NATION

PASSWORD

Maryland close to eliminating death penalty

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Kantanska wrote:
Avenio wrote:

We call that a fantasy world, BTW.

No, its called requiring hard evidence like CCTV images and DNA evidence and eyewitnesses. Confessions like Breivik and manifestos also can be required. Brevick also probably would not be executed in this system. I strongly suspect that the man is unbalanced despite what Gov't doctors may say.

Your system cannot be absule though. It's going to happen.
password scrambled

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Kantanska wrote:No, its called requiring hard evidence like CCTV images and DNA evidence and eyewitnesses.

Wrongful executions still happen. They aren't something that went away with the advent of DNA sequencing.

Kantanska wrote:Confessions like Breivik and manifestos also can be required. Brevick also probably would not be executed in this system. I strongly suspect that the man is unbalanced despite what Gov't doctors may say.

If he's 'unbalanced', he deserves to be in a mental institution, not in front of a firing squad. If he's not 'unbalanced', since he wants to become a martyr for his cause, I can think of no better place for him to be than sitting in a Norwegian jail cell, unable to communicate with the rest of the world until the end of his days.

EDIT: You're still avoiding the question, I see. Do you think that hundreds of wrongfully-executed people is worth the cost of putting them in jail cells?
Last edited by Avenio on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kantanska
Attaché

Founded: Jun 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kantanska » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 pm

Avenio wrote:
Kantanska wrote:No, its called requiring hard evidence like CCTV images and DNA evidence and eyewitnesses.

Wrongful executions still happen. They aren't something that went away with the advent of DNA sequencing.

Note I didn't say 'or' I specified 'and'.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Kantanska wrote:Note I didn't say 'or' I specified 'and'.

And if there is no CCTV footage or DNA evidence?

Kantanska
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kantanska » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Avenio wrote:
Kantanska wrote:Note I didn't say 'or' I specified 'and'.

And if there is no CCTV footage or DNA evidence?

Then there is no capital crime.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Kantanska wrote:Then there is no capital crime.

What a bizarre standard. You start of the debate complaining that jailing criminals costs too much and we should just execute them, but now only want criminals executed in a small minority of cases?

You sure you've thought this through?

Hockenberg
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hockenberg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Life sentances are more harsh and cheaper than the death penalty, so good move.
My nation's laws. | Nation (mostly) reflects RL beliefs. | My YouTube channel
I am: F1 Reject, anti-monarchist, agnostic atheist, pacifist, pro-choice (though I hate that term), pro-universal healthcare, occasional troll, male, straight, anti-gun nut (not nessecarily pro-gun control) and anti-marriage

Kantanska
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kantanska » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Avenio wrote:
Kantanska wrote:Then there is no capital crime.

What a bizarre standard. You start of the debate complaining that jailing criminals costs too much and we should just execute them, but now only want criminals executed in a small minority of cases?

You sure you've thought this through?

I'd like you to find a single quote where I said that I like the way the current system operates. I NEVER EVER said that I think that. I simply stated that I thought it should be an option rather than completely abolishing it. Then I got dragged into the rest. You all simply assumed I was one of the Kim's.

EDIT: It is partly my fault as well. I didn't start my position out very well with the whole "emotional appeal" thing and I did let myself get dragged into the rest.
Last edited by Kantanska on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Kantanska wrote:
Avenio wrote:

We call that a fantasy world, BTW.

No, its called requiring hard evidence like CCTV images and DNA evidence and eyewitnesses. Confessions like Breivik and manifestos also can be required. Brevick also probably would not be executed in this system. I strongly suspect that the man is unbalanced despite what Gov't doctors may say.

Eyewitnesses?
Hard evidence?
Humans are quite unreliable witnesses. Watch the second video before you do anything else on that page.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Kantanska
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Kantanska » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:49 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Kantanska wrote:

Eyewitnesses?
Hard evidence?
Humans are quite unreliable witnesses. Watch the second video before you do anything else on that page.

Once again please note that I said 'AND' not 'OR'.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General