NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion Games? What is our society becoming?!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 pm

Terruana wrote:I don't care. Do you get offended when kids play Operation? Same thing in my books.

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:23 am

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote: :rofl:
Why say it then?
You seemed a little... outraged.
Why argue the point if you don't care?

I seem outraged? I think you must be projecting - if we were speaking, I've yet to raise my voice, much less become passionate.

Why argue if I don't care? Truth doesn't need me to be passionate, just right.

No, you don't get off that easily.
I said "Who cares if it (legal abortion) is safer?" To provoke a morality based argument from you (not because I don't care).

You said something along the lines of: "Don't you care about the woman at all? Is the fetus your only concern?"
and "No child should be brought up knowing it is unloved."

But why would that be the case without morality?
If we remove morality from law then we could just let the mother and fetus suffer and/or die.
Do you think that should be legal?

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 am

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
I seem outraged? I think you must be projecting - if we were speaking, I've yet to raise my voice, much less become passionate.

Why argue if I don't care? Truth doesn't need me to be passionate, just right.

No, you don't get off that easily.
I said "Who cares if it (legal abortion) is safer?" To provoke a morality based argument from you (not because I don't care).

You said something along the lines of: "Don't you care about the woman at all? Is the fetus your only concern?"

If we remove morality from law then we could just let the mother and fetus suffer and/or die.

Not to butt in, but do you seriously see no pragmatic reasons why it would be counterproductive to have women dying and children being reared in hostile environments?

Just from a purely practical standpoint, it's wasteful to be throwing away the lives of individuals who may have useful skill sets, who contribute to the labor pool, and who are likely integrated into the social fabric. It's foolish to knowingly increase the number of offspring who grow up without proper care, since there is ample research underlining the critical stages of development and how poor socialization can be profoundly destructive. The over-all impact on social cohesion is also non-trivial, since humans thrive as social primates but if you destroy our social contract then our ability to work together breaks down.

So yes, I mean, we COULD do something as stupid and self-destructive as allowing women and children to suffer and die needlessly. But we would perform poorly as a society and would quickly die out, so our foolishness would be irrelevant to the more practical societies which would supplant us.
Last edited by Bottle on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Waideland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Waideland » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:33 am

I don't suppose anyone heard this news about abortion last year? Apparently, it finally managed to edge out gun shot wounds as the #1 cause of death for black males under the age of 21. I guess decreased numbers of kids that have basketball and rap as their only escape from reality are reason for the declining talent in those two professions.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:34 am

Waideland wrote:I don't suppose anyone heard this news about abortion last year? Apparently, it finally managed to edge out gun shot wounds as the #1 cause of death for black males under the age of 21. I guess decreased numbers of kids that have basketball and rap as their only escape from reality are reason for the declining talent in those two professions.

Source?

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:36 am

Bottle wrote:
Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:No, you don't get off that easily.

Not to butt in, but do you seriously see no pragmatic reasons why it would be counterproductive to have women dying and children being reared in hostile environments?

Just from a purely practical standpoint, it's wasteful to be throwing away the lives of individuals who may have useful skill sets, who contribute to the labor pool, and who are likely integrated into the social fabric. It's foolish to knowingly increase the number of offspring who grow up without proper care, since there is ample research underlining the critical stages of development and how poor socialization can be profoundly destructive. The over-all impact on social cohesion is also non-trivial, since humans thrive as social primates but if you destroy our social contract then our ability to work together breaks down.

So yes, I mean, we COULD do something as stupid and self-destructive as allowing women and children to suffer and die needlessly. But we would perform poorly as a society and would quickly die out, so our foolishness would be irrelevant to the more practical societies which would supplant us.

I do see pragmatic reasons. My point is that we can't remove morality from law. You make a good point but it could be applied to abortion as well as we are still throwing away potential workers.
On the other side of the coin maybe it would be a good thing (practically of course, morally it would be kind of evil) to let them die and reduce the population in times of high unemployment thus leaving more wealth in circulation for everyone else.

