NATION

PASSWORD

Gun Bans

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Tule wrote:
Nua Corda wrote:
I personally am on the fence on that. I would support a barrel length limit, and I support heavy licensing and regulation on all guns, but I'm not sure how far I'd go. Of course, that may just be because I want to collect M1911s.

I'd like to see a 1000$ tax stamp on handguns shorter than 7.5 inches.

Obtaining a CHL licence would then excempt you from that tax.

That might be a good way to go. Taxing ammo wouldn't hurt either.
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

North America and Great Britain
Envoy

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby North America and Great Britain » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:33 pm

Proud Christian!

Before you assume I'm an anglophile, read my factbook.

1% of the nations have 39% of the votes. #occupyWA

National Anthem of the Federation - Shameless Self-Advertising - National Factbook
---Economic Left/Right: 8.25
---Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.44
Towson wrote:
Meowfoundland wrote:Who's gonna kill the 6.5 billion people necessary to make this viable?

Flappy Birds.

Novraslavia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novraslavia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:40 pm

Aw. They took away my Draco AK-47.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:42 pm

Novraslavia wrote:Aw. They took away my Draco AK-47.

Why would you want an AK without the stock?

Sophian
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sophian » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 pm

United Prefectures of Appia wrote:
Sophian wrote:*snip*

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-1 ... -2015.html

Your source is Bloomberg News, owned by Mayor Bloomberg (a strong opponent of the 2nd amendment of the bill of rights, and a strong opponent of the of the 4th amendment of the bill of rights [Mayor Bloomberg defends stop & frisk procedure in NYC, which obviously violates the 4th amendment]). Are you proposing that Mayor Bloomberg & Alex Tribou are clairvoyant?

Fun Fact: Mayor Bloomberg also thinks Super-Size Soft Drinks should be banned. ( http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-3 ... rinks.html )
"We've never made the case or argued the case that somehow Osama Bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming." - Dick Cheney (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nX-KQbYXnk) on the The Tony Snow Show March 29, 2006

Bill Maher: "You have to admit that there are people who do want to kill Americans."
Mos Def: "Yeah, some of them are called the police."

Novraslavia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novraslavia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Novraslavia wrote:Aw. They took away my Draco AK-47.

Why would you want an AK without the stock?

I got it cheap.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Novraslavia wrote:
Vareiln wrote:Why would you want an AK without the stock?

I got it cheap.

I see... It's a good think they won't and never will ban the SKS, then.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Novraslavia wrote:
Vareiln wrote:Why would you want an AK without the stock?

I got it cheap.

You never had an AK-47. Unless you happened to be one of the Russian Procurement officers at the field trials in 1946-47.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Novraslavia wrote:I got it cheap.

Which was always hilarious to me, since it's just as deadly for mass shootings as an AR-15.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

Novraslavia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novraslavia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Vareiln wrote:

I like the SKS, it's a good rifle. I fired a Type 56 (not the assault rifle, the SKS) once. On the topic of gun bans though, I think it's a good step forward. There's was another shooting today at an office building I heard.

Sophian
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sophian » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Sophian wrote:*snip*

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-1 ... -2015.html

Until the alleged seer Michael Bloomberg's prediction comes true, its just speculation. The fact remains that deaths by automobile accidents are 2.99x more common than firearm homicides, and automobile accidents are generally more common than firearm related deaths.

11,504 people died from firearm homicides in the U.S. in 2009 according to the CDC ( http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf )
31,347 total firearm deaths in the U.S. when including suicide
34,485 died from motor-vehicle related injuries
Last edited by Sophian on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We've never made the case or argued the case that somehow Osama Bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming." - Dick Cheney (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nX-KQbYXnk) on the The Tony Snow Show March 29, 2006

Bill Maher: "You have to admit that there are people who do want to kill Americans."

Novraslavia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novraslavia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Nua Corda wrote:

You never had an AK-47. Unless you happened to be one of the Russian Procurement officers at the field trials in 1946-47.

It doesn't really matter what you call it, people will understand what you mean.

Sophian
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Sophian » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 pm

Michael Bloomberg is also rumored to have "gone steady" with G.W. for a while.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
Vareiln wrote:I see... It's a good think they won't and never will ban the SKS, then.

Which was always hilarious to me, since it's just as deadly for mass shootings as an AR-15.

Nobody ever mentions this lead spitting monster in the gun control debate.

It can fire 108 .32 cal projectiles in less than 2 seconds, which rivals virtually every SMG out there.
But that's OK cuz shotguns r fur hunting.
Last edited by Tule on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

United Prefectures of Appia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Tsa-la-gi Nation wrote:I believe owning a firearm IS an individual right set up by the 2nd amendment. Gun owners also have the right to form a militia. That's is also a right set up by the 2nd amendment. The only gun license that should be required is a service arm bought by a retired soldier (which should not be against the law).

So in otherwords, it sounds like you're in favor of both of what you interpret as the 2nd Amendment.

It's not about when was the last time our government got deposed. It's about the public being a part of the checks & balance system set up by the "founding fathers" beyond the vote while at the same time adding to our public defense.

Well, all the more reasons why the Founding Fathers heavily supported militias as another way to allow people to maintain checks and balances beyond the vote as long as militias were professionally trained and disciplined properly. By definition, militias are armed forces comprised of civilian and non-professional soldiers.

I don't see how disarming the public can save millions of lives unless you have a plan to disarm the armed forces of the world.

Well I certainly don't see how continuing to increase the pool of gun access has ever helped to stop the gun violence in the US. Since the late 70's gun problem went down South.

