NATION

PASSWORD

Fox News hosts lament algebra and history text books

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which one of these things have a liberal bias?

Mathematics
7%
Biology
8%
Chemistry
6%
Religion
7%
History
11%
Anthropology
10%
Sociology
13%
Economics
9%
Reality
28%

Total votes : 621

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:34 am

Hatsunia wrote:
Agymnum wrote:
Because abstinence obviously is the better solution, amirite?

I edited the post.

So if you don't want abstinence-only education, and you don't want comprehensive sex education, what do you want?
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Faolinn
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:34 am

The only difference is now that history books are getting more objective and to be frank, my only gripe about algebra is that it's horribly dull and largely useless to most people.Unless you plan on becoming an engineer, a math teacher, some manner of physicist or such, then you don't need a lot of it. How the hell can algebra be biased anyway? Anyway, I consider this Fox News acting insane once more...What in the name of all the Gods, spirits, saintly mortals, and earthly logic is wrong with these people?
Last edited by Faolinn on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And the Gods said down with tyrants and it was good."-Me
One of the religious left.
Research supports cynicism
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

I disagree with but have some respect for: Secular Humanism, Agnosticism

The Fourth Khaganate
Attaché

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fourth Khaganate » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:37 am

They only seem to teach Keynsian economics at high school level.

This can actually be explained by the fact that Economics in High School only tends to touch on the Economics that the US uses. Some other methods are mentioned, but the whole point of the course is to go into how the US'es economy works.
Genuinely interested in German culture or have a German themed non-Nazi/Fascist nation and want to participate in a greater community? Join UGN today!

Boddom
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Boddom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:56 am

Genivaria wrote:Oh c'mon are you really surprised? These are the same people who said they don't care what the 'fact-checkers' think during the election.
Even conservatives (those who live in reality anyway) have to admit that Fox News is in the business of propaganda not news.

The fact is all of the worlds media outlets tailor their stories to fit their own political view 's and the vast majority of them are typically leftwing for some reason. There is no such thing as unbiased news if there is such a thing as unbiased reporting or an unbiased news program that you know of pleaase be kind enough to let me know who they are.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 am

The Fourth Khaganate wrote:
They only seem to teach Keynsian economics at high school level.

This can actually be explained by the fact that Economics in High School only tends to touch on the Economics that the US uses. Some other methods are mentioned, but the whole point of the course is to go into how the US'es economy works.

Is that a compulsory course?

I never had the option to study Economics in HS. Just compound interest (general maths) and hyperinflation in Weimar Germany (modern history). It was mentioned in a very shallow way in General Studies, as background to current political debate. Though I liked maths I probably wouldn't have taken an Economics course as an option. I wasn't even very interested in statistical maths, though in retrospect that's been the most useful of the maths that I learned.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:22 am

Boddom wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Oh c'mon are you really surprised? These are the same people who said they don't care what the 'fact-checkers' think during the election.
Even conservatives (those who live in reality anyway) have to admit that Fox News is in the business of propaganda not news.

The fact is all of the worlds media outlets tailor their stories to fit their own political view 's and the vast majority of them are typically leftwing for some reason.

Wrong on both counts. Media outlets tailor their stories to suit their viewer/reader. And the vast majority of them are (a) lowbrow, and (b) reactive.

If media seems generally left-wing to you, you're probably way out on the crazy right wing. As a moderately left-wing person myself, I find mainstream media right wing.

There is no such thing as unbiased news if there is such a thing as unbiased reporting or an unbiased news program that you know of pleaase be kind enough to let me know who they are.

You don't need that. You need a range of sources with differing biases so you can detect bias and adjust for it.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:54 am

Ailiailia wrote:
Boddom wrote:The fact is all of the worlds media outlets tailor their stories to fit their own political view 's and the vast majority of them are typically leftwing for some reason.

Wrong on both counts. Media outlets tailor their stories to suit their viewer/reader. And the vast majority of them are (a) lowbrow, and (b) reactive.

If media seems generally left-wing to you, you're probably way out on the crazy right wing. As a moderately left-wing person myself, I find mainstream media right wing.

There is no such thing as unbiased news if there is such a thing as unbiased reporting or an unbiased news program that you know of pleaase be kind enough to let me know who they are.

You don't need that. You need a range of sources with differing biases so you can detect bias and adjust for it.

More importantly, they don't care about your satisfaction. They only want your attention, even if you hate them for it. Because they are in the business of selling audiences to advertisers, not the news to you.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:25 am

Ailiailia wrote:

I never had the option to study Economics in HS. Just compound interest (general maths) and hyperinflation in Weimar Germany (modern history). It was mentioned in a very shallow way in General Studies, as background to current political debate. Though I liked maths I probably wouldn't have taken an Economics course as an option. I wasn't even very interested in statistical maths, though in retrospect that's been the most useful of the maths that I learned.

