NATION

PASSWORD

A life wasted on religion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Cosara wrote:Did you not read the word "Eternal". That means that God has been there forever. This is far more likely then the Big Bang Theory. In fact, the big bang is scientificly impossible. The singularity had to come from something (Because everything has to have a maker) and that creator of the singularity would have had to have had something create it, and that would continue for all eternity, making the Big Bang Impossible because you'd never find one thing that started the chain that would eventually cause the singularity which caused the big bang. Asking where God comes from is the equivalent of saying that we have no universe, because my above logic breaks the scientific explimation, so there must be an eternal creator who exists outside of time and space and is not subject to the laws of nature, therefor making God exempt from needing a creator.

Stephen Hawking in particular has addressed a connection between time and the Big Bang. In A Brief History of Time and elsewhere, Hawking says that even if time did not begin with the Big Bang and there were another time frame before the Big Bang, no information from events then would be accessible to us, and nothing that happened then would have any effect upon the present time-frame.[61] Upon occasion, Hawking has stated that time actually began with the Big Bang, and that questions about what happened before the Big Bang are meaningless
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Cosara wrote:
Seperates wrote:In fact, the big bang is scientificly impossible.

Oh my god this is going to be awesome.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Cosara wrote:
Seperates wrote:Not out of nothing, out of a singularity.

Well, we don't actually have bony fish that close in our liniage, as they evolved later down the line. It's likely that we are more closely related genetically to primordial versions of amfibians than to modern day fish. And fish are not anywhere in the liniage of insects, so kindly take back that "fish evolved into every animal" comment.

And where did your God come from then?

Did you not read the word "Eternal". That means that God has been there forever. This is far more likely then the Big Bang Theory. In fact, the big bang is scientificly impossible. The singularity had to come from something (Because everything has to have a maker) and that creator of the singularity would have had to have had something create it, and that would continue for all eternity, making the Big Bang Impossible because you'd never find one thing that started the chain that would eventually cause the singularity which caused the big bang. Asking where God comes from is the equivalent of saying that we have no universe, because my above logic breaks the scientific explimation, so there must be an eternal creator who exists outside of time and space and is not subject to the laws of nature, therefor making God exempt from needing a creator.

No, the "Great Expansion" (there was no air, so there can be no bang) Theory has roots in the observation of red-shifts via the Doppler Effect. It is observably and scientifically accurate.

I propose that nothing is eternal, and that the only thing that is eternal is nothing. Alright, if everything has a maker, than that includes God, as it is a part of 'everything'. Asking where God comes from is just asking where God comes from. No more, no less. If God exists outside time and space, how does it operate? Through what means? Come now, if you're claiming scientific accuracy, you must at least have some data behind that assertion.

Ah-ah-ah... you just complicated your theory without a justifiable reason. Why should God be considered an exception to the rule? Because you say so? Care to back that up?
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Riakou wrote:My question goes out to our more religious community however all are free to voice whatever opinion they have on this topic.

My question is, as a supporter of whatever religion you may be no doubt the majority of them require you to impose restriction on yourself or obligate you to partake in certain activities, but have you ever considered that if it were indeed true that you only live once would you feel that you have not lived a life as free and accomplished as you could have done?

Nope, I am Hindu (atheist) and there are basically no restrictions or obligation to take part in certain activities. There are festivals which I usually try to take part in not because of what ancient books said but because they are awesome and fun (why wouldn't you want to light house at night, get money, have party, fire firecrackers and throw coloured water at others) and because we meet up with family.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Kemalist wrote:
But on the other hand there is the possibility of an infinite torment. :p

There's also the possibility that god hates prayer.

or that you prayed to the wrong god.
whatever

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Should I even bother or should I let you guys dogpile Cosara to oblivion?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Cosara wrote:Did you not read the word "Eternal". That means that God has been there forever. This is far more likely then the Big Bang Theory. In fact, the big bang is scientificly impossible. The singularity had to come from something (Because everything has to have a maker) and that creator of the singularity would have had to have had something create it, and that would continue for all eternity, making the Big Bang Impossible because you'd never find one thing that started the chain that would eventually cause the singularity which caused the big bang. Asking where God comes from is the equivalent of saying that we have no universe, because my above logic breaks the scientific explimation, so there must be an eternal creator who exists outside of time and space and is not subject to the laws of nature, therefor making God exempt from needing a creator.

