NATION

PASSWORD

Does unemployment insurance (UI) incentivise unemployment?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
Caninope wrote:Well, it actually does, to a small extent.

But it's not a bad thing. American unemployment insurance is not enough to overly incentivize unemployment so that it becomes a problem. In fact, certain types of unemployment can be considered "good". Frictional unemployment is unemployment that results from the mismatch of a person to a particular job; we don't want Physics PhD grads working in ice cream shops, and unemployment insurance helps incentivize their move from ice cream parlor to Physics classrooms.

Now, to the question of whether unemployment insurance incentivizes unemployment to such a large extent to be harmful on the economy? No.

See, now this is more or less the point. The free-market fundamentalists (I refuse to dignify them by calling them "conservatives" - that lumps them in with you, and you deserve better) who want to end any and all forms of social spending fail to see the direct and indirect benefits they bring to society and the economy. This ranges from the prevention of outright class warfare a la the French or Russian Revolutions, to increased economic activity, to greater levels of happiness and social unity across the board.

Should such spending be approached with caution? Absolutely. Everyone who proposed a specific government program should justify its existence by pointing to a specific problem that this program will solve at an acceptable cost, and every government program already extant should regularly be scrutinized to ensure that it is a wise use of the public purse.

But by any rational metric, the US' social programs already meet this standard. Social Security is the most successful - and among the most efficient - poverty-reduction programs in history. Medicare costs per procedure are lower than private-sector medical costs, and the program provides healthcare that seniors won't be able to get in the free market except at exorbitant costs.

And unemployment insurance - as you describe above - prevents physics teachers or philosophers being stuck in ice-cream parlor jobs for their lives where they earn less than their talents merit and generate less wealth for the overall economy, and - as others have described - act as both a barrier to downward pressure on wages/salaries, and as a preventative measure for large-scale social unrest, both of which garner substantial additional benefits for the economy, including those at the top of it.

Of course, none of this matters to free-market fundamentalists like Obamacult, who think that simply repeating their already-debunked bunkum will make it true (see: his repeated citation of the very sources which dispute his argument as somehow "supporting" it), who believe that getting the last word in is synonymous with winning a debate (which is why I left the "Obama Recovery" thread, as it was clear that he would simply repeat himself again and again without bothering to even fairly read what I posted), and who start with a priori assumptions that don't line up with reality and which are never challenged within their reality bubble (see: Obamacult's assumption that people on unemployment benefits attach no moral, ethical or morale value to receiving an earned paycheck over a (also-earned, but less immediately so) payout).

Such people should not call themselves "conservatives", as there is nothing "conservative" about their attitudes or preferred policies. They are radical reactionaries, who would gladly take America back to the days when wealthy magnates boasted of being able to hire half of the working class to kill the other half, when less than half the country's population was literate, when being born poor meant, ninety-nine times out of a hundred, staying poor no matter how hard you worked.

I think the problem in their world view is actually a simple root one: They don't understand that all resources are public because all spending affects other spending.

It is the place of the state in a capitalist system to worry about private sector health care costs, because the money tied up in them is money that could be better spent in a myriad of other places. Private sector resources aren't somehow "different" from public sector resources; they're all a part of the total wealth of a society, and we all live in this society, so we need to make sure our wealth is being distributed in the best way possible. If that means correcting market inefficiencies, if that means removing a market altogether, if that means any action we can take, we should take it, because an economy is a system, and we need to be focused on finding the best system for everyone, not pretending there's nothing we can do to improve our society.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Grad Duchy of Luxembourg
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grad Duchy of Luxembourg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:30 am

Saiwania wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Let us all know how you feel when you lose your job and your roommates throw you out on a whim. See if you have the same opinion on "WELFURRR" when it's the only way for your kids to eat.

I get that not having a job sucks, but my view is that welfare isn't unlimited and can't be relied upon for every time you're unemployed. Otherwise, taxes will be too high and the disposable income which drives the economy would dry up and businesses will leave.

Just curious, why are you anti-free trade?
Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Member of Caninope Contingent

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:51 am

greed and death wrote:
Caninope wrote:For instance, Mitt Romney was unemployed on Nov. 5, 2012. He now just doesn't have a job. :p

Then he went back to making billions at Bain Capital.
Billions is so comforting, that and the power to fire thousands with the stroke of a pen.

