NATION

PASSWORD

Is it time to break-up the Federal government?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pastafarian
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pastafarian » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:48 am

No, just elect a better President.
I am the founder of Pastafarian, a region for Pastafarians but other religions are welcome too.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Adan27 wrote:Obama offer jobs to show that they are working on reducing the unemployment but the jobs he offer have low income.On the main while he gave citizenship to that person who are illegally migrated which rises the unemployment rate.If you can make government by voting you have a right to dissolve it.

Wait - when did Obama grant citizenship to illegal immigrants?

Also - I have to point out - even if it had happened - citizenship and employment aren't intrinsically connected. Non-citizens can be employed (even illegal immigrants), and citizens can be unemployed. As such, granting citizenship doesn't inherently raise or lower employment rates.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Obamacult wrote:However, that most likely will not be necessary -- the federal government will either have to significantly reduce in size and scope or collapse of its own volition under a mountain of debt within our lifetime.

It's entirely possible the federal government will actually continue to increase, actually - and that's not necessarily a bad thing, provided it's efficient at what it does. Big government isn't inherently bad, and small government isn't inherently good - what matters is whether or not the government meets the need for which it is designed. And that might mean an increase in the size of government, and that would be 'good' under those circumstances.
I identify as
a problem

Obamacult
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Calling out Trotskylvania's Bullshit

Postby Obamacult » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:27 am

I will proceed to expose, dismantle and cast off the numerous incidents of ideological faith-based disinformation, misinformation and outright bullshit that has emanated from trotskylvania on these threads. They are too numerous, even in a single post, to dissect in a single post, so I will start with his first comment in his last post on this thread.

trotskylvania's bullshit identified and exposed, sample #1:

Trotskylvania wrote: You seem to think a bunch of unvetted links to blogs on the internet constitutes a substitute for academic research. You are sorely mistaken.

I told you were you could find what you're looking for.The fact that you haven't cited a single peer reviewed paper in any of the social science disciplines is rather telling. And until you actually choose to deal with vetted research rather than propaganda, you're going to be treated like the petulant little child that you are.

What is 'telling' is that the research I cited in my post was published in one of the peer reviewed journals (Journal on Economic Perspectives, Vol. 26. No. 3, Summer 2012) on trotsklyvania's list.

the evidence, as we read it, casts doubt on the view that soaring government debt does not matter when markets (and official players, notably central banks) seem willing to absorb it at low interest rates – as is the case of now.

Bullshit comment #1 corrected.

In sum, it is time to identify, expose and dismantle the preponderance of unsubstantiated, lazy and fallacious arguments from polemic ideologues whose house of cards world views are based on faith, personal opinion and not much else.

I eagerly await trotsklyvania's inane retorts devoid of facts, logic and empirically supported arguments before moving on to expose, dissect and debunk trotsklylvania's bullshit comment #2.

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:31 am

Yes, decentralization will help the Union survive, for the reasons the OP stated.

I can see that the pro-centralization debaters have left. Good work, OP. :)
Last edited by Nidaria on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:19 am

Nidaria wrote:Yes, decentralization will help the Union survive, for the reasons the OP stated.

*Checks watch* Some of us are still here, we just dont care anymore about this.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:36 am

Dilange wrote:
Nidaria wrote:Yes, decentralization will help the Union survive, for the reasons the OP stated.

Unlike pro-decentralization people, we have jobs and we needed to sleep.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:44 am

Norstal wrote:
Dilange wrote:

Unlike pro-decentralization people, we have jobs and we needed to sleep.

And arguments more intellectual to discuss. For example, which episode of Batman: The Animated Series was the best (the answer of course being "If You Are So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?").
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 am

Nidaria wrote:I can see that the pro-centralization debaters have left. Good work, OP. :)

I guess if you're desperate enough "rambled incoherently enough that anyone interested in having a worthwhile conversation wandered off to find more fertile ground" can look like winning.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Obamacult
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Neo Art wrote:
Nidaria wrote:I can see that the pro-centralization debaters have left. Good work, OP. :)

I guess if you're desperate enough "rambled incoherently enough that anyone interested in having a worthwhile conversation wandered off to find more fertile ground" can look like winning.

If you have something substantive objective to offer to challenge my assertions --- than have at it.

But your polemic and vitriolic personal opinion, while appreciated, is not considered valid or reliable evidence to any discussion.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:46 pm

This proposal makes as much sense as that the Republicans threatened to move en masse to the Southern Hemisphere's 2nd most liberal country.
Last edited by Ainin on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Obamacult wrote:I will proceed to expose, dismantle and cast off the numerous incidents of ideological faith-based disinformation, misinformation and outright bullshit that has emanated from trotskylvania on these threads. They are too numerous, even in a single post, to dissect in a single post, so I will start with his first comment in his last post on this thread.