1. If everything needs a maker as you suggest, then so does god.
2. And, not everything need a maker. Universe can be created by nothingness.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Norstal wrote:Should I even bother or should I let you guys dogpile Cosara to oblivion?

It should be a party.

It really bothers me that people who claim to have faith would cheapen that faith to say that it is "logical" or "scientific". What's the point of faith if it can be proven?
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Zottistan wrote:There's also the possibility that god hates prayer.

or that you prayed to the wrong god.

I was thinking...lets call it thinking...just now that perhaps the most universally disappointing outcome would be that the Pastafarians were right. Every other religion, obviously disappointed.

But the Pastafarians themselves? "What the fuck, we were kidding." And that just raises so many questions, when a satirical religion is the one true one, evidence that the universe is just fucking with us.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Riakou wrote:My question goes out to our more religious community however all are free to voice whatever opinion they have on this topic.

My question is, as a supporter of whatever religion you may be no doubt the majority of them require you to impose restriction on yourself or obligate you to partake in certain activities, but have you ever considered that if it were indeed true that you only live once would you feel that you have not lived a life as free and accomplished as you could have done?

Maybe there are times when you as a Muslim wished to partake in alcohol, after all there is some clear craze over it, maybe you as Jew wondered as to the taste of pork or even you as a Christian simply cannot be bothered to attend your regular Sunday service?
These are but examples, the spectrum in which you could have limited your life could be major or minor, so would you feel cheated that you limited yourself for no reason or simply adopt and impartial view?

As an additional question, you think its wise to restrict your own life on something that may not in fact exist, especially if you wished to partake in what you were religiously disallowed?

My beliefs on the issue is simply live life the way you want to live it, as long as you aren't causing harm to others why restrict your own life in any single way when you could actually be wasting the one and only chance you have at living?

the only time I think its a waste is when someone does real harm to themselves due to religious beliefs.

unsuitable people who get married because of a pregnancy. people who stay in marriages with people they hate because its a sin to get divorced. people who stay in violent marriages because a priest tells tem they have to. people who have far more children than they want and can care for because they believed it when they were told that birth control is a sin. people who sign up to fight in a war that god wants. people who suppress their sexuality because god hates fags.

that kind of thing.
whatever

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:or that you prayed to the wrong god.

I was thinking...lets call it thinking...just now that perhaps the most universally disappointing outcome would be that the Pastafarians were right. Every other religion, obviously disappointed.

But the Pastafarians themselves? "What the fuck, we were kidding." And that just raises so many questions, when a satirical religion is the one true one, evidence that the universe is just fucking with us.

An all powerful bowl of pasta with eyes and noodlely appendages IS a hard-sell. Maybe humor was the way to go after millenia of not being taken seriously.
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

1. If everything needs a maker as you suggest, then so does god.

The Big Bang is impossible and God is impossible. Then it's settled, we have no universe!
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Cosara wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:1. If everything needs a maker as you suggest, then so does god.

The Big Bang is impossible and God is impossible. Then it's settled, we have no universe!

The second remark has a source, I suggest you read it.

Virgo
Secretary

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virgo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Divair wrote:
Cosara wrote:But at the same time, likely that I'm not.

It's not "likely".

Who the hell are you to say it's not likely? Lets say it's not real for a second, then its still not wasted because Christians live their life in a righteous way; unless love, charity, and forgiveness are bad things?

Now lets consider it's real, the true believer is going to heaven, where the athiest who mocks religion burns in hell for eternity.

I'll take my chances being a Christian and living a moral life, I pity you.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:or that you prayed to the wrong god.

lol

don't you know some rabbi that you could discuss this problem with?
whatever

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Cosara wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:1. If everything needs a maker as you suggest, then so does god.

I think you ignored second point.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:24 pm

Virgo wrote:Who the hell are you to say it's not likely? Lets say it's not real for a second, then its still not wasted because Christians live their life in a righteous way; unless love, charity, and forgiveness are bad things?

Now lets consider it's real, the true believer is going to heaven, where the athiest who mocks religion burns in hell for eternity.