The maths content of what we do in Economics is questionable. We might look at some data for internals (for example, unemployment rates) and indeed something I found back then I keep presenting here on NSG. You'd be amazed how many people think the workforce is split fifty/fifty into males and females. We also muck about with excel to create graphical forms of data (for example,

http://tvnz.co.nz/business-news/nz-dollar-falls-against-aussie-5126073
In Australia, New Zealand's biggest export market, the number of people employed rose by 14,500, the biggest increase since May, the statistics bureau in Sydney said.
The better-than-expected data has pared bets the Reserve Bank of Australia will reduce its benchmark interest rate by another quarter of a percentage point next month. Last week the RBA cut interest rates 25 basis points to 3.25 percent, citing weaker commodity prices in the a global market where the outlook for the economic growth "has softened".
Note, seems to be (http://www.rba.gov.au/statistics/cash-rate/) just called the cash rate.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10839964
There were 1601 listings but the numbers were slightly skewed as jobs with fewer than 10 vacancies, or which did not fit in one of Trade Me's categories, were not included.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=10834585
The New Zealand economy grew at a faster-than-expected clip in the second quarter, driven by record milk production and increased building activity, while growth in the first quarter was trimmed back.
Gross domestic product grew 0.6 per cent in the three months ended June 30, from a 1 per cent pace in the first three months of the year, a revision from the previously published 1.1 per cent, according to Statistics New Zealand. Growth of 0.3 per cent had been expected in the second quarter, according to a Reuters survey.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/ar ... d=10838681
For months the Federal Reserve has been priming the US economy by printing money. In financial terms it's like giving a drunk more booze to wean him off last night's hangover.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=10839803
The BNZ-BusinessNZ performance of manufacturing index (PMI) rose to 48.2 last month from 47.2 in August, indicating the pace of contraction is slowing. A level of 50 marks the difference between contraction and expansion. Four of the five seasonally adjusted diffusion indexes were in contraction in September.
New orders slipped 2 points to 45.9. Employment edged up 3.7 points to 49.2 alongside production and deliveries though all three remained in contraction. Finished stocks bucked the trend on 50.6, its first expansion since May 2012.
Tuesday's quarterly New Zealand Institute of Economic Research business survey showed manufacturers held a "fairly solid" view of their business over the next 12 months. Manufacturers' expectations for output over the next three months rose to 17 points from 9 points.
The NZIER sees the pace of annual growth slowing to 1.5 per cent in the second half of the year from a pace of 2.6 per cent at the end of June, based on a more pessimistic outlook in the September survey of business opinion
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=10839184
The REINZ Housing Price Index increased 0.6 per cent in September from August to sit at 3,442.1, a new record high.
A shortage of new listings is causing house prices to go up as buyers are forced to make rapid decisions, said REINZ chief executive Helen O'Sullivan.
"The traditional rush of spring listings has not eventuated this year and the market is tightening as buyers face a limited choice of offerings.
ASB economist Jane Turner described the housing market as tight, particularly in Auckland and Canterbury where inventory levels are now "extremely low".
"We believe the dip in turnover in September is due to lack of supply rather than easing demand," she said.
http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_sta ... spx#slower
0.9 percent during the 2010s
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=10836274
Containment policies such as smart growth and Auckland's metropolitan urban limit were found by the commission to be the root of the problem, crippling new housing supply by limiting land availability.
"Pressure on land prices needs to be reduced and the commission has recommended that there be an immediate release of new land for residential development in high-demand areas such as Auckland and Christchurch," Sherwin said.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=10836023
Macleod, of the Norwood Trust, backs the Productivity Commission's Housing Affordability Inquiry which found "significant" infrastructure costs were part of the problem. Fees of $40,000 could be charged to develop just one section, the commission said, identifying a growing number of people forced to rent long-term.
Rodney Dickens, an economist of Orewa's Strategic Risk Analysis, blames surging section prices which have driven the cost of new housing outside the reach of too many would-be new home owners, and especially younger and/or lower-income households.
"Excessive section prices are making the New Zealand economy uncompetitive. High section prices are a travesty given our very low population density and are contributing to undesirable housing conditions for lots of hard-working Kiwis.
"But why did the average section price increase four times more than the average income between 1992 and 2012? Not double. Not three times more."

Basically, not much to do at all.

In theory we need to be able to create indexes (such as CPIs). Which if I can remember is basically current/first x 100. Or a thousand, depends how accurate you want the index to be. But that didn't happen like that.

The externals, well, they were basically maths free. Both years. Inflation. Trade. Growth. And last year's. Demand. Supply. The Market. All PDFs of the exams I actually sat. I got a 27 for Demand which is one of my best so, yeah. (The results for the 2012 round of exams are yet to be released.)

