NATION

PASSWORD

A life wasted on religion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Cosara wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No. I suggest you educate yourself.

HA! You just proved that god can exist. He doesn't need a creator according to Quantum Fluctuation. He could have just popped out of no where and created the universe. You just put yourself at a crossroad. Both can happen. Case closed.

Who would like to go on a mythical quest with me to search for The Razor of Occam?
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Cosara wrote:HA! You just proved that god can exist. He doesn't need a creator according to Quantum Fluctuation. He could have just popped out of no where and created the universe. You just put yourself at a crossroad. Both can happen. Case closed.

Who would like to go on a mythical quest with me to search for The Razor of Occam?

If you promise to refer to it in fancier way than "razor". That makes it sound like shaving brand.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:Who would like to go on a mythical quest with me to search for The Razor of Occam?

I call tank.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:Who would like to go on a mythical quest with me to search for The Razor of Occam?

If you promise to refer to it in fancier way than "razor". That makes it sound like shaving brand.

The Lubricated Stripped Triple Blade of Occam?
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Gothmogs wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:the only time I think its a waste is when someone does real harm to themselves due to religious beliefs.

unsuitable people who get married because of a pregnancy. people who stay in marriages with people they hate because its a sin to get divorced. people who stay in violent marriages because a priest tells tem they have to. people who have far more children than they want and can care for because they believed it when they were told that birth control is a sin. people who sign up to fight in a war that god wants. people who suppress their sexuality because god hates fags.

that kind of thing.

If you are implying Catholicism, they don't care if you get divorced really anymore. Lots of people do. The same thing with birth control, as most Catholics use it. Unless you mean the really religious bible thumpers.

I mean anyone who makes a bad decision because their religion tells them to

it isn't a waste to go to church, pray, read the bible. it IS a waste to never go to college because you are supposed to be submissive to the husband who doesn't want you to go.
whatever

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Great Nepal wrote:If you promise to refer to it in fancier way than "razor". That makes it sound like shaving brand.

The Lubricated Stripped Triple Blade of Occam?

Yes. I call Assassin.

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Cosara wrote:HA! You just proved that god can exist. He doesn't need a creator according to Quantum Fluctuation. He could have just popped out of no where and created the universe.

1. So God isn't eternal?
2. Unnecessary additional unscientific, untestable and unfalsifiable assumption puts it in violation of lex parsimoniae.

Cosara wrote:You just put yourself at a crossroad. Both can happen. Case closed.

Both can happen sure.
However, that means God cant be eternal and said assumption of God is not valid.

1. God can be eternal. According to Quantum Fluctuation, he could be a super-intellegent form of energy which is yet to be discovered by science. As science shows, energy cannot be destroyed, only changed, therefor god could have been a super-intellegent and awesomly powerful form of energy, which was self-aware and could create something simply by thinking about it. This is scientificly possible, because there is no evidence to support that it is impossible for this to happen.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Cosara wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:1. So God isn't eternal?
2. Unnecessary additional unscientific, untestable and unfalsifiable assumption puts it in violation of lex parsimoniae.

Both can happen sure.
However, that means God cant be eternal and said assumption of God is not valid.

1. God can be eternal. According to Quantum Fluctuation, he could be a super-intellegent form of energy which is yet to be discovered by science. As science shows, energy cannot be destroyed, only changed, therefor god could have been a super-intellegent and awesomly powerful form of energy, which was self-aware and could create something simply by thinking about it. This is scientificly possible, because there is no evidence to support that it is impossible for this to happen.

Why would it be probable?
Also, me.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Cosara wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:1. So God isn't eternal?

Both can happen sure.

1. God can be eternal.

Nope. Using your idea of creation of God, there must have been moment before God.

Cosara wrote:According to Quantum Fluctuation, he could be a super-intellegent form of energy which is yet to be discovered by science. As science shows, energy cannot be destroyed, only changed, therefor god could have been a super-intellegent and awesomly powerful form of energy, which was self-aware and could create something simply by thinking about it. This is scientificly possible, because there is no evidence to support that it is impossible for this to happen.

You just violated lex parsimoniae.

Jamzmania
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamzmania » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Riakou wrote:My question goes out to our more religious community however all are free to voice whatever opinion they have on this topic.

My question is, as a supporter of whatever religion you may be no doubt the majority of them require you to impose restriction on yourself or obligate you to partake in certain activities, but have you ever considered that if it were indeed true that you only live once would you feel that you have not lived a life as free and accomplished as you could have done?

Maybe there are times when you as a Muslim wished to partake in alcohol, after all there is some clear craze over it, maybe you as Jew wondered as to the taste of pork or even you as a Christian simply cannot be bothered to attend your regular Sunday service?
These are but examples, the spectrum in which you could have limited your life could be major or minor, so would you feel cheated that you limited yourself for no reason or simply adopt and impartial view?

As an additional question, you think its wise to restrict your own life on something that may not in fact exist, especially if you wished to partake in what you were religiously disallowed?

My beliefs on the issue is simply live life the way you want to live it, as long as you aren't causing harm to others why restrict your own life in any single way when you could actually be wasting the one and only chance you have at living?

I don't go to church but am a strict Christian. I sin every day, you aren't going to be struck down with lightning for sinning just once.
The Alexanderians wrote:"Fear no man or woman,
No matter what their size.
Call upon me,
And I will equalize."

