NATION

PASSWORD

Where are the Reparations

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe Afro americans deserve reparations

Yes they have been wronged over the years and they deserve more than an apology
8%
No cause it will serve no purpose or do no right
83%
Other(Plz explain)
9%

Total votes : 214

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Soyut wrote:
Dakini wrote:
The Norse Hordes wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
The Norse Hordes wrote:

Cycle of poverty. Learn it.

I know what it is...However, that affects people of all colors, so reparations wouldnt be applicable, ;)

Im sure then that its no coincidence that the vast majority of people who are stuck in it are black, right?

I'm fairly certain that's not true. While there may be a higher percentage of black people who are poor, since black people make up a minority of the population, there are more white poor in general even though poor white people make up a smaller percentage of all white people.

Free handouts are not always the best way to help the poor.

I think the best way to help the poor is to provide them jobs...Whats the quote? In tough times the Government should pay a man to dig a hole...

Something like that....

Helgrin
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Helgrin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 pm

Sorry if I'm just repeating what other people have said, but I don't feel like reading 20 pages, and quoting with"This^" written under it.

This is a lot like Kevin Rudds "Sorry" speach. I don't think it will end well.
First of all, who is going to apologise? Do people vote for who will do the apology? What will they say? What if they fuck up? Who are they apologising on behalf of: their ancestors, or all white people?
Secondly, why do they have to apologise? They aren't slaving any more. They haven't ever done slaving. They already rectified this issue by outlawing slavery. None of this generations African Americans have been slaves.
Thirdly, isn't it a bit racist, demanding an apology? Think about it, black people demanding an apology from the white people. The white people who are the decendants of the white people who did the slaving.

Correct me if you think that I'm wrong. Seriously, I really want to debate this.
Mahna Mahna!

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Helgrin wrote:Sorry if I'm just repeating what other people have said, but I don't feel like reading 20 pages, and quoting with"This^" written under it.

This is a lot like Kevin Rudds "Sorry" speach. I don't think it will end well.
First of all, who is going to apologise? Do people vote for who will do the apology? What will they say? What if they fuck up? Who are they apologising on behalf of: their ancestors, or all white people?
Secondly, why do they have to apologise? They aren't slaving any more. They haven't ever done slaving. They already rectified this issue by outlawing slavery. None of this generations African Americans have been slaves.
Thirdly, isn't it a bit racist, demanding an apology? Think about it, black people demanding an apology from the white people. The white people who are the decendants of the white people who did the slaving.

Correct me if you think that I'm wrong. Seriously, I really want to debate this.

Meh, the gist of this thread prettymuch hit its peak 10-15 pages ago...the rest has just been repeats...Its prettymuch gone the way of the poll, which, tbqh, surprised me...

Blackhelm Confederacy
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Blackhelm Confederacy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:
Surote wrote:You think there going to let a black juror or judge get this case ha I laugh at that.

By "they", are you referring to the black president, the black governors of New York and Massachussets, the black supreme court justice, the black Senator from Illinois, the black Congressmen and women from Michigan, New York, Georgia, New Jersey, California, Florida, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Alabama, Wisonconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland and Ohio, or the black mayoral candidate for NYC mayor? Any of those folks looking to impede your peoples quest for justice too?

Theyre just pawns of the White oppressors, obviously, :roll:

Ahhh yes of course, its all clear now.
~Got Oil?~

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Folk Metals
Envoy

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Folk Metals » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 pm

Surote wrote:
Brajh wrote:
Surote wrote:I think blacks deserve reparations cause the japanese got there's after the United States government wronged them why can't we get ours african americans have been Wronged by them for 100+ years.

That's my opinion what's yours.

Native Americans never got reparations. They were treated even worse by the US government.

We were slaves treated as second class citizens up till 2001 and still are hated by the government that when we die they don't give a shit.

They never investigate our murders but when a white is murder they assume one of us did it.