In other words, you have no argument.
Obamacult wrote:What is 'telling' is that the research I cited in my post was published in one of the peer reviewed journals (Journal on Economic Perspectives, Vol. 26. No. 3, Summer 2012) on trotsklyvania's list.

Oh noez, you cited a single example of peer reviewed research. And apparently, you still haven't learned that correlation doesn't imply causation. Time for you to go.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, so you have no argument. Even the evidence you cite doesn't say what you say it says. That's academic dishonesty.
Obamacult wrote:In sum, it is time to identify, expose and dismantle the preponderance of unsubstantiated, lazy and fallacious arguments from polemic ideologues whose house of cards world views are based on faith, personal opinion and not much else.

I eagerly await trotsklyvania's inane retorts devoid of facts, logic and empirically supported arguments before moving on to expose, dissect and debunk trotsklylvania's bullshit comment #2.

Yes, my inane retorts about requiring your arguments to make some logical sense. Oh, how unforgivable of me to demand the bare minimum of academic integrity from you. I guess that means I'm an ideologue.

I can't make this any more simple for you: you're wrong, and you will remain wrong so long as you rely upon your faith-based economics and only get your information from the pre-approved ideological censors on the Mises blog and related shills.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Obamacult
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Obamacult wrote:I will proceed to expose, dismantle and cast off the numerous incidents of ideological faith-based disinformation, misinformation and outright bullshit that has emanated from trotskylvania on these threads. They are too numerous, even in a single post, to dissect in a single post, so I will start with his first comment in his last post on this thread.

In other words, you have no argument.
Obamacult wrote:What is 'telling' is that the research I cited in my post was published in one of the peer reviewed journals (Journal on Economic Perspectives, Vol. 26. No. 3, Summer 2012) on trotsklyvania's list.

Oh noez, you cited a single example of peer reviewed research. And apparently, you still haven't learned that correlation doesn't imply causation. Time for you to go.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, so you have no argument. Even the evidence you cite doesn't say what you say it says. That's academic dishonesty.
Obamacult wrote:In sum, it is time to identify, expose and dismantle the preponderance of unsubstantiated, lazy and fallacious arguments from polemic ideologues whose house of cards world views are based on faith, personal opinion and not much else.

Yes, my inane retorts about requiring your arguments to make some logical sense. Oh, how unforgivable of me to demand the bare minimum of academic integrity from you. I guess that means I'm an ideologue.

I can't make this any more simple for you: you're wrong, and you will remain wrong so long as you rely upon your faith-based economics and only get your information from the pre-approved ideological censors on the Mises blog and related shills.

Bullshit, you accused me of posting exclusively from blogs without a single peer reviewed study.

I exposed and debunked this bullshit and now you have issued another bullshit strawman.

In sum, you have yet to offer anything substantive, factual, logical or empirically supported to debunk any of the raw data, empirical evidence and logical arguments I have offered, save your personal opinion.

And yes, the dreaded 'correlation doesn't equal causation' argument when you have nothing else but your personal opinion.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Obamacult wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:In other words, you have no argument.

Bullshit, you accused me of posting exclusively from blogs without a single peer reviewed study.

I exposed and debunked this bullshit and now you have issued another bullshit strawman.

In sum, you have yet to offer anything substantive, factual, logical or empirically supported to debunk any of the raw data, empirical evidence and logical arguments I have offered, save your personal opinion.

And yes, the dreaded 'correlation doesn't equal causation' argument when you have nothing else but your personal opinion.

Let's see if this is Obamacult:

Starts with the preface "bullshit": Check

Demands evidence while giving no or irrelevant evidence: Check

Accuses of multiple logical fallacies with little explanation: Check

Uses 3 of 4 of the following phrases: "substantive", "logical", "factual", "empirical" all together at one point in the post: Check

Constantly skips lines to give more volume to the already voluminous post, while remaining devoid of substance: Check

Proclaims self winner of the argument and all others wrong forever and for all time: Check

Yep, that's Obamacult.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Obamacult wrote:

Uses 3 of 4 of the following phrases: "substantive", "logical", "factual", "empirical" all together at one point in the post: Check

Constantly skips lines to give more volume to the already voluminous post, while remaining devoid of substance: Check

Proclaims self winner of the argument and all others wrong forever and for all time: Check

Yep, that's Obamacult.

Well, I laughed my ass off. Job well done!
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Let's see if this is Obamacult:

Yep, that's Obamacult.

Well, I laughed my ass off. Job well done!

I tried my best.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Mount Shiloh
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Shiloh » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 pm

I Won't Make My Opinion On This Question Known Cause I Don't Have One. It's Not Time.
Stay Trill Phil

Javale Jackson ! Reppin The 69thBlock and EighthStreet TurkeyMonkeyAngelDevilWestSideRiders !!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Mount Shiloh wrote:I Won't Make My Opinion On This Question Known Cause I Don't Have One. It's Not Time.

