NATION

PASSWORD

Your opinion of transgender people

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

You are?

Cisgender, supportive of trans* people, recognize only two genders
21%
Cisgender, supportive of trans* people, recognize more than two genders
37%
Cisgender, unsupportive of trans* people
21%
Cisgender, indifferent
11%
Transgender, recognize only two genders
2%
Transgender, recognize more than two genders
9%

Total votes : 546

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Grenartia wrote:The last thread got locked due to trolling (hint: try to be respectful in this thread, folks), but Tsar has allowed a successor thread.

So, NSG, are you supportive of trans* people? Do you recognize only two genders? Are you trans*?

As a genderqueer person, I am trans (therefore I am supportive), and by definition, recognize more than two genders.

EDIT: Changed some terminology.

EDIT 2:
Clarification of some terms:
You are cisgender if your gender identity matches your physical sex.
Supportive, in this context, refers to supporting the rights of trans* people to be trans*, to go through transition, etc.

I will be as kind to a Trans* person as I am to any other person, which means that I will be kind to them as long as they don't bring hate on me.

However, first motherfrakker that starts with the "Die Cis Scum" shit is going to discover that a man in a wheelchair is still quite a capable warrior.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:21 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Grenartia wrote:The last thread got locked due to trolling (hint: try to be respectful in this thread, folks), but Tsar has allowed a successor thread.

So, NSG, are you supportive of trans* people? Do you recognize only two genders? Are you trans*?

As a genderqueer person, I am trans (therefore I am supportive), and by definition, recognize more than two genders.

EDIT: Changed some terminology.

EDIT 2:
Clarification of some terms:
You are cisgender if your gender identity matches your physical sex.
Supportive, in this context, refers to supporting the rights of trans* people to be trans*, to go through transition, etc.

I will be as kind to a Trans* person as I am to any other person, which means that I will be kind to them as long as they don't bring hate on me.

However, first motherfrakker that starts with the "Die Cis Scum" shit is going to discover that a man in a wheelchair is still quite a capable warrior.

Is Cis a term of abuse? Discuss.
*dives into the bomb shelter.*
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:21 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:I will be as kind to a Trans* person as I am to any other person, which means that I will be kind to them as long as they don't bring hate on me.

It really doesn't mean what you think it means.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I will be as kind to a Trans* person as I am to any other person, which means that I will be kind to them as long as they don't bring hate on me.

All I know is it is irritating to try and explain how these people are quite simply people when in the background Character K is swanning about in goth makeup swinging a placard with "Die Cis Scum" on it.

It doesn't allow for rational conversation.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Is Cis a term of abuse? Discuss.
*dives into the bomb shelter.*

No more than "Trans*" is. It's descriptive of the person's orientation.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

All I know is it is irritating to try and explain how these people are quite simply people when in the background Character K is swanning about in goth makeup swinging a placard with "Die Cis Scum" on it.

What significant number of people are running around saying "die cis scum"?
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:25 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

Oh sure there are lots of idiots who take up the advocacy.

But to quote the actual original post:

It’s not ironic. It’s not cute. It is a threat.

How many people are murdered because they are cis? How many people are denied employment, housing, health services, turned away from shelters, refused aid, and are subjected to constant ridicule and abuse because they are cis?

If you are cis, do my tattoo and jacket make you feel uncomfortable? I can only hope so.

Right now, when I see a cis person in public, I worry. I tense and hold my breath and get ready to sprint away. You frighten me. This fear is entirely justified. I’ve already been sent to the hospital for the crime of walking down the sidewalk towards my home while visibly gender variant. I fully expect to be attacked again, severely. (The less severe attacks, the screams and threats and disapproval and hatred and thrust elbows and shoves, these are the givens. These are part of the cost I know I will be forced to pay if I wish to leave my house.)

Die cis scum. It is hostile. It’s aggression, on my part. It is a whisper of personal agency. When the cissexism and transphobia of this culture crush in, overwhelming and unstoppable, these three words are how I push back.

Would that I could push harder.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:29 pm

I am "cis". I really don't think "trans" truly exists. You are (unfortunately) stuck with what you got born with, and all your #23 chromosomes say the same. To think otherwise, is, IMHO, fooling yourself. Of course, people can do what they like, believe what they like, it's their biznis.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Coccygia wrote:I am "cis". I really don't think "trans" truly exists. You are (unfortunately) stuck with what you got born with, and all your #23 chromosomes say the same. To think otherwise, is, IMHO, fooling yourself. Of course, people can do what they like, believe what they like, it's their biznis.

Haven't you heard about X0, XXY, etc.
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Nadkor wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:All I know is it is irritating to try and explain how these people are quite simply people when in the background Character K is swanning about in goth makeup swinging a placard with "Die Cis Scum" on it.

What significant number of people are running around saying "die cis scum"?

I live near Portland, Oregon. You'd be amazed.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:All I know is it is irritating to try and explain how these people are quite simply people when in the background Character K is swanning about in goth makeup swinging a placard with "Die Cis Scum" on it.

