NATION

PASSWORD

Who is harmed by same-sex marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Norstal wrote:
Slovenya wrote:
لُوطًا إِذۡ قَالَ لِقَوۡمِهِۦۤ أَتَأۡتُونَ ٱلۡفَـٰحِشَةَ مَا سَبَقَكُم بِہَا مِنۡ أَحَدٍ۬ مِّنَ ٱلۡعَـٰلَمِينَ (٨٠) إِنَّڪُمۡ لَتَأۡتُونَ ٱلرِّجَالَ شَہۡوَةً۬ مِّن دُونِ ٱلنِّسَآءِ‌ۚ بَلۡ أَنتُمۡ قَوۡمٌ۬ مُّسۡرِفُونَ (٨١)

We also (sent) Lut: he said to his people: "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you? (80) "For ye practise your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds." (81)

So, not only are you stealing culture from the Jews, but you also misinterpret it as well.

Unbelievable. No wonder Jews are pissed all the time.

Slovenya isn't a Christian. :P

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Norstal wrote:So, not only are you stealing culture from the Jews, but you also misinterpret it as well.

Unbelievable. No wonder Jews are pissed all the time.

I'm referring to both Christians and Islam. Both stole culture from the Jews. If they weren't, they shouldn't be worshiping a Jewish god.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Norstal wrote:I'm referring to both Christians and Islam. Both stole culture from the Jews. If they weren't, they shouldn't be worshiping a Jewish god.

Yea, also call us a bunch of bastards why don't you :roll:

If you are going to start to bash Christianity when I, a Christian, supports gay marriage, no wonder people get polarized.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Evraim
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Norstal wrote:You're worshiping the Jewish God, yet you trample and desecrate His words by redefining it in your own twisted ways. If that's not stealing culture, I don't know what is.

I neither trample nor desecrate his words. The Jewish culture is my culture. I meant to ask if I came across as angry all the time, silly? :p

Agymnum wrote:And now, Jews are being told by Christians what their scripture means. I mean, Christians don't think Jews can interpret their own scripture well enough, so they apparently intervene to give them the "right" interpretation.

It's either that or reject their cherished beliefs. I think I can understand why the first option possesses so much appeal.
Last edited by Evraim on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Norstal wrote:I'm referring to both Christians and Islam. Both stole culture from the Jews. If they weren't, they shouldn't be worshiping a Jewish god.

Yea, also call us a bunch of bastards why don't you :roll:

If you are going to start to bash Christianity when I, a Christian, supports gay marriage, no wonder people get polarized.

Where am I bashing your religion? You worship a Jewish god and you do not follow Jewish customs. That's stealing culture. That's not right. If you see groups of Christians like the WBC, who worships your god yet follows none of his laws, are they not doing something wrong? Are they not stealing the Christian name?

That's not to say Christians doesn't follow some Jewish customs correctly. Some do. Some don't.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Evraim wrote:
Norstal wrote:You're worshiping the Jewish God, yet you trample and desecrate His words by redefining it in your own twisted ways. If that's not stealing culture, I don't know what is.

I neither trample nor desecrate his words. The Jewish culture is my culture. I meant to ask if I came across as angry all the time, silly? :p

I apologize. No, that part was said in jest.

Evraim
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Evraim » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Norstal wrote:I apologize. No, that part was said in jest.

It's not a problem. I was merely curious.

I do, however, disagree with the cultural theft argument. Culture isn't stolen in this case. It's transmitted and evolves. The latter should not at all be interpreted to imply that Christianity or Islam is superior to or more correct than Judaism, mind you.
Last edited by Evraim on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Norstal wrote:Where am I bashing your religion? You worship a Jewish god and you do not follow Jewish customs. That's stealing culture. That's not right. If you see groups of Christians like the WBC, who worships your god yet follows none of his laws, are they not doing something wrong? Are they not stealing the Christian name?

That's not to say Christians doesn't follow some Jewish customs correctly. Some do. Some don't.

Yes, I understand the dilemma with Jewish customs being swallowed into Christianity, it still is our choice as individuals to pick what kind of moral conduct we want to live by. Christianity seems misunderstood as being this rigid scene where people have very rigid beliefs because of the actions of a few individuals, or at least we should, nothing could be further from the truth.

