NATION

PASSWORD

The Bible and Hell

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Does 'Hell' exist in the Bible?

No, it isn't even mentioned.
10
8%
Maybe not 'Hell', but rather a form of temporary punishment after death.
14
11%
Yes, the Bible unquestionably provides teaching on Hell and eternal damnation.
36
30%
Hell exists solely for the French when they die.
33
27%
I'm just here for the ponies.
29
24%
 
Total votes : 122

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33353
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menassa » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

Zweite Alaje wrote:
Menassa wrote:Unless of course you believe... God wrote the Text....


I don't.

Understandable.
-NS's one and only Tanna!
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
The NS Steam Thread
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
Nu Sparta
Minister
 
Posts: 2106
Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nu Sparta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Even when I was Christian I never truly believed in hell as a place of fire and physical torment. The OP has now given me great factual information to defend myself with in debates with my more "Blind-Faith" friends. Personally I hate the idea of "Blind-Faith". If you walk down a path full of obstacles with your eyes closed your going to hit something yes? As a Neo-Pagan I try to live through my beliefs with open eyes. I trust in my beliefs, but if I saw a hole in the road I would stop and contemplate why it was there and what made it, attempt to fix it even before making my way around it.
Last edited by Nu Sparta on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10293
Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 am

Nu Sparta wrote:Even when I was Christian I never truly believed in hell as a place of fire and physical torment. The OP has now given me great factual information to defend myself with in debates with my more "Blind-Faith" friends. Personally I hate the idea of "Blind-Faith". If you walk down a path full of obstacles with your eyes closed your going to hit something yes? As a Neo-Pagan I try to live through my beliefs with open eyes. I trust in my beliefs, but if I saw a hole in the road I would stop and contemplate why it was there and what made it, attempt to fix it even before making my way around it.

Glad to have been of service.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

User avatar
Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12073
Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:11 am

You're missing other places in the Bible where other dysphemisms or hyperbole is used to describe Hell and/or the Devil.

Which is, according to your logic, more proof that Hell doesn't exist.

Because the authors of the Bible used hyperbole.

Gotcha.

User avatar
Meryuma
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14922
Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 am

Distruzio wrote: The Church is infallible.


How come infallible organizations always seem to change their doctrines over time?
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.


In layman's terms, orgy time.


Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.


Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."


Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.



Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

User avatar
Xlanar
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 182
Founded: Dec 01, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Xlanar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:36 am

I find this interesting, because in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, aka Mormons, (I know, not everyone considers Mormons to be Christian) there is no hell in the conventional sense. The stage of life immediately after death is the Pre-Judgment. Spirits go to one of two places (generally called Spirit Paradise and Spirit Prison, but I dislike those names because of the false impression they give) they penitent and righteous in one side and the unrighteous and non-believers in the other. Pretty similar to the concepts of Heaven and Hell right? However, instead of eternal paradise/damnation, the ones who are clean of their sins go to visit the others as missionaries, to teach to those that either rejected the gospel or never got the chance to learn. Those that have sins and have not repented are given the chance to overcome and repent. These realms are considered to be the same place, just with the first group on one half and the second group on the other half.

This is similar to the 'Pit' in one of the verses you referenced, with both the righteous and the unrighteous. In LDS doctrine the concepts of 'refiners fire' or something similar is quite common as well.

In the LDS bible dictionary it talks about some of the same things you were describing

Hell. An English translation of the Hebrew word Sheol, hell signifies an abode of departed spirits and corresponds to the Greek Hades. In common speech it generally denotes the place of torment for the wicked, although it has been often held, both in the Jewish and the Christian churches, that Hades (meaning broadly the place of all departed spirits) consists of two parts, paradise and Gehenna, one the abode of the righteous and the other of the disobedient.
...In latter-day revelation hell is spoken of in at least two senses. One is the temporary abode in the spirit world of those who were disobedient in this mortal life. It is between death and the resurrection.
...On the other hand, the devil and his angels are assigned to a place spoken of as a lake of fire—a figure of eternal anguish. This condition is sometimes called hell in the scriptures (2 Pet. 2:4; D&C 29:38; 88:113). This kind of hell, which is after the resurrection and judgment, is exclusively for the devil and his angels, and is not the same as that consisting only of the period between death and resurrection. The one group are redeemed from hell and inherit some degree of glory. The other receive no glory. They continue in spiritual darkness. For them the conditions of hell remain.


