NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Bans

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:29 am

Kouralia wrote:
Nua Corda wrote:
I think you've misread that a bit. Try again, and look for the somewhat snide part in quotation marks.

Found it!
Albion Rhodesia wrote:Considering that every interview or press release that the Senator gives, she's either holding a firearm improperly/dangerously, I believe that her right to even be able to propose such legislation should be stripped away, as she has no concept of firearms whatsoever.

So, now I'm confused; are you backing up Farn, or mistaking her point?
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:29 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
The fuck why does she have her finger on the trigger?

Whenever you guys are ready to talk about the real issue, which is how to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and angry teenagers, to mention just a few, let us know. In the meantime, have fun making fun of people actually trying to deal with the problem.

As soon as they figure out what they need to do and understand what they try to ban we may give them some leway.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Littopia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Littopia » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:30 am

I believe pistols are alright, but you don't need other weapons in today's age. Pistols can still kill, there must be a thick and tough mental health registry that will prevent the mentally ill(or relatives of any kind) from owning firearms. Where I currently live, a homicide was committed by an insane woman who believed herself a descendant of ancient egyptian pharaohs and blessed by Ra. Her only hindrance to getting a pistol and adequate ammunition to commit the murder was a short questionnaire featuring only one overly simple question regarding her sanity. "Are you mentally ill?" :palm:

I live in America, if you haven't caught on. My country's gun control is a joke.

Edit: Aaand I was looking at the wrong part of the page for my response, thusly saying something irrelevant to the topic at hand. If it's really this bad in Belgium, the police need to be doing a better job and the society needs re-structuring. It should probably include allowing self-defense through smaller firearms.
Last edited by Littopia on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Iseran
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Iseran » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:32 am

Farnhamia wrote:On-line sources, please? And I'm not sure children being killed by a parent is solvable by "self-defense."

- in two of the cases the oldest victim was over 16.

- in the case of the attack on the nursery there was a carer present.

- two of the attacks targeted legal adults (with one targeting both legal adults and children).

all five of these atrocities could have been stopped by self-defense.
Last edited by Iseran on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iseranian factbook

socially conservative economic centrist

Everbeek
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Everbeek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:34 am

Iseran wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:On-line sources, please? And I'm not sure children being killed by a parent is solvable by "self-defense."

- two of the attacks targeted legal adults (with one targeting both legal adults and children).

A mother killing her children could have been stopped by self defense? Yeah they were just gonna pull out their AK and off their mother :clap:

And I'm still not sure which cases you're talking about except Kim De Gelder's thing and that thing in Liege, so I'm only going to comment on those unless you start being less vague:

Kim De Gelder killed toddlers and their care-givers in a nursery. You think it would have been a good idea that there would have been guns present in said nursery for "self defense"?
Last edited by Everbeek on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Awesomeness Formerly Known As Campinia
Cromarty wrote:Antifa, the Internationale and the Red Fleet are encased in the largest glass house in existence, and they're not throwing stones, they're firing boulders from catapults.

Big Jim P wrote:
Everbeek wrote:I never say "for god's sake", I always say "for fuck's sake", for the rest I don't care much

Fucking created most of us, so fucking IS god.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:34 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Whenever you guys are ready to talk about the real issue, which is how to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and angry teenagers, to mention just a few, let us know. In the meantime, have fun making fun of people actually trying to deal with the problem.

As soon as they figure out what they need to do and understand what they try to ban we may will give them some leway.

Fix'd. Bickering about this like spoiled children and dehumanizing the other side is counterproductive as all hell. I would like nothing more than to be able to explain how guns work to people who want to generate effective control, and help them write a good bill that deals with the problem and minimizes the harm to sportsmen and enthusiasts like myself. I would be willing to make some concessions, even though I've got the solution pretty well hammered out. But in order for any of that to happen, some of these people need to get off their high horses and accept that not all gun enthusiasts are crazy anti-government child-killers, and that they have no idea what they're talking about, and actually do need the help of knowledgeable people on the subject.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:35 am

Iseran wrote:

I'm not sure you understand...
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Littopia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Littopia » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:35 am

Iseran, he means a link to these sources, that's all.

Reichsland
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Reichsland » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:38 am

Thafoo wrote:
Iseran wrote:My country, Belgium, has some of the strictest arms control laws in the world (even pepper spray is illegal) and has seen five mass killings over the last four years, four of which targeted young children and one of which resulted in over 125 casualties.
This country is so dangerous that i have been robbed three times in broad daylight (once at knife point), i have seen a youth gang vandalize a truck with metal pipes while they hurled abuse at the terrified driver, i have witnessed two armed robberies, i have heard of 3 home invasions taking place in my street over the last year and i have been threatened in public on countless occasions, all in what is supposedly a "safe" part of the country.

