NATION

PASSWORD

Things you'd consider "common knowledge"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

CVT Temp
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:I was once stunned when i met someone who thought the world was 6000 years old.

We have lots of those around here.
Иф ю кан рид дис, ю ар рили борд ор ю ар Россияне.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 pm

CVT Temp wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:I was once stunned when i met someone who thought the world was 6000 years old.

Once stunned. :p
I was like
"What? What the fuck?"
suddenly I had learned about creationism, and from then on, I met loads :p
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

North Stradia
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby North Stradia » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 pm

CVT Temp wrote:

My 8th grade science teacher was a creationist. In CALIFORNIA. And 8th grade is when we are supposed to learn about evolution. Thank God for Wikipedia.
I am a Feudo-capitalist, egoist, and a supporter of plutocracy.
R.I.P. Sark, the last feudalist State in the world, born 933, died 2008
Economic Left/Right: +9.89
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +8.12
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neocon: +5.88
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: +2.90

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:17 pm

North Stradia wrote:
CVT Temp wrote:We have lots of those around here.

My 8th grade science teacher was a creationist. In CALIFORNIA. And 8th grade is when we are supposed to learn about evolution. Thank God for Wikipedia.

:eyebrow: Dafuq?
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Costa Alegria
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Alegria » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 pm

North Stradia wrote:I'm always shocked how many people don't understand the difference between "too" and "to", or "your" and "you're".

"There" and "their" also. It's the visual equivalent of dragging one's fingernails down the blackboard of common sense.
I AM THE RHYMENOCEROUS!
Member of the [under new management] in the NSG Senate

If You Lot Really Must Know...
Pro: Legalisation of Marijuana, LGBT rights, freedom of speech, freedom of press, democracy yadda yadda.
Con: Nationalism, authoritariansim, totalitarianism, omnipotent controlling religious beliefs, general stupidity.
Meh: Everything else that I can't be fucked giving an opinion about.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Khadgar wrote:
Honestly though, why get worked up over an internet debate? I've been on here too long, there's nothing people can say that will make me care anymore.

I don't even get worked up IRL anymore, if someone is wrong I just let them go unless I think they want to learn if they get defensive about it I let it be.

I think the problem might be that the native tongue of the internet is hyperbole. Nothing is good or bad, it's the best ever and worst ever. There are no more matters of degrees, we replaced all our knobs with switches. And if there is anything that the internet abhors it is effort.

So if we find an abhorrent idea 'mildly upsetting' it's 'You mad?' It's 'rage' when really it might just be run of the mill frustration and encountering yet another person with this stupid ass idea. When Bottle says 'shows emotion' I don't imagine her (as one of those posable artist reference dolls wearing a smock...you're all basically one of those dolls with a prop...) throwing her arms in the air and yelling at the screen...I don't imagine she is visibly upset except to maybe turn to whoever she's with and saying "Oh for fuck's sake..."

That...that doesn't seem like what we'd call 'over emotional.' Exasperation is an emotion.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

North Stradia
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby North Stradia » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 pm

You would think that most Americans could identify on a map the country that we spent almost a decade at war with. Wrong.
I am a Feudo-capitalist, egoist, and a supporter of plutocracy.
R.I.P. Sark, the last feudalist State in the world, born 933, died 2008
Economic Left/Right: +9.89
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +8.12
Foreign Policy Non-Interventionist/Neocon: +5.88
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: +2.90

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm

North Stradia wrote:You would think that most Americans could identify on a map the country that we spent almost a decade at war with. Wrong.

You'd think they know what the fifty states are too. Trust me, they don't. Not even APUSH students know this.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Resource Extraction Solutions Inc
Attaché

Founded: Dec 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Resource Extraction Solutions Inc » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 pm

I was surprised that my 8th grade science teacher had no knowledge about special relativity or nuclear physics. She said that mass cannot be created or destroyed, and marked me wrong when I explaind nuclear transmutation when answering a question about why the alchemists of the 1600s were unable of changing one element into another.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 pm

North Stradia wrote:You would think that most Americans could identify on a map the country that we spent almost a decade at war with. Wrong.

I was going to mount a defense of how much value having memorized a map was, but then I remembered the foreign policy debate where a completely fucked notion of where Syria is was the basis of a foreign policy proposal...so...yeah...maybe that should be better.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

That homosexuality is not a choice.

That having no government is inherently a bad thing.

That 9/11 was not an inside job.

That Bush was a shitty President.

That squirrels carry rabies (yes, I've actually come across people who didn't know that).
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Orrachius
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Orrachius » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:36 am

My parents are young-Earth creationists. Drives me nuts. We went to a museum in Paris which touted ancient artefacts, whereas she asked me how this was possible if the earth was only 4000 years old. :(

On the subject of grammar, apostrophes. Thought everyone knew how to use them properly, but it seems that their misuse is more common than their proper use now. I get really mad about it, too.

