NATION

PASSWORD

Atheists and Agnostics at Christmas/Easter

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

How do you(Atheists and Agnostics) celebrate holidays

Don't celebrate
14%
Like Christians
24%
Without religious symbols
50%
Other(specify)
12%

Total votes : 140

Cerod
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Atheists and Agnostics at Christmas/Easter

Postby Cerod » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:17 pm

I was wondering how exactly atheists and agnostics celebrate religious themed holidays such as Christmas or Easter, do you eat turkey, use Christmas trees or sing carols at Christmas? Do you even celebrate Christmas and if so, how? Do you celebrate Easter, and if so how? Do you wish people merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

I cannot answer this as I am a Catholic and celebrate it with mass, turkey, trees, cards etc. etc.
Last edited by Cerod on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Founder of Green Isles]

Name:The Hibernian Empire of Cerod
Leader: Michael Martin
National Ideology: Democratic left
Main Race: Aryan
Delegacies held: 5
Founderships held: 9
Use of Nuclear Weapons? Assured.
My nation's ideology, is my ideology
Peacetime readiness
LOLOLOLIn response to what he does at Christmas
Desperate Measures wrote:Decapitating squirrels and screaming at traffic, respectively.
Unsuccessful Raids: Sierra.Luna.Terradem

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:21 pm

The same way Christians celebrate Pagan holidays.
Spend time with family and eat good food.
Last edited by Genivaria on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:22 pm

I celebrate Christmas and Easter both, due to the fact that I always have. But I do so largely in a secular manner, save perhaps for visits to my family church as part of the days events. I have friends in the congregation, so it's more of a friendly duty.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:26 pm

We celebrate them in a secular, commercial manner. Easter is a chocolate festival. Christmas is almost entirely about gifts, roast chickens and Mariah Carey's Christmas albums.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Meowfoundland wrote:We celebrate them in a secular, commercial manner. Easter is a chocolate festival. Christmas is almost entirely about gifts, roast chickens and Mariah Carey's Christmas albums.

This.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Screensaver
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Screensaver » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:27 pm

I don't celebrate Easter but I do celebrate christmas but in a secular manner. I don't allow carolers on my property and I certainly don't do any church related shit. I also spend christmas with my friends instead of my family. I still give and receive gifts though.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Cerod wrote:I was wondering how exactly atheists and agnostics celebrate religious themed holidays such as Christmas or Easter, do you eat turkey, use Christmas trees or sing carols at Christmas? Do you even celebrate Christmas and if so, how? Do you celebrate Easter, and if so how? Do you wish people merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

I cannot answer this as I am a Catholic and celebrate it with mass, turkey, trees, cards etc. etc.

What is it with Christians having a hard time thinking that non-Christians are human beings?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Same as everyone else. I even attend church on Christmas Eve.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Sedikal
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sedikal » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Meowfoundland wrote:We celebrate them in a secular, commercial manner. Easter is a chocolate festival. Christmas is almost entirely about gifts, roast chickens and Mariah Carey's Christmas albums.

Yeah pretty much this. Cultural Christianity as some put it.
Nice Little Quotes
“Kindness is the golden chain by which society is bound together.”
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Yet human intelligence has another force, too: the sense of urgency that gives human smarts their drive. Perhaps our intelligence is not just ended by our mortality; to a great degree, it is our mortality.
-Adam Gopnik

Fighting for peace, is like fucking for chastity
-Stephen King

Proud Member of the New Democrats in the NSG Senate
Political Compass of Sedikal
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS!

Turchynov/Yatsenyuk
Russia Out Of Crimea

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Meowfoundland wrote:*snip* and Mariah Carey's Christmas albums.

Oh. You are a satanist.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Norstal wrote:
Cerod wrote:I was wondering how exactly atheists and agnostics celebrate religious themed holidays such as Christmas or Easter, do you eat turkey, use Christmas trees or sing carols at Christmas? Do you even celebrate Christmas and if so, how? Do you celebrate Easter, and if so how? Do you wish people merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

What is it with Christians having a hard time thinking that non-Christians are human beings?

Because they only invent the holidays you heathen!
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Italy votes wrong
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Italy votes wrong » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Norstal wrote:

Where was that implied?
If Italy and the US had a baby it would be Jabba the Hutt.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Decapitating squirrels and screaming at traffic, respectively.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:41 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Meowfoundland wrote:*snip* and Mariah Carey's Christmas albums.

Oh. You are a satanist.

All I want for Christmas is... your soul.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:Decapitating squirrels and screaming at traffic, respectively.

That's horrible. Why would you scream at traffic? What have those motorists ever done to you?

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Napkiraly wrote:

That's horrible. Why would you scream at traffic? What have those motorists ever done to you?

They keep running over my Christmas squirrels!
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:49 pm

As an atheist, celebrating religious holidays is against my religion.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:That's horrible. Why would you scream at traffic? What have those motorists ever done to you?

They keep running over my Christmas squirrels!

Well now that's understandable. I'd do the same.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:52 pm

You know all that tangential shit that hangs around those holidays that seem to have nothing at all to do with the birth or execution of a savior, like jolly old men delivering presents or bunnies that hide eggs?

That stuff.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Duvniask
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Duvniask » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:

This.

Also this. Except I eat roasted pork.

Atnae
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Atnae » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Personally, I just consider Christmas to be the Christian version of the winter solstice festival, considering it has more to do with that than the birth of a doctor.
FRP, FRP and a bit more FRP
(futureRP, fantasyRP and freakyRP)

Elmo Logic
Envoy

Founded: Nov 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Elmo Logic » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Christmas: with presents, food and drink.
Easter: Nothing
Pesach: cinnamon balls and coconut pyramids

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:11 pm

I celebrate Easter like my ancestors did in Europe... by hiding in our attic for 24 hours.

As well as not eating any 'leavened bread' just the thought of 'leavened bread' makes me sick.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Bara Ninja
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bara Ninja » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:24 pm

What does turkey or Christmas trees have to do with Christianity?

Turkey isn't really Christmas food in my country, regardless of religion.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:25 pm

The same as Christians.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General