NATION

PASSWORD

A life wasted on religion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Cosara wrote:
Divair wrote:Possible that you are.

But at the same time, likely that I'm not.

It's not "likely".

Kemalist
Senator

Founded: Oct 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kemalist » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Kemalist wrote:I don't really think if she would expect your respect, she will burn you man, that's not a joke :lol:

Then I have no moral reason to follow said God. I'm in the right either way, even if I suffer for it. ;)

Dying for your honor would be ok, but endless pain is not something that could be stood :p
Likes: Ataturk's ideals, CHP, State feminism, Social liberalism, LGBT rights, Laïcité, FEMEN, Civic nationalism, Westernization, Turkish Gezi protests, Social drinking, Anime
Dislikes: Bigotry, Religious conservatism, Authoritarianism, Ethnic nationalism, Moralism, Hijab, Stereotypes, Turcophobia

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Kemalist wrote:It just reminded me of a story of Ali, often quoted in such debates. I'm an Atheist but couldn't help myself to share this;

One day Ali meets an irreligious while going to praying, he is told that he is wasting his time that he could spend better. Then Ali answers; "Let's suppose for once that the god does not exist, I would not lose anything. But what if it exists, what would you lose ?"

Depends on the morality of the god.

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Perhaps, but is a life devoted to art useless? If I find there is no God, I would have still enjoyed the moments of my life that I spent in rituals as old as the hills, it's beautiful and a part of history.

So no I don't feel my life is wasted, some deist (Reconstructionist) Jewish sects still follow the Law out of solidarity with their people.
British, Orthodox Christian, humanist and stoic.

Pro. Disraelian Progressive Conservatism, One Nation Toryism, Distributionism, Civil Liberties, Pro UK, Pro US Constitution. Pro USA.

Progressive Conservative Economic Right: 0.38 Social Libertarian -2.00.

Christian Democrat NSG Senate.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:31 pm

All life is wasted, which is why I plan on becoming a Lich.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Kemalist wrote:Dying for your honor would be ok, but endless pain is not something that could be stood :p

The human mind can adjust to anything eventually.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Genivaria wrote:All life is wasted, which is why I plan on becoming a Lich.

Paladin. I'd have to fight you.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Kemalist wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Then I have no moral reason to follow said God. I'm in the right either way, even if I suffer for it. ;)

Dying for your honor would be ok, but endless pain is not something that could be stood :p

I call jailbreak. I say we go all Salvation War on them bitches. :p

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Kemalist wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Then I have no moral reason to follow said God. I'm in the right either way, even if I suffer for it. ;)

No, it would just splinter and crack to protect itself.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Gothmogs
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gothmogs » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:39 pm

A life wasted reading all these religion threads?

I don't think my life would be wasted if god didn't exist. I think religion can be fun.
I started NS on Nov 6, 2011. I accidentally let my original nation die.
Auurentinaaa
Auurentinaaa
Auurentinaaa

Unlucky 13th Aurentine Senator, and Former member of the first NSG senate party, the Left Alliance.
Also, bonobos.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Gothmogs wrote:A life wasted reading all these religion threads?

I don't think my life would be wasted if god didn't exist. I think religion can be fun.

So is crack.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Divair wrote:
Cosara wrote:But at the same time, likely that I'm not.

It's not "likely".

In my opinion, it is likely that A God exists. Weather it's the God I worship is unknowable. Look at these senarios and tell me what seems more likely

Atheism: Everything exploded out of nothing. Just by chance, everything is so fine tuned that if anything was even the slightest bit different in the big bang, it would be impossible for everything to exist. Rocks smashed together and formed planets. Gases formed atmospheres around these rocks. Water happened to appear on this rock. Over millions of years, single cell organisms formed in these waters and these cells evolved into fish. These fish went onto dry ground and evolved so that they could survive there. These fish evolved into every animal, then apes evolved into humans.

Theism Eternal god(s) created everything.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Gothmogs
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gothmogs » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Seperates wrote:
Gothmogs wrote:A life wasted reading all these religion threads?

So is crack.

Whatever suits you. :p
I started NS on Nov 6, 2011. I accidentally let my original nation die.
Auurentinaaa
Auurentinaaa
Auurentinaaa

Unlucky 13th Aurentine Senator, and Former member of the first NSG senate party, the Left Alliance.
Also, bonobos.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:45 pm

Silly question, given that if there is no afterlife I'd have no chance to ruminate on my past life. Let's say, instead, that I were to convert to atheism on my deathbed. Anyway, I'm fairly sure that I'd have far more important and pressing regrets than anything caused by my religious beliefs. Hell, I - and the vast majority of Christians - have probably done most of the hedonistic sorts of things that are banned.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:45 pm

Cosara wrote:
Divair wrote:It's not "likely".