In the LDS Church, we believe in a benevolent God, who gives all of his children the opportunity to be the best they can. He doesn't want to condemn anyone to eternal damnation, especially if they never got the chance to choose the right.

So, 'Hell' is definitely in the Bible, but it is not a place of everlasting torment for the unrighteous.
Last edited by Xlanar on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half of histories greatest miseries were inflicted by simple barbarism. The other half were inflicted by utopians.

Sergeant in The Black Hawks
Once a Hawk, always a Hawk

User avatar
The Archregimancy
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22758
Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 am

I see no particular reason to spend time on a thread that takes such a narrowly Augustinian version of Hell (especially since The Realm of God has already beaten me to posting about apocatstasis).

I'll just refer the OP to my previously expressed opinion on the latter, which can be found in Farnhamia's sig.

User avatar
Queen Elizabeth Landia
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: Feb 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Queen Elizabeth Landia » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:54 am

Awww, all the Christians getting so upset and wound up by something that doesn't even exist. It's cute.

User avatar
CTALNH
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9596
Founded: Jul 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby CTALNH » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:26 am

I propose we all go watch darkmatter2525 on youtube!

Who is with me?
"This guy is a State socialist, which doesn't so much mean mass murder and totalitarianism as it means trying to have a strong state to lead the way out of poverty and towards a bright future. Strict state control of the economy is necessary to make the great leap forward into that brighter future, and all elements of society must be sure to contribute or else."
Economic Left/Right: -9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.64
Lawful Neutral/Lawful Evil half and half.
Authoritarian Extreme Leftist because fuck pre-existing Ideologies.
"Epicus Doomicus Metallicus"
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.
T.I.F: Trans Inclusionary Feminist

User avatar
Gideus
Minister
 
Posts: 2113
Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gideus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 am

See, crap like this (especially the mistranslations) is why I'm glad that I'm a Reform Jew (by tradition). We don't believe in Hell. Problem solved.
Political Compass(12/18/12)
Economic Left: 5.75
Social Libertarian: 6.87
This represents my nation, Gideus, as well as me.

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Everything you said is perfect.

Those who ignore history's lessons in the ultimate folly of war are forced to do more than relive them ... they may be forced to die by them. - Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion

My opinion on feminism, MRA movements, and other similar movements.
I DO NOT use NS statistics, unless specifically requested to do so for individual RPs. Rest assured I will not godmod, I will use logic.

User avatar
Ashkland
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 405
Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ashkland » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:35 am

I don't know about christianity much, but in Judaism, "Gan Eden" (Heaven) and "Gehenom" (Hell), is not an afterlife thing.
In fact, the word "Hell" (Both in English and Hebrew) comes from the word "Gehenna", it is a place where children were sacrificed to Moloch.
Political test:
A bourgeouis nationalist:
85% Nationalistic
79% Reactionary
Economic Issues: Socialist/Capitalist/Moderate
Domestic Issues: Libertarian/Authoritarian/Moderate
Foreign Policy Issues: Isolationist/Interventionist/Moderate
Warfare Issues: Diplomat/Militarist/Moderate
Social/Cultural Issues: Progressive/Traditionalist/Moderate
Religious Issues: Secular/Dominionist/Moderate
Change Issues: Revolutionary/Conservative/Moderate

User avatar
Gideus
Minister
 
Posts: 2113
Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gideus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:35 am

The Archregimancy wrote:I see no particular reason to spend time on a thread that takes such a narrowly Augustinian version of Hell (especially since The Realm of God has already beaten me to posting about apocatstasis).

I'll just refer the OP to my previously expressed opinion on the latter, which can be found in Farnhamia's sig.


Arch, my good sir...

Are you suggesting that there are cats in hell?

I didn't actually read back through the conversation. Shoot me.
Last edited by Gideus on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass(12/18/12)
Economic Left: 5.75
Social Libertarian: 6.87
This represents my nation, Gideus, as well as me.

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Everything you said is perfect.