You talk about gender roles not being right? Well let US choose what's best for us, don't try to clump us with all the other intolerant Christians or into a very narrow aspect of Christianity because not all of us Christians even believe in the same moral code or the interpretation of the bible, and in fact you are more likely to find two Christians contradicting each other on what the bible says if they are from different denomination than people of the same denomination.

I also have adopted some buddhism and other types of philosophical/religious thinking in my morality, the fact that I am Christian doesn't mean I conform to the cartoonish Christianity of the WBC or Fundamentalist Christianity.

The WBC is a disgrace to Christianity, that is all I will say of them.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:09 pm

Agymnum wrote:
It's nothing against you personally. It's just that if I let you get away with thinking that your belief is okay, that will shape you in ways that might be detrimental to the success of liberalism, freedom, and equality. That I cannot allow.

Isn't this the same you accuse Christians and Islamists of doing? :lol2:

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Norstal wrote:

I'm referring to both Christians and Islam. Both stole culture from the Jews. If they weren't, they shouldn't be worshiping a Jewish god.

I can get saying that Christians are "stealing" Jewish culture - though, in reality, belief in the same God (belief Jesus being the difference) requires Christians to use the same manuscript - but Muslims essentially share the same heritage, being a "splinter religion" from Judaism.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Agymnum wrote:
It's nothing against you personally. It's just that if I let you get away with thinking that your belief is okay, that will shape you in ways that might be detrimental to the success of liberalism, freedom, and equality. That I cannot allow.

Isn't this the same you accuse Christians and Islamists of doing? :lol2:

I don't accuse them of doing anything wrong so long as they do not infringe on the rights of others. As an Atheist, I find their beliefs silly, but they are free to believe what they want - hence freedom of/from religion.

I rightfully point out the wrongness of any group - religious, political, or otherwise - when they threaten to infringe upon the rights of others. When any group is against same-sex marriage, that's when I accuse them of propagating incorrect beliefs. When any group is against gender equality, that's when I accuse them of propagating incorrect beliefs.

If your beliefs are wrong, I have a right to challenge them. People have this misconceived notion that because they have "beliefs" or "opinions" that these things are beyond question and criticism. They aren't, because what you believe and think may eventually affect what happens to me or someone else.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Straight up Hebrew Bible:

Ezekiel 16:49
"מט "הִנֵּה-זֶה הָיָה, עֲו‍ֹן סְדֹם אֲחוֹתֵךְ: גָּאוֹן שִׂבְעַת-לֶחֶם וְשַׁלְוַת הַשְׁקֵט, הָיָה לָהּ וְלִבְנוֹתֶיהָ, וְיַד-עָנִי וְאֶבְיוֹן, לֹא הֶחֱזִיקָה.

"Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom: pride, fulness of bread, and careless ease was in her and in her daughters; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy."

Word to the Tanna.
Last edited by Menassa on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Evraim wrote:
Norstal wrote:I apologize. No, that part was said in jest.

It's not a problem. I was merely curious.

I do, however, disagree with the cultural theft argument. Culture isn't stolen in this case. It's transmitted and evolves. The latter should not at all be interpreted to imply that Christianity or Islam is superior to or more correct than Judaism, mind you.

You can take my culture and parade it as your own, you cannot misinterpret my beliefs based on your view of my culture which you took.
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Menassa wrote:Straight up Hebrew Bible:

"מט "הִנֵּה-זֶה הָיָה, עֲו‍ֹן סְדֹם אֲחוֹתֵךְ: גָּאוֹן שִׂבְעַת-לֶחֶם וְשַׁלְוַת הַשְׁקֵט, הָיָה לָהּ וְלִבְנוֹתֶיהָ, וְיַד-עָנִי וְאֶבְיוֹן, לֹא הֶחֱזִיקָה.

"Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom: pride, fulness of bread, and careless ease was in her and in her daughters; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy."

Word to the Tanna.

You know, I used to think that God must've been a real dick when he destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.

