NATION

PASSWORD

Should Assault Weapons be banned?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Assault Weapons be banned?

Yes.
36%
No.
64%

Total votes : 1181

The united imperial sector
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The united imperial sector » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
No it does not. Since you cannot eliminate the predatory instinct in man entirely, then the right of the average citizen to guns as a means of self defense outweigh the negatives.

Why do you think less guns will mean more death?

If it dosnt lead to less death it will lead to more gruesume deaths like in sted of mass shootings we will have mass stabings and sword fights.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 am

Cosara wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

You don't get it do you? Criminals don't obey the law! They'll just buy guns illegally, and use them to kill people.

Which is why the UK has just as many gun deaths as the US, right?
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 am

No.

Assault weapons are no more dangerous in Mass shootings than a 100 year old Mauser rifle or a pump-action shotgun.
The highest consistent rate of fire in Mass shootings is generally about 15 rounds per minute.
Last edited by Tule on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 am

The united imperial sector wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

If it dosnt lead to less death it will lead to more gruesume deaths like in sted of mass shootings we will have mass stabings and sword fights.

Source that countries with less guns have more stabbings?
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
No it does not. Since you cannot eliminate the predatory instinct in man entirely, then the right of the average citizen to guns as a means of self defense outweigh the negatives.

Did I say that it did? Since the only people who are disarmed by gun-control measures are the law-abiding, then banning guns leaves only them defenseless. And gun violence is not the only reason for having/using a gun in self defense. Hammers, knives and bare hands kill and maim as well.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 am

Cosara wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

You don't get it do you? Criminals don't obey the law! They'll just buy guns illegally, and use them to kill people.

Guns don't grow on trees. Where will they get them from?
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Cosara
Senator

Founded: Nov 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosara » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Cosara wrote:

Which is why the UK has just as many gun deaths as the US, right?

They forcefully took you weapons and if you were caught with one, you were sent to prison. If they tried that here, there would be a full scale civil war.
"Do not lose hope; St. Joseph also had moments of doubt. but he never lost faith and was able to overcome them in the certainty that God never abandons us." -Pope Francis

"We are never defeated unless we give up on god." -Ronald Reagan

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:39 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Cosara wrote:

Guns don't grow on trees. Where will they get them from?

The 300 million or so that are already out there would be a good source.

Edit: and an attack by a gun-wielding criminal is not the only reason for the defensive use of a gun.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:39 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

Did I say that it did?

No, no. But you heavily implied it. Excuse me if I misinterpreted you.

Since the only people who are disarmed by gun-control measures are the law-abiding, then banning guns leaves only them defenseless.

In theory, yes. In practice, countries with gun bans have much, much lower rates of gun deaths.

And gun violence is not the only reason for having/using a gun in self defense. Hammers, knives and bare hands kill and maim as well.

What have hammers got to do with guns? If there's a high risk of being robbed with a hammer, carry a hammer.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The united imperial sector » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am

Ovisterra wrote:
The united imperial sector wrote:If it dosnt lead to less death it will lead to more gruesume deaths like in sted of mass shootings we will have mass stabings and sword fights.

I dont need a source use common sense if someone whants to kill someone then they can use anything to do it with banning guns just dosnt just make murders and crime disapere.

Republica Newland
Minister

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Newland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am

Divair wrote:
Cosara wrote:3) We need guns so that we can defend ourselves against a tyrannical government.

Not going to take a side, but this is just BS. How will a tyrannical government take over the US? And how would a rifle help against a trained army, an air force, tanks, and a navy?

Ask the Arabs.
F Scale: 2.9(3)
Economic Left/Right: 0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10
Aloha.
I play RL-concious. That's just how I roll. Deal with it.
GOODIES IN STOCK!!! - Republica Arms™ - SEARCH FOR TFLRN IN GLOBAL ECONOMICS&TRADE!

Republica Newland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Newland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:41 am

The united imperial sector wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

I dont need a source use common sense if someone whants to kill someone then they can use anything to do it with banning guns just dosnt just make murders and crime disapere.

There is no common sense around here pal.
Aloha.
GOODIES IN STOCK!!! - Republica Arms™ - SEARCH FOR TFLRN IN GLOBAL ECONOMICS&TRADE!

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:41 am

Republica Newland wrote:Ask the Arabs.

Libya's army is totally comparable to the USA's.

Seems legit.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The united imperial sector » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:41 am

Republica Newland wrote:
The united imperial sector wrote:I dont need a source use common sense if someone whants to kill someone then they can use anything to do it with banning guns just dosnt just make murders and crime disapere.

There is no common sense around here pal.

True enought but I can at least try.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:42 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Did I say that it did?

Since the only people who are disarmed by gun-control measures are the law-abiding, then banning guns leaves only them defenseless.