Those who ignore history's lessons in the ultimate folly of war are forced to do more than relive them ... they may be forced to die by them. - Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion

My opinion on feminism, MRA movements, and other similar movements.
I DO NOT use NS statistics, unless specifically requested to do so for individual RPs. Rest assured I will not godmod, I will use logic.

User avatar
The Archregimancy
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 22758
Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:38 am

Gideus wrote:
The Archregimancy wrote:I see no particular reason to spend time on a thread that takes such a narrowly Augustinian version of Hell (especially since The Realm of God has already beaten me to posting about apocatstasis).

I'll just refer the OP to my previously expressed opinion on the latter, which can be found in Farnhamia's sig.


Arch, my good sir...

Are you suggesting that there are cats in hell?

I didn't actually read back through the conversation. Shoot me.


No - I'm suggesting that Hell looks like an apothecary, obviously.

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33353
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menassa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 am

Ashkland wrote:I don't know about christianity much, but in Judaism, "Gan Eden" (Heaven) and "Gehenom" (Hell), is not an afterlife thing.
In fact, the word "Hell" (Both in English and Hebrew) comes from the word "Gehenna", it is a place where children were sacrificed to Moloch.

Gan Eden... was a human description for heaven.. there is a physical and spiritual place... so to with Gehonim.
-NS's one and only Tanna!
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
The NS Steam Thread
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
Gideus
Minister
 
Posts: 2113
Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gideus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:52 am

The Archregimancy wrote:
Gideus wrote:
Arch, my good sir...

Are you suggesting that there are cats in hell?

I didn't actually read back through the conversation. Shoot me.


No - I'm suggesting that Hell looks like an apothecary, obviously.


Apothecaries are never complete without a few brooding black cats. You can't get your apothecary license without two or three, at the least.

In all seriousness, I think the idea of Hell is pretty silly. I also think that it was never in the original Bible(s). "Hell" in a "traditional" sense was not in the Torah to my knowledge, which was a large portion of the Bible in its early days (right? Not exactly the most informed on this.). Demons were not even the minions of whatever reigned in hell, they were simply the unfinished creatures that God never wanted to complete. I find it hard to believe that, knowing this, a "Hell" was ever intended to be in the Bible and I find it much more likely that it was adopted from the varied pagan beliefs throughout the Mediterranean and Europe - be it Hel from the Scandinavians/Germanic tribes or Hades from the Greeks (Pluto from the Romans), as many other traditions and beliefs in Christianity and all of its various forms were.
Political Compass(12/18/12)
Economic Left: 5.75
Social Libertarian: 6.87
This represents my nation, Gideus, as well as me.

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Everything you said is perfect.

Those who ignore history's lessons in the ultimate folly of war are forced to do more than relive them ... they may be forced to die by them. - Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion

My opinion on feminism, MRA movements, and other similar movements.
I DO NOT use NS statistics, unless specifically requested to do so for individual RPs. Rest assured I will not godmod, I will use logic.

User avatar
The Kal Empire
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 103
Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kal Empire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:04 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote: In Christianity, this ‘damnation’ is supposed to be the punishment for refusing Christ and failing to repent one’s wrongdoing (or sin) against God.


Incorrect.

A sin is a wrongdoing of any kind, that is punished by God.

Murder, for example, is not sinning against God, but it is sinning, and therefor one would be sent to the fiery pits of Hell for eternal damnation.

Sinning against God would be more like urinating on a Church wall.

User avatar
Gideus
Minister
 
Posts: 2113
Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gideus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:10 am

The Kal Empire wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote: In Christianity, this ‘damnation’ is supposed to be the punishment for refusing Christ and failing to repent one’s wrongdoing (or sin) against God.


Incorrect.

A sin is a wrongdoing of any kind, that is punished by God.

Murder, for example, is not sinning against God, but it is sinning, and therefor one would be sent to the fiery pits of Hell for eternal damnation.

Sinning against God would be more like urinating on a Church wall.


:meh:

That's a crime against God? You'd think he'd have tougher skin.
Political Compass(12/18/12)
Economic Left: 5.75
Social Libertarian: 6.87
This represents my nation, Gideus, as well as me.

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Everything you said is perfect.