FT puppet of Grandais/Khazmatistan. No IC relation to either.
No relation to Warhammer either.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:37 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:I think the problem might be that the native tongue of the internet is hyperbole. Nothing is good or bad, it's the best ever and worst ever. There are no more matters of degrees, we replaced all our knobs with switches. And if there is anything that the internet abhors it is effort.

So if we find an abhorrent idea 'mildly upsetting' it's 'You mad?' It's 'rage' when really it might just be run of the mill frustration and encountering yet another person with this stupid ass idea. When Bottle says 'shows emotion' I don't imagine her (as one of those posable artist reference dolls wearing a smock...you're all basically one of those dolls with a prop...) throwing her arms in the air and yelling at the screen...I don't imagine she is visibly upset except to maybe turn to whoever she's with and saying "Oh for fuck's sake..."

That...that doesn't seem like what we'd call 'over emotional.' Exasperation is an emotion.

I can't believe you said that. This is the worst. I'm going to set myself on fire!
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 am

I try not to assume anything is common knowledge but every now and again I am utterly shocked at how little some people know.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:54 am

Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Orrachius
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Orrachius » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Got one.
This'll drive you all nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IFdWBPRrxo

Oh man, that's terrible.

FT puppet of Grandais/Khazmatistan. No IC relation to either.
No relation to Warhammer either.

Winland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Winland » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:54 am

North Stradia wrote:I'm always shocked how many people don't understand the difference between "too" and "to", or "your" and "you're".

Whenever I tap enter a little too fast only to find that I've made one of those mistakes, I die a little inside.
In other words — and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded — their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.

Bodies Without Organs
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bodies Without Organs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 am

... North Stradia » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:28 pm
You would think that most Americans could
identify on a map the country that we spent almost
a decade at war with. Wrong.

Which country on that page was the USA at war with for almost a decade?

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 am

Khadgar wrote:
Bottle wrote:Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't see why "internet debate" would be any different from any other discussion.

People can say things that get a reaction from me, because how my fellow humans think and act will directly impact my life. And I certainly have emotional reactions to a lot of news and current events, so why would I be "less emotional" discussing them via internet than I would be, say, on the phone? I just don't differentiate that much between modes of communication, I guess.

I might just be jaded. If someone shows up in person talking bullshit I might argue with them, but there's no point to that either. People tend not to change their views evidence be damned. It doesn't matter if I point out the truth, they won't believe it. I prefer to argue online, it's much easier to verify things.

Oh, well see, that's not about you being jaded...that's actually about you still being idealistic enough to think of arguments in terms of whether or not you can convince the person you are arguing with.

I've long since abandoned that. See, I only get into an argument when I'm pretty sure I can make a damn solid case, because I've thought about the subject a lot and I've done my homework. Assuming the other party doesn't immediately roll over and show their belly in defeat, there are two probable outcomes:

1) The other person is equally (or better) educated on the subject and has reached different conclusions than I have, and we are simply not going to agree due to fundamental differences in values or ideology.

2) The other person has no fucking idea what they're talking about but is determined to argue anyhow, and therefore is unlikely to let little things like "fact" or "reason" interfere with their opinion.

In neither case is there any significant chance that I will convince the other party. So, I don't try.

Instead, I use arguments to either gain information for my own benefit, refine my own thinking, or benefit the "lurkers." I like contributing to a culture that tells bigots to knock it the fuck off, not because I think the bigots will learn anything but because it makes life nicer for the rest of us. I like making sure that shitty data and flawed logic are called out, not because the people who employ them are ever likely to improve but because it sets a better standard for the rest of us.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Smartass alcoholics
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Smartass alcoholics » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 am

Winland wrote:

Whenever I tap enter a little too fast only to find that I've made one of those mistakes, I die a little inside.

Whenever I find one of those mistakes on a post of mine, i always try to fix it. When i don't, i find out by a random grammar nazi who feels like pointing it out. -_-
EDIT: I've seen someone throw in a "two" along with too and to. Amazing. :palm:
Last edited by Smartass alcoholics on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation RP details: United Dominion of Caustancia
Leader: Ketsueki Maru
Current RPing military officials:
-Captain Nile Skorge
-Commander Connor Jakoby
-Warrant Officer Selena Polaski

"When life gives you lemons, ask it for lemonade instead"

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:
I don't even get worked up IRL anymore, if someone is wrong I just let them go unless I think they want to learn if they get defensive about it I let it be.

I think the problem might be that the native tongue of the internet is hyperbole. Nothing is good or bad, it's the best ever and worst ever. There are no more matters of degrees, we replaced all our knobs with switches. And if there is anything that the internet abhors it is effort.

Well if you're going to be THAT way about it. All fuckin' touchy feely and shit. Expect no less from one of THOSE people.

United States of Peace
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Peace » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Menassa wrote:The Difference between the Torah and Talmud.... I mean not the deep differences but at least that they're not the same thing.

Ehlohai :palm:

:blink:

Really?

Damn.

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

United States of Raptors
Minister

Founded: Dec 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Raptors » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:I only have one:

That most people in NSG actually know that much about history/archaeology in the first place.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General