NATION

PASSWORD

Appeal to human nature

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 am

Trotskylvania wrote:This is a tacit recognition of the moral worthiness of the communist aim. And once upon a time, this didn't matter so much, if Alice was indeed correct in her assessment of human nature and its possible contradiction to the communist ethos. But we live in a brave new world now, thanks to the immense development of science and technology.

For the sake of argument, let us define human nature as the previously immutable parts of the human condition that are defined by our genes. So, in an era where concepts like genetic engineering have left the realm of science fiction and have indeed become big business in themselves, and when even more radical transhumanist technological practices are looking increasingly possible, the human nature argument is losing its salience. Because human nature is becoming something that we can self-consciously manipulate.

So, given these new possibilities, a new dimension to the appeal to human nature opens up. If our human nature is no longer immutable, can we really say that our biological nature in anyway trumps a moral argument? If by arguing as she does, Alice has tacitly accepted the moral worthiness of the communist vision, and instead has said "Shucks, we can't do it because it's against our nature," it would then follow that if Alice follows her logic to its inexorable conclusion, she must argue that we should change human nature.

But should we change human nature? At what point would such changes render us something other than human? Is there no value in being human?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:46 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:This is a tacit recognition of the moral worthiness of the communist aim. And once upon a time, this didn't matter so much, if Alice was indeed correct in her assessment of human nature and its possible contradiction to the communist ethos. But we live in a brave new world now, thanks to the immense development of science and technology.

For the sake of argument, let us define human nature as the previously immutable parts of the human condition that are defined by our genes. So, in an era where concepts like genetic engineering have left the realm of science fiction and have indeed become big business in themselves, and when even more radical transhumanist technological practices are looking increasingly possible, the human nature argument is losing its salience. Because human nature is becoming something that we can self-consciously manipulate.

So, given these new possibilities, a new dimension to the appeal to human nature opens up. If our human nature is no longer immutable, can we really say that our biological nature in anyway trumps a moral argument? If by arguing as she does, Alice has tacitly accepted the moral worthiness of the communist vision, and instead has said "Shucks, we can't do it because it's against our nature," it would then follow that if Alice follows her logic to its inexorable conclusion, she must argue that we should change human nature.

But should we change human nature? At what point would such changes render us something other than human? Is there no value in being human?

There's a value in your existence as a being capable of free thought. Labels we've applied to the shapes of flesh are fairly meaningless.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 am

Norstal wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:so we eradicate the folks who disagee with us?

No. You're missing the point. We have to do it bloodlessly. Another example is how the two world wars was fought over ideologies and resources. Now we have trade agreements and freedoms to accommodate those ideologies. So, again, human nature can be changed.

Ethel mermania wrote:
and is it inhernetly human nature to have human sacrifice?

It is. That doesn't mean it can't be suppressed and eventually eliminated.

i dont see either position as being integral to "human nature".
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47 am

This is a gotcha argument. I don't accept any of the premises. It has no other purpose than to make the people who do accept the premises by making appeals to human nature feel uncomfortable and contemplate their navels.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:50 am

Trotskylvania wrote:This is a gotcha argument. I don't accept any of the premises. It has no other purpose than to make the people who do accept the premises by making appeals to human nature feel uncomfortable and contemplate their navels.

Ah, I see.
New England and The Maritimes wrote:There's a value in your existence as a being capable of free thought. Labels we've applied to the shapes of flesh are fairly meaningless.

All things are inherently meaningless. What gives any label, or anything at all, value is only what value we assign to them. Your judgement of the value of being a being capable of free thought is no more inherently meaningful than a white supremacist placing value on being white, or me placing value on being human.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:51 am

Trotskylvania wrote:This is a gotcha argument. I don't accept any of the premises. It has no other purpose than to make the people who do accept the premises by making appeals to human nature feel uncomfortable and contemplate their navels.

Ah, I see.
New England and The Maritimes wrote:There's a value in your existence as a being capable of free thought. Labels we've applied to the shapes of flesh are fairly meaningless.

All things are inherently meaningless. What gives any label, or anything at all, value is only what value we assign to them. Your judgement of the value of being a being capable of free thought is no more inherently meaningful than a white supremacist placing value on being white, or me placing value on being human.