In theory, yes. In practice, countries with gun bans have much, much lower rates of gun deaths.

And gun violence is not the only reason for having/using a gun in self defense. Hammers, knives and bare hands kill and maim as well.

What have hammers got to do with guns? If there's a high risk of being robbed with a hammer, carry a hammer.

No, If you are at risk of being attacked with a hammer (or knife or someones bare hands) then you should have the ability to put down the attacker in the most efficient, safest (to the victim) manner possible: with a gun.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!

Alekera
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alekera » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:42 am

Ovisterra wrote:
The united imperial sector wrote:If it dosnt lead to less death it will lead to more gruesume deaths like in sted of mass shootings we will have mass stabings and sword fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9efqhGBHZI

Note: it does not directly talk about stabbing, but merely, the overall amount of crime.
Last edited by Alekera on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 am

Divair wrote:
Ponderosa wrote:It's better to have a gun than no gun at all.

In one situation, you might live. The other you end up dead. So no, it's not better.

Yes, it is. What are you even trying to say here?

Divair wrote:
Ponderosa wrote:
So we don't need rifles anyway? Cool.

Yes, we still need them. When fighting a war, it's always better to have more guns.

Divair wrote:
Ponderosa wrote:I'm not saying that the US government will attack its own citizens anytime soon. But history has shown us that it is a possibility, and we need to be prepared.

What? When did the US kill US citizens in large numbers?

Why don't you ask the Native Americans? Why don't you ask the slaves? Why don't you ask the Japanese Americans who were imprisoned during WW2? America has had its share of oppression and genocide. It can happen again. And don't say we need to wait until it starts happening again to think about getting our guns back.
The Free Republic of Ponderosa
National Factbook | Map | Embassy | IIWiki | Wintreath
The Collection Collection | Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook | Captions for Banners!
Political Compass | Gameplay Alignment
Social democrat - Social Libertarian - Agnostic Atheist - INTP - Runner
Retired WerePenguins wrote:That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees.
Steve Prefontaine wrote:The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die.
Christopher Hitchens wrote:Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.

Republica Newland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Newland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:44 am

Divair wrote:
Republica Newland wrote:Ask the Arabs.

Libya's army is totally comparable to the USA's.

Seems legit.

The USA obviously being a 3rd world shitholey authoritarian country as the Arab states used to be,would totally use more force than the Arabs did.

Seems legit.
Aloha.

Policydebateftw
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Policydebateftw » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:44 am

Sadly, Banning assault rifles probably won't push down the rate of murders(There are already so many in circulation, it likely can't be stopped) I do lol at everyone saying the U.S. governement is going to take us over.
a) do you really think any larger number of politicians/generals would support such a thing
b) 1930s germany comparison is invalid, that was literally the most unstable democracy at the time
c)My semi-automatic rifle is really going to stop that tank

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:44 am

Republica Newland wrote:
Divair wrote:Libya's army is totally comparable to the USA's.

Seems legit.

The USA obviously being a 3rd world shitholey authoritarian country as the Arab states used to be,would totally use more force than the Arabs did.

Seems legit.

So you're saying it's a bullshit argument anyway? Good to know.

Man, this gets repetitive.

Republica Newland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Newland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:45 am

Ovisterra wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Did I say that it did?

I.. can't even..

"Carry a hammer" is the apogee of gun control wisdom. Much like "buy a dog". NS is turning into a meme factory.
Aloha.

Republica Newland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Newland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:47 am

Divair wrote:
Republica Newland wrote:

Seems legit.

So you're saying it's a bullshit argument anyway? Good to know.

Man, this gets repetitive.

Yes it does. With you gun control folks repeatedly failing to understand that how much muscle the US military has is completely irrelevant. The more drastic the measures,the more military will defect. Simple as that. Proven fact.
Aloha.

Alekera
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alekera » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:47 am

Republica Newland wrote:
Ovisterra wrote:

I.. can't even..

"Carry a hammer" is the apogee of gun control wisdom. Much like "buy a dog". NS is turning into a meme factory.

Or in the words of Joe Biden "Buy a shotgun... buy a shotgun!"

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:48 am

Republica Newland wrote:you gun control folks

I suppose you just conveniently ignored the part where I didn't take sides, right?

Republica Newland wrote:Yes it does. With you gun control folks repeatedly failing to understand that how much muscle the US military has is completely irrelevant
The more drastic the measures,the more military will defect. Simple as that. Proven fact.

So you don't need rifles because the theoretical tyrannical government can't do anything. Cool. Thanks for proving my point.

Republica Newland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Newland » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 am

Alekera wrote:
Republica Newland wrote:
I.. can't even..

Or in the words of Joe Biden "Buy a shotgun... buy a shotgun!"

2 BLASTS!!!!!

12 GAUGE IS THE ANSWER!!!!!!!
Aloha.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General