But of course he cares!
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:53 am

greed and death wrote:
Caninope wrote:I knew that, NA. I was simply trying to make a joke.

Gosh.

You do not joke about the law with Neo Art.

What if you lace it with perversion?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Obamacult
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:54 am

Neo Art wrote: I mean, fundamentally, this is a discussion of two sides. I'm going to simplify things into "my side" and "obamacult's side" (which is of course untrue, he doesn't really have a side, he almost certainly doesn't believe any of this, and has no further interest in discussing this issue, and is, and has remained, nothing more than a troll of this forum, as evidenced by him already losing a nation for trolling in a very short period of time, and the fact that he's allowed to continue with such a flagrant agenda is really a fundamental failure in this site as of late, and is further reason for its further decline into the drain, but I digress, assuming, I'm sure quite incorrectly, that he believe a word of what he's saying. He doesn't, because he's trolling, but whatever).

Typical ad hominem -- Check

Neo Art wrote: We both, in the end, see an attempt at economic stability.

Typical misrepresentation of my position -- Check.

i.e. I don't advocate stability or instability -- I simply advocate allowing individual people to engage in peaceful transactions that don't have anything to do with me or you.

And in anticipation of your strawman -- No, I don't favor govt. using coercion to seize on some mythical public good or need that gives politicians the power to plunder fair gotten wealth to give to special interest voters or campaign contributors bribes from corrupt corporations (Wall Street, GM, big pharma, etc).

Neo Art wrote: My argument is, and always has been, that an unemployment insurance system is a necessary bargaining chip for the worker to prevent downward pressure on wages and positions.

By what moral authority do you or any other self-serving progressive assume the mantle of 'pay dictator'?

Is it because your progressive politician of choice is an astute politiciancon artist that he can garner a bare majority of registered voters that represent a minority of citizens so as to leverage this political power to plunder the fair gotten wealth of the 1%, 10% or 49% ?!

Mob rule with Obama as the brick thrower and 51% of registered voters as the looters ?

What happens after the party riot when the once beneficial store (US economy) has left town and with it the goods, services, and jobs ???

Neo Art wrote: If I know I can hold out, I, and everyone else in my skill bracket, can put pressure on the employer. No, we're not going to take a job as a doctor for 10 dollars an hour while we sit 150 grand in debt. We will not allow you to profit from our misfortune. We will hold out, we can afford it. Thats what I think SHOULD happen.

More power to you, and you are certainly entitled to form coalitions of like minded people who have the same goals -- that is the strength of America. However, when you enlist govt. politicians to do your bidding and gain what you couldn't otherwise secure in a peaceful, free and voluntary society instead using the heavy hand of govt. cronyism and patronage to get what you desire at the point of a gun.

Then this becomes an immoral criminal enterprise -- or for lack of a better definition -- rule by mob and threats.

Neo Art wrote: The other "side" of things sees the opposite effect of what's going on. That if a job is offered at $10 an hour, that's what the pay SHOULD BE, regardless of what it is.

Bullshit. The wage is only acceptable if someone voluntarily accepts it, otherwise it is too low. INdeed, you let emotions override what is obvious -- namely that wages are set in a free, voluntary and peaceful market between consenting adults based on myriad considerations, not the least of which is supply and demand.

In contrast, in the progressive world of mob rule by point of a gun -- pay is dictated in a wholly economically unrealistic and unsustainable system of whoyou can buy in Washington based on how many special interest votes and bribe money you bring to the table.

Neo Art wrote: That employer are merely agents of hte market, and allowing ANY ability for hte worker to reject that $10 an hour is harmful to the free market, not helpful.

This is a one-sided fantasy that neglects the essential free and voluntary role of the employee. Indeed, nobody is forced to work at wages that they feel are not representative of their skill or contribution. And similarly, no employer would stay in business for long in a competitive market of labor scarcity by under compensating talent that delivers productivity and profits.

Get off the Marxist class warfare fantasy train.

Neo Art wrote: That wages will set optimally, because that's what the free market will do, if we let it. Unemployment, however, by allowing a disproportionate influence to the worker, can allow them to disrupt free market equilibrium by letting the government prop up their non efficient demands.

