NATION

PASSWORD

Best & Worst Video Games

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Best & Worst Video Games

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:55 pm

So what are the best and worst video games?

I'll break my list down in genre.

MMO:
Best: The Matrix Online
Worst: Runescape

Simulator:
Best: Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Worst: 18 Wheels of Steel (God such an unstable software...)

Racing Games:
Best: ARCA Sim Racing '08
Worst: rFactor (if nothing else, for the simple fact that add on have ruined it)

Now present your best/worst games list.

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:06 am

You know, of course, that there's no good way to compare games from different consoles/time periods. Zelda 1 and Oblivion were both awesome games, but given that they were ~20 years apart, there's no agreed-upon way of determining just how much to even out the technology difference...
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

Dashret
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dashret » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:21 am

One of my favorites is Sword of the Samurai. A classic DOS-era game where you get to take over Japan. It's sort of like a very primitive version of Shogun: Total War, with more minigames.

One of my current favorites is Tropico 3. I am loving that game. It's almost exactly like Tropico 1, but shinier. And with some cool new features. It's how you do a sequel right :P

Worst games ever, well...Empire Total War on its initial release has to be up there. When you pay $60 for a shiny DVD that doesn't actually do anything you feel a little ripped off. And when you finally DO get the game working and it's so riddled with errors that you can hardly play...well...

Really, a lot of current-gen games seem to fit that stereotype...

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:59 am

There is no game worse than ET.
no matter how blunt your hammer, someone is still going to mistake it for a nail
Voracious Vendetta wrote:There is always some prick that comes along and ruins a thread before it goes anywhere

Dashret
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dashret » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:02 am

Kashindahar wrote:There is no game worse than ET.

Say what you like about ET, the game actually worked.

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:07 am

Ratchet & Clank was awesome. Everything about that entire series is pretty much perfect. I've played a few boring games - Project Eden comes to mind - but I don't recall playing any games that were unplayably broken due to programming issues.

*edit* and while the other games in The Orange Box are solid, Portal pwns all. Plus it's available on several platforms so no one is left out of the awesomeness!
Last edited by Lord Tothe on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:08 am

Caesar IV - great 3D game, although you'd probably have to use Sun VirtualBox to get it to run since it's not that Vista-compatible.
Second best, the SWAT series of games. Both are enjoyable, for good reason!

They're not just plain "shoot-em-up" or "kick-and-jump" but actual logic puzzle type games.
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:12 am

Dashret wrote:
Kashindahar wrote:There is no game worse than ET.

Say what you like about ET, the game actually worked.

True, there were no bugs.

It was still worse than any other game you can mention, assuming that you can get said game to work at all.
no matter how blunt your hammer, someone is still going to mistake it for a nail
Voracious Vendetta wrote:There is always some prick that comes along and ruins a thread before it goes anywhere

Whiskey Hill
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskey Hill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:14 am

Morrowind is my favorite game of all time, which is saying a lot because I normally don't like RPGs.

This affected me a lot:

Yet it had its cold sense of lonliness that you were alone in the world, without anyone to trust or even any family.

[sic]

No matter the mods, or how far one progressed in the game, there was a sense I felt that my character was different from everyone else, I had a destiny, I would understand the secrets and innerworkings of the world, and I had a duty which others could not fathom. They could never understand me or my purpose. There was simply no way for me to communicate it to them. The loneliness and dreariness of struggling through Vvardenfell, even as a great hero beloved by the people, but as an orphan of history, destined to be alone and without a partner, or even a meaningful friendship, was something I loved.
Last edited by Whiskey Hill on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook & Embassy Thread

The Imperial Commonwealth League of Crowns-Member

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:16 am

Whiskey Hill wrote:Morrowind is my favorite game of all time, which is saying a lot because I normally don't like RPGs.

Morrowind is better than Oblivion in many ways, despite the dated technology. It had its bugs, but I like how the community was encouraged to mod that game by the developers. That also allowed the entire community to correct any glitches (and there were glitches) immediately.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:22 am

I don’t know about worst, but I’d have to hand best (at least in simulation) to Dwarf Fortress. Despite the fact that it’s still in alpha.
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Dashret
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dashret » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:30 am

Lord Tothe wrote:
Whiskey Hill wrote:Morrowind is my favorite game of all time, which is saying a lot because I normally don't like RPGs.

Morrowind is better than Oblivion in many ways, despite the dated technology. It had its bugs, but I like how the community was encouraged to mod that game by the developers. That also allowed the entire community to correct any glitches (and there were glitches) immediately.

I wrote a whole huge rant about Morrowind vs. Oblivion on another board...basically it boiled down to:
1. The setting was better and better developed. A somewhat original fantasyland vs. Generic Medieval Thing #5120
2. Voice actors (Dark Elves in Morrowind are sexy beasts. Face it.)
3. A better interface. Really. I liked Morrowind's more.

I'd copy/paste the whole thing if I wasn't lazy. Maybe tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

Jalanat
Minister

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jalanat » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:31 am

Best games:
Morrowind and Pokémon Platinum

Worst Games:
Every game that has been reviewed by the Angry Video Game Nerd.
My nation is not like my nation page at all, it contradicts itself, we don't EVER eat kangaroos, that's just very sad. Also vegetarianism is compulsory yet it still says it's the nation's favourite main course and all and stuff.

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:34 am

The Tofu Islands wrote:I don’t know about worst, but I’d have to hand best (at least in simulation) to Dwarf Fortress. Despite the fact that it’s still in alpha.

Given Toady's obsession with detail, I'm pretty sure it'll still be in alpha until it's a working simulation of the universe at the quantam level.

