NATION

PASSWORD

Where are the Reparations

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe Afro americans deserve reparations

Yes they have been wronged over the years and they deserve more than an apology
8%
No cause it will serve no purpose or do no right
83%
Other(Plz explain)
9%

Total votes : 214

Sitspot
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 03, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Sitspot » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 am

Jello Biafra wrote:They are valid, how else do you determine who deserves reparations and who pays for them... Otherwise your idea isn't reparations...
You determine who pays for them by looking at the perpetrator of the wrong - the Federal government.
Who determine who deserves them by looking at who has been harmed by the polices of the Federal government , either by the institution of slavery, or more to the point, the subsequent legal policies that harmed blacks.

And there is a format available to anyone who feels they have been harmed. They can take their case to court. This is how reparation should be pursued. There is no reason to single out one group for special treatment as this avenue is open to all who think they have been wronged in any way.
Last edited by Sitspot on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost of Ayn Rand wrote: Ivy League guys stick together like the pages in Glenn Beck's copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:18 am

Kashindahar wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:
Tekania wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:
Tekania wrote:Questions:
1. What if you are the decendent of a Black Slave-owner....
2. What if you have both slaves owners and slaves in your ancestry?

Both of these questions focus on the wrong subject. Slave owners are not the issue.

They are valid, how else do you determine who deserves reparations and who pays for them... Otherwise your idea isn't reparations...

You determine who pays for them by looking at the perpetrator of the wrong - the Federal government.

I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the idea that blacks have been treated kind of shittily throughout history, but the government didn't force anyone to own slaves, and thus it wasn't the perpetrator.

The government allowed it. The government did not recognize the rights of those enslaved. It did not consider them citizens long after slavery ended. It allowed for white people to kill black people with impugnity, to steal their land, to rape and pillage. It was systemic. That system was the government. It was promoted by, endorsed by and perpetuated by the government.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:18 am

Kashindahar wrote:I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the idea that blacks have been treated kind of shittily throughout history, but the government didn't force anyone to own slaves, and thus it wasn't the perpetrator.

the government both used slave labor and enforced laws that created and maintained slavery

anyways, how 'bout them jim crow era government approved thefts and murders?

Zandan
Envoy

Founded: Jul 08, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zandan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 am

Jocabia wrote:
Kashindahar wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:
Tekania wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:

Both of these questions focus on the wrong subject. Slave owners are not the issue.

They are valid, how else do you determine who deserves reparations and who pays for them... Otherwise your idea isn't reparations...

I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the idea that blacks have been treated kind of shittily throughout history, but the government didn't force anyone to own slaves, and thus it wasn't the perpetrator.

The government allowed it. The government did not recognize the rights of those enslaved. It did not consider them citizens long after slavery ended. It allowed for white people to kill black people with impugnity, to steal their land, to rape and pillage. It was systemic. That system was the government. It was promoted by, endorsed by and perpetuated by the government.

And who put the people in the government that approved it? The people did. So this all circles around and the government doesn't pay anything, the people do.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:22 am

Peepelonia wrote:
Jello Biafra wrote:

My thought.

How far back in history should we go? Shold we all sue the German gov for the second world war, easpecily anybody who lost a chippy? What about those who's ancesters where killed by my own country when we bomb Dresden to pieces?

Nope, it's all wrong. This life we live it is often not fair, suck it up, go on living.

It would depend on the particular government in question. The German government that perpetrated the second world war is not the same government that exists today, as the former government was dissolved by the Allies. (This doesn't mean that individuals couldn't still be sued or prosecuted, though.) Also, there really isn't an international civil court system in place, so it would be highly difficult for someone from one country to sue the government of another country.
Last edited by Jello Biafra on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sitspot
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sitspot » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:24 am

Free Soviets wrote:
Kashindahar wrote:I'm not entirely unsympathetic to the idea that blacks have been treated kind of shittily throughout history, but the government didn't force anyone to own slaves, and thus it wasn't the perpetrator.

the government both used slave labor and enforced laws that created and maintained slavery

They existed and were evil, but they affected different people to different degrees. Discrimination still exists and effects different people to different degrees. Luckily there is a remedy provided by the Government. It is called the legal system, people who have been damaged can pursue reparation in court.
Ghost of Ayn Rand wrote: Ivy League guys stick together like the pages in Glenn Beck's copy of Atlas Shrugged.