Those who ignore history's lessons in the ultimate folly of war are forced to do more than relive them ... they may be forced to die by them. - Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion

My opinion on feminism, MRA movements, and other similar movements.
I DO NOT use NS statistics, unless specifically requested to do so for individual RPs. Rest assured I will not godmod, I will use logic.

User avatar
Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10293
Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 am

The Archregimancy wrote:I see no particular reason to spend time on a thread that takes such a narrowly Augustinian version of Hell (especially since The Realm of God has already beaten me to posting about apocatstasis).

I'll just refer the OP to my previously expressed opinion on the latter, which can be found in Farnhamia's sig.

I was merely pointing out that the Bible makes no reference to a hell in which the 'wicked' suffer for all eternity, which is the commonly held perspective of a typical Christian.

The Kal Empire wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote: In Christianity, this ‘damnation’ is supposed to be the punishment for refusing Christ and failing to repent one’s wrongdoing (or sin) against God.


Incorrect.

A sin is a wrongdoing of any kind, that is punished by God.

Murder, for example, is not sinning against God, but it is sinning, and therefor one would be sent to the fiery pits of Hell for eternal damnation.

Sinning against God would be more like urinating on a Church wall.

Murder is sinning against God, it's the unjustified killing of one of his creations (that he claims to love).
Last edited by Nationalist State of Knox on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

User avatar
Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23841
Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 am

Meryuma wrote:
Distruzio wrote: The Church is infallible.


How come infallible organizations always seem to change their doctrines over time?



They haven't been changed.
Eastern Orthodox Christian

Anti-Progressive
Conservative

Anti-Feminist
Right leaning Distributist

Anti-Equity
Western Chauvanist

Anti-Globalism
Nationalist

User avatar
Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10293
Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:04 am

Distruzio wrote:
Meryuma wrote:
How come infallible organizations always seem to change their doctrines over time?



They haven't been changed.

I have an additional question, is the Church infallible only on matters of the Bible, or does it cover other areas as well?
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

User avatar
Death Metal
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13542
Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:05 am

All of you are wrong.

The Bible is actually the story of the only infallible man: Frank Castle, the Punisher.

And "Hell" was just a metaphor for Riker's Island.

There, now you'll see that everything about anything makes sense.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

User avatar
Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23841
Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:09 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
I'd say that the limitations demonstrate the faith and trust of Jesus in the men He authorized. Then again, I'm not an antitheist, like you are.

It seems that this has become a matter of belief rather than logic. As far as I am concerned, unless Jesus directly authorised Peter's successors, they were illegitimate. Therefore, as a consequence, the Church's authority is illegitimate, which means that only men can interpret the Bible, thus rendering your entire argument invalid and my OP wholly valid.


Incorrect. It does become a matter of belief, as you point out, but belief is not absent logic.

For instance... if I see that the sky is blue in non-rainy areas with white clouds within the visual limitations of my line of sight, then assuming that the sky outside the visual limitations of my line of sight is also blue in non-rainy areas with white clouds is, indeed, a belief made within reason and logic.

If I see that Jesus appointed Peter and the other apostles as legitimate heirs to His authority, even though they were repeatedly chastised by Jesus for lacking faith at times or for being obtuse at other times, then I cannot be criticized for also believing that the men those chosen directly by Jesus were also legitimate heirs to His authority. Furthermore, if it was the men authorized by the apostles who created the Bible after having created the Church, then I cannot be criticized for reasonably assuming that I should defer to their interpretation of the Holy Scriptures on all matters as I was never authorized by anyone to interpret the scripture.

Moreover, your reasoning here fails to consider the fact that Jesus pointed out that He was the Head of the Church and that the believers were the Body of Christ. Meaning that those men you now attempt to cast doubt on were, in fact, chosen by the Head of the Church as it was the Church, comprised of fallen and men of frailty, who chose them, to speak with His authority.
Eastern Orthodox Christian

Anti-Progressive
Conservative

Anti-Feminist
Right leaning Distributist

Anti-Equity
Western Chauvanist

Anti-Globalism
Nationalist

User avatar
Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23841
Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

They haven't been changed.

I have an additional question, is the Church infallible only on matters of the Bible, or does it cover other areas as well?