You are a sad racist.
Last edited by Folk Metals on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Folk Metals
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Folk Metals » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:42 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Soyut wrote:
Dakini wrote:
The Norse Hordes wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
The Norse Hordes wrote:

I know what it is...However, that affects people of all colors, so reparations wouldnt be applicable, ;)

Im sure then that its no coincidence that the vast majority of people who are stuck in it are black, right?

I'm fairly certain that's not true. While there may be a higher percentage of black people who are poor, since black people make up a minority of the population, there are more white poor in general even though poor white people make up a smaller percentage of all white people.

I think the best way to help the poor is to provide them jobs...Whats the quote? In tough times the Government should pay a man to dig a hole...

Something like that....

We...definitely need more jobs, for all, not just the blacks.

And yes, I used "the blacks" as a term..for all those about to shit bricks, I don't see a single one of you calling me "Native American" or "Caucasian American." So just stfu before I go off on a rant on how ignorant you are...No double standards here...

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Folk Metals wrote:We...definitely need more jobs, for all, not just the blacks.

And yes, I used "the blacks" as a term..for all those about to shit bricks, I don't see a single one of you calling me "Native American" or "Caucasian American." So just stfu before I go off on a rant on how ignorant you are...No double standards here...

Thats why I said the poor, as in, everyone who's poverty stricken...

But, as far as the naming thing, I dont really care, I said blacks because thats what the majority of people I know call themselves, but if a person wants to be called African American I'll say it too...

They tried to say Caucasian, but, I prefer White, as Im not from anywhere near the Caucuses...personally, I think everyone should just be an American and leave this grouping stuff in the past where it belongs...

Helgrin
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Helgrin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Folk Metals wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Soyut wrote:
Dakini wrote:
The Norse Hordes wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
The Norse Hordes wrote:

Something like that....

We...definitely need more jobs, for all, not just the blacks.

Anyone who think's that the term "black" is racist, should be shot in the face by Malcom X. He coined the term, and he was black.
Mahna Mahna!

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Helgrin wrote:
Anyone who think's that the term "black" is racist, should be shot in the face by Malcom X. He coined the term, and he was black.

Im pretty sure he didnt coin the term, for example, over here in the Colonial Era, Pierre le moyne D'Iberville called the laws dealing with Blacks "Code Noir" or, "Black Codes"...

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 pm

Exilia and Colonies wrote:...

Is this really a case of affirmative action or a case of private school uses independance to give scholarships to whoever it wants/whoever fits the conditions of the donor of the scholarship fund. :eyebrow:

Considering that the vast majority of the Alumni of this School were white, I'm thinking the former, not to mention that the school earlier in that year was told by the Massachusetts Education Board (whatever it's really called) to increase its minority profile.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

RightLeaningChristians
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RightLeaningChristians » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:49 pm

Fuck that shit. I'll call 'em Black Folk. Nothing racist about it.

Otherwise, refer to me as European-American.
Emergency Alertness:
Jesus Christ!
God Damnit!
Fuck Me!

Helgrin
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Helgrin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Helgrin wrote:

Im pretty sure he didnt coin the term, for example, over here in the Colonial Era, Pierre le moyne D'Iberville called the laws dealing with Blacks "Code Noir" or, "Black Codes"...

Sorry, I ment that he used it to to replace the word "nigger" as a term for them. He found it offensive.
Mahna Mahna!

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Surote wrote:
Sitspot wrote:
Surote wrote:
Sitspot wrote:
Surote wrote:So what we should just let our ancestors work and sweat just be forgotten and move on.

Well that is pretty much what everyone else does.
However - you think you have a case, take it to court. That is what they are there for. I fully endorse everyone's right to sue for the damages that they think have been caused to them by slavery. I also endorse the courts right to dismiss it with costs to the defense, if you can't prove their case.
Out of curiosity , just what would you sue for and what damage would you claim had been caused to you?

Like a court with a jury full of whites ans=d a white judge is going to listen to my black ass

I forgot that there were no black jurors or judges and that no black person ever won a court case. Silly me.

You think there going to let a black juror or judge get this case ha I laugh at that.

Who is this "they" you speak of?
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
Isn't anecdotal evidence fun?