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:24 am

Zandan wrote:And who put the people in the government that approved it? The people did. So this all circles around and the government doesn't pay anything, the people do.

The government is an entity that outlives individual legislators or voters (Iin most cases. There have historically been some short-lived states). There's no "circling around" about it.

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:26 am

Jocabia wrote:The government allowed it.

If I don't intervene in someone trying to shoot you, have I tried to shoot you?

Jocabia wrote:The government did not recognize the rights of those enslaved. It did not consider them citizens long after slavery ended.

Which is part of having been treated kind of shittily.

Jocabia wrote:It allowed for white people to kill black people with impugnity, to steal their land, to rape and pillage.

But it didn't do those things. It did not perpetrate those acts.

Jocabia wrote:It was systemic. That system was the government.

Just a semantics quibble, but you're missing a premise here.

Jocabia wrote:It was promoted by, endorsed by and perpetuated by the government.

Did the federal government force people to own slaves? Did it put out literature saying that slave ownership is "pretty awesome, you should totally give it a whirl"? Or did it just stand by and not stop it?

If the latter, in what sense can it be said that the federal government took an active hand in slavery, that it perpetrated it?
no matter how blunt your hammer, someone is still going to mistake it for a nail
Voracious Vendetta wrote:There is always some prick that comes along and ruins a thread before it goes anywhere

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:26 am

Sitspot wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

They existed and were evil, but they affected different people to different degrees. Discrimination still exists and effects different people to different degrees. Luckily there is a remedy provided by the Government. It is called the legal system, people who have been damaged can pursue reparation in court.

No, actually, you can't. In order to sue the government, guess whose permission you have to have? I'll give you three tries.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:32 am

Kashindahar wrote:If I don't intervene in someone trying to shoot you, have I tried to shoot you?

However, if you arm them and not me. If you punish me for shooting them and not them for shooting me, then you were absolutely complicit.

If I and another person enter your home. We both have guns, but you put a gun to only my head, disarm me and then tell the other guy to shoot me. If he does it, you're going to prison, buddy.

Kashindahar wrote:Which is part of having been treated kind of shittily.

Kind of?

Kashindahar wrote:But it didn't do those things. It did not perpetrate those acts.

Actually, on some occasions it actively engaged in those acts. On all other occasions, by making it legal or simply refusing to protect those it denied the right to protect themselves to, it was complicit.

Kashindahar wrote:Just a semantics quibble, but you're missing a premise here.

No, I'm not.

Kashindahar wrote:Did the federal government force people to own slaves? Did it put out literature saying that slave ownership is "pretty awesome, you should totally give it a whirl"? Or did it just stand by and not stop it?

If the latter, in what sense can it be said that the federal government took an active hand in slavery, that it perpetrated it?

It, for example, counted them in a census so that it gave more power to slave-owning populations. It made laws helping to capture escaped slaves and punishing them. It created a support structure that perpetuated slavery.

I'm not kidding. Are you really this ignorant of history?

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:37 am

Jocabia wrote:

No, I'm not.

Yes, you are. You're jumping from one definition of systemic to another without showing the transition.

And the rest doesn't show how the federal government is anything more than an accomplice, so, no, it didn't perpetrate the act of slavery, which was what I was objecting to in the first place.
no matter how blunt your hammer, someone is still going to mistake it for a nail
Voracious Vendetta wrote:There is always some prick that comes along and ruins a thread before it goes anywhere

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:41 am

And yes, I'm "this ignorant" of US history, but I sincerely doubt that you have the foggiest notion of anything that happened in the last 150 years in my country, so I'll try not to hold it against you.

Tysagan
Secretary

Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Tysagan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:41 am

Is this reparations for slaves or for blacks?

If it is for slaves, then there's no way to prove that any of your ancestors were slaves, the United States Census does not track descent from slaves or slave owners, instead relies on self-reported racial categories. Some slaves were former slave owners, some were Indians, some were other races. How do you decide who gets the reparations without proof of your family being slaves?

