

Is everyone involved capable of providing consent, and if so, is everyone involved actually providing consent? If both are true, then there's no problem.

I see this brought up by various opponents of same-sex marriage as justification for opposing same-sex marriage: "If I can marry someone of my own gender, why can I not marry a child, or my dog?". I find it interesting that these individuals do not take consent into consideration as to why paedophilia and bestiality can be regarded as unacceptable while still allowing for same-sex marriage. I also find it interesting that these individuals tend to be members of the same political parties which have aggregated the "legitimate rape" folks.

Regardless, consent is the deciding factor. If all parties involved provide consent, then it's okay. If someone doesn't consent or can't consent, then it's not okay for that person to be involved. Since animals can't consent, they cannot be involved. Since children cannot consent, they cannot be involved. Since unconscious people cannot consent, they cannot be involved. Since people who don't want to be involved refuse to provide consent, they cannot be involved. That's where the line is drawn: consent.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:

It's completely idiotic.

Things were much better when people were essentially forced into staying in loveless relationships forever.

But hey, at least people didn't live so long back then. Especially if you're married to an English monarch. Ah, the good old days of Marriage.
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Yankee Empire
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Yankee Empire wrote:This is beyond retarted. How is me saying Beastility and incest is disgusting and morally wrong obsessing?

I was referring to the part where you thought what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home is apparently "societies," and by extension, "your" business.

It is society as a wholes business, because it has an effect on society.
Ironrite wrote:
Yankee Empire wrote:This is beyond retarted. How is me saying Beastility and incest is disgusting and morally wrong obsessing?

The fact that you continually deny it and post something about how it's wrong ever 2 seconds, just listen to someone's opinion for once geez :p

Someone has to be the voice of sanity and conviction.
Death Metal wrote:
Yankee Empire wrote:What constitutes "all parties". and why not further than that?

All parties as in the two or more people in the relationship.

And why not further? Because there's absolutely no goddamn reason to be.

Great argument.
Not really, there are many reasons for it to be, because it's a SOCIAL CONTRACT, it's and institution created and recognized by society why the hell shouldn't society have a say?

Pro: U.S.,Diplomatic Militarism, Imperialism, Patriotism/Civic Nationalism, Cosmopolitanism, Stoicism, Authoritarianism, Classical Liberalism, Unionism, Centralization (usually), Federalism, Corporatism.
Anti:Tribalism, Seccessionism(usually),Decentralization,Pure Capitalism/State controlled economics, Misanthropy,Cruelty, Cowardice, Pacifism,Hedonism, Corporitocracy.
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."-Carl Schurz

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:

It's completely idiotic.

First - explain why divorce is automatically bad.

And just so we're clear: not forcing to people to stay in relationships they don't wish to be in is worse than abuse, racism, woman having no choice and marriage being all about business deals.

Marriage is worse today thenn when you, if you were a girl, could be married off at 13 to your father's 55 year old business partner? The current state of marriage is worse than at time when you couldn't leave your husband/wife if they beat you regularly?

Really, think about what your saying and explain why people being able to divorce easier is worse than those things. Oh, and divorce happens so much because it is possible and there isn't as much of a stigma associated with it. You think it wouldn't happen 200 years ago if people had the choice and no-social stigma?

uote="Yankee Empire";p="14008123"]
Anachronous Rex wrote:No, but apparently you're very interested in what such people do in private.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Quite true. It seems the only people that obsess more about this kind of thing than the people that like it are those who say they don't.

This is beyond retarted. How is me saying Beastility and incest is disgusting and morally wrong obsessing?[/quote]

No, it is the part where you say and believe society should be involved in what goes on in the bedroom.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Okay ya'all:

Y'know how the folks who say "get the government out of marriage!" get dismissed pretty out of hand in gay marriage debates because there's so many facets to marriage that supposedly can't be dealt with without?

Incestuous marriage has a similar problem. Specifically, it has the problem of tax advantages. If an older generation married a younger generation, upon the death of the older generation (which is significantly more likely than the other way around) the younger generation will get the assets tax free because they will have widow status.

