NATION

PASSWORD

What is your sexuality? For people who are not closed minded

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your sexuality?

Straight
57%
Gay or Lesbian
12%
Bisexual
16%
Asexual
7%
I'm not sure
8%

Total votes : 840

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:45 am

Tagmatium wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:I consider it everyones duty to police their own :p it allows us to take them seriously when they say thinks like "anti-immigration policy isn't racist." if their allies are continually being racists and they do/say nothing about it, they start to look more odd than if they chewed them out all the time.

Well, fair enough.

Ostreoeuropa: Brony Police.

I do get what you mean, though. Again, I suspect the label of "spinelessness" might stick if thrown at me.

But then Zweite Alaje strikes me as one of the sort who is ten-a-penny on this site and elsewhere. Narrow-minded and not really wanting their treasured preconceptions shaken by those who don't share their same world-view. A bit confirmed by referring to himself as "infamous" in his sig. Perhaps not so much "infamous" as "making everyone else shake their heads in despair".

I wouldn't consider it spineless unless they started gaining momentum and convincing people, and then I suspect you'd start taking notice.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 am

Tagmatium wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Because you aren't a tool. Not everyone thinks that way and I don't want to be accused of bigotry just because I have a pony in my flag, so I need to at least make a token gesture. we're also both syndicalists.

Fair enough.

Honestly, from what I've seen, he's probably the minority. At least, from what I've seen of it in NS. I don't tend to go out of my way to find all of MLP-fans' hideouts on this website. In some regards, I avoid them. I don't particularly like the programme, from what little I've seen of it. Ain't my cup of tea.

*drinks tea*

Although one could probably accuse me of lacking backbone and copping out to bigots by not attempting to challenge them in their ignorance.

One could, but IMHO to prevent such accusations, it is sufficient merely to offer solidarity and vocal support to those who are challenging bigotry at the moment.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:Well, fair enough.

Ostreoeuropa: Brony Police.

I do get what you mean, though. Again, I suspect the label of "spinelessness" might stick if thrown at me.

But then Zweite Alaje strikes me as one of the sort who is ten-a-penny on this site and elsewhere. Narrow-minded and not really wanting their treasured preconceptions shaken by those who don't share their same world-view. A bit confirmed by referring to himself as "infamous" in his sig. Perhaps not so much "infamous" as "making everyone else shake their heads in despair".

I wouldn't consider it spineless unless they started gaining momentum and convincing people, and then I suspect you'd start taking notice.

I think you're right on that point. Probably more of a case of deep apathy at this point in time.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:54 am

Tagmatium wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:I wouldn't consider it spineless unless they started gaining momentum and convincing people, and then I suspect you'd start taking notice.

I think you're right on that point. Probably more of a case of deep apathy at this point in time.

Meh, residents enjoying a park typically aren't obliged to clean up after other people's dogs. You're here on your off time. Some of us just like having a bagful of shit in our hands.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 am

Free South Califas wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:I think you're right on that point. Probably more of a case of deep apathy at this point in time.

Meh, residents enjoying a park typically aren't obliged to clean up after other people's dogs. You're here on your off time. Some of us just like having a bagful of shit in our hands.

I consider it community service for the times when I've espoused wrong beliefs :p
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 am

Free South Califas wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:Fair enough.

Honestly, from what I've seen, he's probably the minority. At least, from what I've seen of it in NS. I don't tend to go out of my way to find all of MLP-fans' hideouts on this website. In some regards, I avoid them. I don't particularly like the programme, from what little I've seen of it. Ain't my cup of tea.

*drinks tea*

Although one could probably accuse me of lacking backbone and copping out to bigots by not attempting to challenge them in their ignorance.

One could, but IMHO to prevent such accusations, it is sufficient merely to offer solidarity and vocal support to those who are challenging bigotry at the moment.

Yeah, you're right. Very much so, in fact.

Also, in this particular case, I don't know much about the issues that face trans people, but I certainly cannot condone the idea that they're some how defective or anything like that. In fact, I find suggestions such as that pretty offensive.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 am

Tagmatium wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:One could, but IMHO to prevent such accusations, it is sufficient merely to offer solidarity and vocal support to those who are challenging bigotry at the moment.

Yeah, you're right. Very much so, in fact.

Also, in this particular case, I don't know much about the issues that face trans people, but I certainly cannot condone the idea that they're some how defective or anything like that. In fact, I find suggestions such as that pretty offensive.

Sure they are defective.
They have defective genitals, and an operation is required to bring them into being healthy. What isn't true is the idea of a defective mind. And just like if someone were born with a completely operable defect it wouldn't be considered a huge deal, we shouldn't consider transsexuality a huge deal either. It's just a quirk of biology. Sometimes people are born with physical defects, and we intervene.
No biggie. Nothing worth discriminating over, we're not nazis.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:10 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:Yeah, you're right. Very much so, in fact.

