NATION

PASSWORD

Pirates... as in Argh, matey

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:52 am

Democratic Koyro wrote:Perhaps they should create a classification of Whale Research Ship that is allowed to carry armaments to defend themselves against pirates and eco-terrorists?

Why the hell would they do that? The UN doesn't want the Japanese whaling anyway. HENCE THE BAN.
Democratic Koyro wrote:Thinking of becoming a supporter of the ICR, its only $21 dollars a year.

Yeah, live it up along with the Yakuza and the Japanese government trying to show off to the West as you dump your money down the hole. It's a losing battle.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 am

Tiger, you may have won this argument.... :clap:

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 am

"Endangering human life"? Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the big bad environmentalists hurting the poor widdle whalers

i'm more concerned about the people on the SS ships. like i said before, there's a reason film crews refuse to actually be on the same ship as them anymore, and it's not because they're competent sea farers.

it's pretty funny that ramming is pretty much ok because lol lifeboats. even if it wasn't in the southern fucking ocean, that would be pretty silly.

have you ever watched whale wars? o:
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:49 am

Souseiseki wrote:
"Endangering human life"? Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the big bad environmentalists hurting the poor widdle whalers

i'm more concerned about the people on the SS ships. like i said before, there's a reason film crews refuse to actually be on the same ship as them anymore, and it's not because they're competent sea farers.

Might very well be true. But we're debating their legality, not their competence.

Souseiseki wrote:it's pretty funny that ramming is pretty much ok because lol lifeboats. even if it wasn't in the southern fucking ocean, that would be pretty silly.

Price you pay for breaking the law.
It's not exactly...safe in the conventional sense, but it's not the murderous tool of sheer bloody death people make it out to be here. The whalers have plenty of recourses should their boat be damaged to the point of inoperability.
The best case scenario for both sides, in that case, is that the whalers just leave.

Souseiseki wrote:have you ever watched whale wars? o:
[/quote]
A while back, yeah. I don't watch too much TV, but after a few episodes, I decided I'd basically got the gist.
Last edited by The Tiger Kingdom on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:39 am

DuThaal Craftworld wrote:Sink the Sea Shepherd ship in the middle of the night with a breaching charge to the engine room, repeat with the Japanese ships. The Japanese should whale in their own waters. Of course, they KILLED ALL OF THE WHALES THAT LIVED THERE, so fuck that noise. Without any ships, no one can whale, and no one can throw rancid butter, right?

Sounds like a good plan, draft a law which allows Japan whaling rights only in their own waters..... That htey have no whales left there is there own stupid fucking problem...... if they had not "researched" their whales to non-existence they would not have had that problem.
Such heroic nonsense!

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:40 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Good. I hope the bastards get what's coming to them.

You'd think they'd done something morally wrong from the way you're talking. And incompetent as they may be, I'm not seeing it.
I have very little sympathy for the Japanese on this. They have no reason to support whaling as they've done; it only dates back a few decades as a serious part of their culture, and nobody in Japan cares nearly as much about the issue itself as the government does. What it is is a showboat piece to show how Japan refuses to give in to Western influence on ONE issue, which just so happens to be whaling. Besides, they stopped the hunt this year anyway, as I recall.

Right? I fucking love NSG. Poachers violating both international convention and local (Australia's) laws are objects of sympathy when obnoxious environmentalists are the opposition.
Last edited by Choronzon on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 am

Choronzon wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:You'd think they'd done something morally wrong from the way you're talking. And incompetent as they may be, I'm not seeing it.
I have very little sympathy for the Japanese on this. They have no reason to support whaling as they've done; it only dates back a few decades as a serious part of their culture, and nobody in Japan cares nearly as much about the issue itself as the government does. What it is is a showboat piece to show how Japan refuses to give in to Western influence on ONE issue, which just so happens to be whaling. Besides, they stopped the hunt this year anyway, as I recall.

Right? I fucking love NSG. Poachers violating both international convention and local (Australia's) laws are objects of sympathy when obnoxious environmentalists are the opposition.

And a thousand dead whales don't amount to a single scratch on a poacher's hand.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am

Choronzon wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:You'd think they'd done something morally wrong from the way you're talking. And incompetent as they may be, I'm not seeing it.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=227319&p=13164390#p13164390

still open
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am

Those poor, poor Japanese whalers, thousands of miles away from their territorial waters engaging in illegal poaching in someone elses waters (cue the Sara McLachlan music) won't you please help them?
Such heroic nonsense!

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am

Souseiseki wrote:
Choronzon wrote:Right? I fucking love NSG. Poachers violating both international convention and local (Australia's) laws are objects of sympathy when obnoxious environmentalists are the opposition.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=227319&p=13164390#p13164390

still open

Well, the US court in the OP, for one.