Nevermind how bad the user interface is, mind.

The North German Reich
Civilian

Founded: Oct 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The North German Reich » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:50 am

Best: Hmm I quite like Battlefield bad company and Medieval 2 Total war.

Worst: Hmm..... dunno

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:56 am

Kashindahar wrote:Given Toady's obsession with detail, I'm pretty sure it'll still be in alpha until it's a working simulation of the universe at the quantam level.

I’m not sure he’ll go quite that far. But it still needs a fair bit done (rivers flooding when dammed, disabling perpetual motion, et cetera).

Kashindahar wrote:Nevermind how bad the user interface is, mind.

What’s wrong with it? I find it fairly easy to use... The only thing I’d like is to make it work better on laptops.
Last edited by The Tofu Islands on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Whiskey Hill
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskey Hill » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:58 am

The North German Reich wrote:Best: Hmm I quite like Battlefield bad company and Medieval 2 Total war.

Worst: Hmm..... dunno

Medieval II= more attractive, less interesting version of Rome Total War. Classical just beats Medieval.

And I appreciate the comments supporting Morrowind. A brilliant game.

The Father is a machine and the mouth of a machine. His only mystery is an invitation to elaborate further.

The Mother is active and clawed like a nix-hound, yet she is the holiest of those that reclaim their days.

The Son is myself, Vehk, and I am unto three, six, nine, and the rest that come after, glorious and sympathetic, without borders, utmost in the perfections of this world and the others, sword and symbol, pale like gold.

There is a fourth kind of philosophy that uses nothing but disbelief.
Factbook & Embassy Thread

The Imperial Commonwealth League of Crowns-Member

Libertarian Governance
Senator

Founded: Oct 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Libertarian Governance » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:09 am

Socom 3 is the best, worst is probably The Legend of Zelda
Stand up, it's time to rise. It's time for revenge, opposition must die
Chaos, violence, revolution now! - GG Allin

Kashindahar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashindahar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:12 am

The Tofu Islands wrote:
Kashindahar wrote:Nevermind how bad the user interface is, mind.

What’s wrong with it? I find it fairly easy to use... The only thing I’d like is to make it work better on laptops.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just incredibly unappealing.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 am

Lord Tothe wrote:

Morrowind is the way forward.

I still play it, and keep an eye on the mods which are out there for it.

Medieval: Total War was probably one of the better games of the Total War series.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:17 am

Tagmatium wrote:
Lord Tothe wrote:

Morrowind is the way forward.

Morrowind just played like an uglier version of Oblivion with even worse combat, IMHO.

Tagmatium wrote:Medieval: Total War was probably one of the better games of the Total War series.

Shogun: Total War is the original and best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZA-gqJL9Is
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:23 am

North Suran wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:Morrowind is the way forward.

Morrowind just played like an uglier version of Oblivion with even worse combat, IMHO.

Ah, yes. I forgot about that.

The fact that you can't cast whilst still having a weapon out is a bitch, and the way that it uses probability and ability to work out if you've hit an opponent is a bit of a bitch, as it means that early on in the game you're flailing like a moron, but not landing a hit.

The story's a bit less generic, as is the setting. It's also not ridiculously shiny, nor as generic fantasy visually.
North Suran wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:Medieval: Total War was probably one of the better games of the Total War series.

Never got my hands on it. I mean to, though.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:27 am

Tagmatium wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:Morrowind is the way forward.

Ah, yes. I forgot about that.

The fact that you can't cast whilst still having a weapon out is a bitch, and the way that it uses probability and ability to work out if you've hit an opponent is a bit of a bitch, as it means that early on in the game you're flailing like a moron, but not landing a hit.

The story's a bit less generic, as is the setting. It's also not ridiculously shiny, nor as generic fantasy visually.

I must admit, I never advanced enough to really make a critique of the story or setting.

It wasn't the graphics (I'm a nostalgic fan of ugly old games) or the poor combat (although this certainly augmented it), but I could never really get into Morrowind.

Tagmatium wrote:
North Suran wrote:

Never got my hands on it. I mean to, though.

My brother had it when it first came out.

I'd never go back and play it, for fear that it would not meet the standards demanded by my rose-tinted memory.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:35 am

Dashret wrote:Worst games ever, well...Empire Total War on its initial release has to be up there. When you pay $60 for a shiny DVD that doesn't actually do anything you feel a little ripped off. And when you finally DO get the game working and it's so riddled with errors that you can hardly play...well...

I had no such problems, and my computer can barely run it. :meh:
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Jeffgordonville
Envoy

Founded: Mar 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeffgordonville » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:46 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Dashret wrote:Worst games ever, well...Empire Total War on its initial release has to be up there. When you pay $60 for a shiny DVD that doesn't actually do anything you feel a little ripped off. And when you finally DO get the game working and it's so riddled with errors that you can hardly play...well...

I had no such problems, and my computer can barely run it. :meh:

Ditto.

It's hard for me to specify a particular game as bad, since all of the ones I've played are good in their own ways. The lone exception to this would be Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), which was an absolute trainwreck of a game.
Jeffgordonville's International Racing History:
WGPC
Season 8
7th (Lee Rogers) and 18th (Richard Emberton) in Drivers Championship
6th in Constructors Championship

Season 9
World Champion (Matthew Portland) and 4th (Lee Rogers) in Drivers Championship
2 wins (Rogers 1, Portland 1)
2nd in Constructors Championship

NSSCRA
Season 1
4th (Calvin Emberton), 7th (Kyle Onasi), 25th (Jason Antilles), 46th (Denny Cummings) in Championship
4 wins (Emberton, 3, Onasi, 1)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General