It isn't anecdotal if it truly happened to me.. Now if you told it, it could be construed as anecdotal.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:52 pm

Helgrin wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Helgrin wrote:

Sorry, I ment that he used it to to replace the word "nigger" as a term for them. He found it offensive.

Well, it is an offensive term...however, Blacks was in usage since the dawn of racial groupings I believe...

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Helgrin wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Helgrin wrote:

Well, it is an offensive term...however, Blacks was in usage since the dawn of racial groupings I believe...

if you wiki 'racial slurs' you get loads of very odd stuff, half of them i don't recognise.
just saying is all,
:unsure:

Helgrin
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Helgrin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:56 pm

RightLeaningChristians wrote:Fuck that shit. I'll call 'em Black Folk. Nothing racist about it.

Also, see this http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... upid_ideas
Mahna Mahna!

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:58 pm

i don't feel like paging through the whole thing, but i assume this has all been about slavery, to the exclusion of, say, the decades of theft and murder that happened after. i mean, it's rarely remarked on but clearly true that significant amounts of land were flat-out stolen from black farmers well into the middle of the 20th century - to say nothing of the tulsa-style events specifically engineered to destroy the black middle and upper classes by burning down their businesses, stealing their property, and outright killing them.

any look into the records (provided they weren't deliberately destroyed, of course) is going to wind up with people who are still living that by all rights are owed millions by various government bodies and insurance companies and identifiable individuals.
Last edited by Free Soviets on Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helgrin
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Helgrin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:59 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Helgrin wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Helgrin wrote:

Exactly. "Black" is used to replace the offensive word, so it isn't offensive.
Mahna Mahna!

Folk Metals
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Folk Metals » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:00 pm

Helgrin wrote:
RightLeaningChristians wrote:Fuck that shit. I'll call 'em Black Folk. Nothing racist about it.

Also, see this http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... upid_ideas

I know man, I don't consider it racist either. I just didn't want to get shit for it is all. I'm tired, and I don't want to deal with that right nopw.

Folk Metals
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Folk Metals » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:00 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Folk Metals wrote:We...definitely need more jobs, for all, not just the blacks.

Thats why I said the poor, as in, everyone who's poverty stricken...

But, as far as the naming thing, I dont really care, I said blacks because thats what the majority of people I know call themselves, but if a person wants to be called African American I'll say it too...

They tried to say Caucasian, but, I prefer White, as Im not from anywhere near the Caucuses...personally, I think everyone should just be an American and leave this grouping stuff in the past where it belongs...

Ahhh, okay. I agree then.
ish tired... -.-;

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 pm

Folk Metals wrote:
Surote wrote:
Brajh wrote:
Surote wrote:I think blacks deserve reparations cause the japanese got there's after the United States government wronged them why can't we get ours african americans have been Wronged by them for 100+ years.

Native Americans never got reparations. They were treated even worse by the US government.

We were slaves treated as second class citizens up till 2001 and still are hated by the government that when we die they don't give a shit.

They never investigate our murders but when a white is murder they assume one of us did it.

You are a sad racist moron.

Folk Metals, knock off the name calling. You seem to have missed reading the One-stop Rules Shop about acceptable forum behavior, I recommend that you go take a look at it.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Folk Metals
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Folk Metals » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:04 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Folk Metals wrote:
Surote wrote:
Brajh wrote:

Folk Metals, knock off the name calling. You seem to have missed reading the One-stop Rules Shop about acceptable forum behavior, I recommend that you go take a look at it.

Oh c'mon. Did you even read the post?

And sarcastic Mods? o.O

Helgrin
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Helgrin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Folk Metals wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Folk Metals wrote:
Surote wrote:
Brajh wrote:

And sarcastic Mods? o.O

Just get rid of "moron" and all will be good.
Mahna Mahna!

Folk Metals
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Folk Metals » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:07 pm

Helgrin wrote:
Folk Metals wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Folk Metals wrote:
Surote wrote:
Brajh wrote:

And sarcastic Mods? o.O

Just get rid of "moron" and all will be good.

Wait, really?

I thought it was the "racist" part that got me in trouble.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General