Only on matters of scriptural interpretation, of spiritual discernment, of worship, and of living within the fallen world properly Christian.
Eastern Orthodox Christian

Anti-Progressive
Conservative

Anti-Feminist
Right leaning Distributist

Anti-Equity
Western Chauvanist

Anti-Globalism
Nationalist

User avatar
Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10293
Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:32 am

Distruzio wrote:
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:It seems that this has become a matter of belief rather than logic. As far as I am concerned, unless Jesus directly authorised Peter's successors, they were illegitimate. Therefore, as a consequence, the Church's authority is illegitimate, which means that only men can interpret the Bible, thus rendering your entire argument invalid and my OP wholly valid.


Incorrect. It does become a matter of belief, as you point out, but belief is not absent logic.

For instance... if I see that the sky is blue in non-rainy areas with white clouds within the visual limitations of my line of sight, then assuming that the sky outside the visual limitations of my line of sight is also blue in non-rainy areas with white clouds is, indeed, a belief made within reason and logic.

If I see that Jesus appointed Peter and the other apostles as legitimate heirs to His authority, even though they were repeatedly chastised by Jesus for lacking faith at times or for being obtuse at other times, then I cannot be criticized for also believing that the men those chosen directly by Jesus were also legitimate heirs to His authority. Furthermore, if it was the men authorized by the apostles who created the Bible after having created the Church, then I cannot be criticized for reasonably assuming that I should defer to their interpretation of the Holy Scriptures on all matters as I was never authorized by anyone to interpret the scripture.

Moreover, your reasoning here fails to consider the fact that Jesus pointed out that He was the Head of the Church and that the believers were the Body of Christ. Meaning that those men you now attempt to cast doubt on were, in fact, chosen by the Head of the Church as it was the Church, comprised of fallen and men of frailty, who chose them, to speak with His authority.

But the fact that Jesus neglected to say that Peter's successors were a legitimate authority to interpret the Bible doesn't mean that we should assume that they were. If anything, we should assume the opposite.

It's like suggesting that because I pass an item onto my friend when I die, I want their son to have it when they die.
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

User avatar
Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 23841
Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:45 am

Nationalist State of Knox wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Incorrect. It does become a matter of belief, as you point out, but belief is not absent logic.

For instance... if I see that the sky is blue in non-rainy areas with white clouds within the visual limitations of my line of sight, then assuming that the sky outside the visual limitations of my line of sight is also blue in non-rainy areas with white clouds is, indeed, a belief made within reason and logic.

If I see that Jesus appointed Peter and the other apostles as legitimate heirs to His authority, even though they were repeatedly chastised by Jesus for lacking faith at times or for being obtuse at other times, then I cannot be criticized for also believing that the men those chosen directly by Jesus were also legitimate heirs to His authority. Furthermore, if it was the men authorized by the apostles who created the Bible after having created the Church, then I cannot be criticized for reasonably assuming that I should defer to their interpretation of the Holy Scriptures on all matters as I was never authorized by anyone to interpret the scripture.

Moreover, your reasoning here fails to consider the fact that Jesus pointed out that He was the Head of the Church and that the believers were the Body of Christ. Meaning that those men you now attempt to cast doubt on were, in fact, chosen by the Head of the Church as it was the Church, comprised of fallen and men of frailty, who chose them, to speak with His authority.

But the fact that Jesus neglected to say that Peter's successors were a legitimate authority to interpret the Bible doesn't mean that we should assume that they were. If anything, we should assume the opposite.

It's like suggesting that because I pass an item onto my friend when I die, I want their son to have it when they die.


Jesus isn't dead. He yet lives, is the point.
Eastern Orthodox Christian

Anti-Progressive
Conservative

Anti-Feminist
Right leaning Distributist

Anti-Equity
Western Chauvanist

Anti-Globalism
Nationalist

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balican, Billuria, Bogan Laker, Cannot think of a name, Crylante, Czechoslovakia and Zakarpattia, Daotan, Fartsniffage, Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States, Heloin, Ifreann, Internationalist Bastard, Kenmoria, Len Hyet, Majestic-12 [Bot], Nea Byzantia, North German Realm, Northern Soil, Novus America, Oile Islands, Ors Might, Philjia, Puldania, Reydonia, Rhegeddia, Saranidia, Selissu, Skarten, The blAAtschApen, The Galactic Liberal Democracy, Vassenor, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads