NATION

PASSWORD

House of Commons Debates Same-Sex Marriage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you were an MP in the Commons tonight, how would you vote?

Aye! Yes to same-sex marriage
84%
No! No to same-sex marriage
14%
Other
3%

Total votes : 268

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 am

Betalia wrote:
Oneracon wrote:
My opposition to that view is basically that I don't believe in "Separate but Equal". If they're exactly the same, then what's the difference in just going an extra legal step to call both marriage?

The Civil Marriage Act in Canada states the reasoning for creating a gender-neutral definition of marriage, one reason being "WHEREAS only equal access to marriage for civil purposes would respect the right of couples of the same sex to equality without discrimination, and civil union, as an institution other than marriage, would not offer them that equal access and would violate their human dignity"

If the government wants to back out of marriage entirely and give all couples civil unions, and let them call it what they want... then that's great!

But it's either "marriage" for everyone or "civil union/partnernship" for everyone.

My personal preference is Civil Unions for everyone, and leave marriage to the religious institutions.

Fair enough, but marriage existed long before religion.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:He wasn't making up the compound arseno-koitai "male-bedder" out of nothing: he was imitating the Septuagint translation of Leviticus. Leviticus says not to shakav "bed" a male, so the Septuagint unusually turns the Greek word for "bed" into a verb for purpose of translating this verse, and Paul is following that usage.

With a feminine declination.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Betalia wrote:
Oneracon wrote:
My opposition to that view is basically that I don't believe in "Separate but Equal". If they're exactly the same, then what's the difference in just going an extra legal step to call both marriage?

The Civil Marriage Act in Canada states the reasoning for creating a gender-neutral definition of marriage, one reason being "WHEREAS only equal access to marriage for civil purposes would respect the right of couples of the same sex to equality without discrimination, and civil union, as an institution other than marriage, would not offer them that equal access and would violate their human dignity"

If the government wants to back out of marriage entirely and give all couples civil unions, and let them call it what they want... then that's great!

But it's either "marriage" for everyone or "civil union/partnernship" for everyone.

My personal preference is Civil Unions for everyone, and leave marriage to the religious institutions.

MARRIAGE is the legal name for the legal institution. Leave WEDDINGS to the religious.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Menassa wrote:Right... so we agree?

Or at least realize we're talking about different things?

No, we're talking about the same thing. You were saying the noun form of sh-k-b couldn't mean "bed" because there exists a different word for that; there are often multiple synonyms.

No, I was saying the Author didn't intend for it to mean bed.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Previous

Return to General