Now I see he was at least right about Sodom. Bastards got what they deserved.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Menassa wrote:Straight up Hebrew Bible:

Word to the Tanna.

You know, I used to think that God must've been a real dick when he destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.

Now I see he was at least right about Sodom. Bastards got what they deserved.

They say God had enough of Sodom when they killed one of their residents (covered her in honey and set her near bees) because she had helped a poor man.

The Midrash goes into many listings of the crooked ways of Sodom.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Agymnum wrote:I don't accuse them of doing anything wrong so long as they do not infringe on the rights of others. As an Atheist, I find their beliefs silly, but they are free to believe what they want - hence freedom of/from religion.

I rightfully point out the wrongness of any group - religious, political, or otherwise - when they threaten to infringe upon the rights of others. When any group is against same-sex marriage, that's when I accuse them of propagating incorrect beliefs. When any group is against gender equality, that's when I accuse them of propagating incorrect beliefs.

If your beliefs are wrong, I have a right to challenge them. People have this misconceived notion that because they have "beliefs" or "opinions" that these things are beyond question and criticism. They aren't, because what you believe and think may eventually affect what happens to me or someone else.

Well yes, you are right. I mean, if my beliefs are wrong and you challenge them in a manner that is not adversarial I will probably change my own mind. However, note that people won't take anyone seriously if they start insulting each other and they will be more adamant to change because you believe that your religion is superior.

I have nothing against atheism. I may not think the same way you do, but I will never put down your religion or your ideas as "stupid" but at the same time you are right in challenging the ideas of other person. It is how ideas are developed and better ideas come to light. And well, yes, thoughts may or may not become actions, but it is fine to disagree too :p and I admit I disagree with most anti-gay marriage folks, but I don't necessarily think they are wrong in believing what they believe, as they are in their right to have their own personal moral compass, it doesn't mean it's right, but reality will teach them if they don't want to listen.

I Want to Smash Them All
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Wow, this exploded. Did I miss anything?

Postby I Want to Smash Them All » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I was not prepared for the shitstorm after all and "real life" can be inconvenient. I apologize for not posting more and, although I have read much of the thread, I am way behind.

So far, I have seen the following categories of "harm" alleged:
  1. Offense to those -- religious or otherwise -- oppose or hate same-sex marriage, same-sex relationships, or LGBT individuals
  2. Offense to religious individuals and/or deities (somewhat like the above)
  3. Administrative problems causing harm to various people
  4. Societal decay, rampant immorality, etc.
  5. Harm to children raised by same-sex couples
  6. Slippery slope "harm" to ?? because incest, polygamy, etc., will be legal
  7. And this post, which assets myriad "bad" things (many of which do not seem to be alleged to directly harm anyone)
Please let me know if I have missed any categories or particulars of note.

BTW, although this does not impact the "assertions," I realize many answered who support same-sex marriage and that most asserted harms were on behalf of/to others that the poster did not agree or identify with.

Anyway, with the exception of #3, #5, and parts of #7, these are not direct harms to anyone.

The first two categories are not really "harm" at all. The government or society or others doing things or allowing things that you disapprove of or oppose generally causes no "harm" to you in any meaningful sense (except where you are independently harmed by the "things" in question). More specifically, those opposed to or offended by same-sex marriage are not harmed in any tangible way simply because their view is not enforced by government.

Moral decay, slippery slope, immorality, etc., may ultimately lead to tangible harm to someone. But the connection between government recognition of same-sex marriage and such harm involves many intermediate steps and is too abstract and removed.

As to administrative burdens, costs to taxpayers, costs to businesses, etc., these could count, except that enforcing DOMA is far more costly than allowing same-sex marriage and allowing same-sex marriage is less burdensome, costly, etc., than alternatives like domestic partnerships or civil unions. (I'll elaborate later if necessary and I get a chance.)

As to children of homosexuals or raised by same-sex couples, the claim they suffer any harm is a wicked, wicked lie. But, even if it were not, this argument completely ignores that, whether or not government recognizes same-sex marriages, such children will exist. Gays, lesbians, bisexuals, etc., can still procreate, adopt, etc. And, even the proponents of Prop Hate admitted at trial, such children are worse off if same-sex marriage is not recognized and would benefit if it were recognized.