Yes, blacks were treated like shit. But so was everyone else that wasn't white(even some whites were treated like shit). So who gets them and who pays them?
Last edited by Tysagan on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 am

Kashindahar wrote:
Jocabia wrote:

No, I'm not.

Yes, you are. You're jumping from one definition of systemic to another without showing the transition.

The system I'm talking about when talking about "systemic" is referring to the government, the system that promotes and provides the infrastructure for these wrongs. I agree that I can and have used it differently in other posts or even other parts of posts, but right there not only did I use it to refer to broad government actions, but I pointed out that I was doing so.

Kashindahar wrote:And the rest doesn't show how the federal government is anything more than an accomplice, so, no, it didn't perpetrate the act of slavery, which was what I was objecting to in the first place.

Being an accomplice makes you guilty, my friend.

Meanwhile, you continue to ignore that the government DID own slaves, DID steal land, DID kill black people, and DID promote and engage in the systemic (now, see there is a different usage) racism.

Sitspot
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Sitspot » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:43 am

Jocabia wrote:
Sitspot wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:

No, actually, you can't. In order to sue the government, guess whose permission you have to have? I'll give you three tries.

In which case all the legal argument is settled, and the niceties of whether it is still the same U.S. government are irrelevant as they only matter from a legal perspective.
So we are left with the moral argument, which leaves slave descendants in the same boat as everyone whose ancestors were wronged in the past by the misdeeds of any Government.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:43 am

Kashindahar wrote:And yes, I'm "this ignorant" of US history, but I sincerely doubt that you have the foggiest notion of anything that happened in the last 150 years in my country, so I'll try not to hold it against you.

I don't know what your country is, but I don't think you have the background to make any assumptions about my knowledge of your nation.

Zandan
Envoy

Postby Zandan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:46 am

Jocabia wrote:
Meanwhile, you continue to ignore that the government DID own slaves, DID steal land, DID kill black people, and DID promote and engage in the systemic (now, see there is a different usage) racism.

The government did not own slaves, the people of the government did. You seem to be making the mistake in thinking that the government is a living breathing thing. The people of the government stole land, the people killed black people(among other races), and the people promoted and engaged in the systemic racism.

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:48 am

Jocabia wrote:
Kashindahar wrote:And the rest doesn't show how the federal government is anything more than an accomplice, so, no, it didn't perpetrate the act of slavery, which was what I was objecting to in the first place.

Being an accomplice makes you guilty, my friend.

Of being an accomplice. Being an accomplice to murder doesn't mean that you perpetrated an act of murder.

Jocabia wrote:Meanwhile, you continue to ignore that the government DID own slaves, DID steal land, DID kill black people, and DID promote and engage in the[sic] systemic (now, see there is a different usage) racism.

Sure. But to extrapolate from this to all to say that the government perpetrated all slavery is simply false.

Jocabia wrote:
Kashindahar wrote:And yes, I'm "this ignorant" of US history, but I sincerely doubt that you have the foggiest notion of anything that happened in the last 150 years in my country, so I'll try not to hold it against you.

I don't know what your country is, but I don't think you have the background to make any assumptions about my knowledge of your nation.

In what way does that also not apply to yourself?

Zandan
Envoy

Postby Zandan » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:51 am

Free Soviets wrote:

The Jim Crow laws were at a state and local level, not federal. The federal government put a stop to them with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

The Norse Hordes
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norse Hordes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:51 am

Kashindahar wrote:In what way does that also not apply to yourself?

Because youre showing in spades that you have no grasp of American history in this very thread.
Neesika wrote:Spongebob Squarepants turned my daughters into faggots.

Economic Left/Right: -9.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.23

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:54 am

The Norse Hordes wrote:
Kashindahar wrote:In what way does that also not apply to yourself?

Because youre showing in spades that you have no grasp of American history in this very thread.

That really has nothing to do with whether or not I have the ability to see if Jocabia knows anything about my country.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:55 am

If your country is on the planet Earth, I probably know more about it than you.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:57 am

Sdaeriji wrote:

Go nuts with that.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:58 am

Kashindahar wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

Go nuts with that.

Should I hazard a guess based on your NS nation?
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:59 am

Sdaeriji wrote:
Kashindahar wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

Go nuts with that.

Should I hazard a guess based on your NS nation?

See above.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General