NATION

PASSWORD

The New Bear Approach

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Scandinvans
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

The New Bear Approach

Postby The Scandinvans » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:24 am

It seems the Indian army has finally found a way to deal with those pesky militants.

The answer seems to be bears. Bears who eat their nation's enemies. *nod*

British Broadcasting Channel wrote:A bear killed two militants after discovering them in its den in Indian-administered Kashmir, police say.

Two other militants escaped, one of them badly wounded, after the attack in Kulgam district, south of Srinagar.

The militants had assault rifles but were taken by surprise - police found the remains of pudding they had made to eat when the bear attacked.

It is thought to be the first such incident since Muslim separatists took up arms against Indian rule in 1989.

Bodies found

The militants had made their hideout in a cave which was actually the bear's den, said police officer Farooq Ahmed.

The dead have been identified as Mohammad Amin alias Qaiser, and Bashir Ahmed alias Saifullah.

News of the attack emerged when their injured comrade went to a nearby village for treatment.

"Word spread in the village that Qaiser had been killed by the bear," another police officer said.

A joint party of the police and army personnel went into the forest and collected the bodies of the two militants.

Police say they also recovered two Kalashnikov assault rifles and some ammunition from the hideout.

Animal attacks

Wildlife experts say the conflict in Kashmir has actually resulted in an increase in the population of bears and leopards.

Following the outbreak of the insurgency people had to hand in their weapons to police - which put a halt to poaching.

As a result, there has been a greater incidence of man-animal conflict, say experts.

There have been many reports of bears and leopards killing or mauling humans in different parts of the Kashmir valley in recent years.

Three years ago, residents of Mandora village near the southern town of Tral, beat a black bear to death which had strayed into the village

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8339549.stm
Last edited by The Scandinvans on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
We are the Glorious Empire of the Scandinvans. Surrender or be destroyed. Your civilization has ended, your time is over. Your people will be assimilated into our Empire. Your technological distinctiveness shall be added to our own. Your culture shall be supplanted by our own. And your lands will be made into our lands.

"For five thousand years has our Empire endured. In war and peace we have thrived. Against overwhelming odds we evolved. No matter what we face we have always survived and grown. We shall always be triumphant." -Emperor Godfrey II

Hope for a brighter tomorrow - fight the fight, find the cure

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:27 am

Stephen Colbert warned us about these godless killing machines, but did we listen? No.

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:28 am

Zeppy wrote:Stephen Colbert warned us about these godless killing machines, but did we listen? No.

Muslims?
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:30 am

I may want to point out that the bears in the story may in fact be wild, so I think this was an indiscriminate attack. Either way, it seems to indicate now wildlife is indeed thriving in Kashmir (this may or may not be indicative of the overall situation of the safety of species on planet Earth).

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:30 am

Brogavia wrote:
Zeppy wrote:Stephen Colbert warned us about these godless killing machines, but did we listen? No.

Muslims?

Yes that but in the ebilist of them all, is the Muslim bear!

Fear him.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:30 am

Clearly we must expand this plan and begin releasing bears along the Afghan/Pakistan border. *nod*
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:31 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Clearly we must expand this plan and begin releasing bears along the Afghan/Pakistan border. *nod*

One of many of Obamas plan.

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:55 am

One more reason why bears should be the national emblem, they kick ass! :clap: :bow: :clap:
Last edited by United Russian State on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:59 am

Obligatory:

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:01 am

Zeppy wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Clearly we must expand this plan and begin releasing bears along the Afghan/Pakistan border. *nod*

One of many of Obamas plan.

I envision a genetic facility somewhere deep underground in a remote state like Montana, where a new breed of bear is being engineered by our government to do just that. Elite bear squadrons patrolling the Pakistani mountainside, with improved sense of smell to root out those enemies.

DO WANT GENETIC SUPERSOLDIER BEARS! <3
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 am

The militants are dead, but left their guns. The next batch of militants will have to deal with...
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Chernobyl-Pripyat
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernobyl-Pripyat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:18 am

To think if we had these in Chechnya and Dagestan, the enemy would have been wiped out by mid 2001!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:24 am

Chernobyl-Pripyat wrote:To think if we had these in Chechnya and Dagestan, the enemy would have been wiped out by mid 2001!