Thesan
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Thesan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:50 am

I'M GONNA PLAY IT AT UNIVERSITY!!! :lol:
Economic LEFT/Right: -6.62
Social LIBERTARIAN/Authoritarian: -7.38
Patriotic Social Democrat (with 68% of ecological!)
Thesan Territories
Thesan | Nedor | Irova

This nation reflects my political views.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:00 am

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:I do see pragmatic reasons. My point is that we can't remove morality from law.

Except we can, and do, all the time. We have plenty of laws that are purely about pragmatism and not about morals. For instance, the law that one must drive on the right (or left) is not a "moral" issue, it's just a matter of us needing to choose one side or the other in order to be practical.

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:You make a good point but it could be applied to abortion as well as we are still throwing away potential workers.

Killing off actual workers today on the off chance that we will get different workers in the future is not practical. The current workers are already here, they are already of known abilities, we have already invested resources in getting them to adulthood and training them, and they are able to produce right now.

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:On the other side of the coin maybe it would be a good thing (practically of course, morally it would be kind of evil) to let them die and reduce the population in times of high unemployment thus leaving more wealth in circulation for everyone else.

And again, this ignores the practical concerns of the social contract.

To put it in the simplest terms, if my government decided to declare my life and bodily sovereignty to be less valuable then the existence of a fetus, I would leave. I would take my PhD and move to a different country. All the resources that my country spent on getting me to adulthood, educating me, training me in my profession, all that would be gone, and they still wouldn't get a fetus--sorry, "potential labor"--out of it.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:02 am

Waideland wrote:I don't suppose anyone heard this news about abortion last year? Apparently, it finally managed to edge out gun shot wounds as the #1 cause of death for black males under the age of 21. I guess decreased numbers of kids that have basketball and rap as their only escape from reality are reason for the declining talent in those two professions.

Please tell me you're kidding.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:19 am

huh?
whatever

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:36 am

Bottle wrote:
Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:I do see pragmatic reasons. My point is that we can't remove morality from law.

Except we can, and do, all the time. We have plenty of laws that are purely about pragmatism and not about morals. For instance, the law that one must drive on the right (or left) is not a "moral" issue, it's just a matter of us needing to choose one side or the other in order to be practical.

I'm not saying that we don't need practical laws simply that morality has a place in the overall legal system.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:39 am

Bottle wrote:Except we can, and do, all the time. We have plenty of laws that are purely about pragmatism and not about morals. For instance, the law that one must drive on the right (or left) is not a "moral" issue, it's just a matter of us needing to choose one side or the other in order to be practical.

I'm not saying that we don't need practical laws simply that morality has a place in the overall legal system.

But who's morality?
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:41 am

Bottle wrote:
To put it in the simplest terms, if my government decided to declare my life and bodily sovereignty to be less valuable then the existence of a fetus, I would leave. I would take my PhD and move to a different country. All the resources that my country spent on getting me to adulthood, educating me, training me in my profession, all that would be gone, and they still wouldn't get a fetus--sorry, "potential labor"--out of it.

But there are no morals remember? Why don't they just make it illegal to leave?

Okay here's a scenario.
Your country is divided down the middle with 51% on one side and 49% on the other.
You are in the 51%.
You are given the choice to remove all rights from the 49% and make then your slaves?
Would you vote yes or no?
(If you vote yes you get a million {currency used where you live})
Last edited by Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petrovsegratsk
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrovsegratsk » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:44 am

Frisivisia wrote:Cue abortion thread in 3... 2... 1...

Your prediction was as accurate as the Mayan calender.
My name is Николай and I am from Россия.

IMPEACH CHARLES XII - LEGALIZE MODERNIZATION - ISOLATION IS THEFT - PETER THE GREAT 1682

The Capitalist Russian, a rare species.

Yandere Schoolgirls wrote:Capitalism is the most moral and effective system for bringing wealth to countries that man has ever devised or known

Hippostania wrote:I live in the second largest metropolitan area in the country (with a grand population of 300,000 :p) and as a lifelong city dweller, I have no skills to survive in the wild whatsoever. To put it mildly, I'd be royally fucked.

