NATION

PASSWORD

Regarding Reincarnation

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:I've always believed life has to continue on somehow, and this actually seems kind of plausible despite the lack of evidence.

:hug:
Down with the Banderovists!
Remember Odessa!
Крым
это часть России. Россия Своих Не Бросает!

We are the Great Souled Men of NS.
General-Secretary of the American Compartmentalist Party. ComPart for short.
Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour
Manifesto - A Treatise on Souls

Proud Supporter of Bashar al-Assad's fight against terrorism

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:
Arcturus Novus wrote:I've always believed life has to continue on somehow, and this actually seems kind of plausible despite the lack of evidence.

:hug:

:D
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Napkiraly wrote:I used to like the idea behind reincarnation, and despite not believing it is true I kinda wanted it to be.

Now I really, really hope it isn't.

Why?

Considering the prospects for humanity (not necessarily me mind you) within my lifetime looks like it'll be leaning towards the shitty end of the spectrum, I'd rather not be reincarnated.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Why?

Considering the prospects for humanity (not necessarily me mind you) within my lifetime looks like it'll be leaning towards the shitty end of the spectrum, I'd rather not be reincarnated.

You'd make a great dung beetle :p

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Why?

Yes but then when that lifes over you will be happy, then sad, then happy, and this pattern will continue until you become enlightened.:P
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm

New haven america wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Considering the prospects for humanity (not necessarily me mind you) within my lifetime looks like it'll be leaning towards the shitty end of the spectrum, I'd rather not be reincarnated.

Yes but then when that lifes over you will be happy, then sad, then happy, and this pattern will continue until you become enlightened.:P

Secular Buddhism > whatever you are

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Other things that seem plausible despite lack of evidence:

The Earth revolves around the sun
When I can't see things, they cease to exist
Leprechauns
Santa Claus
The Tooth Fairy
The Bible (not really)
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Honestly, I think it's the fear that I may be finite that I believe in reincarnation. It just seems impossible that something as powerful and unique as a human life can just disappear after someone dies. It means people like Mark Twain, Einstein, etc. just vanished forever.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Frisivisia wrote:

Leprechauns
Santa Claus
The Tooth Fairy
The Bible (not really)

I think you mean the sun revolves around the earth? :rofl:

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Considering the prospects for humanity (not necessarily me mind you) within my lifetime looks like it'll be leaning towards the shitty end of the spectrum, I'd rather not be reincarnated.

You'd make a great dung beetle :p

And you'd make a great black widow spider. ;)

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Thafoo wrote:You'd make a great dung beetle :p

And you'd make a great black widow spider. ;)

Which gender? D:

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Why?

Ah but there is a possibility that your soul may travel to another sentient species. Or perhaps enough time will pass in between your death and rebirth that your new body will exist in a better world.

On a side note, I think many of our souls could be in worse places.
The 21st century is pretty awesome compared to the Middle Ages for example, at least in terms of standard of living.
Though it's obviously still not perfect.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour

New Naephak
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Naephak » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Frisivisia wrote:

Leprechauns
Santa Claus
The Tooth Fairy
The Bible (not really)

:rofl: Lost it at the Bible.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Arcturus Novus wrote:Honestly, I think it's the fear that I may be finite that I believe in reincarnation. It just seems impossible that something as powerful and unique as a human life can just disappear after someone dies. It means people like Mark Twain, Einstein, etc. just vanished forever.

Well, there atomic particles are still around.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Thafoo wrote:
New haven america wrote:Yet again give me proof. I'm not religious but still need proof.

What the hell do you want? A newspaper article? A Wikipedia entry? The proof is that there is none :palm:

No I'm just asking, give me proof they're not. It's not that hard just use this thing called Google :palm:
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:And you'd make a great black widow spider. ;)

Which gender? D:

Hermaphrodite. Make of that what you will.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Frisivisia wrote:When I can't see things, they cease to exist

Ahh... solipsism. Possibly the most deficient school of thought ever created.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 pm

New haven america wrote:
Thafoo wrote:What the hell do you want? A newspaper article? A Wikipedia entry? The proof is that there is none :palm:

No I'm just asking, give me proof they're not. It's not that hard just use this thing called Google :palm:

Son, I'm not sure that you know, but they just invented this thing. It's called logic. Use it.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:And you'd make a great black widow spider. ;)

Which gender? D:

Female, obviously.

Ah but there is a possibility that your soul may travel to another sentient species. Or perhaps enough time will pass in between your death and rebirth that your new body will exist in a better world.

On a side note, I think many of our souls could be in worse places.
The 21st century is pretty awesome compared to the Middle Ages for example, at least in terms of standard of living.
Though it's obviously still not perfect.
Well yeah, obviously. Still, I'd only like to be reincarnated in society like that from the Culture series.

New Naephak
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Naephak » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 pm

New haven america wrote:
Thafoo wrote:What the hell do you want? A newspaper article? A Wikipedia entry? The proof is that there is none :palm:

Ahem:
New Naephak wrote:Argumentum ad ignorantiam? Good choice.

Thafoo
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 pm

New haven america wrote:

What the hell do you want me to search? "Proof that spirits don't exist"?

I don't expect you to be satisfied..

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
New haven america wrote:No I'm just asking, give me proof they're not. It's not that hard just use this thing called Google :palm:

Son, I'm not sure that you know, but they just invented this thing. It's called logic. Use it.

Personally, I think reincarnation is quite logical.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Frisivisia wrote:When I can't see things, they cease to exist

Ahh... solipsism. Possibly the most deficient school of thought ever created.

And it relies on ignorance and lack of logic, just like belief in reincarnation.

New haven america
Post Czar

Postby New haven america » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
New haven america wrote:No I'm just asking, give me proof they're not. It's not that hard just use this thing called Google :palm:

Yes and I also use this thing called not being tied down. Great inventors and scholars used logic and thinking outside the box, and now they have a place in history.
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:So NS, what do you think happens when you die?

I think that when we die we are reincarnated into the next sentient thing born- whether human or otherwise- in the universe. The time between death and rebirth feels instantaneous. Also upon your souls reentry into a new body, the old memory is wiped.
This process doesn't adhere to morality, thus you won't necessarily be reborn as a beggar if you were evil in your last life. Instead the process is likely totally random and divided into stages.
Although memory doesn't transcend this process, it's quite likely that all bodies inhabited by the same soul have certain mental and psychological characteristics, such as an interest in politics or inherent boldness.

1-Death. Final cessation of consciousness within the old body.
2-Memory Wipe
3-Your soul is sent to a cosmic waiting area.
4-Souls enter a newly born sentient being in order based on who died first.
5-Consciousness within the new body.
6-After 0-120 years: Repeat.

Thus, it is my postulation that everyone here has likely lived multiple lives but doesn't remember any of them. It is perfectly possible that one of us may have the reincarnated soul of such individuals such as Hitler or Lincoln.

Well in the words of Metaphysics "Consciousness is endless, infinite, and real"
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General