-Engraved on the side of my M1911 .45

Cosara
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Cosara wrote:

Why would it be probable?

Didn't say it is probable. I am simply pointing out that this is a possibility.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Cosara wrote:therefor god could have been a super-intellegent and awesomly powerful form of energy, which was self-aware and could create something simply by thinking about it. This is scientificly possible, because there is no evidence to support that it is impossible for this to happen.

Except this only assumes a whole lot of things.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Cosara wrote:Didn't say it is probable. I am simply pointing out that this is a possibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Cosara wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:Why would it be probable?

Everything is possibility. Its violation of lex parsimoniae means its not scientific idea and its probability is so remote that it can be ignored completely.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Cosara wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:Why would it be probable?

A possibility equal to FSM.
Also, me.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Cosara wrote:Didn't say it is probable. I am simply pointing out that this is a possibility.

A possibility equal to FSM.

Or whatever gods from whatever pantheons. :p

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Genivaria wrote:All life is wasted, which is why I plan on becoming a Lich.

Paladin. I'd have to fight you.

But why? I won't hurt anyone innocent. Seriously fuck D&D's insistence that Necromancy is inherently evil.
Just give me all your death row inmates and I'll give you workers who never tire or talk back EVERYBODY WINS!
Last edited by Genivaria on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Genivaria wrote:But why? I won't hurt anyone innocent. Seriously fuck D&D's insistence that Necromancy is inherently evil.

WoW Paladin. ;)

I was going to be an Elf warrior on D&D, but we couldn't figure it out. It was the last time we RP'd with the high school buddies. *sigh*

Lindenholt
Minister

Founded: Oct 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lindenholt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Kemalist wrote:It just reminded me of a story of Ali, often quoted in such debates. I'm an Atheist but couldn't help myself to share this;

One day Ali meets an irreligious while going to praying, he is told that he is wasting his time that he could spend better. Then Ali answers; "Let's suppose for once that the god does not exist, I would not lose anything. But what if it exists, what would you lose ?"

This could be the smartest Ali story i heard in my life :rofl:
For information: http://iiwiki.us/wiki/Lindenholt
Come to Sunalaya, you'll enjoy it! Sunalaya
This user supports a single state solution for Ventismar.

New Paris 2014, never forget
This user supports a seven state solution for Bograel-Joguestine.

Abatael
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Riakou wrote:My question goes out to our more religious community however all are free to voice whatever opinion they have on this topic.

My question is, as a supporter of whatever religion you may be no doubt the majority of them require you to impose restriction on yourself or obligate you to partake in certain activities, but have you ever considered that if it were indeed true that you only live once would you feel that you have not lived a life as free and accomplished as you could have done?

No.

Riakou wrote:Maybe there are times when you as a Muslim wished to partake in alcohol, after all there is some clear craze over it, maybe you as Jew wondered as to the taste of pork or even you as a Christian simply cannot be bothered to attend your regular Sunday service?

Even not as a Muslim, I have no want to drink alcohol. I eat pork. You do not have to go to church every Sunday; in fact, there are days I have missed church.

Riakou wrote:These are but examples, the spectrum in which you could have limited your life could be major or minor, so would you feel cheated that you limited yourself for no reason or simply adopt and impartial view?

No; in now way am I "cheated" when I try to live a life free of sin. In fact, I feel the opposite of being cheated; I feel better, when I don't sin.

Riakou wrote:As an additional question, you think its wise to restrict your own life on something that may not in fact exist, especially if you wished to partake in what you were religiously disallowed?

I do, and I don't generally want to sin, so, no.

Riakou wrote:My beliefs on the issue is simply live life the way you want to live it, as long as you aren't causing harm to others why restrict your own life in any single way when you could actually be wasting the one and only chance you have at living?

Because it's wrong in your opinion.
Last edited by Abatael on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
ROMVLVS·AVRELIVS·SECVNDVS.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

Cosara
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

So you're saying that Evolution and the Big Bang Theory make less assumtions than the possibility of an unbelievibly rare type of energy which is self aware and capable of creating and minipulating things using their minds.

Hannibaelica
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hannibaelica » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Well it's not exactly as if you can do everything anyway, so you just end up missing different experiences than others. Then again, who honestly follows every single commandment of their religion? Many of them are beneficial to follow, and the ones that aren't are generally ignored. (Well unless you're fundamentalist or a social conservative)
Political Views: Pro-Democracy, Government exists to protect the rights of individuals
Social Views: Equal Opportunity, Individual Rights, Complete freedom as long as you don't encroach on the rights of others
Economic Views: Welfare and free healthcare, Some degree of capitalism or market socialism, otherwise no strong opinions

Political Compass:
Left/Right: -0.25
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62
Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate

MichelleCorvelle
Civilian

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby MichelleCorvelle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:54 pm

All of those opinions really don't matter. Stick up for what you believe in!

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Cosara wrote:

So you're saying that Evolution and the Big Bang Theory make less assumtions than the possibility of an unbelievibly rare type of energy which is self aware and capable of creating and minipulating things using their minds.

A lot less, yes.

Special Containment Procedures
Attaché

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Special Containment Procedures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:54 pm

heh heh, religion... :palm:
Mah political compass.
Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

LaVeyan Satanist heterosexual nerdy whacked-out male = ME! Oh, and when in OoC call me Seniour.

SCP National Anthem

My nation very partially reflects my political views, but mostly not.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General