NATION

PASSWORD

Gay marriages....now what about siblings parents or animals?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Uelvan
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Uelvan wrote:
I can get over the risks of a person with a genetic disorder given a fair chance. It is more unethical to me, to deny someone rights based off of their genes, no matter what it makes you.

But that's exactly what you are doing. You're punishing two people who love each other on account of an accident of birth that causes them to have very similar genes.

However, it is not unethical to tell two (probably) healthy consenting adults that their incestuous relationship will probably produce a child who will be disadvantaged, and find that grounds to deny them.

How is that different? Define "probably." And again, why would it? It is not axiomatic that marriage produces children.

If you read my first post, I pretty much flat out said incest should be illegal.

And I will flat out say that you are wrong.

They should learn better, nature alone tells us that inbreeding is bad, and produces less fertile, and more complication prone children. As an act, it is self destructive, and vile.

"How is that different? Define "probably." And again, why would it? It is not axiomatic that marriage produces children."
To use an example; a Haemophiliac did not choose to be born with his condition, and probably will pass it on, but to deny him/her the rights to marry is a form of discrimination because they did not choose to be born with Haemophilia.

prob·a·bly
[ próbbəblee ]

as is likely: as is likely or to be expected

It is not axiomatic but it is highly common and quite encouraged for spouses to settle down and have a family together.
Last edited by Uelvan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Paper Mache wrote:girls (usually) and their fucking cats

Ah, I gotcha. Girls and their "cats." *wink, wink cough cough* Yes some "cats" are nice and tight, others smell bad and are too loose. Girls and their "cats" indeed.

Grainne Ni Malley
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Grainne Ni Malley » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm pretty much on the consent train, though I have issues with the idea of first generation inter-family boinking/marrying. Not sure what the technical term is.

Animals can't consent and rubbing peanut butter on your privates does NOT count. Also, inbreeding. I really don't think it's a good idea, but I haven't done enough research to substantiate my claim, so if one were to argue against my opinion I would likely concede while cringing on the inside.
*insert boring personal information, political slant, witty quotes, and some fancy text color here*

Гроня Ни Маллий - In fond memory of Dyakovo. I will always remember you. Thank you for the laughs.

Demen 2
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Demen 2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Solmakia wrote:I feel like It's going to come up sooner or later.

As far as I can tell, Liberals are pushing for more and more civil liberties (which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing) and eventually, this is going to come up. Years ago, inter racial marriages were unacceptable, and I'm sure gay marriage was just...unthinkable at the point. Now, we have inter racial marriage, and gay marriage is starting to rise in most of the world except for a few nations that are refusing to let go.

But what next? What about a man and his dog? Should they get married? Or what about a man and his son? Or a brother and sister? When is it too much? How far are people going to be allowed? What should be allowed? I'm personally undecided on the issue of what a marriage really means, but what do you guys think about sibling, inter special or other kinds of bizarre civil unions?

Consenting adults and animals are two different things
Last edited by Demen 2 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Cause music is bigger than words and wider than pictures

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:But that's exactly what you are doing. You're punishing two people who love each other on account of an accident of birth that causes them to have very similar genes.

How is that different? Define "probably." And again, why would it? It is not axiomatic that marriage produces children.

And I will flat out say that you are wrong.

They should learn better, nature alone tells us that inbreeding is bad, and produces less fertile, and more complication prone children. As an act, it is self destructive, and vile.

Actually nature tells us that third cousins are ideal partners.

To use an example; a Haemophiliac did not choose to be born with his condition, and probably will pass it on, but to deny him/her the rights to marry is a form of discrimination because they did not choose to be born with Haemophilia.

prob·a·bly
[ próbbəblee ]

It is not axiomatic but it is highly common and quite encouraged for spouses to settle down and have a family together.

I want to know how likely you think it is? Do you have any stats on this at all?

Now, once again, if them having children is the part you object to: Ban that.

