NATION

PASSWORD

What age is it acceptable to talk to children about death?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

At what age is it acceptable to talk about death with children?

It is always alright to talk openly and freely about death, no matter the age.
79%
3 Years Old
No votes
4 Years Old
3%
5 Years Old
5%
6 Years Old
4%
7 Years Old
2%
8 Years Old
1%
9 Years Old
No votes
10+ Years Old
2%
People should never talk about death, no matter the age.
3%

Total votes : 117

Rationallia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

What age is it acceptable to talk to children about death?

Postby Rationallia » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:34 am

The other day I was at a relatives home who is a father of a young girl (3 y'o at the time). A TV in the background was playing a detective show and as she walked in a shot played of a dead lady lying flat and having a body bag zipped over her. The young girl asked my mother "What's that lady doing?". She replied saying "Oh, she's just sleeping." I gave the father a look and he just winked. ;) It got me thinking, at what age is it alright to discuss death with children. By discuss I mean explain what it is and the implications of it.

I'm not really interested in a discussion about it, I just want to see the poll results. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves about it. State your opinion, that should lead to more.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 am

I was four years old. I find that acceptable.

(Edit: But that is only what I remember.)
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:36 am

Whenever they ask seems to be a good time to me.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Crazy Animals
Civilian

Founded: Apr 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Crazy Animals » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:37 am

Anytime, I was 5 when I was told about death, I suppose that's why parents buy their kids pets ; So they learn that everything will die, sad but true.

The Black Leaves
Secretary

Founded: Dec 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Leaves » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

I was never really told. I was a very aware child.
Minister of WA Affairs, Balder
◆◆◆
A wholly-owned subsidiary of Charax

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:38 am

At whatever age the child is comfortable with it.

/Thread
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Krjder
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krjder » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 am

No idea, I told my 3yr old brother he was going to I of chicken pox. (I was joking) he told me to : stop being rude
Be polite, write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness.
-Otto Von Bismarck
Embassy App

Nation Type: Direct Democratic Federal Monarchy
Capital: Aastejk
Population: 480,670,500
Current Leadership:
-Emperor Anton IV
-Realm Chancellor Atsūjiri Gyēzashiri
Military:
-1,560,000 Active
-4,750,000 Reserves
Dutch teen, Roman Catholic, socially conservative, economically libertarian. Enjoys; hunting, classical & march music, history and debating.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 am

3 or 4. Given my grandfather died when I was that old and it's rather hard to explain that he's merely sleeping and then putting his body into the ground for him never to be seen again.

Landenburg
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Landenburg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 am

I learned about it the hard way - a homicidal crazy redneck with a gun blew my poor puppy to pieces. I was at least 3 - 4.
Alas yonder woman, damn you tempt me with thy saucy bosom
thus methinks I shall bestow my codpiece in thee & make naughty love to my lady all night
Please haste hither & quench this torment fairest maiden
get some

Blackwing Coast
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Blackwing Coast » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 am

I would say when they ask, or when some relative dies. Or a pet dies.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:40 am

You know I can't remember a time when I wasn't aware of death, so I must have found out fairly early (definitely no later than four). I don't think my parents sat me down and explained what death meant and I'm not sure how I found out.

I would say that I would find it very strange if someone over seven or eight wasn't aware of what death was.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Tsuntion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuntion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:41 am

When the child asks, but I expect preferably before the death of a person close to them. A short-lived pet or something like that can prompt the asking, of course. The parents, or whoever knows the child and is talking to them, can work out how best to explain it. Also, I don't see why talking about death in the presence of a child should be off-limits whatever their age or knowledge of it.
Last edited by Tsuntion on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a roleplayer, but check these out: The United Defenders League and The Versutian Federation.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Jumpin' on the SOURCE-TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO MUFUKA! We be ridin' the rails, checkin' the trails, you get nothin' and your argument fails!