In my opinion, it is likely that A God exists. Weather it's the God I worship is unknowable. Look at these senarios and tell me what seems more likely

Atheism: Everything exploded out of nothing. Just by chance, everything is so fine tuned that if anything was even the slightest bit different in the big bang, it would be impossible for everything to exist. Rocks smashed together and formed planets. Gases formed atmospheres around these rocks. Water happened to appear on this rock. Over millions of years, single cell organisms formed in these waters and these cells evolved into fish. These fish went onto dry ground and evolved so that they could survive there. These fish evolved into every animal, then apes evolved into humans.

What's more likely? Stuff happens or freakin' eternal Gods? I know for a fact that stuff happens. LIke, stuff just happened. Just now.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Cosara wrote:
Divair wrote:It's not "likely".

Not out of nothing, out of a singularity.

Well, we don't actually have bony fish that close in our liniage, as they evolved later down the line. It's likely that we are more closely related genetically to primordial versions of amfibians than to modern day fish. And fish are not anywhere in the liniage of insects, so kindly take back that "fish evolved into every animal" comment.

And where did your God come from then?
Last edited by Seperates on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Gothmogs wrote:
Seperates wrote:So is crack.

Whatever suits you. :p

Hey, at least you're honest.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Cosara wrote:In my opinion, it is likely that A God exists. Weather it's the God I worship is unknowable. Look at these senarios and tell me what seems more likely

Theism: A God was not created out of nothing, but rather existed forever in both directions of time. Despite being all-powerful and all-knowing, it was outwitted by a snake and a woman, and later murdered everyone for doing what he made them to do. A series of complex rules were created for this physical universe by said God, but contradict all aspects of the stories given by God, presumably because God is a dick who likes lying.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Seperates wrote:
Cosara wrote:In my opinion, it is likely that A God exists. Weather it's the God I worship is unknowable. Look at these senarios and tell me what seems more likely

Well, we don't actually have bony fish that close in our liniage, as they evolved later down the line. It's likely that we are more closely related genetically to primordial versions of amfibians than to modern day fish. And fish are not anywhere in the liniage of insects, so kindly take back that "fish evolved into every animal" comment.

I think he goes by an always has been type of thing. Which is maddening to think about.
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Seperates wrote:Not out of nothing, out of a singularity.

I think he goes by an always has been type of thing. Which is maddening to think about.

S/He's a hit and runner...
Last edited by Seperates on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Seperates wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:I think he goes by an always has been type of thing. Which is maddening to think about.

S/He's a hit and runner...

Don't worry. I do my best debating when the opponent has flown off.
Also, me.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Seperates wrote:S/He's a hit and runner...

Don't worry. I do my best debating when the opponent has flown off.

Bah, but then I can't learn, nor can I teach. So it becomes pointless.

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Seperates wrote:

Did you not read the word "Eternal". That means that God has been there forever. This is far more likely then the Big Bang Theory. In fact, the big bang is scientificly impossible. The singularity had to come from something (Because everything has to have a maker) and that creator of the singularity would have had to have had something create it, and that would continue for all eternity, making the Big Bang Impossible because you'd never find one thing that started the chain that would eventually cause the singularity which caused the big bang. Asking where God comes from is the equivalent of saying that we have no universe, because my above logic breaks the scientific explimation, so there must be an eternal creator who exists outside of time and space and is not subject to the laws of nature, therefor making God exempt from needing a creator.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:02 pm

Cosara wrote:
Seperates wrote:Not out of nothing, out of a singularity.

Did you not read the word "Eternal". That means that God has been there forever. This is far more likely then the Big Bang Theory. In fact, the big bang is scientificly impossible. The singularity had to come from something (Because everything has to have a maker) and that creator of the singularity would have had to have had something create it, and that would continue for all eternity, making the Big Bang Impossible because you'd never find one thing that started the chain that would eventually cause the singularity which caused the big bang. Asking where God comes from is the equivalent of saying that we have no universe, because my above logic breaks the scientific explimation, so there must be an eternal creator who exists outside of time and space and is not subject to the laws of nature, therefor making God exempt from needing a creator.

"But dude! My logic is backed my magic! Can't argue with magic!"

Seriously?
Also, me.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Riakou wrote:My question goes out to our more religious community however all are free to voice whatever opinion they have on this topic.

My question is, as a supporter of whatever religion you may be no doubt the majority of them require you to impose restriction on yourself or obligate you to partake in certain activities, but have you ever considered that if it were indeed true that you only live once would you feel that you have not lived a life as free and accomplished as you could have done?

Maybe there are times when you as a Muslim wished to partake in alcohol, after all there is some clear craze over it, maybe you as Jew wondered as to the taste of pork or even you as a Christian simply cannot be bothered to attend your regular Sunday service?
These are but examples, the spectrum in which you could have limited your life could be major or minor, so would you feel cheated that you limited yourself for no reason or simply adopt and impartial view?

As an additional question, you think its wise to restrict your own life on something that may not in fact exist, especially if you wished to partake in what you were religiously disallowed?

My beliefs on the issue is simply live life the way you want to live it, as long as you aren't causing harm to others why restrict your own life in any single way when you could actually be wasting the one and only chance you have at living?

“Live a good life.
-If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
-If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
-If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General