NATION

PASSWORD

Future of the United States of America

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 am

Yue-Laou wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:How is that going to destroy America? I don't believe there are hordes waiting to invade us.

It will reduce americas ability to fulfill their role as the worlds police.

The nukes do that for us... not many countries with more nuclear weapons you see.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

America in the image of levi
Civilian

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby America in the image of levi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:21 am

Nuclear war... With North Korea

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:21 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And that's endeared us to so many people, hasn't it?

It's a shame that Teddy Roosevelt made a mess of our own foreign policy.

That and two world wars and Korea ... it's a vicious circle.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:21 am

America in the image of levi wrote:Nuclear war... With North Korea

That's a bloody short nuclear war right there.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Meinkraft
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Meinkraft » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:22 am

Arglorand wrote:

Sig thread now.
Last edited by Kirby Delauter on Wed, Jan 7, 2015 2:00 am, edited Delauter times in total.

ANTIFA!

Soldier wrote:And then he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth. And then he hearded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one!
Alert Level:
5- At Peace
4- Raid Watch
3- At War
2- Nuclear War
1- Taking of the Capital
I'm Pan. Deal with it.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:23 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Olivaero wrote:Not Oakland but how about DC? or anywhere Officials of the central government are residing? Large population centres... etc. Anywhere that will get them noticed and their point across really. And staying in Texas will not do that.

Oakland? They'd really catch hell if they started bombing mailboxes there. Homie don't like the cracker-man much now, he's gonna hate his ass a lot more when Grams gets a face full of shrapnel.

Also, I think you're misunderstanding something. The US would lock down the border with Texas pretty quickly. Crossings wouldn't happen as often as they did during The Troubles, *anyone* showing a Texas State ID would be suspect, arrested, or deported. This is a wartime process, and a wartime footing. We wouldn't be playing with the kid gloves on this.

How big is the Texas border again? my understanding is it was *very* big. The UK didn't play with "kids gloves" with the IRA either, they still got a Bomb into Maggie Thatchers hotel, and lets not forget the US has very little experience in fighting domestic terrorists, these draconian measures are just likely to give them more support both in Texas and without.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:23 am

Arglorand wrote:

One sided, really. North Korea launches, the rocket fails, nukes itself, China sighs and closes its eyes, South Korea walks in with full Rad Gear on and saves who they can.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:25 am

Olivaero wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Oakland? They'd really catch hell if they started bombing mailboxes there. Homie don't like the cracker-man much now, he's gonna hate his ass a lot more when Grams gets a face full of shrapnel.

Also, I think you're misunderstanding something. The US would lock down the border with Texas pretty quickly. Crossings wouldn't happen as often as they did during The Troubles, *anyone* showing a Texas State ID would be suspect, arrested, or deported. This is a wartime process, and a wartime footing. We wouldn't be playing with the kid gloves on this.

How big is the Texas border again? my understanding is it was *very* big. The UK didn't play with "kids gloves" with the IRA either, they still got a Bomb into Maggie Thatchers hotel, and lets not forget the US has very little experience in fighting domestic terrorists, these draconian measures are just likely to give them more support both in Texas and without.

Not really, considering our PR machine. See, the US has more "friends" than Texas does, because a LOT of people don't like their attitude, or their condescension.

Also, I would not compare the US military with the UK military in terms of containment. Even during the Cold War era, the US had at least three times the military the UK did. Locking the border down with Mexico is always part of war planning for a home engagement, Texas' border < Mexico's border.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:25 am

Farnhamia wrote:That and two world wars and Korea ... it's a vicious circle.

For one of them, you didn't really have a choice.

Yue-Laou
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yue-Laou » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Yue-Laou wrote:It will reduce americas ability to fulfill their role as the worlds police.

And that's endeared us to so many people, hasn't it?

I know it's a tough burden but the world needs america, no one else can replace the US. If you think the world doesn't need to be policed you're sadly mistaken.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That and two world wars and Korea ... it's a vicious circle.

For one of them, you didn't really have a choice.

As in they were sinking American merchant ships which were neutral.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

Yue-Laou wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And that's endeared us to so many people, hasn't it?

I know it's a tough burden but the world needs america, no one else can replace the US. If you think the world doesn't need to be policed you're sadly mistaken.

