NATION

PASSWORD

The Future of Libertarianism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:39 am

Bottle wrote:Can we get some specifics on how "libertarians" in the USA differ significantly from the GOP?

They're not beholden to nutjobs and are significantly more consistent with their support for a free-market economy, while the GOP is beholden to religious nutjobs and generally supports an economy based upon rent-seeking.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Sand men
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sand men » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:40 am

Llibertarianism>gop Libertarianism are 50% right. :roll:

Kavanian States
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kavanian States » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:51 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:Skyrim.

Skyrim belongs to the Nords, not to the Libertarians.

Nay, Skyrim belongs to the Emperor!
"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" Mark Twain.
(\__/)
( O.o)
(> < ) This is Bunny. Please help Bunny reach global domination by copying this message and pasting it to your own signature. Thank you!

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Russia deploys ten regiments of bb´s - BOOM BUNNIES - Yes you read right. fu***** boom bunnies.-The Jonathanian States

Yue-Laou
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yue-Laou » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:35 am

It's gonna be like with those ex-Kelly Family fans. It's a little embarrassing that you once were one but it's also kind funny.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:50 am

Bottle wrote:Can we get some specifics on how "libertarians" in the USA differ significantly from the GOP?

They don't particularly care if you smoke pot.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

America Resurgent
Envoy

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby America Resurgent » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 am

Zweite Alaje wrote:
Luveria wrote:Republicans being vote split with Libertarians is a great thing.

No, it isn't. It will be bad for the Dems to go unchallenged, we need a strong GOP.

It will also continue to be bad for the political status quo to go unchallenged, and I think that the libertarians have what are at least a few good ideas, especially when compared to the Republican Party.
America if it didn't get involved in Word War I. And the Marxist ideal of violent revolution was carried out more heavily. And Hoover was assassinated. And loads of other things that eventually lead to fascism.
(But no, not a fascist)
Galloism wrote:What an awful and sick disregard for human life.
Why can't they play call of duty or grand theft auto like normal people?

America Resurgent
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby America Resurgent » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:08 am

Xsyne wrote:

They don't particularly care if you smoke pot.

Which is actually a pretty big deal, given how many people are in jail for things like that, and how much money taxed marijuana could bring in.
America if it didn't get involved in Word War I. And the Marxist ideal of violent revolution was carried out more heavily. And Hoover was assassinated. And loads of other things that eventually lead to fascism.
(But no, not a fascist)

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:09 am

Libertarianism has no future. As soon as this generation that believes so whole-heartedly in libertarianism grows up, the civil freedoms libertarians will become democrats and the economic libertarians will become republicans.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:10 am

America Resurgent wrote:
Xsyne wrote:They don't particularly care if you smoke pot.

Which is actually a pretty big deal, given how many people are in jail for things like that, and how much money taxed marijuana could bring in.

Yeah, but libertarians are also anti-tax, so you wouldn't end up with the tax money from it.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:14 am

Tubbsalot wrote:I'm sure there're some libertarians in the US who aren't totally ridiculous.

Lolwut
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

America Resurgent
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby America Resurgent » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:14 am

Frisivisia wrote:Yeah, but libertarians are also anti-tax, so you wouldn't end up with the tax money from it.

Enh, it depends on a hell of a lot of variables, I think.

Even with lower taxes, if more people are paying them in more instances, you still might be getting more money.
(But no, not a fascist)

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote:I'm sure there're some libertarians in the US who aren't totally ridiculous.

Lolwut

Odds are there's at least one left-libertarian in the US. Somewhere.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:16 am

Frisivisia wrote:
America Resurgent wrote:

Yeah, but libertarians are also anti-tax, so you wouldn't end up with the tax money from it.

"Guys, we could totally bring in so much revenue from marijuana! Vote for me!"

"Woah, he seems cool!"

"Oh, and DOWN WITH THE EVIL GOVERNMENT!"

"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:16 am

Xsyne wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Lolwut

Impossible. Stop speaking nonsense.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:17 am

America Resurgent wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Yeah, but libertarians are also anti-tax, so you wouldn't end up with the tax money from it.

Enh, it depends on a hell of a lot of variables, I think.

Even with lower taxes, if more people are paying them in more instances, you still might be getting more money.

Libertarians want legalization, but no taxation or regulation, that's how libertarians work.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:18 am

Xsyne wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Lolwut

left-libertarian =/= libertarian

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:18 am

Adopting libertarianism does not mean rejecting social conservatism. Libertarianism calls for a smaller government and less government intervention in people's lives. One can be socially conservative (or even reactionary) and still call for a small, inobtrusive government.
In any case, libertarianism is growing in the United States, and holds promise to eventually become a major party. I have observed more traditionalists align themselves with libertarianism as well. Hopefully, the libertarian party will surpass the republican party some day.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:19 am

Nidaria wrote:Adopting libertarianism does not mean rejecting social conservatism. Libertarianism calls for a smaller government and less government intervention in people's lives. One can be socially conservative (or even reactionary) and still call for a small, inobtrusive government.
In any case, libertarianism is growing in the United States, and holds promise to eventually become a major party. I have observed more traditionalists align themselves with libertarianism as well. Hopefully, the libertarian party will surpass the republican party some day.