Sure they are defective.
They have defective genitals, and an operation is required to bring them into being healthy. What isn't true is the idea of a defective mind. And just like if someone were born with a completely operable defect it wouldn't be considered a huge deal, we shouldn't consider transsexuality a huge deal either. It's just a quirk of biology. Sometimes people are born with physical defects, and we intervene.

Well, you know what I mean, though.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:11 am

Tagmatium wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Sure they are defective.

Well, you know what I mean, though.

I enjoy being a pedant :p
Ostro.MOV

Sardakhar
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardakhar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:18 am

I'm asexual - I just have little interest in s-x. Otherwise, I'm straight.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:23 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:Well, you know what I mean, though.

I enjoy being a pedant :p

You monster.

I thought you pony-people were all about friendship and love and shit?
Sardakhar wrote:I'm asexual - I just have little interest in s-x. Otherwise, I'm straight.

Why the missing out of the "e" in "sex" when you've already got the same word in "asexual"?

United Federation of Francis Republic
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Francis Republic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:35 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
United Federation of Francis Republic wrote:Lesbian, stone butch, and proud of it.

Can you define Butch for me? it's never been clear to me. I've seen very disparate people claim to be butch and can't really find any underlying connection other than they are females. I tend to take their word for it.

A masculine lesbian. Their appearance or behavior are pretty masculine.
“Give to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself - that is my doctrine.”― Thomas Paine, The Age Of Reason
"Don't be fooled by what's on the surface." - My Ex girlfriend.
Economic Left/Right: 5.30
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.30
You are a neoliberal Democrat.

Nation name : United Federation of Francis Republic
Capital City : Yulia City
Head of State : President Stanley Francis Lee
Head of Government : Prime Minister Lilach Kohen
Population :25,000,000
Troops : total all 2,500,000

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:38 am

United Federation of Francis Republic wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
Can you define Butch for me? it's never been clear to me. I've seen very disparate people claim to be butch and can't really find any underlying connection other than they are females. I tend to take their word for it.

See, that's what I thought. But it'd mean that some of the people who said they are aren't :p
Ostro.MOV

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:50 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Tagmatium wrote:So?

People who like MLP are people too, therefore as full of ignorance, bitterness and bile as the rest of us mere mortals.

His ignorance/close-mindedness is here for all to see, he's not changing his opinion and he's digging himself in deeper.

It's a lost cause, although that might give him a misplaced sense of victory.

Thats the point.
He has a pony flag and he's making us look bad. I usually confront people who agree with me or are my allies about their bullshit a lot quicker than my enemies.
The fact he is a brony is only a loose connection but I applied the principle nonetheless.

I respect the shit out of that.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

United Federation of Francis Republic
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Francis Republic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

See, that's what I thought. But it'd mean that some of the people who said they are aren't :p

Really? How come? Butch is masculine, in their behavior or appearance, so, if they are not masculine, they might be andro or femme.
andro is not really masculine but not feminine, in the middle.
“Give to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself - that is my doctrine.”― Thomas Paine, The Age Of Reason
"Don't be fooled by what's on the surface." - My Ex girlfriend.
Economic Left/Right: 5.30
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.30
You are a neoliberal Democrat.

Nation name : United Federation of Francis Republic
Capital City : Yulia City
Head of State : President Stanley Francis Lee
Head of Government : Prime Minister Lilach Kohen
Population :25,000,000
Troops : total all 2,500,000

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:05 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Really? How come? Butch is masculine, in their behavior or appearance, so, if they are not masculine, they might be andro or femme.
andro is not really masculine but not feminine, in the middle.

The ones i'm thinking of were definitely feminine. I've also met some who fit the definition you gave, which is why i ended up confused.
Mostly I just decided it doesn't really effect me so not to bother with it.
Ostro.MOV

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:47 am

Zweite Alaje wrote:
Choronzon wrote:

>Transexuallity
> Trans thinks their something they're not
> People that think they're something they're not aren't mentally healthy
> People wish to normalize an unhealthy mental state

So because you think they're mentally unhealthy (and lets be clear here...it is just you and your ilk who keep saying they're mentally unhealthy) this naturally means it shouldn't be normalized.

Your answer is, as usual, a really round about way of saying "It should be ostracized because I don't like it."

Protip- people would take you way more seriously if you could come up with something better than "Things I find icky are bad."

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:50 am

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:No, they're generally perfectly aware of what their situation is. They have the brain circuitry that would go with the set of genitals which unfortunately is not the one they have.