Oh sure there are lots of idiots who take up the advocacy.

But to quote the actual original post:

It’s not ironic. It’s not cute. It is a threat.

How many people are murdered because they are cis? How many people are denied employment, housing, health services, turned away from shelters, refused aid, and are subjected to constant ridicule and abuse because they are cis?

If you are cis, do my tattoo and jacket make you feel uncomfortable? I can only hope so.

Right now, when I see a cis person in public, I worry. I tense and hold my breath and get ready to sprint away. You frighten me. This fear is entirely justified. I’ve already been sent to the hospital for the crime of walking down the sidewalk towards my home while visibly gender variant. I fully expect to be attacked again, severely. (The less severe attacks, the screams and threats and disapproval and hatred and thrust elbows and shoves, these are the givens. These are part of the cost I know I will be forced to pay if I wish to leave my house.)

Die cis scum. It is hostile. It’s aggression, on my part. It is a whisper of personal agency. When the cissexism and transphobia of this culture crush in, overwhelming and unstoppable, these three words are how I push back.

Would that I could push harder.

Ok, this is coming from someone who's lost legs in a war, so once again please remember that this is my prism of viewing things and not a personal attack on your character or personal identity:

That's pointless aggression.

You cannot solve social issues with violent means, and expect peaceful results. MLK Jr., Gandhi, and more have proven that peaceful protest removes the rubric of escalated response from the hands of the government. There is no faster way to get the world on your side than to sit there peacefully while "Teh Gubmint" bullies, oppresses, and acts against your best interests.

I understand that anger can be empowering, but that's all it is, anger. Anger gets you through the moment, peace gets you through the movement.

If you say things like "Die!" you are standing there giving all the ammunition the "normies" need to respond with aggression. Does it suck? Absolutely. I can't go into certain buildings because they don't have a god damn ramp, I can't get angry with people because I'm a white male, and LORD HELP ME if I lose my cool. We, all of us, have our shit to deal with, some (like Trans* folk) have more of it to deal with than others. It is not fair, it is not right. But I can not condone allowing fear and anger to control progress for this, any more than I can allow fear and anger to control people with the sudden "Islam Rising" paranoia.

It's just not in my character archetype to allow fear and paranoia to win.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:33 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Coccygia wrote:I am "cis". I really don't think "trans" truly exists. You are (unfortunately) stuck with what you got born with, and all your #23 chromosomes say the same. To think otherwise, is, IMHO, fooling yourself. Of course, people can do what they like, believe what they like, it's their biznis.

I scored X-triple Y-double X once but the referees said my foot was over the line. :(
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

I scored X-triple Y-double X once but the referees said my foot was over the line. :(

I suggest using a better Nintendo controller.
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:35 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:

Triple X, XYY, etc.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:40 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:There are, more or less, three definitions of sex used in biology: genetic sex, gonadal sex, and phenotypic sex.

Genetic sex is the ~chromosomes~ one. In mammals, the Y chromosome normally contains a gene named SRY, which is the main trigger that causes a fetus to begin developing along a male pathway. Occasionally, due to random errors in the process of copying DNA, an SRY gene can fall off a Y chromosome or even jump over to an X chromosome: this is one of the ways you get people with XX chromosomes who develop physically as male, or people with XY chromosomes who develop physically as female. (There are other ways too, related to other genetic or environmental factors.) Now, the thing about genetic sex is that it's not actually used all that often by working biologists outside of the field of molecular genetics -- there's usually no point looking at chromosomes if what you're interested in is anatomy or biochemistry. So chromosomal sex is by no means the final word on whether we call an organism "male" or "female".

Gonadal sex is probably the one that gets used most often by biologists when they're identifying whether the unfortunate little critter they've just dissected is male or female: it's whether an animal has testes, ovaries, or something in between. While we don't yet have the technology to give trans women ovaries or trans men testes, long-term hormone therapy does render the birth gonads mostly non-functional, and of course they can also be surgically removed.

Phenotypic sex is the one that's of most interest to you and me in our daily lives. It refers to the development of sexually dimorphic characteristics, such as genital organs, and facial and body hair. It's mostly influenced by sex hormones, and there's a great deal that modern medicine can do to bring a trans person's sexual characteristics closer to their target sex than their birth sex. Phenotypic sex is just as biologically valid a definition of sex as the other two, and unless you're planning to either perform medical procedures on someone or have kids with them, it's the only one that's likely to have much relevance to you when you interact with other people.

Finally, we humans add an extra layer on top of all this, which we call gender. Gender includes all of the standards that are used in a society to differentiate men from women (and other genders, in cultures or subcultures that recognise more than two genders). Some of the characteristics by which people are categorised into one gender or another are related to phenotypic sex, but others are purely behavioural -- dress, grooming and so on.

So when it comes to how we decide whether to call someone a man or a woman, chromosomes are really a very small part of the story. After all, societies were categorising people into genders long before chromosomes were even discovered, and we easily discern whether people are men or women every day without it even occurring to us to look at their chromosomes first.