Not really, since one can be rigorously defined while the others are shifting in definitions.

If "being human" matters so much, define what matters about it, compared to being capable of thought in the way you are?
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:52 am

Mavorpen wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:You'll be waiting forever. There's a reason humans and our ancestors have lived in tribes for the past ~5-6 million years.

Drat. I guess I'll never get a response to this then.
Mavorpen wrote:I...what? Evolution actually requires us to be LESS selfish. You're applying traits from mammals who are nowhere near the level of social interaction of humans. Indeed we are one of the only species that regularly applies compassion and altruism to those outside of our normal social groups.

false, adult wilderbeast will protect their young against lions, elephants help their younger and older relatives, so do dolphins protect their sick. altruism is also part of animal nature.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Franklin Delano Bluth
Senator

Founded: Apr 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Franklin Delano Bluth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 am

It's certainly in interesting approach, but it's one that is beside the point. Kinda like arguing that homosexuality is not a choice--true as far as it goes, but ultimately irrelevant.
The American Legion is a neo-fascist terrorist organization, bent on implementing Paulinist Sharia, and with a history of pogroms against organized labor and peace activists and of lynching those who dare resist or defend themselves against its aggression.

Pro: O'Reilly technical books, crew-length socks, Slide-O-Mix trombone lubricant, Reuben sandwiches
Anti: The eight-line signature limit, lift kits, cancelling Better Off Ted, Chicago Cubs

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:Not really, since one can be rigorously defined while the others are shifting in definitions.

Really? Free thought has a single unquestionable definition amongst all who use the term? Very well, define free thought for me.
If "being human" matters so much, define what matters about it, compared to being capable of thought in the way you are?

You make a mistake; you assume that there is something behind being human that warrants value; something that you can understand, and tear apart. But what good would a value judgement about one's humanity be if it just represented a pack of traits that could be judged separately?

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Drat. I guess I'll never get a response to this then.

false, adult wilderbeast will protect their young against lions, elephants help their younger and older relatives, so do dolphins protect their sick. altruism is also part of animal nature.

Altruism is genetic, and there is a pretty good logic to it. You take, say, a 10% chance of dying to save an animal with 13% of your genes. That's a good trade-off from an evolutionary perspective. It developed because it helped species to grow. Human behaviors are a bit different, in the sense that we've developed large brains to store information in lieu of relying on slowly-mutating(thus slowly-adapting) genetic markers for everything. Thanks to that, humans are capable of wildly different behaviors for different situations.

Also, Bonobos

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 am

Vectrova wrote:clever, i must say

but how do you go about changing countless millennia of social conditioning that makes people, for example, self-interested? the sheer inertia behind these ideas is what makes particular ideologies simply unfeasible, regardless of how self-defeating they might be

A consistent egoist will not support capitalism.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Drat. I guess I'll never get a response to this then.

Thank you for this straw man.

Please note that I said outside of our normal social groups. It's rare for a pride of lions for instance to share their prey with other prides. You also neglected to notice that I stated that we are one of the only species. It then logically follows that yes, other species regularly show altruism and compassion outside of their normal social groups.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:Not really, since one can be rigorously defined while the others are shifting in definitions.

Really? Free thought has a single unquestionable definition amongst all who use the term? Very well, define free thought for me.

Thought: "to conceive of in the mind, consider".

You make a mistake; you assume that there is something behind being human that warrants value; something that you can understand, and tear apart. But what good would a value judgement about one's humanity be if it just represented a pack of traits that could be judged separately?

Sounds like a bunch of aimless mysticism to me.

Also, Bonobos

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:00 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Altruism is genetic, and there is a pretty good logic to it. You take, say, a 10% chance of dying to save an animal with 13% of your genes. That's a good trade-off from an evolutionary perspective. It developed because it helped species to grow. Human behaviors are a bit different, in the sense that we've developed large brains to store information in lieu of relying on slowly-mutating(thus slowly-adapting) genetic markers for everything. Thanks to that, humans are capable of wildly different behaviors for different situations.

It's both a curse and a blessing. It helps us create fantastic cultures where art, science, the concept of rights, etc. flourish while at the same time allowing us to create cultures where these things are stifled. But that's the challenge we face.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:Thought: "to conceive of in the mind, consider".