And that really doesn't make a lick of difference. The Japanese whalers are still for all intents and purposes poachers, and you're all defending them.. But hey, sure, why not. Those nasty environmentalists are interfering with your supply of cheap and clean burning lamp oil. The fuckers. They're obnoxious anyway. Might as well dismiss their entire point of view.

Lets see if we can get whales extinct by 2020!
Last edited by Choronzon on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:51 am

Galloism wrote:
Anyway, I just want to say: good. The Japanese may be pulling a fast one (and they are), but it is not the sea shepherd's place to be ramming ships and launching projectiles.

It's someone's place. Whalers shouldn't feel safe.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:52 am

Page wrote:
Galloism wrote:
Anyway, I just want to say: good. The Japanese may be pulling a fast one (and they are), but it is not the sea shepherd's place to be ramming ships and launching projectiles.

This.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:52 am

The government should hand out letters of marque so we can hunt them down.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:53 am

Czechanada wrote:The government should hand out letters of marque so we can hunt them down.

Vigilante justice must be punished by vigilante justice!
When the war is over
Got to start again

Varijnland
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Varijnland » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:58 am

Not pirates...........Pirates are from Bristol, everyone knows that :palm:

Retiring from NS, I wish you all the best in your future endevours :)

- Rasmus

P.S stay off drugs

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Page wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Exactly. Somebody has to stand up for what is right, and if the Sea Sheperds are the ones to do it, good for them.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Czechanada wrote:The government should hand out letters of marque so we can hunt them down.

The Japanese Whalers, Sea Shepherd or both?
Such heroic nonsense!

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Tekania wrote:

Flip a coin.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Democratic Koyro wrote:
Tekania wrote:

Flip a coin.

Okay, heads Japanese Whalers, tails not Sea Shepherd.. call it.
Such heroic nonsense!

The Pan-Asian Conglomerate
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Pan-Asian Conglomerate » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Cruciland wrote:Assuming that the Sea Shepards are not put down, I would recommend whaling with battleships. (or some other armed craft) For one, Japan is not in any conflicts, so they can probably afford to deploy their military right now or issue artillery to fishing trolleys. For two, it would easily deterr those ecological terrorists. For three, it would be as funny as Hell if the whaling crew nuked the whales.

I support this motion.
My nation is a Corporate-Based Conglomerate of East Asian Nations founded in the wake of WWII. Just though I'd let ya know.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:05 pm

If you find vigilantism morally correct or acceptable, you're operating a long way from my side of the issue.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 pm

The Pan-Asian Conglomerate wrote:
Cruciland wrote:Assuming that the Sea Shepards are not put down, I would recommend whaling with battleships. (or some other armed craft) For one, Japan is not in any conflicts, so they can probably afford to deploy their military right now or issue artillery to fishing trolleys. For two, it would easily deterr those ecological terrorists. For three, it would be as funny as Hell if the whaling crew nuked the whales.

I support this motion.

Which is also the most laughably impractical and wildly wasteful suggestion put forward yet, on top of being completely wrongheaded in about four distinct ways.
the Japanese government is not about to deploy the Self-Defense Navy or whatever the hell it's called to protect the scows with the goal of killing unarmed protestors. Also, Japan doesn't have nukes.
When the war is over
Got to start again

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 pm

armed robbery is armed robbery. whatever the romance of performing it in international waters, nor the history of doing so, armed robbery is still armed robbery.

of course i'll grant; "grand theft sailing ship", is at least amusing. and often it was an employee revolt against intolerable working conditions, so i can't say anything against that either.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

If you find vigilantism morally correct or acceptable, you're operating a long way from my side of the issue.

It's not vigilantism, though. They are enforcing UN law as put forward by the Nature Charter, which was signed...by Japan.
When the war is over
Got to start again

The Pan-Asian Conglomerate
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Pan-Asian Conglomerate » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:10 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
The Pan-Asian Conglomerate wrote:
I support this motion.

Which is also the most laughably impractical and wildly wasteful suggestion put forward yet, on top of being completely wrongheaded in about four distinct ways.
the Japanese government is not about to deploy the Self-Defense Navy or whatever the hell it's called to protect the scows with the goal of killing unarmed protestors. Also, Japan doesn't have nukes.

Dear me, how could you think I was serious? :palm:

Although I had no signs of being sarcastic itself, one would think the ridiculous concept put forth would be enough for that.

In my opinion, these people should have been classified as a menace a long time ago. Good riddance.
My nation is a Corporate-Based Conglomerate of East Asian Nations founded in the wake of WWII. Just though I'd let ya know.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General