Stop being terrible at basic high school biology.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:41 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Ok, this is coming from someone who's lost legs in a war, so once again please remember that this is my prism of viewing things and not a personal attack on your character or personal identity:

You cannot solve social issues with violent means, and expect peaceful results. MLK Jr., Gandhi, and more have proven that peaceful protest removes the rubric of escalated response from the hands of the government. There is no faster way to get the world on your side than to sit there peacefully while "Teh Gubmint" bullies, oppresses, and acts against your best interests.

I understand that anger can be empowering, but that's all it is, anger. Anger gets you through the moment, peace gets you through the movement.

If you say things like "Die!" you are standing there giving all the ammunition the "normies" need to respond with aggression. Does it suck? Absolutely. I can't go into certain buildings because they don't have a god damn ramp, I can't get angry with people because I'm a white male, and LORD HELP ME if I lose my cool. We, all of us, have our shit to deal with, some (like Trans* folk) have more of it to deal with than others. It is not fair, it is not right. But I can not condone allowing fear and anger to control progress for this, any more than I can allow fear and anger to control people with the sudden "Islam Rising" paranoia.

I don't think I necessarily disagree with that at all. Indeed, it's not really my place to. I will say though that there's a lot of mischaracterization towards the whole 'die cis scum' sentiment however, but I do see your points.
Last edited by The Steel Magnolia on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:42 pm

(oops)
Last edited by Coccygia on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:42 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

I don't think I necessarily disagree with that at all. I will say though that there's a lot of mischaracterization towards the sentiment.

Stupid quote machine being broken.

I don't doubt that there is. Misunderstandings, unfortunately, rule the day with regards to sex and gender in North America.

Union of Democratic Socialists
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Democratic Socialists » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:45 pm

?

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:

I have indeed but these are pretty rare conditions, and have little relevance overall...just trying to keep to the main point.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Union of Democratic Socialists wrote:?

How helpful.

TED, I also edited my response to you a little bit. Nothing substantive though.

Union of Democratic Socialists
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Democratic Socialists » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm

In chase if anyone asks, this is my opinion.

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Coccygia wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

I have indeed but these are pretty rare conditions, and have little relevance overall...just trying to keep to the main point.

How about you respond to what I said, mm?

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:48 pm

How helpful.

TED, I also edited my response to you a little bit. Nothing substantive though.

Dig it. I'm leery of the movement, but as always I listen to people with more knowledge than I.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:48 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:There are, more or less, three definitions of sex used in biology: genetic sex, gonadal sex, and phenotypic sex.

Genetic sex is the ~chromosomes~ one. In mammals, the Y chromosome normally contains a gene named SRY, which is the main trigger that causes a fetus to begin developing along a male pathway. Occasionally, due to random errors in the process of copying DNA, an SRY gene can fall off a Y chromosome or even jump over to an X chromosome: this is one of the ways you get people with XX chromosomes who develop physically as male, or people with XY chromosomes who develop physically as female. (There are other ways too, related to other genetic or environmental factors.) Now, the thing about genetic sex is that it's not actually used all that often by working biologists outside of the field of molecular genetics -- there's usually no point looking at chromosomes if what you're interested in is anatomy or biochemistry. So chromosomal sex is by no means the final word on whether we call an organism "male" or "female".

Gonadal sex is probably the one that gets used most often by biologists when they're identifying whether the unfortunate little critter they've just dissected is male or female: it's whether an animal has testes, ovaries, or something in between. While we don't yet have the technology to give trans women ovaries or trans men testes, long-term hormone therapy does render the birth gonads mostly non-functional, and of course they can also be surgically removed.

Phenotypic sex is the one that's of most interest to you and me in our daily lives. It refers to the development of sexually dimorphic characteristics, such as genital organs, and facial and body hair. It's mostly influenced by sex hormones, and there's a great deal that modern medicine can do to bring a trans person's sexual characteristics closer to their target sex than their birth sex. Phenotypic sex is just as biologically valid a definition of sex as the other two, and unless you're planning to either perform medical procedures on someone or have kids with them, it's the only one that's likely to have much relevance to you when you interact with other people.

Finally, we humans add an extra layer on top of all this, which we call gender. Gender includes all of the standards that are used in a society to differentiate men from women (and other genders, in cultures or subcultures that recognise more than two genders). Some of the characteristics by which people are categorised into one gender or another are related to phenotypic sex, but others are purely behavioural -- dress, grooming and so on.

So when it comes to how we decide whether to call someone a man or a woman, chromosomes are really a very small part of the story. After all, societies were categorising people into genders long before chromosomes were even discovered, and we easily discern whether people are men or women every day without it even occurring to us to look at their chromosomes first.

Stop being terrible at basic high school biology.

In mammals the chromosomes pretty much determine the gonadal & phenotype sex, whether anyone knows about them or not. The cultural thing is exactly what I somewhat dispute.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Coccygia wrote:I have indeed but these are pretty rare conditions, and have little relevance overall...just trying to keep to the main point.

How about you respond to what I said, mm?

Eh? Thought I did.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General