NATION

PASSWORD

Ga. mom shoots intruder 5 times, saves children

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Gauthier wrote:Eventually we'll reach a point where you can shoot someone dead for stepping on your lawn and it would be accepted as self defense.

You would get in trouble. Make sure you drag the person into your house.

Plant a gun on him too. You know, that spare you keep in your dresser just for emergencies.

Along with the vial of crack, in case he's colored.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Hrokr
Secretary

Founded: Dec 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrokr » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 am

I haven't really formulated an opinion on gun control, but I'll just say that I don't really blame her.

If I was hiding in a closet with my children and they opened the closet door, I'd probably shoot out of sheer terror. Then again, I am completely spineless.
My country doesn't reflect my real politics... mostly.

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 am

Vareiln wrote:
Dilange wrote:Wow.

So a woman open fires, out of fear, on a man who broke into her house with the intent to rob it. I see nothing in this that the man intended to KILL anyone. He had a crowbar for breaking in. Hes a plan. Why not point the gun at the man without firing the gun? He obviously had no weapon to counter it. She luckily didnt kill the man after shooting him in the face and neck.

This is why I hate guns. Everyone praises that the gun saved the family from a harmless robber who would have run away at the sight of people in the house, but instead ignore how this lady almost panic-killed this man. Such double standards.

I love how you assume the robber is harmless and would have run away. While that is one possibility, it is not necessarily what would have happened.

You do not know much about robberies right? WHen people are caught in the act, they run.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 am

Conventiala wrote:A man can overpower a woman

That is not categorically true.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am

Warinemachine wrote:
Stedicules wrote:I would rather him take my TV or something else. Why would you ever want to someone's life over a trivial thing like material wealth? Human life is far more important.

The man would have harmed her children

Evidence?

Actions listed suggest he was looking to rob an empty home.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am

Dilange wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:If I invaded someones home and they simply walked out and said 'gtfo' I'd probably assault them.

Especially if they saw my face and good look at it. Though that would pretty much end up with me committing murder.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. A common robber would run, because if they knew you were there, then cops are not too far behind.

Depends on the neighborhood.

I'd still do it.

I think I need to chat with a head doc sometime. I don't think I'm all 'right' in the noggin.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

United Aryan Asian Alliance
Envoy

Founded: Jan 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Aryan Asian Alliance » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am

It takes a very skewed mindset to think a home invader is a victim here. This is as terrible as that Brady Campaign ad that advises women to get raped rather then use guns for self defense.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am

Hrokr wrote:If I was hiding in a closet with my children and they opened the closet door, I'd probably shoot out of sheer terror. Then again, I am completely spineless.

Congratulations, you've won the "only fucking HONEST person in an internet gun control debate" prize. Sorry for the dust, we...well, it's been sitting for a long time...

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 am

Clearly the man should have been armed so he could have protected himself from an unprovoked attack.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 am

Gaveo wrote:
Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Ah, well, that's good at least.

Yes. I care about the robber's life. Most won't, but I do.

He could have killed the three, and you still care about the robber? Wtf?

I don't base my opinions on "could haves."
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 am

Dilange wrote:
Vareiln wrote:I love how you assume the robber is harmless and would have run away. While that is one possibility, it is not necessarily what would have happened.

You do not know much about robberies right? WHen people are caught in the act, they run.

Especially if they find a gun pointed at them.

They also have this habit of moving on if a voice answers the doorbell.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 am

Stedicules wrote:
United Aryan Asian Alliance wrote:
Another case of guns saving lives. Good thing we have the second amendment.

Yeah because the intruder was definitely intent on murdering her and her children, that's why he knocked and rang the doorbell, to see if anyone was home. He assumed nobody was and broke in.

She murdered him, plain and simple, on a hunch. yay guns.

Nope, not murder.

Title 16, Chapter 3, Article 2, Section 23
O.C.G.A. 16-3-23 (2010)
16-3-23. Use of force in defense of habitation

A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a habitation; however, such person is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:

(1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent and tumultuous manner and he or she reasonably believes that the entry is attempted or made for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person dwelling or being therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the assault or offer of personal violence;

(2) That force is used against another person who is not a member of the family or household and who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence and the person using such force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred; or

(3) The person using such force reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.