If anything, govt. deprives free citizens of the ability to earn a decent wage and job by forcing possible employers to pay more for labor than is economically profitable. Hence, people that would gladly and voluntary work for these wages are essentially taxed 100% by govt. dictate and denied a job.

Moreover, much of the costs to consumers of goods and services come from labor costs. Hence, those labor coalitions or voting blocs that can bribe corrupt politicians with votes can force legislation that will artificially raise their wages above market realities thereby forcing consumers to pay more for goods and services then they would otherwise have to pay.

In sum, govt. provides the framework for this inflationary and distorted labor market that eventually leads to societal competitive and economic collapse

Neo Art wrote: . Unemployment, however, by allowing a disproportionate influence to the worker, can allow them to disrupt free market equilibrium by letting the government prop up their non efficient demands

Note the essence of progressive dogma, creating a disproportionate market by force .

This is called class warfare and it was proven a failure in the soviet union, eastern Europe, cuba, north korea, communist china, etc.

Didn’t Einstein have something to say about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result?

Neo Art wrote:
Now, of course, they see unemployment as creating an inequality towards the worker, I see it as equalizing and existing inequality tilted towards the business owner. Which one should any sane, rational, intelligent person believe?

Progressive dogma would dictate that a market in which coercion at gun point based on political cronyism or patronage would be the most preferable.

In contrast, I advocate a govt. that is not 'too big to fail' or corrupted and distracted by managementmismanagement of trillions of dollars in tax and regulatory power thousands of miles removed from societal problems with a 'one size-fits all solutions' to the detriment of what it does best – preserve and protect life, liberty, private property and impartially enforce legal contracts.

Neo Art wrote: Believe the one that admits that while the workers have an incentive to earn as much as possible, also accepts that the owner has the same incentive. And while the worker earns through high wages, the owner earns through low wages, and thus increased profit.

It is called equilibrium based on supply and demand and not who you can bribe or buy in Washington.

Neo Art wrote: Believe the one that admits that owners have every insentive to keep wages artificially low,

To the benefit of society and consumers by lowering costs and increasing productivity of which an absence of this, increased standards of living cannot be obtained.

Neo Art wrote: and that accepts that the premise that wages will be set at market equilibrium, even in periods of high unemployment, when owners have every insentive to force them to below fair market conditions, is fucking stupid.

No, it is not stupid to believe in market equilibrium --- it is something every 1st year economics student recognizes as truth even if you don’t.

Indeed, it is stupid to think that either owners or workers can force wages artificially up or down within a free market and remain solvent.

In sum, your rejection of economic realities in favor of mob rule by gun point to achieve your progressive utopia is what is ridiculous. Otherwise please explain the utter failure of command economies juxtaposed moderately capitalist societies:

N. Korea, S. Korea – E. Germany, W. Germany – China, Taiwan, etc.

Moreover, the supreme fallacy of your world view is the neglect or absence of the consumer in this equation. Indeed, the owner cannot realize his goals without first satisfying the consumer in a free, voluntary and competitive marketplace.

In contrast, govt. doesn’t need to satisfy anyone expect a bare majority of registered voters once every 2,4,or 6 years. And when we vote, we generally are forced to vote for the lesser of two or three evils, none of which passes legislation that we have any substantive input to or benefit directly from without some unintended costs. Also, the sad state of affairs that if this govt. fails to deliver on its promises, it has the excuse to plunder more private wealth with impunity. Indeed, govt. is an enduring and destructive monopoly that has no peer and thus is unaccountable.

With the free market, every ‘vote’ I make is voluntary and it generally always satisfies me or I don’t return to the vendor who subsequently loses market share. Moreover, if a vendor fails to satisfy consumer preferences, he will see his capital and influence quickly removed from the market to the benefit of society.

And if that fails, I can do what Edison, Bell, Ford, Gates, Zuckerman, et al have done throughout history -- I can compete or address needs that have gone unmet by risking my own capital.

Neo Art wrote: Believe the one that accepts that the rich already have influence and power, and to try and to limit a system designed to place some bargaining power back into the hands of hte non rich, because it is "unfair" is, again, fucking stupid.

The rich can only game the system by enlisting govt. to assist them. It is no surprise (at least to us libertarians) that as the economy has tanked and wages have stagnated that Wall Street and politicians have seen increases in net worth.

