NATION

PASSWORD

Pirates... as in Argh, matey

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 am

Screensaver wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:As usual, ninjas show their supremacy over pirates.

I thought that ninjas were Korean, not Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja

Screensaver
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Screensaver » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Screensaver wrote:
I thought that ninjas were Korean, not Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja

I stand corrected.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Kushtor wrote:Slaughtering highly intelligent animals with the intent of eating them is not 'scientific research'; Japan's lies are as pathetic as its insults.
Combined with Sea Shepherd being pirate fans at most, I don't see the problem here.

why are stupid animals somehow inferior to intelligent ones? what rights do a whale have that a cow doesn't? They are both living breathing creatures.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Novaya Tselinoyarsk
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novaya Tselinoyarsk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Kushtor wrote:Slaughtering highly intelligent animals with the intent of eating them is not 'scientific research'; Japan's lies are as pathetic as its insults.
Combined with Sea Shepherd being pirate fans at most, I don't see the problem here.

why are stupid animals somehow inferior to intelligent ones? what rights do a whale have that a cow doesn't? They are both living breathing creatures.

Cows are tastier, obviously.
Proletariacka Rzeczpospolita Nowy Tselinoyarsk
Proletarskaya Respubliki Novaya Tselinoyarsk

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:57 pm

the one thing i forgot to mention.

While i dont think what the sea shepards do is piracy, (even though the law says it is). After the first attempt of the sea shepard to use prop foulers on the japanese whalers, which if sucessfull would disable the ship in some pretty bad sea's. i would be OK with the whalers sinking the sea shepard boats in self defense.

Also it would make much better television.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 pm

People are attempting to halt an unacceptable practice by sabatoging instruments of death. Such individuals are not pirates, but simply willing to go outside of a legal system that protects monsters. If the Sea Shepards are criminals, then it is the law that is flawed, not them.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

America Resurgent
Envoy

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby America Resurgent » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Threlizdun wrote:People are attempting to halt an unacceptable practice by sabatoging instruments of death. Such individuals are not pirates, but simply willing to go outside of a legal system that protects monsters. If the Sea Shepards are criminals, then it is the law that is flawed, not them.

High levels of agreement in principle, though the methods that Sea Shepard used were bad from a purely practical standpoint, on the sole basis that they weren't exactly going to make a real dent.
America if it didn't get involved in Word War I. And the Marxist ideal of violent revolution was carried out more heavily. And Hoover was assassinated. And loads of other things that eventually lead to fascism.
(But no, not a fascist)
Galloism wrote:What an awful and sick disregard for human life.
Why can't they play call of duty or grand theft auto like normal people?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Threlizdun wrote:People are attempting to halt an unacceptable practice by sabatoging instruments of death. Such individuals are not pirates, but simply willing to go outside of a legal system that protects monsters. If the Sea Shepards are criminals, then it is the law that is flawed, not them.

what makes a whale special? its just a big sea cow? why is it ok to eat the stupid and not the smart?

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

America Resurgent
Envoy

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby America Resurgent » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:18 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
what makes a whale special? its just a big sea cow? why is it ok to eat the stupid and not the smart?

It's okay to eat neither, in my view.
America if it didn't get involved in Word War I. And the Marxist ideal of violent revolution was carried out more heavily. And Hoover was assassinated. And loads of other things that eventually lead to fascism.
(But no, not a fascist)
Galloism wrote:What an awful and sick disregard for human life.
Why can't they play call of duty or grand theft auto like normal people?

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:19 pm

America Resurgent wrote:High levels of agreement in principle, though the methods that Sea Shepard used were bad from a purely practical standpoint, on the sole basis that they weren't exactly going to make a real dent.
No, sadly they won't. However, the fact that they are actually willing to go out and directly combat this rather than simply waving placards outside of government building is something I can appreciate. They are not the best strategies, though they at least have done more than simple protest.
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

I don't believe it is ever appropriate to inflict harm upon entities capable of suffering unless the act prevents greater suffering from being inflicted.
She/they

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Good. I want to see navy seals shooting those self-righteous mother fuckers.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:28 pm

America Resurgent wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

if you are a vegetarian, and do not wear leather at least its a consistent argument and i can respect that. I dont agree with it, but i respect your point of view. If your not, i have a problem with people who want to protect whales

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
I don't believe it is ever appropriate to inflict harm upon entities capable of suffering unless the act prevents greater suffering from being inflicted.

if you are a vegetarian, i respect your opinion.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
America Resurgent wrote:

if you are a vegetarian, and do not wear leather at least its a consistent argument and i can respect that. I dont agree with it, but i respect your point of view. If your not, i have a problem with people who want to protect whales

I'm still not convinced we need whales.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Goddammit. As soon as I read or hear the word "Whalers" that futurama song plays in my head.
EVERY time. It won't stop!!
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Goddammit. As soon as I read or hear the word "Whalers" that futurama song plays in my head.

At first I didn't know what you were talking about. Then I realized what you were talking about. And now it's happening to me. And now I hate you.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Goddammit. As soon as I read or hear the word "Whalers" that futurama song plays in my head.

At first I didn't know what you were talking about. Then I realized what you were talking about. And now it's happening to me. And now I hate you.

Good. Spread the hatred. We can't suffer alone.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:10 am

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
New Octopucta wrote:When you're trying to stop whaling by sinking the whaling ships and thereby killing the people on them, then yes you're a fucking menace.

Sinking =/= killing. All of those ram/kill markings on the Sea Shepherd boats were achieved nonlethally. You ever hear of...lifeboats? Or the fact that these whaling vessels almost always sail in groups, so the likelihood of actual drowning is basically nil?
If they were trying to kill people, then they wouldn't pussyfoot around with ramming. Basic logic.

New Octopucta wrote:When you attack a search and rescue operation, and don't assist them after you've fucked it up, you're a menace.

Incompetence and mistaken identity don't equal piracy.
New Octopucta wrote:Not to mention how embarrassing this is to people who are really doing something to end whaling.

Like what? Politely asking the Japanese to stop (because that's about all anyone cares to do)? Yeah, that's worked for the last 40 years. Oh wait, it hasn't.
Sometimes, to make an omelet, you've gotta break a few eggs, and I have little sympathy for Japanese whalers massacring intelligent mammals out of some bizarre, pointless, atavistic nationalism.
New Octopucta wrote:Whaling is a bad thing, but there are right ways to go about ending it, and there are wrong ways to go about ending it. Sea Shepherds is is the wrong.

More like there are effective ways to go about it, and ineffective ways.
SS has done more than almost anyone else in terms of drawing attention to the issue and making it difficult for the Japanese to just brush the issue aside.

A ship sinking in those waters could mean a death sentence for the crew within minutes (due to the temperature of the water), so intentionally ramming a ship in those waters is a very bad idea.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

DogDoo 7
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby DogDoo 7 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:22 am

Des-Bal wrote:

But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales and sing our whaling tune!
Last edited by DogDoo 7 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just ask this scientician--Troy McClure

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:43 am

Des-Bal wrote:Good. I want to see navy seals shooting those self-righteous mother fuckers.

I'd rather see the JSDF or the whalers light up the bridges of the SS vessels with FN303s. Let's see how well the SS can ram a whaling ship when they can't see due to OC powder.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General