Because obviously non-Christians have no morals.

Cosara
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Cosara wrote:

I think you ignored second point.

I did, because it is pointless. The fact of the matter is that the Big Bang has everything in existance exploding out of nothing (or a singularity, as some people call it) which is impssible, due to the fact that nothing can only create nothing.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Cosara wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:I think you ignored second point.

I did, because it is pointless. The fact of the matter is that the Big Bang has everything in existance exploding out of nothing (or a singularity, as some people call it) which is impssible, due to the fact that nothing can only create nothing.

No. I suggest you educate yourself.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Virgo wrote:
Divair wrote:It's not "likely".

Who the hell are you to say it's not likely? Lets say it's not real for a second, then its still not wasted because Christians live their life in a righteous way; unless love, charity, and forgiveness are bad things?

Your God would save me if I believed in him for no other reason than I was afraid of hell? Either he wouldn't be all-knowing or he would be very silly and trivial.
Also, me.

Gothmogs
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gothmogs » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

Maybe there are times when you as a Muslim wished to partake in alcohol, after all there is some clear craze over it, maybe you as Jew wondered as to the taste of pork or even you as a Christian simply cannot be bothered to attend your regular Sunday service?
These are but examples, the spectrum in which you could have limited your life could be major or minor, so would you feel cheated that you limited yourself for no reason or simply adopt and impartial view?

As an additional question, you think its wise to restrict your own life on something that may not in fact exist, especially if you wished to partake in what you were religiously disallowed?

My beliefs on the issue is simply live life the way you want to live it, as long as you aren't causing harm to others why restrict your own life in any single way when you could actually be wasting the one and only chance you have at living?

the only time I think its a waste is when someone does real harm to themselves due to religious beliefs.

unsuitable people who get married because of a pregnancy. people who stay in marriages with people they hate because its a sin to get divorced. people who stay in violent marriages because a priest tells tem they have to. people who have far more children than they want and can care for because they believed it when they were told that birth control is a sin. people who sign up to fight in a war that god wants. people who suppress their sexuality because god hates fags.

that kind of thing.

If you are implying Catholicism, they don't care if you get divorced really anymore. Lots of people do. The same thing with birth control, as most Catholics use it. Unless you mean the really religious bible thumpers.
I started NS on Nov 6, 2011. I accidentally let my original nation die.
Auurentinaaa
Auurentinaaa
Auurentinaaa

Unlucky 13th Aurentine Senator, and Former member of the first NSG senate party, the Left Alliance.
Also, bonobos.

Cosara
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Cosara wrote:

No. I suggest you educate yourself.

HA! You just proved that god can exist. He doesn't need a creator according to Quantum Fluctuation. He could have just popped out of no where and created the universe. You just put yourself at a crossroad. Both can happen. Case closed.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Virgo wrote:Now lets consider it's real, the true believer is going to heaven, where the athiest who mocks religion burns in hell for eternity.

I find this part really funny, so I am going to address this bit (others have already addressed everything else).
Assume person A is Christian and person B is atheist.
Person B lives charitable lifestyle, helps everyone it can, lives overall good life and hasn't harmed another.
Person A is murderer who burned down abortion clinics for "god" killing hundreds of people.
Who will go to heaven and who will go to hell?

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Cosara wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No. I suggest you educate yourself.

HA! You just proved that god can exist. He doesn't need a creator according to Quantum Fluctuation. He could have just popped out of no where and created the universe. You just put yourself at a crossroad. Both can happen. Case closed.

That means that conservation of energy can appear to be violated, but only for small times. This allows the creation of particle-antiparticle pairs of virtual particles. The effects of these particles are measurable, for example, in the effective charge of the electron, different from its "naked" charge.

Can't measure God, can you?

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Cosara wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No. I suggest you educate yourself.

HA! You just proved that god can exist. He doesn't need a creator according to Quantum Fluctuation. He could have just popped out of no where and created the universe.

1. So God isn't eternal?
2. Unnecessary additional unscientific, untestable and unfalsifiable assumption puts it in violation of lex parsimoniae.

Cosara wrote:You just put yourself at a crossroad. Both can happen. Case closed.

Both can happen sure.
However, that means God cant be eternal and said assumption of God is not valid.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General