I don't want to interfere in your life, but gays, no marrying, let's put creationism in the classroom, and abortion, no way.

Small and inobtrusive my ass.

Ew, that sounded a bit odd.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:20 am

Nidaria wrote: One can be socially conservative (or even reactionary) and still call for a small, inobtrusive government.

Ah yes. Because in ConservativeLand (tm), invasive ultrasounds, ignoring freedom of religion, destroying bodily sovereignty, etc. is "smaller government."
Nidaria wrote:In any case, libertarianism is growing in the United States, and holds promise to eventually become a major party. I have observed more traditionalists align themselves with libertarianism as well. Hopefully, the libertarian party will surpass the republican party some day.

I lol'd.

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:24 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Nidaria wrote:Adopting libertarianism does not mean rejecting social conservatism. Libertarianism calls for a smaller government and less government intervention in people's lives. One can be socially conservative (or even reactionary) and still call for a small, inobtrusive government.

I don't want to interfere in your life, but gays, no marrying, let's put creationism in the classroom, and abortion, no way.

Small and inobtrusive my ***.

Ew, that sounded a bit odd.

I have answered those accusations before. First of all, libertarians want to take authority over marriage from the government (which has no right to such authority in the first place) and have marriage managed solely by the Church. In addition, libertarians do not particularly care what schools decide to teach, as it is their decision and not that of the government. Libertarians (at least right-libertarians) do oppose abortion, as they view any act which maliciously causes harm to another as a crime. I hope I cleared that up for you.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25 am

Nidaria wrote:I have answered those accusations before. First of all, libertarians want to take authority over marriage from the government (which has no right to such authority in the first place) and have marriage managed solely by the Church. In addition, libertarians do not particularly care what schools decide to teach, as it is their decision and not that of the government. Libertarians (at least right-libertarians) do oppose abortion, as they view any act which maliciously causes harm to another as a crime. I hope I cleared that up for you.

Some people just want to watch the world burn. Cue parallel with Nero when Rome burned.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:25 am

They are economic Republicans without the socially conservative beliefs. Things such as gay marriage, abortion, and marijuana, they are more likely to be pro choice or liberal on while maintaining support for the right wing platform on economics.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

America Resurgent
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby America Resurgent » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:27 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Libertarians want legalization, but no taxation or regulation, that's how libertarians work.

True, but it's at least possible that they might compromise in a legalization type of scenario.

Or even that, after marijuana's become entrenched in society in a legal fashion, the democrats or equivalent regain control and decide that hey, maybe it should be taxed.
(But no, not a fascist)

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:28 am

Nidaria wrote:I have answered those accusations before. First of all, libertarians want to take authority over marriage from the government (which has no right to such authority in the first place) and have marriage managed solely by the Church.

And now you've basically confirmed that libertarianism won't ever catch on in mainstream America.
Nidaria wrote:In addition, libertarians do not particularly care what schools decide to teach, as it is their decision and not that of the government.

Here as well.
Nidaria wrote:Libertarians (at least right-libertarians) do oppose abortion, as they view any act which maliciously causes harm to another as a crime. I hope I cleared that up for you.

And here as well.

Good to know Democrats will rule for generations to come if your solution is a Libertarian Party that holds these hilarious beliefs.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mexicanada
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mexicanada » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 am

Regnum Dominae wrote:Libertarianism is growing, as seen in the last election where the Libertarian party reached 1% for the first time*. Many young people are adopting libertarian ideals, and almost all are rejecting social conservatism. I think that in 20 or 30 years, the Libertarians will either have replaced the Republicans, or the Republicans will have essentially become libertarians.
I would not be surprised if, within the next 50 years, we have a Libertarian president.

Your thoughts?

*I know, 1% is small, but in our corporate/union/lobbyist/special-interest controlled government that is a significant achievement.

i believe that, one day, the Republican party and Libertarian party will merge, as Republicans have started to take a strong stance against big government.
Political Compass: (OOC)
Left/Right 5.52
Libertarian/Authoritarian 1.23
IC:
All hail the mighty Chespin.
Short military description.

Religious: I consider myself an Agnostic Christian, if that makes any sense. I've been asked too many times to explain, so if you ask, I won't explain.
Economy: I am a firm supporter of capitalism and economic libertarianism.
General: I enjoy a good, intelligent debate, but I can get pretty heated on some subjects.
I've been away for a few months, and I'm trying to get back into the community so bear with me hahaha

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General