The Ben Boys wrote:They are so cute. It's like a toddler trying to wrestle a bear, except the toddler is retarded, doesn't have any teeth, and poops way too much.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:52 am

Czechanada wrote:
Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:I'm not saying that we don't need practical laws simply that morality has a place in the overall legal system.

But who's morality?

I think mine. You think yours.
The one that prevents killing and protects freedom is good with me.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:53 am

I can guarantee you that not a single black man has been killed by abortion in the history of the universe.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 am

Non-sourced bullshit topped with racial stereotypes and misperceptions of an entire group of people? Tasty, but it could use a little sauce.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:21 am

Frisivisia wrote:

Non-sourced bullshit topped with racial stereotypes and misperceptions of an entire group of people? Tasty, but it could use a little sauce.

im thinking its a joke but not a good one.
whatever

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:32 am

Czechanada wrote:
But who's morality?

I think mine. You think yours.
The one that prevents killing and protects freedom is good with me.

It's amazing that this is a major reason why I'm pro-choice.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:45 am

Bottle wrote:

Because that's not practical. Ask any of the countries which try to maintain oppressive police states: it's fucking expensive as shit, and it impedes productivity if a major chunk of your population is trying to figure out how to flee the country.

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:Okay here's a scenario.
Your country is divided down the middle with 51% on one side and 49% on the other.
You are in the 51%.
You are given the choice to remove all rights from the 49% and make then your slaves?

I would vote no, because slavery is an impractical system, particularly in the modern world. The international repercussions alone would be crushing, and the economics of slavery would be crappy compared to alternatives.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:50 am

Xsyne wrote:

I can guarantee you that not a single black man has been killed by abortion in the history of the universe.

That's why he oh-so-cleverly said "males."

Unfortunately for him, that phrasing actually makes his statement entirely false. Far more black "males" die as a result of spontaneous abortion (i.e. miscarriage), and always have. A conservative estimate would be that for every black infant brought to term, there was at least one pregnancy that did not make it to term, and that's if you exclude all intentional abortions.

It's also a statement that is true for all ethnic groups, rendering his racist dogwhistle even more obvious.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:51 am

Bottle wrote:Except we can, and do, all the time. We have plenty of laws that are purely about pragmatism and not about morals. For instance, the law that one must drive on the right (or left) is not a "moral" issue, it's just a matter of us needing to choose one side or the other in order to be practical.

Perhaps it has "a place," but that place should always be subservient to practical concerns, particularly because all morality is subjective.

I honestly don't care what your "moral" view of abortion is, and I have yet to see you make a case for why I should care. Hence, it's irrelevant. There are pragmatic reasons for me to support abortion, in addition to my subjective moral belief that female human beings are persons who retain basic human rights even if they become pregnant. You'll have to make a case for why I should consider anybody's "moral feelings" more important than my judgments.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:51 pm

Bottle wrote:

Because that's not practical. Ask any of the countries which try to maintain oppressive police states: it's fucking expensive as shit, and it impedes productivity if a major chunk of your population is trying to figure out how to flee the country.

Democratic Republic of the Triumvirate wrote:Okay here's a scenario.
You are in the 51%.

I would vote no, because slavery is an impractical system, particularly in the modern world. The international repercussions alone would be crushing, and the economics of slavery would be crappy compared to alternatives.

The economics would be crappy?
And if it worked?
No moral objections?

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Bottle wrote:Because that's not practical. Ask any of the countries which try to maintain oppressive police states: it's fucking expensive as shit, and it impedes productivity if a major chunk of your population is trying to figure out how to flee the country.

The economics would be crappy?
And if it worked?
No moral objections?

If my only issue with slavery was purely a matter of my subjective moral opinion, then I wouldn't support laws about it because I don't believe in legislating my personal feelings. Fortunately, there are countless objective arguments against it, so your question is irrelevant.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General