Sauce.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 am

Neo Art wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
You would get in trouble. Make sure you drag the person into your house.

Plant a gun on him too. You know, that spare you keep in your dresser just for emergencies.

You don't need the vial of crack if he's a colored teenager.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:20 am

I don't see how anyone can blame the mom though. If someone breaks into a house, I would say you have the right to shoot...

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:20 am

United Aryan Asian Alliance wrote:It takes a very skewed mindset to think a home invader is a victim here. This is as terrible as that Brady Campaign ad that advises women to get raped rather then use guns for self defense.

Again, Welcome to NS. Tis the norm around here sadly.

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:20 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:So she shot someone dead because he wanted to take her things.

Sorry, I don't particularly care for that.

Now she'll forever live with herself reliving that moment of killing that man - hope she's ok with that.

No, she shot someone dead because he invaded her home where she and two children were at.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:20 am

San-Silvacian wrote:Depends on the neighborhood.

I'd still do it.

I think I need to chat with a head doc sometime. I don't think I'm all 'right' in the noggin.

I own a fake gun but had someone make it look real. My house was broken into when I was home. I came downstairs with the fake gun and the man bolted out of my house.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

Caninope wrote:
Stedicules wrote:Yeah because the intruder was definitely intent on murdering her and her children, that's why he knocked and rang the doorbell, to see if anyone was home. He assumed nobody was and broke in.

She murdered him, plain and simple, on a hunch. yay guns.

Nope, not murder.

Title 16, Chapter 3, Article 2, Section 23
O.C.G.A. 16-3-23 (2010)
16-3-23. Use of force in defense of habitation

A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a habitation; however, such person is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:

(1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent and tumultuous manner and he or she reasonably believes that the entry is attempted or made for the purpose of assaulting or offering personal violence to any person dwelling or being therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the assault or offer of personal violence;

(2) That force is used against another person who is not a member of the family or household and who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence and the person using such force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred; or

(3) The person using such force reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.

Sauce.

While I appreciate your legal dilligence and willingness to actually review criminal code, and at least begin us on the road to discussing Georgia's Castle Doctrine statute, I think the far easier argument for why it's not murder is the fact that he's not actually dead.

Stedicules
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

Caninope wrote:snip

you're right. nobody in the history of USA has ever gone to jail for something that should've been labeled self-defense.
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

Tarvelia wrote:
Odawara Hojo wrote:So now that's one story of guns actually doing good to.....what? 50 instances of them being used for ill? Sorry but this one story is not going to change my view that guns cause more problems than they solve.

http://gunssavelives.net/

The story mentioned here is like third on this list.

Gee, that site isn't biased at all, nope, no sirree.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

Gauthier wrote:
Neo Art wrote:

You don't need the vial of crack if he's a colored teenager.

Probably has his own then, amirite?

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 am

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
United Aryan Asian Alliance wrote:It takes a very skewed mindset to think a home invader is a victim here. This is as terrible as that Brady Campaign ad that advises women to get raped rather then use guns for self defense.

Again, Welcome to NS. Tis the norm around here sadly.

I wouldn't call it the norm just because a few people think the intruder is the victim.

United Aryan Asian Alliance
Envoy

Founded: Jan 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Aryan Asian Alliance » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 am

Gaveo wrote:He could have killed the three, and you still care about the robber? Wtf?

I guess the police should only act when crimes are already committed, and never attempt to prevent it.

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 am

Gaveo wrote:He could have killed the three, and you still care about the robber? Wtf?

Still the man was taking things that wasn't his. Don't tell me that you think this is fine.
Bruh.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 am

Neo Art wrote:Here's my million dollar question. Has anyone confirmed whether or not the robber was armed?

I'm still waiting on confirmation he was a robber, and not someone on a legitimate errand concerned when there was absolutely no answer.

Xenohumanity wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General