Indeed, the contradiction and paradox of this progressive nonsense is that they enlist govt. to protect them from free market abusers --- when in practice the big govt. framework they create actually assists and benefits the most corrupt businesses in society by making it easier for big businesses to bribe politicians.

Hence, progressives give Washington power to tax and regulate – corrupt private sector actors now know where their daddies are and come forth with bearing gifts and bribes.

IN contrast , the most feared words of these corrupt big businesses is NOT regulation --- it is COMPETITION.

Alas, that competition is not forthcoming because govt. over regulates industries of their favored campaign contributors bribes to the detriment of small start up competition that finds regulation and high taxes more difficult to overcome than large established firms.

And if you don't recognize that govt. regulators are always captured by those they are supposed to regulate -- then be gone with you -- you have not the independent thinking and objective mind to debate fruitfully.

Neo Art wrote:
In short, if you have trouble deciding who to believe, me or him, believe the one whose understanidng of ecnomics is better than that of a child.

And that ain't him

Sounds like a childish ad hominem to me.

But yes, read what I have just offered and compare to the coercive and corrupt dogma of progressivism.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:55 am

Mother fucker. I had a very nice long post written out just now. I wasn't going to shit post for once. And then the browser on my fucking iPad crashed, so I'm posting this out of complete frustration.

TL;WR (Too Long; Won't rewrite) Obamacult is stuck in a situation that he refuses to accept because his sources disprove him without us needin to.
password scrambled

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 am

Condunum wrote:Mother fucker. I had a very nice long post written out just now. I wasn't going to shit post for once. And then the browser on my fucking iPad crashed, so I'm posting this out of complete frustration.

TL;WR (Too Long; Won't rewrite) Obamacult is stuck in a situation that he refuses to accept because his sources disprove him without us needin to.

I mean, when he's reduced to scream "well who died and MADE YOU KING?" there's nothing left.

pack it up, show's over.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 am

Saiwania wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Let us all know how you feel when you lose your job and your roommates throw you out on a whim. See if you have the same opinion on "WELFURRR" when it's the only way for your kids to eat.

I get that not having a job sucks, but my view is that welfare isn't unlimited and can't be relied upon for every time you're unemployed. Otherwise, taxes will be too high and the disposable income which drives the economy would dry up and businesses will leave.

Do you know how much was spent on unemployment benefits in the USA in fiscal 2011?

$125 billion.

Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? In the context of the total governmental spending of the USA - $6.1 trillion in 2011 - it's not so much. And this pattern is replicated elsewhere: out of a total Commonwealth+States budget of nearly $500 billion, Australia spent about $25 billion on unemployment assistance (apologies for lack of sources, but specific figures are rather hard to come by in Australia - we don't have so dedicated a commentariat picking apart every page of the Budget papers).

If you're worried about unemployment benefits driving higher tax rates, don't be - they're a tiny fraction of the budget. The biggest driver in increased spending is military spending boosts, closely followed by Medicare spending (in the USA). If you want to keep tax rates down, start feeding the military-industrial complex less money and look for ways to make Medicare even more efficient (it's already between 12% and 35% more efficient on a per-procedure basis than the private sector). One way to go about this would be to get rid of Medicare Advantage and Medicare D, both of which cost the government ridiculously more money per patient than Medicare for no extra benefit.
Last edited by New Chalcedon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Grad Duchy of Luxembourg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Grad Duchy of Luxembourg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:58 am

Obamacult wrote:-snip-

Hey what do you do for a living?

Obamacult
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:58 am

Condunum wrote:Mother fucker. I had a very nice long post written out just now. I wasn't going to shit post for once. And then the browser on my fucking iPad crashed, so I'm posting this out of complete frustration.

Rewrite dude or ride off into the sunset of bullshit posts and ideologies.

Obamacult
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Neo Art wrote:

I mean, when he's reduced to scream "well who died and MADE YOU KING?" there's nothing left.

pack it up, show's over.

You issued bullshit.

I dispatch it with this post:

viewtopic.php?p=13430873#p13430873

And predictably, you pack it up, show's over.

Some things never change.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Obamacult wrote:

I'd rather just let the person who knows what he's talking about (Neo Art) do that. And I think I'll just take his advice on this one.