Mapletish
Minister

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Mapletish » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:42 am

I think there isn't a guideline or limit to which age should children be told about death, death is something natural and children ought to know, not for them to be scared of it but to be aware of it as a natural process.
The Minuscule Nation Mapletish
Pop. 65,000,000 | Capital: Struggait City| Demonym: Maplish/Mapletian| Trigramme: MAP
First - WLC 24, DBC 43, XIV Winter Olympics Second - WCoH 22, RUWC 23, CR 24 Third- BoF 44, HWC 11, WCoH 20, WCoH 21, DBC 49 Fourth - U15WC9, RLWC12, CR 14
Qualified for WC 64, 66
www.unionsports.map
Proudly contributing my triumph's to the glorification of the greater whole!

Nalice
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nalice » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:42 am

As soon as they're old enough to grasp the concept. I'd hate for my kid to have to go through losing someone first. As someone else has said, the death of a pet sometimes has to be their first experience with it, and lots of kids don't take that well.
Last edited by Nalice on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:26 am

When the opportunity presents itself with either a pet or a relative. For me, that was when I was eight and my grandfather passed away. My father's long lived hunting dog died just a few weeks later from an apparent stroke.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:28 am

Talk about death at any age.
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:34 am

Rationallia wrote:The other day I was at a relatives home who is a father of a young girl (3 y'o at the time). A TV in the background was playing a detective show and as she walked in a shot played of a dead lady lying flat and having a body bag zipped over her. The young girl asked my mother "What's that lady doing?". She replied saying "Oh, she's just sleeping." I gave the father a look and he just winked. ;) It got me thinking, at what age is it alright to discuss death with children. By discuss I mean explain what it is and the implications of it.

I'm not really interested in a discussion about it, I just want to see the poll results. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves about it. State your opinion, that should lead to more.

first of all 3 is too young to be exposed to tv shows that feature graphic depictions of death. those parents should get a smack upside the head for it.

second, its a mistake to liken death to sleep. doing so makes some sensitive children scared of sleeping. death should be referred to as death.

third, death should be discussed when death comes up and the child is old enough to notice. so the 3 year old should be told that the dog is dead or that grandma died. the rest of the discussion depends on the actual age of the child and how much s/he wants to talk about it.

fourth, you shouldn't lie to your children. you are the source of all trust, all knowledge, all truth. lying to them makes them doubt everything about the world. they should have someone that they can go to and know that what they are told is true. that someone should be their parents.
whatever

Surfistan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Surfistan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:46 am

I've been aware of my mortality since my 6-ish, something.

Give a book that deals with that problem. A children's book, is probably the best solution.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 am

When they ask?
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Partybus
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2007

Postby Partybus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:48 am

Cabra West wrote:Whenever they ask seems to be a good time to me.

Absolutely this ^

Lost Memories
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost Memories » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:50 am

Cabra West wrote:Whenever they ask seems to be a good time to me.

Thinking the same.
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/result/222881/

hmag

pagan american empireLiberalism is a LieWhat is Hell

"The whole is something else than the sum of its parts" -Kurt Koffka

A fox tried to reach some grapes hanging high on the vine, but was unable to.
As he went away, the fox remarked 'Oh, you aren't even ripe yet!'
As such are people who speak disparagingly of things that they cannot attain.
-The Fox and the Grapes

"Dictionaries don't decide what words mean. Prescriptivism is the ultimate form of elitism." -United Muscovite Nations
or subtle illiteracy, or lazy sidetracking. Just fucking follow the context. And ask when in doubt.

Not-asimov

We're all a bit stupid and ignorant, just be humble about it.