Sorry if seems as though I'm spelling this out, but you seem to be trying very hard not to get the point that I am making. What you are doing is denying a whole range of expressions of human connection, on the grounds that just one of those expressions might produce a negative result. You may as well ban marriage altogether, because "domestic abuse."
My humor is like church wine: dry and tasteless.
If you are not sure if I am being serious, assume that I am not.

Summer is coming...

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Uelvan wrote:

Actually nature tells us that third cousins are ideal partners.

prob·a·bly
[ próbbəblee ]

I want to know how likely you think it is? Do you have any stats on this at all?

Now, once again, if them having children is the part you object to: Ban [u]that.
[/u]

Sorry if seems as though I'm spelling this out, but you seem to be trying very hard not to get the point that I am making. What you are doing is denying a whole range of expressions of human connection, on the grounds that just one of those expressions might produce a negative result. You may as well ban marriage altogether, because "domestic abuse."

I'm not talking about 3rd cousins, that's irrelevant and does not refute my point since they are distant enough.

How the hell do you expect to regulate married incestous couples from not having children? Put a camera in their pants or something? Not allowing them to marry and making their act illegal is regulation on that, as far as I'm concerned.

Cool slippery-slope fallacy, bro.
Last edited by Uelvan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:26 pm

I have no problem with incestuous relationships. As long as such relationships are between consenting adults (18+).
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Demen 2
Minister

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Demen 2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Mkuki wrote:I have no problem with incestuous relationships. As long as such relationships are between consenting adults (18+).

They're still gross though. :shock:
'Cause music is bigger than words and wider than pictures

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Demen 2 wrote:
Mkuki wrote:I have no problem with incestuous relationships. As long as such relationships are between consenting adults (18+).

Oh yeah, they are...

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Actually nature tells us that third cousins are ideal partners.

Now, once again, if them having children is the part you object to: Ban that.

I'm not talking about 3rd cousins, that's irrelevant and does not refute my point since they are distant enough.

Arbitrary.

How the hell do you expect to regulate married incestous couples from not having children? Put a camera in their pants or something? Not allowing them to marry and making their act illegal is regulation on that, as far as I'm concerned.

A solution that not only fails to prevent them from reproducing, but also prohibits them from having any of the benefits of married life. The worst possible outcome.

Wait... did you just attribute your own escalation to me? Well, that's new.

Summer is coming...

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Demen 2 wrote:

Why should I care? I find slugs gross. Doesn't mean I advocate salting the the slimy creatures to death.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Tel
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:32 pm

My only objection:

Oh, god, the inbreeding. I'll lay roses at your gravestone, Genetic Diversity. Always one of the pink ones you liked so much D:

Besides that, I cannot give a flying fuck about what you marry. You cannot impregnate an animal and you...

Don't try to impregnate your pick-up truck. That's not what the exhaust pipe is for, Cletus.

Rocopurr
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Demen 2 wrote:

Not really, and even if they were why does it matter? We can't ban everything just because someone thinks its gross.
speed weed ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )ᕗ

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Uelvan wrote:

Arbitrary.

A solution that not only fails to prevent them from reproducing, but also prohibits them from having any of the benefits of married life. The worst possible outcome.

How it that arbitrary, given my logic is the genetic disabilities produced from incestuous pairing? If they're distant enough to no longer be in that risk zone, that pretty much shoots a hole in my argument, now doesn't it?

They should learn better.

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Arbitrary.

How it that arbitrary, given my logic is the genetic disabilities produced from incestuous pairing? If they're distant enough to no longer be in that risk zone, that pretty much shoots a hole in my argument, now doesn't it?

No, the line of what counts as incest is. It's essentially a purely cultural norm.

Yeah, how dare they desire happiness?

Look, two hypothetical sibling couples:
Couple A - lives as though they were a married couple, and would like to be legally recognized as such. Do not intend to have their own children, but would rather adopt, but have trouble with adoption agencies because they are not married.
Couple B - lives as though they were a married couple, and would like to be legally recognized as such. They do intend to have their own children, and will do so regardless of if they are married or not.