Sadly the Russians prefer to let Spanish nobility hunt all their bears.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:30 am

They must have been relatives of Voytek.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/voytek.html

He drank, he smoked, and he kicked Nazi ass.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

La Habana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Potential new weapon against the Taliban?

Postby La Habana » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:36 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8339549.stm

Now, if the coalition forces in Afghanistan were to sneak a few black bears into Taliban tunnels, they may just have the solution to all their problems.....
The Original CyberPunk Dystopia of NationStates.
Proteus of F7, God of Foresight and Transformation.
LA HABANA FACTBOOK
Council Member of The Vladivostok Alliance.
New Sociopia wrote:Really camp Jesus flailing his wrists wildly and saying 'Like, ohmygod! Get out of the temple bitches! You aren't nearly fabulous enough!'
La Habana wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:I own most of Antarctica!

Like hell you do.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:37 pm

I keep getting the feeling that the best weapon against the Taliban would be something along the lines of "not being dicks to the local population."

Edit: also, holy shit that's awesome. I can't imagine what they were thinking.
"Hey Kabul, let's hide out in this mysterious, dark cave which is oddly warm and has an animal odour about it."
"Alright, Hassan. And let me put down my rifle and not bother, say, yelling into the cave, just in case."
Last edited by Tubbsalot on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

La Habana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby La Habana » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:I keep getting the feeling that the best weapon against the Taliban would be something along the lines of "not being dicks to the local population."

Yes that too.
The Original CyberPunk Dystopia of NationStates.
Proteus of F7, God of Foresight and Transformation.
LA HABANA FACTBOOK
Council Member of The Vladivostok Alliance.
New Sociopia wrote:Really camp Jesus flailing his wrists wildly and saying 'Like, ohmygod! Get out of the temple bitches! You aren't nearly fabulous enough!'
La Habana wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:I own most of Antarctica!

Like hell you do.

Lord-General Drache
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord-General Drache » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:47 pm

There was a russian bear who served in their military during world war II. It received multiple commendations and promotions. Can't remember the name though, and I hope it's not apocryphal.
Life is mine to give and take; death is my bailiwick. I freely go where angels dare not tread, and have danced blades with the demons that lurk in your darkest nightmares.
RIP Colodia: 4/13/2011.

Almajoya
Minister

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Almajoya » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:47 pm

La Habana wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8339549.stm

Now, if the coalition forces in Afghanistan were to sneak a few black bears into Taliban tunnels, they may just have the solution to all their problems.....

I think you may have figured out what happened to Bin Laden. :eyebrow:

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Lord-General Drache wrote:There was a russian bear who served in their military during world war II. It received multiple commendations and promotions. Can't remember the name though, and I hope it's not apocryphal.

Vladimir Putin?

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:52 pm

The British army has used this tactics for years

their not dead their hibernating

Tubbsalot wrote:I keep getting the feeling that the best weapon against the Taliban would be something along the lines of "not being dicks to the local population."

you'd think so but no what with Taliban being made up of foreigner using fear and intimidation to get what they want
Last edited by Call to power on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

Lord-General Drache
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord-General Drache » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Zeppy wrote:
Lord-General Drache wrote:There was a russian bear who served in their military during world war II. It received multiple commendations and promotions. Can't remember the name though, and I hope it's not apocryphal.

Vladimir Putin?

No, his eyes are too soulless to be a creature of nature. A common mistake his victims make before he consumes there souls, you know.
Life is mine to give and take; death is my bailiwick. I freely go where angels dare not tread, and have danced blades with the demons that lurk in your darkest nightmares.
RIP Colodia: 4/13/2011.

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:57 pm

Lord-General Drache wrote:
Zeppy wrote:

Vladimir Putin?

No, his eyes are too soulless to be a creature of nature. A common mistake his victims make before he consumes there souls, you know.

Their souls*.

Another common mistake.

Also, look up a few posts and you'll see the bear you're talking about.
...gorgonopsids.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:07 pm

It could be a couple of soldiers in disguise as a ruse to scare new soldiers on duty sorta thing.

Samatolian City-States
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Samatolian City-States » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Call to power wrote:

you'd think so but no what with Taliban being made up of foreigner using fear and intimidation to get what they want

Not really. Try again.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Corruption is evil. Therefore, power is evil. Absolute power is absolute evil.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General