We pay way too much tax to support armed forces which is much too large. The militia is suppose to be a part of our culture. that's why it's written into our Bill of Rights. But, without it & a far larger military than any other country in the world, there isn't much stopping the US government from doing whatever it wants is there? How many of the last military conflicts were voted on & approved by congress within the 1st 30 days of sending troops? How many times did our Representative pull out millions from our social security fund, only to never pay it back & raise the age that working people can retire? Why isn't the major players of the banking industry behind bars & answering to the crimes of immoral reckless endangerment of our whole economic system? Why isn't the public in an outrage that real wages haven't risen in 30 years?

With the exception of which special interest groups get their mouth on the nipple of the government take, it doesn't really matter which of the 2 parties are in power, because they are both financially backed by the same few handfuls of people that are laughing all the way to the bank. Why is it like this? Because we do not stand up for our rights when they are written away or further limited by congress in order to protect us from ourselves. Only the militia that is our constitutional right, IS the check that protects us from them, when the vote has lost power to represent the will of the people.

Again, we can trace the root of this problem back to the late 70's. It was more than just the toppling of the NRA leadership, you had people like the Koch Bros who set up right-wing think tanks that would later usurp control of government power from the people to the hands of corporations and rich donors. Further deregulation of the free market made corporations grow so strong they bought our government. Bought politicians no longer serve the constituents, but to their corporate masters and rich donors that fund their campaigns. Then you have the MIC (Military Industrial Complex) which Eisenhower warned about. American generals today no longer take orders from the Pentagon, instead they're commanded by military contractors and the lobbying power at their disposal.

If a real serious revolution was ever needed at all, it has to be used as a last resort at all cost. Unfortunately, extremists in the US today like the American Talibans like to use it first hand and target the wrong people instead of using political revolution as a first means. Well, at one time they did until their movement got hijacked by the Koch Bros.
"But wait, I thought guns were bad." "FALSE! Guns are good! Infact, did you know that Jesus and Moses used guns to conquer the Romans?"
The silver bullet solutions to solve all of America's political crap in one shot: Wolf-PAC.com, MayDay.US, Represent.us

United Prefectures of Appia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Sophian wrote:11,504 people died from firearm homicides in the U.S. in 2009 according to the CDC ( http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf )

Well, I gotta hand it to you, at least you thumped Nua Corda's notion that car deaths exceeds gun death by a big long shot.
"But wait, I thought guns were bad." "FALSE! Guns are good! Infact, did you know that Jesus and Moses used guns to conquer the Romans?"
The silver bullet solutions to solve all of America's political crap in one shot: Wolf-PAC.com, MayDay.US, Represent.us

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Sophian wrote:11,504 people died from firearm homicides in the U.S. in 2009 according to the CDC ( http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdf )

Well, I gotta hand it to you, at least you thumped Nua Corda's notion that car deaths exceeds gun death by a big long shot.

Three times as many is certainly a long shot in my book. Suicide doesn't count.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 pm

ImagineNation wrote:ban all the guns u want. i dont buy mi guns on the govirnment regulaited markit bcuz i dont want mi tax money to pay for jon bainer & barak obamas chikn mcnuggets.

Great, another one.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:25 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
United Prefectures of Appia wrote:Well, I gotta hand it to you, at least you thumped Nua Corda's notion that car deaths exceeds gun death by a big long shot.

It's fun when you can wave away the statistics you don't like, isn't it? Let's see ... we should subtract "motor-vehicle related injuries" when the person injured wasn't in a vehicle. They could have been hurt by the ground.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nua Corda wrote:

It's fun when you can wave away the statistics you don't like, isn't it? Let's see ... we should subtract "motor-vehicle related injuries" when the person injured wasn't in a vehicle. They could have been hurt by the ground.

Suicides don't count because of easy availability of other effective methods and nobody wants the government to tell people what to do with their own lives.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nua Corda wrote:

It's fun when we can ignore context in order to make a snarky comment, isn't it?

Consider this; this is a debate about gun control. This, specifically, is about the harm guns cause in society. The reason suicides don't count is that those people could just as easily have jumped off a bridge, jammed a flick knife in an electrical socket, quaffed a bottle of pills... you get the idea. The presence or absence of guns would not have had any noticeable impact on that number. It's only the homicides and accidents that matter, because that's the only thing that banning guns would theoretically prevent.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

Terruana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terruana » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:02 pm

Someone please clarify something for me? The often quoted second amendment states that citizens of the United States have the right to bear arms.
Nowhere in there, that I'm aware of, does it specify which arms are covered by this right. For example, so far as I'm aware, no private citizens have a right to own nuclear missiles or aircraft carriers. These are, however, both in the category of "arms".
So then, with such a well established and widely accepted precedent of limiting which arms can be legally borne, how can it then be argued that it's unconstitutional to further restrict access to guns (for example, assault weapons)?
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Terruana wrote:Someone please clarify something for me? The often quoted second amendment states that citizens of the United States have the right to bear arms.
Nowhere in there, that I'm aware of, does it specify which arms are covered by this right. For example, so far as I'm aware, no private citizens have a right to own nuclear missiles or aircraft carriers. These are, however, both in the category of "arms".
So then, with such a well established and widely accepted precedent of limiting which arms can be legally borne, how can it then be argued that it's unconstitutional to further restrict access to guns (for example, assault weapons)?

Well, McDonald v. Chicago, for one.
Call me Corda.
Bong Hits for Jesus!

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Terruana wrote:Someone please clarify something for me? The often quoted second amendment states that citizens of the United States have the right to bear arms.

Because some weapons are in "common use for lawful purposes" (see US v Miller, DC v Heller), like assault weapons. Other aren't, like ICBM's.

EDIT: Additionally, DC v Heller defined "arms".
Last edited by Caninope on Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Because it is understood by people with operational synapses that "arms" refers to "firearms" aka "guns".
Is it clear now, or do you need it in crayons?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General