Thanks, I'll let myself and the rest of the world know we can't be entrusted to run our own lives.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

Arglorand wrote:
Yue-Laou wrote:I know it's a tough burden but the world needs america, no one else can replace the US. If you think the world doesn't need to be policed you're sadly mistaken.

Thanks, I'll let myself and the rest of the world know we can't be entrusted to run our own lives.

Have you SEEN the World Cup lately? Seriously, we couldn't fuck it up more if we tried.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am

The Serbian Empire wrote:As in they were sinking American merchant ships which were neutral.

I actually had the other one in mind, but I thought of the possibility.

It's not like America would do nothing after Pearl Harbor.
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:37 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Olivaero wrote:How big is the Texas border again? my understanding is it was *very* big. The UK didn't play with "kids gloves" with the IRA either, they still got a Bomb into Maggie Thatchers hotel, and lets not forget the US has very little experience in fighting domestic terrorists, these draconian measures are just likely to give them more support both in Texas and without.

Not really, considering our PR machine. See, the US has more "friends" than Texas does, because a LOT of people don't like their attitude, or their condescension.

Also, I would not compare the US military with the UK military in terms of containment. Even during the Cold War era, the US had at least three times the military the UK did. Locking the border down with Mexico is always part of war planning for a home engagement, Texas' border < Mexico's border.

How much of that military will be sympathetic to Texas's plight eh? Secession is often touted in America among one particular wing of the political spectrum which is why I'm unsure how the US's great PR skills will be able to convince the rest of the country that Texas is in the wrong. I mean look at the opinions of the Iraq/Afghan wars and they are overseas against a bunch of Muslims. Also How many friends do you think the US has when it comes to independence movements? I mean sure you can count on the establishment in most countries tactic support but international opinion will be if possible even more unfriendly to the US than it is now, especially after the US's very vocal support for independence movements else where....

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:39 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
The Serbian Empire wrote:As in they were sinking American merchant ships which were neutral.

I actually had the other one in mind, but I thought of the possibility.

It's not like America would do nothing after Pearl Harbor.

Without the first one, there is no second World War.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:39 am

Olivaero wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Not really, considering our PR machine. See, the US has more "friends" than Texas does, because a LOT of people don't like their attitude, or their condescension.

How much of that military will be sympathetic to Texas's plight eh? Secession is often touted in America among one particular wing of the political spectrum which is why I'm unsure how the US's great PR skills will be able to convince the rest of the country that Texas is in the wrong. I mean look at the opinions of the Iraq/Afghan wars and they are overseas against a bunch of Muslims. Also How many friends do you think the US has when it comes to independence movements? I mean sure you can count on the establishment in most countries tactic support but international opinion will be if possible even more unfriendly to the US than it is now, especially after the US's very vocal support for independence movements else where....

I don't support independence movements when they are not established by clear democratic mandate of the people, and this hypothetical scenario clearly outlines a group of violent revolutionaries. Probably not at all representative of Texans, either.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 am

Olivaero wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Not really, considering our PR machine. See, the US has more "friends" than Texas does, because a LOT of people don't like their attitude, or their condescension.

Not very much of it. I've served in the US Military, and while there are people from Texas in the military, most of us tend to find reasons to be particularly un-gentle with the football during games with them.

Also, a large portion of the secessionist movement lacks a serious understanding of asymmetrical warfare. The US has spent the last decade learning it.

Europe, portions of Latin America, Canada, China, Russia, SE Asia, and Africa are all going to ignore the gun-happy Right Wing Derptopia that is Texas and focus on assisting the US, because a stable US is a good thing for the global economy.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:41 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Right Wing Derptopia

Must be a new nation category, like, fast.

Betrothed to a Beetroot
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Betrothed to a Beetroot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:04 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Texas' border < Mexico's border.

Not by much. Discount the sea border of Texas because the Navy could handle that easily. But don't discount the Texas/Mexico border if you mean to blockade Texas. That would be like pretending there is no Cambodia when fighting in Vietnam, or pretending there is no Pakistan when fighting in Afghanistan. Mexico might let the US enforce the border Mexico/Texas for a price, but don't pretend they'd do it themselves for nothing.

Er, I should probably avoid such military strategy talk because it isn't my forte. My point is that the land borders of Texas are actually longer than the Mexico/US land border.