Partybus
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2007

Postby Partybus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:51 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Rationallia wrote:The other day I was at a relatives home who is a father of a young girl (3 y'o at the time). A TV in the background was playing a detective show and as she walked in a shot played of a dead lady lying flat and having a body bag zipped over her. The young girl asked my mother "What's that lady doing?". She replied saying "Oh, she's just sleeping." I gave the father a look and he just winked. ;) It got me thinking, at what age is it alright to discuss death with children. By discuss I mean explain what it is and the implications of it.

first of all 3 is too young to be exposed to tv shows that feature graphic depictions of death. those parents should get a smack upside the head for it.

second, its a mistake to liken death to sleep. doing so makes some sensitive children scared of sleeping. death should be referred to as death.

third, death should be discussed when death comes up and the child is old enough to notice. so the 3 year old should be told that the dog is dead or that grandma died. the rest of the discussion depends on the actual age of the child and how much s/he wants to talk about it.

fourth, you shouldn't lie to your children. you are the source of all trust, all knowledge, all truth. lying to them makes them doubt everything about the world. they should have someone that they can go to and know that what they are told is true. that someone should be their parents.

And even more so this^

Tamoi
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tamoi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 am

This question mystifies me. Why should death be something bad to discuss? How would one talk about their ancestors without talking as if they're still allive? Why is death something one needs to 'talk about' with their children?
I can't remember a time when I didn't know that blankets come from deer and carrots are dead plants, and the idea that humans behave any differently than other living things seems like an introduced concept rather than a default to be assumed. This goes for pretty much any normal to daily life topic that seems to be somehow taboo in contemporary society. Same goes with knives. I know a family from away who won't let their child touch a knife. I would never have been let a cellphone when I was a kid, and yet I couldn't leave the house without a knife, but now in most places it seems opposite. If a kid has a knife in school in Massachussets or even downstate it's some sort of scandal or something. In elementary school in Maine most of the other students had pocket knives, I even remember whittling during recess with some friends. But in Connecticut one of the teachers from my highschool stopped by my house while I was packing for a hiking trip, and called the cops because I packed a fixed blade knife into my hiking pack. Downstate one of my cousins classmates got in big trouble for having pellets in his pocket. He had been squirrel hunting before school and forgot they were in his pocket. Really? How is that even matter to get in trouble? In Connecticut one year in highschool a whole bunch of my classmates became vegetarian all at once because they found out where meat comes from. In. High. School. They weren't children, they were 14-15 at the time. Yet my sister and I were always present when our parents and other relatives slaughtered and butchered our food, and even got the first meat from it when we were very young (an honour, for those of you ignorant of death who don't know). Or the where babies come from one. Kids come from mama goats, why should humans behave any differently? I don't see why death is anything mysterious, and probably the only reason city children cry about death and are scared of death and stuff (whereas most children I know do not) is because their parents expect them to. I feel like this 'mysteriousness' is a recent phenomenon, with only recently people being so isolated from other living things in cities. I think it has more to do with exposure to nature than any sort of change in values (regardless of whether one thinks this change is progress or not.) A symptom of nature deficit disorder, perhaps?

EDIT: I do remember when I first learned about funerals, though. I remember thinking they were horrific and selfish, and telling my father to make sure I was thrown in the woods when I died so I wouldn't go to waste. (All he said was "I'll probably die before you" and I just responded "oh.")
Last edited by Tamoi on Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 am

Tamoi, paragraphs please.

OP: I'd tell them as soon as they ask.

Anarkadia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anarkadia » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:13 am

Whenever they are able to understand. That way, when you talk to them about sex, it makes it a pleasant surprise! :p
Anarcho-communist federation of the region Anarkadia.

¡Viva la Comunismo Anarquísta! ¡Muerte al Fascismo!

We are a horizontal federation of autonomous communities - not a nation-state. The governing body and economy are completely decentralized.
NSWiki Entry - NSEconomy - NSTracker
Pro: Internationalism, participatory democracy, autogestion, cybernetics, specifism, anarcho-syndicalism, horizontalism, mutual aid, social justice, RRFMs

Anti: Authoritarianism, nationalism, capitalism, fascism, racism, (hetero)sexism

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.13

Political Test

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General