In fact, I'm putting you back on my ignore list. This thread alone proves you've nothing but rhetoric.
password scrambled

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Obamacult wrote:

I'd like to see you respond to this post, please.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Obamacult
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Grad Duchy of Luxembourg wrote:
Obamacult wrote:-snip-

Hey what do you do for a living?

What is it?

Ad hominem time since the morality, facts, logic and empirical research of the libertarian position is unassailable?

What difference does it make what I do?

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Obamacult wrote:
Neo Art wrote:

pack it up, show's over.

You issued bullshit.

There's just nothing there that I can find that isn't rhetoric.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Obamacult
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Condunum wrote:
Obamacult wrote:

I'd rather just let the person who knows what he's talking about (Neo Art) do that. And I think I'll just take his advice on this one.

In fact, I'm putting you back on my ignore list. This thread alone proves you've nothing but rhetoric.

I responded to Neoart's bullshit ideology of jealousy and envy with the following:

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Caninope wrote:
Obamacult wrote:

I'd like to see you respond to this post, please.

Really? You expect him to respond to something without cherry picking, miscategorizing, and getting marching orders from right wing hate sites?

You ask too much.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

Obamacult wrote:
Grad Duchy of Luxembourg wrote:Hey what do you do for a living?

What is it?

Ad hominem time since the morality, facts, logic and empirical research of the libertarian position is unassailable?

Asking you what your job is wouldn't actually be an ad hominem fallacy.
I identify as
a problem

Grad Duchy of Luxembourg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Grad Duchy of Luxembourg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Obamacult wrote:

What is it?

Sheesh. Chill out. Just curious, we were talking about our jobs earlier among ourselves.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Obamacult wrote:
What is it?

Asking you what your job is wouldn't actually be an ad hominem fallacy.

It would be an amazing job that simply by stating what it is, you are taking part in an ad hominem attack against yourself.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Obamacult wrote:This is a one-sided fantasy that neglects the essential free and voluntary role of the employee. Indeed, nobody is forced to work at wages that they feel are not representative of their skill or contribution.

Sure...I mean, as long as there is some means of temporary support that allows them to continue to look for better employment...a kind of insurance for their period of unemployment.

If only we knew what to call that...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Of the Free Socialist Territories
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Of the Free Socialist Territories » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Obamacult wrote:

What is it?

The way you're using the phrase "ad hominem" suggests that you don't know what it is.

Anyway what does it matter what I do?

Because Neo is an expert in his field. You aren't.
Last edited by Of the Free Socialist Territories on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be deceived when our Revolution has finally been stamped out and they tell you things are better now even if there's no poverty to see, because the poverty's been hidden...even if you ever got more wages and could afford to buy more of these new and useless goods which these new industries foist on you, and even if it seems to you that "you never had so much" - that is only the slogan of those who have much more than you.

Marat, "Marat/Sade"

Obamacult
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Obamacult wrote:

You issued bullshit.

There's just nothing there that I can find that isn't rhetoric.

It is no more rhetorical than the progressive nonsense that I responded to.

The only difference is that my rhetoric is backed by logic. Indeed, see my signature for the raw data, facts and empirical research that supports the logic.

In fact, if empirical research and peer reviewed findings are what you desire -- no progressive has provided more on these forums than me.

INdeed, the only data or research that progressives provide have been leftwing commentary from Krugman and the like.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Obamacult wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:There's just nothing there that I can find that isn't rhetoric.

It is no more rhetorical than the progressive nonsense that I responded to.

The only difference is that my rhetoric is backed by logic. Indeed, see my signature for the raw data, facts and empirical research that supports the logic.

In fact, if empirical research and peer reviewed findings are what you desire -- no progressive has provided more on these forums than me.

INdeed, the only data or research that progressives provide have been leftwing commentary from Krugman and the like.

Please respond to this.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Neo Art wrote:I mean, when he's reduced to scream "well who died and MADE YOU KING?" there's nothing left.

pack it up, show's over.

Obamacult wrote:You issued bullshit.

Obamacult wrote:By what moral authority do you or any other self-serving progressive assume the mantle of 'pay dictator'?

*snort*
Last edited by Neo Art on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General