Now, this might not be objectionable to you (they were married after all) but such a massive loophole WILL be abused, likely quite extensively. I mean, you thought Swiss bank accounts was bad?

Edit: I'd like to note this isn't an objection I actually have to such folks as who want to marry their sister/cousin/son/et al. being BAD. Merely that there are some things which may or may not be loopholes that'd be used and would have an effect.
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:My Fetish!?

I'm not the one who wants to marry a close relative or an Animal here.

You know, we 'liberals' aren't the ones that keep bringing up marrying our sisters or pets.

Yankee Empire
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Yankee Empire wrote:Yeah 50 percent divorce rates, SUCCESS!

It's completely idiotic.

Things were much better when people were essentially forced into staying in loveless relationships forever.

But hey, at least people didn't live so long back then. Especially if you're married to an English monarch. Ah, the good old days of Marriage.

Your misplacing my dislike for the state of the institution of marriage with some implied sentimentality for Medieval marriages.

Which I don't have, try again.

Awesome Break-Away of 250land
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Awesome Break-Away of 250land » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Your timing is impeccable! Today gay marriage was made legal in New Zealand :clap:
A New Zealander

Official nation name: 250land and Vera. A proud member of the Reichsburg Free Trade Agreement.

Wiki

Yankee Empire
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Avenio wrote:

You know, we 'liberals' aren't the ones that keep bringing up marrying our sisters or pets.

Yes you are, and even those that don't bring it up they imply or blatently saay that they think it's absolutely fine.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:23 pm

Two or more consenting adults should be allowed to get together, if they want.

Animals can't consent, so the comparison, though common, is flawed.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Avenio wrote:

Hmm. Spend a lot of time denying it. And you know what they say about people denying a perversion a lot!

So, sheep or horses? I'm more a sheep man myself. Come on, speak up, no need to be baaaashful!
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Things were much better when people were essentially forced into staying in loveless relationships forever.

Your misplacing my dislike for the state of the institution of marriage with some implied sentimentality for Medieval marriages.

Which I don't have, try again.

Oh, no, I'm speaking quite generally. Since you didn't specify I just decided to include all of history. Of course, that's somewhat disingenuous, because for a long time it was fairly common to discard wives after a time if (for whatever reason) they no longer pleased you.

But, in some ways, that's actually better then 50s era marriage. After all, the woman in said circumstance probably wasn't thrilled with the relationship at that point either. Besides, as I say, people didn't live so long back then.

Summer is coming...

Ironrite
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ironrite » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:
Avenio wrote:

Yes you are, and even those that don't bring it up they imply or blatently saay that they think it's absolutely fine.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! We have a close-minded mindreader! Please give it up forrrr Yankee Empireeee :clap:
[signature]

South Ironrite Puppet (Far-Right lol) - South_Ironrite

Proud Member of the Liberal-Democrats in the NSG Senate. Ambassador to the National Centrist Party

Tekania wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Because some people are under the impression that you have to read him his rights AS YOU ARREST HIM NO MATTER WHAT, even if he's bleeding out from a bullet hole in his neck and was subsequently sedated for a few days.

"Do you understand your rights as I have explained them to you?"

"(bubbling noises)"

Two gurgles for yes, one for no.
Social Democratic Cosmopolitan
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18
http://www.nstracker.net/?nation=Ironrite

The Democratic Republic of Davida
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic Republic of Davida » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 pm

In Davida it is all allowed as long that it doesn't involve people who are not yet of legal age.
You can also marry an animal but it wouldn't have any official consequences.
In such a case for all intends and purposes the human part of the marriage is still technically single.

Sex between concenting adults is always legal in Davida as long that they do it in private.

If someone wants to have sex with an animal it is also not against the law.
I am sure that it wouldn't be pretty but Davida does not think an animal would mind sex any more than being slaughtered and eaten which is also legal in Davida.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:
Avenio wrote:

How many threads on the subject have liberals started?

How many times have liberals said, "and incest is next!"

