NATION

PASSWORD

Smoking In Public

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should we ban smoking in public places?

I'll smoke wherever I damn please!
14%
No smoking inside public places, restaurants etc. but everywhere else is fine-stop moaning
31%
Yes, ban smoking in all public places-only allow it on private property, I'm sick of this cigarette smoke
31%
Smokers, I shall have my revenge upon thee! Ban smoking entirely! Prohibition!
13%
I couldn't care less/Neutral
5%
Other
3%
Something witty about David Hasselhoff etc.
3%

Total votes : 431

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:28 am

Lamaredia wrote:I have never liked smoking. I do however find it pretty retarded that smoking is allowed, but ''Snus'' isn't. (Snus is tobacco and some other stuff in a small bag that you put under your lip.

Snus actually can be loose, too. While I like the loose, the bags are much cleaner.
password scrambled

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:29 am

Condunum wrote:
Lamaredia wrote:I have never liked smoking. I do however find it pretty retarded that smoking is allowed, but ''Snus'' isn't. (Snus is tobacco and some other stuff in a small bag that you put under your lip.

Snus actually can be loose, too. While I like the loose, the bags are much cleaner.

I never understood snus. If you're going to chew be a real man/woman and chew Copenhagen. I mean, c'mon.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Harold I
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Harold I » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:29 am

No, I don't think the UK should go in further, in fact, I think it has already gone too far with bans in the pubs. I do agree, however, the ban in restaurants and posher bars, because I would prefer not to have cigarette ash in my dinner if i'm honest
:p .
Pro: Brexit, Liberalism, NHS, LGBT Rights, Civic Nationalism, Diversity
Anti: EU, Conservatism, Privatisation, Fascism, Communism, Racism

Equally English and British.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:30 am

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
Condunum wrote:Snus actually can be loose, too. While I like the loose, the bags are much cleaner.

I never understood snus. If you're going to chew be a real man/woman and chew Copenhagen. I mean, c'mon.

Copenhagen, now that's some good chew.
password scrambled

Abatael
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 am

Harold I wrote:No, I don't think the UK should go in further, in fact, I think it has already gone too far with bans in the pubs. I do agree, however, the ban in restaurants and posher bars, because I would prefer not to have cigarette ash in my dinner if i'm honest

Cigarette smoking does not lead to cigarette ash in your dinner.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
ROMVLVS·AVRELIVS·SECVNDVS.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 am

Abatael wrote:
Harold I wrote:No, I don't think the UK should go in further, in fact, I think it has already gone too far with bans in the pubs. I do agree, however, the ban in restaurants and posher bars, because I would prefer not to have cigarette ash in my dinner if i'm honest

Or he doesn't know how it works.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:32 am

Abatael wrote:

That... Doesn't matter. It's up to the business as to what they want to do.
password scrambled

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 am

Condunum wrote:
Abatael wrote:

That... Doesn't matter. It's up to the business as to what they want to do.

What?

I know it should be up to the business. He's saying the ban in restaurants is good because, if it weren't there, cigarette ash would end up in his food, which is completely inane and unsubstantiated. It does matter if he's going to bring it up like that.

And I never once said it wasn't up to the business.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 am

Abatael wrote:
Condunum wrote:That... Doesn't matter. It's up to the business as to what they want to do.

What?

I know it should be up to the business. He's saying the ban in restaurants is good because, if it weren't there, cigarette ash would end up in his food, which is completely inane and unsubstantiated. It does matter if he's going to bring it up like that.

Well is it a government ban?
password scrambled

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 am

In my opinion ban it across the UK and enforce a strict phobition. Just use pipes that evaporate water.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

Lunalia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunalia » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 am

Interesting that you posted this thread now, as today I had an experience that makes me wish the government would ban smoking in outside areas. I was sitting in class taking notes for a test on Wednesday, when the person sitting next to me abruptly left the room. He came back five minutes later, and the smoke particles on his clothes were so overwhelming that I spent the rest of the class in an allergy induced coughing fit. Smoking should be banned in locations where the smokers can come back inside and make other people sick by their mere presence.

I somewhat grudgingly admit that people who want to give themselves an early death from cancer should have the right to smoke... but not where they could infringe on others' right to be healthy and not suffer from allergy attacks. Public health trumps private death wish.
Last edited by Lunalia on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wikkiwallana wrote:
Auralia wrote:
The Catholic Church teaches that participation in gay "commitment ceremonies" is wrong.