Please, no one start attacking me and yelling at me and stuff. I just have a question.

Sex is determined by whether or not you have a y-chromosome. Males have y-chromosomes, females have x-chromosomes.
So, since a male has an x chromosome, I can understand male to female transsexuality, but where's the "brain circuitry" come from for female to male transsexuality?
It was actually Ende's monkey comment that made me think of this first, but I didn't ask it right away.

And, again, please, anyone who is reading this - do not attack me for asking an honest question.

Gender is a socially reinforced construction. It's not inherently harmful, but has been used to cause a tremendous amount of damage to people in the past and large groups of people are still trying to do this today.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:56 am

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:No, they're generally perfectly aware of what their situation is. They have the brain circuitry that would go with the set of genitals which unfortunately is not the one they have.

Please, no one start attacking me and yelling at me and stuff. I just have a question.

Sex is determined by whether or not you have a y-chromosome. Males have y-chromosomes, females have x-chromosomes.
So, since a male has an x chromosome, I can understand male to female transsexuality, but where's the "brain circuitry" come from for female to male transsexuality?

It's actually a lot more complicated at the genetic level. You can have individuals who are XY, yet who are physiologically female, because what really matters is the activation of a particular gene locus called SRY. If you have a Y chromosome but your SRY does not activate, then you will remain female (all fetuses start out as female) and you will look like a perfectly normal girl in terms of how your body develops.

You also need to remember that relatively little information is contained on the Y chromosome. The vast majority of coding for "brain circuitry" is not on the Y chromosome (indeed, I'm not sure there is any coding for "brain circuitry" contained on the Y at all, but this is not my area of expertise). You have 46 chromosomes and only one of them is the Y, after all...small wonder that there is so very little difference between "male brains" and "female brains"!
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:57 am

Bottle wrote:
Tlaceceyaya wrote:Please, no one start attacking me and yelling at me and stuff. I just have a question.

It's actually a lot more complicated at the genetic level. You can have individuals who are XY, yet who are physiologically female, because what really matters is the activation of a particular gene locus called SRY. If you have a Y chromosome but your SRY does not activate, then you will remain female (all fetuses start out as female) and you will look like a perfectly normal girl in terms of how your body develops.

You also need to remember that relatively little information is contained on the Y chromosome. The vast majority of coding for "brain circuitry" is not on the Y chromosome (indeed, I'm not sure there is any coding for "brain circuitry" contained on the Y at all, but this is not my area of expertise). You have 46 chromosomes and only one of them is the Y, after all...small wonder that there is so very little difference between "male brains" and "female brains"!

But... but... state scientist discover womans brain is size of squirrel!
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Vashtanaraada
Minister

Founded: Nov 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vashtanaraada » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 am

is metrosexual a sexuality? it applies 2 me......
19 Year Old Male, British (Scouser), Bassist, plays Heavy Metal + Hard Rock
Apatheist, Ex-Smoker and Ex-Stoner, Bi-Curious, ENFP Personality Type
University Student and Member of The Labour Party (United Kingdom)
-9.13 Economic
-6.00 Social
FOR - Democratic Socialism/ Classical Marxism/ Trade-Unionism/ Pro-Choice/ Anti-Nationalism/ Revolution/ Direct Democracy/ Internationalism/ Soft Drugs/ L.G.B.T Rights/ Ecologism/ Gender Equality.

AGAINST - Fascism/ Capitalism/ Conservatism/ Militarism/ Racism/ Homophobia/ Oligarchy/ Monarchy/ Hierarchy/ Austerity/ Dictatorships/ Leninism/ Privatisation/ Stereotypes/ Nuclear Weaponry.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:13 am

Vashtanaraada wrote:is metrosexual a sexuality? it applies 2 me......

I think it's more an attitude towards traditionally female exclusive beauty products and treatments.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 am

Zweite Alaje wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:Absolutely unacceptable. Nobody owes you an apology for your ignorance.

I'm not seeking apology, I'm challenging them to counterattack. I feel their anger, but it is pointless if you don't do anything about it. They may as well haven't responded.

We have explained to you what reality is. You have stubbornly chosen ignorance. What more is there to say?
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 am

Ifreann wrote:
Vashtanaraada wrote:is metrosexual a sexuality? it applies 2 me......

I think it's more an attitude towards traditionally female exclusive beauty products and treatments.

Hey, I only smell like this because a girl attacked me with perfume earlier. It's not my fault. Shut up.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 am

Zweite Alaje wrote:
Choronzon wrote:

>Transexuallity
> Trans thinks their something they're not
> People that think they're something they're not aren't mentally healthy
> People wish to normalize an unhealthy mental state

Have you ever met a trans person?
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General