Then Why Did You Post? And Why Did You Capitalize Every Word?

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Mount Shiloh wrote:I Won't Make My Opinion On This Question Known Cause I Don't Have One. It's Not Time.

I thought he might be spelling something in the capitals, a-la textrolling, but no.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm

with the US supporting a federal europe, AKA WWIII they should increase federal power and sort out the infighting among states. seriously, in 5-10 years europe could be more united then the 'united' states of america.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Mount Shiloh
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mount Shiloh » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Frisivisia wrote:

Swerve.
Stay Trill Phil

Javale Jackson ! Reppin The 69thBlock and EighthStreet TurkeyMonkeyAngelDevilWestSideRiders !!

Obamacult
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Obamacult wrote:

Yep, that's Obamacult.

Recent academic, NGO and peer reviewed research on the deleterious effects of public debt :

Failing to rapidly begin bending the long-run debt-GDP curve down risks a growth disaster, whose severity could be much worse even than the recent deep recession and tragically anemic recovery. Left unchecked, it eventually risks a lost generation of growth, a long-run growth depression

the evidence, as we read it, casts doubt on the view that soaring government debt does not matter when markets (and official players, notably central banks) seem willing to absorb it at low interest rates – as is the case of now.

Our results suggest that the positive short term economic stimulus from additional debt decreases drastically when the initial debt level is high, and might even become negative. The reverse would imply that when the debt ratio is very high, reducing it would have benefi cial eff ects for annual growth.

The results, based on a range of econometric techniques, suggest an inverse relationship between initial debt and subsequent growth, controlling for other determinants of growth: on average, a 10 percentage point increase in the initial debt-to-GDP ratio is associated with a slowdown in annual real per capita GDP growth of around 0.2 percentage points per year, with the impact being smaller (around 0.15) in advanced economies.

In the current economic environment, the results represent an additional argument in favour of swiftly implementing ambitious strategies for debt reduction. If policy makers let high debt ratios linger for fear that fiscal consolidation measures will be unpopular with voters, this will undermine growth prospects and thus will put an additional burden on fiscal sustainability. This debt-based argument thus adds to the positive growth effects of fiscal reduction found in the literature for the long term and frequently also in the short term.

This is the short list -- I could produce empirical findings supporting the same results for pages, but when has substantive fact, logic and empirical evidence from objective sources ever swayed the faith-based, anti-science mob?
Last edited by Obamacult on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:51 pm

So far (as of 23 February 2012 16:49 UTC-8), I have counted a total of 489 instances of the word "shit" in this thread, including the two in this post.

Trotskylvania wrote:
Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:Dude, we could make a drinking game out of your posts.

I live in Ohio. My legislature sucks. Many of the Congressmen do not even have college degrees.
Those that aren't in the pocket of this or that anonymous corporation are backwoods nuts who only hold their positions because of how effectively the GOP has gerrymandered everything to Hades.
Recently, they passed a law compelling bars to permit guns on the facilities, all while proclaiming from the mountaintops about freedom and free markets.

That, mon ami, is state government. It's the JV, except that under their lack of accountability they can do real damage to the world we live in.

One drink everytime Obamacult prefaces a post with "Bullshit"?

I strongly advise against anyone participating in the above-recommended drinking game unless they want to die from having a blood alcohol content that probably breaks any recorded world record several times over.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Obamacult
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Obamacult » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:55 pm

YellowApple wrote:So far (as of 23 February 2012 16:49 UTC-8), I have counted a total of 489 instances of the word "shit" in this thread, including the two in this post.

Trotskylvania wrote:One drink everytime Obamacult prefaces a post with "Bullshit"?

I strongly advise against anyone participating in the above-recommended drinking game unless they want to die from having a blood alcohol content that probably breaks any recorded world record several times over.

Note that the conservative-libertarian side is focused on adding knowledge to the subject matter via objective and substantive presentation of facts, logical arguments and peer reviewed empirical research.

While the leftwing contribution to the discussion is inane retorts, disinformation and a drinking game.

Things never change, do they?

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Obamacult wrote:
YellowApple wrote:So far (as of 23 February 2012 16:49 UTC-8), I have counted a total of 489 instances of the word "shit" in this thread, including the two in this post.

Note that the conservative-libertarian side is focused on adding knowledge to the subject matter via objective and substantive presentation of facts, logical arguments and peer reviewed empirical research.

While the leftwing contribution to the discussion is inane retorts, disinformation and a drinking game.

Things never change, do they?

A rather inaccurate assessment, actually. 'Twould be more accurate to say;

Note that the conservative-libertarian side is repeating the same entitled, selfish horseshit they always repeat.

While the leftwing has grown bored of disproving said horseshit again and again, and has resorted to attempting to make something good out of the whole shebang, as an alternative to taking a Webley and a bottle of whisky out into the woods.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General