You may not have noticed, but New Mexico is not located in Vatican City.

Harold I
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Harold I » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:38 am

Condunum wrote:
Abatael wrote:
What?

Yes, it is, and Abatael, I was joking :p , but the government has already gone to far with the ban.

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

Condunum wrote:
Abatael wrote:
What?

I believe it is in the UK.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 am

Harold I wrote:
Condunum wrote:Well is it a government ban?

Yes, it is, and Abatael, I was joking :p , but the government has already gone to far with the ban.

That seems a bit ridiculous. Let the businesses decide what to do.
password scrambled

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:40 am

Harold I wrote:
Condunum wrote:Well is it a government ban?

So you don't feel the ban should cover restaurants?
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Harold I
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Harold I » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 am

Condunum wrote:
Harold I wrote:Yes, it is, and Abatael, I was joking :p , but the government has already gone to far with the ban.

That seems a bit ridiculous. Let the businesses decide what to do.

It is, and once introduced in 2007, the amount of bars that closed was ridiculous (ps. I li9ve in the UK).

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 am

Harold I wrote:
Condunum wrote:That seems a bit ridiculous. Let the businesses decide what to do.

It is, and once introduced in 2007, the amount of bars that closed was ridiculous (ps. I li9ve in the UK).

Well, I usually step outside as a gesture of politeness, but that's kind of stupid.
password scrambled

Harold I
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Harold I » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 am

Abatael wrote:
Harold I wrote:Yes, it is, and Abatael, I was joking :p , but the government has already gone to far with the ban.

The ban should cover restaurants, hospitals, and public places apart from bars, my view only :)

Nailed to the Perch
Minister

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nailed to the Perch » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 am

I think people should be allowed to smoke to their heart's content anywhere where no one else has to breathe any of their toxic fumes. So, essentially, it should be banned in any building open to the public, within some reasonable distance of the entrances to said buildings (perhaps 25 feet), and in any outdoor setting where there is a reasonable expectation that other people will be breathing your air (e.g. an open-air concert). Basically, keep your smoke the hell away from other people unless they specifically consent to breathe it with you, and we're good.
Useless Eaters wrote:This is a clear attempt to flamenco.

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 am

Harold I wrote:
Abatael wrote:

The ban should cover restaurants, hospitals, and public places apart from bars, my view only :)

Restaurants aren't public, and a lot of hospitals are private.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Fancar
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fancar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:45 am

Smoking should be banned entirely!
And yes, even in homes and private property, because that also puts children and other family members and neighbors (in the case of apartments sometimes) in danger!
It is not fair. People should have the right to breath clean air, and not worry about their health being endangered.
It is especially unfair to children who have no say in the matter.
The only reason smoking is still allowed is because it profits the tobacco company and economy.
I, myself, have been a victim of second and third hand smoke from when I was a child, so I know the effects of it. Breathing problems, bullied in school for smelling like smoke sometimes, getting sick easily, etc., etc.
It is not good for anyone period, and people should not be allowed to be poisoned like that! It becomes so addictive that they can't even quit when they want to.
Perhaps, for flexibility, there could be smoking bars or locations specifically dedicated to smoking where only adults can go, and here should be the only place where cigarettes can be purchased, but they can only be smoked inside, you can't smuggle them out. I think that would be fine for those people who must have their cigarettes.
Last edited by Fancar on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 am

Fancar wrote:Smoking should be banned entirely!
And yes, even in homes and private property, because that also puts children and other family members and neighbors (in the case of apartments sometimes) in danger!
It is not fair. People should have the right to breath clean air, and not worry about their health being endangered.
The only reason smoking is still allowed is because it profits the tobacco company and economy.
I, myself, have been a victim of second and third hand smoke from when I was a child, so I know the effects of it. Breathing problems, bullied in school for smelling like smoke sometimes, getting sick easily, etc., etc.
It is not good for anyone period, and people should not be allowed to be poisoned like that! It becomes so addictive that they can't even quit when they want to.

Is this a joke?
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 am

...The fuck is third hand smoke? Is that like, getting smoke in your face after someone shotguns it?
password scrambled

Fancar
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Fancar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:50 am

Abatael wrote:

Is this a joke?

Why do you think it is a joke...?

Fancar
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Fancar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:51 am

Condunum wrote:

...The fuck is third hand smoke? Is that like, getting smoke in your face after someone shotguns it?

Third hand smoke is smoke particles left on clothes and objects, and in the air.
Get educated.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General