Upon conducting some research i discovered that Europe is much worse off than the united states in terms of violent crime, in fact two European nations (the UK and Austria) are so bad that they are worse off than South Africa.
After a brief comparison it becomes obvious that European countries which have virtually banned self-defense such as Belgium, the Netherlands and the UK have extremely high crime rates while the countries which allow individuals to carry weapons (i.e pepper spray) for self defense in addition to having more relaxed gun laws such as Switzerland, Hungary and the Czech republic have very low crime rates.
The same situation can be found in Asia, where we can see that middle-eastern countries with very lax gun laws such as Saudi Arabia have very low crime rates, while other Asian countries with strict gun control such as the PRC have very high crime (and suicide) rates.
Ditto for America, where we can see that the USA with it's lax gun control has a much lower crime rate than the Latin American nations with strict gun control.

The only logical conclusion is that legalizing armed self-defense (not necessarily with firearms, but at the very least with less-lethal weapons such as pepper spray) will lower violent crime rates significantly.

Americans: please don't give up your guns, otherwise you will end up like us; having to fight for the right to defend yourselves against junkies and sadists with pepper spray.

I don't see the harm in illegalizing assault weapons. A pistol may be a good defense weapon. A bushmaster is like using a minefield to defend against a few wolves.

They are still fun to shoot. Just cause you outlaw them doesnt mean people wont have them.
Demonym: Landser
Wilderosian War
Hakaan Civil War
Lauaj War
{5.Peace}
4.High Alert
3.Mobilization
2.War
1.Nuclear War

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:57 am

So, which member of the gun lobby's puppet are you?

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 am

Great Nepal wrote:
Norcroft wrote:theres no kill like overkill.

So you are suggesting we should nuke criminals from orbit using antimatter warheads?

I'm down with this. Would really help clean up the bad parts of town and stop inner city crime.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 am

Choronzon wrote:So, which member of the gun lobby's puppet are you?

Which member of the gun-control lobby's puppet are you?
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:04 am

Risottia wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:Self defense is a basic human right.

And it is already recognized in all CoE countries. Belgium included.

I don't know anything about the laws of the European nations.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:05 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Albion Rhodesia wrote:Considering that every interview or press release that the Senator gives, she's either holding a firearm improperly/dangerously, I believe that her right to even be able to propose such legislation should be stripped away, as she has no concept of firearms whatsoever.

(Image)

Stupidity, or she is planning on shooting someone.
Hail Satan!

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:07 am

Ugh. This is happening again.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:09 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
You pretty much nailed it. Just like owning more than one car, there is nothing wrong with owning more than one gun.

No, no, no... Owning a gun makes you a criminal, so owning more than one makes you a super-criminal.
*nods*

Of course it does.
Hail Satan!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 am

Falcania wrote:Ugh. This is happening again.

What is?
Hail Satan!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

Or the gun is not loaded, and even if she does shoot someone, it would be a member of the US Senate, so no big deal.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 am

It will always happen here. It goes in cycles and since we've had a spate of high-profile firearms incidents in the USA, it manifests here as this sort of thing.
Big Jim P wrote:

What is?

The rehashed topics, perhaps.

Since you've been here a long time, I assume you've noticed patterns?
Last edited by Tagmatium on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:12 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Or the gun is not loaded, and even if she does shoot someone, it would be a member of the US Senate, so no big deal.

All guns are loaded until you prove them otherwise, and even then, you do not put your finger on the trigger.

Edit: all things considered, I am voting for stupidity.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

For the purposes of safety, if you have not cleared the weapon and checked the chamber personally in the last few secounds, or it's currently in a state of complete or partial disassembly, a gun is always loaded.

Firearms Safety 101: Keep your booger-hook off the bang-stick, damnit!
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 am

Tagmatium wrote:

It will always happen here. It goes in cycles and since we've had a spate of high-profile firearms incidents in the USA, it manifests here as this sort of thing.
Big Jim P wrote:What is?

flogging dead horses is what we do best around here, but I haven't seen a thread like this in a while.
Hail Satan!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:15 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Even if the gun isn't loaded her finger shouldn't be on the trigger. If she knew anything about gun safety she'd know that.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:15 am

Nua Corda wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Or the gun is not loaded, and even if she does shoot someone, it would be a member of the US Senate, so no big deal.

For the purposes of safety, if you have not cleared the weapon and checked the chamber personally in the last few secounds, or it's currently in a state of complete or partial disassembly, a gun is always loaded.

Firearms Safety 101: Keep your booger-hook off the bang-stick, damnit!

Diane Feinstein does not need silly "safety", especially not on the floor of the Senate.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:It will always happen here. It goes in cycles and since we've had a spate of high-profile firearms incidents in the USA, it manifests here as this sort of thing.

flogging dead horses is what we do best around here, but I haven't seen a thread like this in a while.

Yeah, nearly three weeks this time. Sigh. We've established beyond all doubt that people like me are going to disagree with people like Big Jim P. Do we need to carry on at that?
Last edited by Falcania on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General