What, exactly, does your prohibition achieve here?

Summer is coming...

Blekksprutia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekksprutia » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Arglorand wrote:... welp, I think we may have to outlaw people training their dogs to speak. Just to make sure consent isn't faked. *nods*

Yeah, well, you can't teach a cat to speak.

"I do!"
"Meow!"

That isn't legal. I love my cats... but... not in that way!
Last edited by Blekksprutia on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KILLUGON and BERNIE SANDERS and my moirail, ERIDEL.
Founder of Kotturheim, home to my GAY POLECATS, who are TOO FABULOUS FOR YOU.
Arg: Blekk does that. The topics of same sex marriage and the human race's fight against idiocy motivate him to write some truly impressive and glorious rants that deserve to be remembered and sigged.
Zott: I see our Blekky has discovered the joys of amphetamines.
Horus: blekky you are blekky i am horus
Rio: Blekky you are the best person on this website. Figuratively, kiss me.
Blekky is like a bunny. He looks adorable, yet he might bite you till it hurts.
Veccy: you're the worst blekky
The Balkens: Blekk does that, he has been taught by NSG's greatest practitioners of Snark to Snark combat.
Napki: Marry me, Blekk
Aeq: Blekk, you are Jesus!!!

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Uelvan wrote:

No, the line of what counts as incest is. It's essentially a purely cultural norm.

Couple A - lives as though they were a married couple, and would like to be legally recognized as such. Do not intend to have their own children, but would rather adopt, but have trouble with adoption agencies because they are not married.
Couple B - lives as though they were a married couple, and would like to be legally recognized as such. They do intend to have their own children, and will do so regardless of if they are married or not.

Well those 3rd cousins would make a winning argument through my logic, since I am only concerned with the genetic disorders that are likely to come from incestuous sex. If you're all of the sudden going to ignore the main argument, then that's fine but it's not very constructive.

They should learn better in the same way as robbers should be taught not to steal, murders not to murder, rapists not to rape, etc. Yes, I am comparing it to this, because when your ego and nativity decides that it's OK to bone your sister and you produce a child who bleed profusely when he falls over and scrapes his knee, it's your fault he has that disorder and you should be held accountable.

How can you make sure all incestuous couples are like Couple A and not like couple B if given the right to marry? If you can not, I do not want to give people the freedom and social stigma to feel like it's alright to inbreed.
Last edited by Uelvan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kengburg
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kengburg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Animal Marriage: No. Animals do not have legal rights to the degree of marriage because they are not sentient and do not realize the stipulations and legality of getting into a marriage.
Sibling/Parent Marriage: No. This would encourage incest in the bedroom which is severely damaging to The Human Race's gene pool.
My Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21
Proud Allied State of the Union of Human Supremacists, Ave Humanitas!

Anachronous Rex
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Anachronous Rex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:No, the line of what counts as incest is. It's essentially a purely cultural norm.

Well those 3rd cousins would make a winning argument through my logic, since I am only concerned with the genetic disorders that are likely to come from incestuous sex. If you're all of the sudden going to ignore the main argument, then that's fine but it's not very constructive.

Which you still have no statistics on...

The should learn better in the same way as robbers should be taught not to steal, murders not to murder, rapists not to rape, etc. Yes, I am comparing it to this, because when your ego and nativity decides that it's OK to bone your sister and you produce a child who bleed profusely when he falls over and scrapes his knee, it's your fault he has that disorder and you should be held accountable.

You think that incest causes hemophilia? :roll:

How can you make sure all incestuous couples are like Couple A and not like couple B if given the right to marry? If you can not, I do not want to give people the freedom and social stigma to feel like it's alright to inbreed.

You are an expert at missing the point. Your prohibition does nothing to help. At. All.

It's not illegal to have sex with a sibling, or produce children with them. You can do that, currently, under the law.

What you can't do is marry them, even if you have no intention of of having children with each other.