Note, we do not get told what sort of economics this is... I couldn't tell you if I wanted to.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Faolinn
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:30 am

Ailiailia wrote:

Pretty much.We mention and discuss some general mechanisms, we talk about other forms, and then we spend most of the time focusing on the American brand of capitalism.High school economics classes are a joke in here in the U.S.
"And the Gods said down with tyrants and it was good."-Me
One of the religious left.
Research supports cynicism
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

I disagree with but have some respect for: Secular Humanism, Agnosticism

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:44 am

Boddom wrote:

The fact is all of the worlds media outlets tailor their stories to fit their own political view 's and the vast majority of them are typically leftwing for some reason. There is no such thing as unbiased news if there is such a thing as unbiased reporting or an unbiased news program that you know of pleaase be kind enough to let me know who they are.

Actual news media don't fabricate blatant lies and pass them off as facts (Embarassing Republicans conveniently labelled (D), palm trees growing in Wisconsin) either.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:45 am

Eric Bolling can't work a calculator, so clearly it's obvious that he doesn't understand what algebra really is.

Sorgloss
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorgloss » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:49 am

If one disagrees with various ideas about distribution, I would think they should absolutely be taught to children.

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." ~Sun Tzu

Why wait for the kids to go to college, be confronted with a world they didn't know existed, and then reject everything they've been taught previously? One should ease the child into the world, not abandon him to it.
Equity, not Equality Pro Life, Anti-War Anti-Zionism Volunteerist Libertarian Traditionalist Roman Catholic

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 am

Esternial wrote:Eric Bolling can't work a calculator, so clearly it's obvious that he doesn't understand what algebra really is.

Eric Bolling probably can't count past 10 with his shoes on, so let's be easy on the poor dunce.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
Esternial wrote:Eric Bolling can't work a calculator, so clearly it's obvious that he doesn't understand what algebra really is.

Eric Bolling probably can't count past 10 with his shoes on, so let's be easy on the poor dunce.

Know who else used letters for numbers? The Romans. Know what the Romans did? Killed Jesus. ALGEBRA IS ANTI-CHRISTIAN!
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:41 am

Ifreann wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:

Know who else used letters for numbers? The Romans. Know what the Romans did? Killed Jesus. ALGEBRA IS ANTI-CHRISTIAN!

x = atheist?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:07 am

Ifreann wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:

The Romans used math to find out how many Christians a day they could feed to lions for maximum entertainment value after all. *nod*
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:14 am

I <3 Fox News.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:18 am

San-Silvacian wrote:I <3 Fox News.

I <3 Karl Rove's Election Night meltdown on FOXNews.

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:54 am

Ifreann wrote:Know who else used letters for numbers? The Romans. Know what the Romans did? Killed Jesus. ALGEBRA IS ANTI-CHRISTIAN!

Romans would be really bad at algebra. Whenever you asked them to solve for X, they'd always give the same answer

Chronic Hypersomnia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Chronic Hypersomnia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:57 am

I agree with faux news.

They're on the right track for the good of the capitalism that was given to us by god.
What is love? Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No more..
"society produces the criminals it deserves."

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:01 am

Boddom wrote:

I love how this argument is supposed to justify Fox News in some way.

Hatsunia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 26, 2012

Postby Hatsunia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Ovisterra wrote:
Hatsunia wrote:I edited the post.

So if you don't want abstinence-only education, and you don't want comprehensive sex education, what do you want?

I didn't say I was against comprehensive sex ed, I was just saying that was what made a school "liberal".
Hatsunia | 初音国
The first sound of the future, the society of the future

MT/PMT (Cyberprep) | National Day: August 31 | Ignore NS stats/policies | More than an "anime meme nation" | Less waifu, more wi-fi
Wiki (complete) | Space (WIP) | Map | Capital | MEACU | Micronesia | Tropes | Anthem ♪ | Civ ♫ | Futuristic playlist ♬ | Why Japan needs upgrades

The Fourth Khaganate
Attaché

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fourth Khaganate » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Yeah, it was compulsory. Granted, we never had anything as advanced as studying compound interest and hyperinflation in HS, but Europe's different. We don't even have Religion classes in most High Schools here.
Genuinely interested in German culture or have a German themed non-Nazi/Fascist nation and want to participate in a greater community? Join UGN today!

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Yeah, it was compulsory. Granted, we never had anything as advanced as studying compound interest and hyperinflation in HS, but Europe's different. We don't even have Religion classes in most High Schools here.

Here in California we don't have any religious classes. In fact, I don't think public schools are allowed to legally have religious classes, as that violates Separation of Church and State clause in the Constitution.
Last edited by Agymnum on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 pm

I thought FOX News could not get any dumber before I heard this. I now know I was wrong.
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General