Always it is conservatives doing this.

Frankly, I'm starting to think that you all just want these things to remain illegal so that you can still feel naughty when you do them.

Summer is coming...

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:28 pm

This is some nice copypasta.
password scrambled

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:28 pm

The ever-popular association of homosexuality with pedophilia. Classy.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Dermastina
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dermastina » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:
Avenio wrote:

Ya know, your sig lists one of your pros as Liberalism. Just sayin'. :roll:
Pro: Good things
Anti: Bad things

I'm English. For those that don't know what this means, this is a disclaimer that if I'm being rude, obnoxious, uncomparatively stupid, or hugely radical, it's very likely that I'm being cynical, ironic, exaggerative, or simply mocking you.

As for my actual views, I'm pro-liberty, anti-democracy, and unsure so far as economic freedoms are concerned. I have reasons for each of these, none of which I shall go into here.

Ironrite
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ironrite » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Condunum wrote:This is some nice copypasta.

Indeed.. Indeed
[signature]

South Ironrite Puppet (Far-Right lol) - South_Ironrite

Proud Member of the Liberal-Democrats in the NSG Senate. Ambassador to the National Centrist Party

Tekania wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Because some people are under the impression that you have to read him his rights AS YOU ARREST HIM NO MATTER WHAT, even if he's bleeding out from a bullet hole in his neck and was subsequently sedated for a few days.

"Do you understand your rights as I have explained them to you?"

"(bubbling noises)"

Two gurgles for yes, one for no.
Social Democratic Cosmopolitan
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18
http://www.nstracker.net/?nation=Ironrite

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 pm

The Democratic Republic of Davida wrote:In Davida it is all allowed as long that it doesn't involve people who are not yet of legal age.
You can also marry an animal but it wouldn't have any official consequences.
In such a case for all intends and purposes the human part of the marriage is still technically single.

Sex between concenting adults is always legal in Davida as long that they do it in private.

If someone wants to have sex with an animal it is also not against the law.
I am sure that it wouldn't be pretty but Davida does not think an animal would mind sex any more than being slaughtered and eaten which is also legal in Davida.

General is OOC.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

The Democratic Republic of Davida
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Democratic Republic of Davida » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 pm

It is not really an issue in Davida but now that I've said that sex with animals is legal in Davida the pig on our flag suddenly seems to have a whole new meaning. :oops:

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:Great argument.
Not really, there are many reasons for it to be, because it's a SOCIAL CONTRACT, it's and institution created and recognized by society why the hell shouldn't society have a say?

Ergo society - that is me and my friends - should have a say in your relationships, which I'm guessing are heterosexual. More power to us, we really should be able to veto it if we don't think it'll work.

I mean, think about it - people don't always realize they're going to end up in loveless relationships that'll make them miserable, potentially leading to costly divorce proceedings, so if we can say "no" to your relationship on those grounds, it'll be socially good.

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Okay ya'all:

Y'know how the folks who say "get the government out of marriage!" get dismissed pretty out of hand in gay marriage debates because there's so many facets to marriage that supposedly can't be dealt with without?

Incestuous marriage has a similar problem. Specifically, it has the problem of tax advantages. If an older generation married a younger generation, upon the death of the older generation (which is significantly more likely than the other way around) the younger generation will get the assets tax free because they will have widow status.

Now, this might not be objectionable to you (they were married after all) but such a massive loophole WILL be abused, likely quite extensively. I mean, you thought Swiss bank accounts was bad?

The people that say "government out of marriage" are usually the ones who are against certain types of marriage.

So - if one believed to consenting adults who happen to be related to one another should be able to marry, but their is a loop hole to do with tax advantages... the government closes the loop hole.

Besides which - incest is a incredibly low occurring thing. I don't think "ok, you can marry your sister" is suddenly going to see a huge spike in the numbers because family members are going to be sitting down going "we can take advantage of the system!", certainly not to the point where you can be saying "the younger generation will get the assets tax free because they will have widow status". You make it sound like after Gen X, Y, Z you'd have "Gen Incest"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General