This achieves exactly nothing, and makes a lot of people unhappy for no reason.

Summer is coming...

Haydenish People
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haydenish People » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm a libertarian, but, wow, this is too much for me. A marriage to an animal is completely impossible because only one has the ability to give consent. A sibling marriage would just be...incestuous. And, a parent-child marriage is the worst of all. The idea of being married to someone you gave birth to is so morally unfeasible, wrong and disturbing that I have to question the mental state of the OP.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56
Political Test

Read it. Read it now.
"There are three kinds of lies in the world: lies, damn lies and statistics."-Mark Twain

Uelvan
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:
Uelvan wrote:

Which you still have no statistics on...

The should learn better in the same way as robbers should be taught not to steal, murders not to murder, rapists not to rape, etc. Yes, I am comparing it to this, because when your ego and nativity decides that it's OK to bone your sister and you produce a child who bleed profusely when he falls over and scrapes his knee, it's your fault he has that disorder and you should be held accountable.

You think that incest causes hemophilia? :roll:

You are an expert at missing the point. Your prohibition does nothing to help. At. All.

It's not illegal to have sex with a sibling, or produce children with them. You can do that, currently, under the law.

What you can't do is marry them, even if you have no intention of of having children with each other.

This achieves exactly nothing, and makes a lot of people unhappy for no reason.

You're the one who brought up third cousins being the ideal spouse, you provide that statistic, I am going on the mutual fallacy principal, since I really can't be assed to look through it.

http://www.as.wvu.edu/~kgarbutt/QuantGe ... Humans.htm Read that little tid-bit about the inbred royalties having Haemophiliac children. While inbreeding doesn't always cause it, it greatly can increase the chance.

I'm not missing the point. My ban is a good way to enforce the act's illegality. I know laws are broken all the time, but taking away a law isn't going to fix it at all, now is it? Meanwhile, it gives society an reason to punish those who partake in the vile act.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Haydenish People wrote:I'm a libertarian, but, wow, this is too much for me. A marriage to an animal is completely impossible because only one has the ability to give consent. A sibling marriage would just be...incestuous. And, a parent-child marriage is the worst of all. The idea of being married to someone you gave birth to is so morally unfeasible, wrong and disturbing that I have to question the mental state of the OP.

Why is it morally unfeasible? Does it harm you in any way?
password scrambled

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:01 pm

I won't comment on incest, as I'm still mixed on the issue. But I would like to kindly tell you that animals don't have legal rights and can't give informed consent. Sorry about the large text, but the bestiality argument is just plain stupid.
Last edited by Geilinor on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Solmakia wrote:I feel like It's going to come up sooner or later.

As far as I can tell, Liberals are pushing for more and more civil liberties (which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing) and eventually, this is going to come up. Years ago, inter racial marriages were unacceptable, and I'm sure gay marriage was just...unthinkable at the point. Now, we have inter racial marriage, and gay marriage is starting to rise in most of the world except for a few nations that are refusing to let go.

But what next? What about a man and his dog? Should they get married? Or what about a man and his son? Or a brother and sister? When is it too much? How far are people going to be allowed? What should be allowed? I'm personally undecided on the issue of what a marriage really means, but what do you guys think about sibling, inter special or other kinds of bizarre civil unions?

I think you are asking some pretty obvious questions.
Man and dog: No.
Man and son: no.
Brother and sister: possibility
Interspecial: No.
Siblings and incestual relationships: could happen (and has already happened in the past).
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Uelvan wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:No, the line of what counts as incest is. It's essentially a purely cultural norm.

They should learn better in the same way as robbers should be taught not to steal, murders not to murder, rapists not to rape, etc. Yes, I am comparing it to this, because when your ego and nativity decides that it's OK to bone your sister and you produce a child who bleed profusely when he falls over and scrapes his knee, it's your fault he has that disorder and you should be held accountable.

My parents haven't inbred and I have a genetic disability. Should they be punished? Your argument reeks of eugenics.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General