Free thought is what you said, free thought is what I asked about. For that matter, at what point is consideration considered to extend to other creatures? Is a dog's hesitation before grabbing a chicken due consideration and fear? Does a dog hold free thought?

Life is a journey, not a destination. If you're looking for direction, join a religion.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:Thought: "to conceive of in the mind, consider".

Free thought is what you said, free thought is what I asked about. For that matter, at what point is consideration considered to extend to other creatures? Is a dog's hesitation before grabbing a chicken due consideration and fear? Does a dog hold free thought?

I agree with you. The same problem arises from intelligence and consciousness. What traits do we use to test and measure the extent of intelligence and consciousness? Do we even have a set definition that the scientific community agrees on a general level?

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 am

The more I look, the more I see thought occurring down the line, especially in all mammals. Thus, they hold value and I oppose their enslavement. :)

Life is a journey, not a destination. If you're looking for direction, join a religion.

"Belief" is kind of silly. Look at what's there, not what you project onto things.

Also, Bonobos

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

that is valid. i would argue that our "nature" is driven by a combination of factors, including biology and higher order thought, but the seperation out of that biology is neither possible or desirable.

which leads back to my acceptance that, in theory while communist society would be nice, humanity itself is the biggest obsticle to it.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 am

Ethel mermania wrote:which leads back to my acceptance that, in theory while communist society would be nice, humanity itself is the biggest obsticle to it.

This is extremely difficult to back up. Have you included other factors such as technological advancement, the abolition of money, the destruction of classes, etc.? Otherwise how can you truly back up such a claim with certainty with all of these other factors in play?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:The more I look, the more I see thought occurring down the line, especially in all mammals. Thus, they hold value and I oppose their enslavement. :)

At least you're consistent in your silliness. In any case, you've yet to make a case as to why your value judgement on thought (Not free thought, apparently) is any more meaningful than my judgement regarding humanity.
"Belief" is kind of silly. Look at what's there, not what you project onto things.

I see what's in the world and I judge it. You're saying that I should only judge what you deem worthy of judging via a system that has no more meaning than mine, and lacks my own judgements regarding worth.

You want silly? That right there is silly.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:which leads back to my acceptance that, in theory while communist society would be nice, humanity itself is the biggest obsticle to it.

This is extremely difficult to back up. Have you included other factors such as technological advancement, the abolition of money, the destruction of classes, etc.? Otherwise how can you truly back up such a claim with certainty with all of these other factors in play?

that i think communism in its ideal state would be a good thing?
i have read marx, and i think he has a lot of interesting things to say.
and i have seen the world, and despite the efforts of mnay people i have not seen a true marxist society in action

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:This is extremely difficult to back up. Have you included other factors such as technological advancement, the abolition of money, the destruction of classes, etc.? Otherwise how can you truly back up such a claim with certainty with all of these other factors in play?

and i have seen the world, and despite the efforts of mnay people i have not seen a true marxist society in action

Well...yes. Because these efforts have usually occurred in technologically deficient countries. That's not how Marxism is supposed to work.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Well...yes. Because these efforts have usually occurred in technologically deficient countries. That's not how Marxism is supposed to work.

To be fair, you need to support the correlation between technological deficiency and the failure of communal societies. Without evidence, it's just as unfounded an assertion as the "human nature" argument.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 am

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Well...yes. Because these efforts have usually occurred in technologically deficient countries. That's not how Marxism is supposed to work.

To be fair, you need to support the correlation between technological deficiency and the failure of communal societies. Without evidence, it's just as unfounded an assertion as the "human nature" argument.

I...what?

Where did I say the failure of communal societies is due to technological deficiency? I stated that the failure of Marxist societies is partially due to that.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am

Mavorpen wrote:
The Joseon Dynasty wrote:

I...what?

Where did I say the failure of communal societies is due to technological deficiency? I stated that the failure of Marxist societies is partially due to that.

You didn't say "partially due to that", and even then, you need to explain why.

I'm just a simple man who doesn't know the difference between "Marxist" and "communal" societies, you see. I need an explanation.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General