As for #7, I'll come back to anything not covered above if I feel it necessary and I give a damn.
Goodbye. I have scrambled my password. Bob Mould, Stupid Now; Tom Waits, I Don't Want to Grow Up; Pixies, Hey; Cracker, Turn On Tune In Drop Out With Me; The Jesus and Mary Chain, Reverence; L7, Shove; Liz Phair, Polyester Bride; Jane's Addiction, Ain't No Right; Amanda Fucking Palmer, Want It Back; Hole, Violet; Butthole Surfers, Pepper; Grateful Dead, New, New Minglewood Blues; Woody Guthrie's I Ain't Got No Home performed by Bruce Springsteen

Zweite Alaje
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zweite Alaje » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:34 pm

I can get saying that Christians are "stealing" Jewish culture - though, in reality, belief in the same God (belief Jesus being the difference) requires Christians to use the same manuscript - but Muslims essentially share the same heritage, being a "splinter religion" from Judaism.

I wouldn't even consider Christianity and Islam to be "stealing" Jewish culture, but are instead continuations of it. Both of them are basically just variants of Judaism.
Geist über Körper, durch Aktionen Ehrung
Likes: Corporatism, Market Socialism, Syndicalism, Progressivism, Pantheism, Gaia Hypothesis, Centrism, Dirigisme

Dislikes: Capitalism, Liberalism, Conservatism, Libertarianism, Abortion, Modern Feminism
I've been: Communist , Fascist
Economic Left/Right: -7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.18

NIFP
Please don't call me Zweite, Al or Ally is fine. Add 2548 posts, founded Oct 06, 2011

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Zweite Alaje wrote:

I wouldn't even consider Christianity and Islam to be "stealing" Jewish culture, but are instead continuations of it. Both of them are basically just variants of Judaism.

Or so they claim.

Zweite Alaje
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zweite Alaje » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:59 pm

Menassa wrote:
Zweite Alaje wrote:

Or so they claim.

Meh, I'm not a Christian or a Muslim, so not my business. :p
Last edited by Zweite Alaje on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Likes: Corporatism, Market Socialism, Syndicalism, Progressivism, Pantheism, Gaia Hypothesis, Centrism, Dirigisme

Dislikes: Capitalism, Liberalism, Conservatism, Libertarianism, Abortion, Modern Feminism

NIFP
Please don't call me Zweite, Al or Ally is fine. Add 2548 posts, founded Oct 06, 2011

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:00 pm

Zweite Alaje wrote:
Menassa wrote:Or so they claim.

Then it may do you well to not call them variants of Judaism.

Zweite Alaje
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Zweite Alaje » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:02 pm

Menassa wrote:
Zweite Alaje wrote:

Then it may do you well to not call them variants of Judaism.

Ok, ok...no offense meant.

NIFP

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Zweite Alaje wrote:
Menassa wrote:Then it may do you well to not call them variants of Judaism.

Ok, ok...no offense meant.

None taken.

Kayato Kawata
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kayato Kawata » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Daynor wrote:
I Want to Smash Them All wrote:Does anyone on these forums actually claim they personally would suffer some harm if same-sex marriage was allowed and recognized on the same terms as opposite-sex marriage? If you claim you would be harmed, please be specific as to how.
Yes, yes they do. But what a few people say is irrelevant. We are nearing marriage equality in America.

Then can I get married to my sister?

How about my dog?

I also wonder about marriage to intelligent extraterrestrials. Is that counted as Beastiality? Can't be interracial cause its not of the same species. Are people ready to consider these possible future situations now?
Last edited by Kayato Kawata on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Kayato Kawata wrote:
Daynor wrote:Yes, yes they do. But what a few people say is irrelevant. We are nearing marriage equality in America.

Then can I get married to my sister?

How about my dog?

I also wonder about marriage to intelligent extraterrestrials. Is that counted as Beastiality? Can't be interracial cause its not of the same race. Are people ready to consider these problems now?

Sister I have no problem with, but you're dog can't give informed consent.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General