My source? Looking at a map.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:05 pm

Betrothed to a Beetroot wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Texas' border < Mexico's border.

Not by much. Discount the sea border of Texas because the Navy could handle that easily. But don't discount the Texas/Mexico border if you mean to blockade Texas. That would be like pretending there is no Cambodia when fighting in Vietnam, or pretending there is no Pakistan when fighting in Afghanistan. Mexico might let the US enforce the border Mexico/Texas for a price, but don't pretend they'd do it themselves for nothing.

Er, I should probably avoid such military strategy talk because it isn't my forte. My point is that the land borders of Texas are actually longer than the Mexico/US land border.

Why would we need to stop Texans from crossing into Mexico? If they want to bother the Mexicans, I'm sure Los Zetas would be happy to slice up some gringos.

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:06 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Olivaero wrote:How much of that military will be sympathetic to Texas's plight eh? Secession is often touted in America among one particular wing of the political spectrum which is why I'm unsure how the US's great PR skills will be able to convince the rest of the country that Texas is in the wrong. I mean look at the opinions of the Iraq/Afghan wars and they are overseas against a bunch of Muslims. Also How many friends do you think the US has when it comes to independence movements? I mean sure you can count on the establishment in most countries tactic support but international opinion will be if possible even more unfriendly to the US than it is now, especially after the US's very vocal support for independence movements else where....

Not very much of it. I've served in the US Military, and while there are people from Texas in the military, most of us tend to find reasons to be particularly un-gentle with the football during games with them.

Also, a large portion of the secessionist movement lacks a serious understanding of asymmetrical warfare. The US has spent the last decade learning it.

Europe, portions of Latin America, Canada, China, Russia, SE Asia, and Africa are all going to ignore the gun-happy Right Wing Derptopia that is Texas and focus on assisting the US, because a stable US is a good thing for the global economy.

Learning but not improving I think. I mean the British have had at least 150 years of combating various independent movements but they still didn't deal too well with one so close to home (NI) And I doubt the political leanings of the Texan movement will really matter Self determination is the thing most people look for in independence movements and if the US is remiss about giving the people of Texas a referndum international opinion will turn against them.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Olivaero wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Not very much of it. I've served in the US Military, and while there are people from Texas in the military, most of us tend to find reasons to be particularly un-gentle with the football during games with them.

Learning but not improving I think. I mean the British have had at least 150 years of combating various independent movements but they still didn't deal too well with one so close to home (NI) And I doubt the political leanings of the Texan movement will really matter Self determination is the thing most people look for in independence movements and if the US is remiss about giving the people of Texas a referndum international opinion will turn against them.

The IC isn't going to back a violent secessionist state with an established member of the IC as one of the belligerents. It is, quite literally, not in their best interest. Because that means that if, say, Guang Dong decides that "Fuck China" is a good idea, other countries can just pile in and eat a large chunk of China. At *best* you are looking at inaction on their part. At worst, if your Texas, you're looking at no trade partners and a maritime force that is constantly harassed by "pirates".

Rico the Explorer
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rico the Explorer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:12 pm

I predict another war in Korea soon for the US.

May God protect North Korea's citizens.

http://rt.com/news/north-korea-cuts-hotline-070/
Death is what makes us all equal

Betrothed to a Beetroot
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Betrothed to a Beetroot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:24 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Betrothed to a Beetroot wrote:

Why would we need to stop Texans from crossing into Mexico? If they want to bother the Mexicans, I'm sure Los Zetas would be happy to slice up some gringos.

Los Zetas are mainly active in the south I thought. But anyway, they'll do whatever pays best. Expecting a poorer neighbouring country to help enforce a blockade, when the prices the blockaded country will pay to beat that blockade are inflated way above standard commodity prices, absolutely does not work. It didn't work for Cambodia, or I must add for Iraq when the international coalition tried to impose an oil export embargo on them. It hasn't worked well on the Afghanistan/Pakistan border.

I'll give you the sea border (not all states have one) but really don't see how you can so easily dismiss the land border with Mexico. You'd still have to enforce the Arizona/Mexico border like it was a border with Texas because they'd get a Ho Chi Min Trail thing happening there.

And after all, from my quantative and object source* I can still say that Texas's border with other US states is not much shorter than the US/Mexico border if it's shorter at all.

*looking at a map

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General