NATION

PASSWORD

Will you side with the Transhumanists?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support transhumanism?

I support transhumanism.
37%
I oppose transhumanism.
15%
I don't care about transhumanism.
9%
I don't know what transhumanism is.
7%
Best of luck, Buck Rogers. In 10,000 years there will still be a version of a toilet, so take your Turing-quality sex-bot fantasies back to 4chan.
22%
Myrth
2%
Neither Support Nor Oppose. Leave me Out of it.
7%

Total votes : 203

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Renegade Babylonian Kings wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:It's not the worst. It's just possible to conceive of a better one.
Evolution only gets you as far as "Good enough." it does not deliver optimal.

If transhumanism can give us what evolution will not (at least not for a long long time), what wars shall we fight over what to deem optimal?

Suppose a few of the master cogno-physicists claim, with some merit of rigor, that it is not optimal to some purpose or other that we maintain independent cognition?

Will you join the NPA (National Psychics Association) today, and help James Woods preserve your right to explode other people's head's telekinetically like in Scanners, detailed in the Majority Decision penned by Anton Scalia Clone XXIII?

Also, anyone too young to get that reference, I hate you a great deal. Bastards.

I see no reason for a war when an economy does the job.
Oh, you want to buy the ability to see really far?
Seems pointless bro. I'm going for a better immune system.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Renegade Babylonian Kings
Envoy

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:00 pm

East Williamsburg wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:
It's not about God. From an atheist POV you've backed yourself into a corner here. If we assume humans just evolved like any other species, and recognize that evolution tends to select those most fit to reproduce, and recognize that those most fit to reproduce tend to be the most fit overall, then we realize that human testicles have evolved because they are the most fit for the species overall.

And that's why I support the transhumanism. :)

Yes, I've heard some are already getting groupons for the metalized-nitrogen field-bolstered cyber-coconut defense scrotums of the future.
I am a devout follower of the Church of the Walken God. I urge you to get a copy of the Bible of the Church of the Walken God, which also includes a plea to atheists. It will change your life, presuming naturally that your life state is largely defined by your immediate exposure to Christopher Walken and his films. Be safe, and Keep Walken.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Renegade Babylonian Kings wrote:Explain more about the way it marginalizes mankind. What of its existence pushes us to the margin, and to what conceptual margins?

The thing in the future listening to us likes specificity with this language, where possible. One of the meta-anayltic substations on Wittgenstein IV is quite insistent on the point. Our apologies.

Is this some weird ARG we're being roped into here?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

What about the one that gives you perspective of unbounded possibilities blended in a theater of cogno-coalescencse that gives you all truth and beauty, fed at the pace best fit to your neurocrysallis as you become an endless otherness that can play Petanque with the rest of the Gods all day and enjoy it, or...

...rocking breasts. And I mean rocking. Like, beat out any other b*tch in the club, rocking. Really, really great boobs. Just awesome.

Then what?
I am a devout follower of the Church of the Walken God. I urge you to get a copy of the Bible of the Church of the Walken God, which also includes a plea to atheists. It will change your life, presuming naturally that your life state is largely defined by your immediate exposure to Christopher Walken and his films. Be safe, and Keep Walken.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:

What about the one that gives you perspective of unbounded possibilities blended in a theater of cogno-coalescencse that gives you all truth and beauty, fed at the pace best fit to your neurocrysallis as you become an endless otherness that can play Petanque with the rest of the Gods all day and enjoy it, or...

...rocking breasts. And I mean rocking. Like, beat out any other b*tch in the club, rocking. Really, really great boobs. Just awesome.

Then what?

Might be good for an afternoon or two. You could always uninstall.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Renegade Babylonian Kings wrote:Explain more about the way it marginalizes mankind. What of its existence pushes us to the margin, and to what conceptual margins?

The thing in the future listening to us likes specificity with this language, where possible. One of the meta-anayltic substations on Wittgenstein IV is quite insistent on the point. Our apologies.

Is this some weird ARG we're being roped into here?

No, that's just flavor text. Please eschew at your slightest preference.

The earlier part was quite sincere.

HOlY Christus Krieger
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby HOlY Christus Krieger » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Im opposed to Transhumanism

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:14 pm

HOlY Christus Krieger wrote:Im opposed to Transhumanism

That's cool. Now say more things that involve why and how. To what length?

If the governor (or whoever runs your part of the world) called up the reserve citizen psychic militia to defend against a Militant Transhumanist Chrono-dysjunction Strike occurring in exactly three minutes and also exactly 3000 years, would you answer the call?

There's strong, and then there's psychic army strong.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Also... details of my own position...

Yes I would. Why? Because I very much prefer a nigh-immortal body made of metal and circuitry to the current sack of flesh that breaks horribly if I fall off a roof or perform heavy work for too long.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Renegade Babylonian Kings wrote:No, that's just flavor text. Please eschew at your slightest preference.

Mankind is the eternal apex predator; for ever so long as there is a threat, we can identify and eliminate it with mass action, simultaneously, across the entire world. We are more powerful than anything that could possibly exist, and if we are not, it is our duty to change the situation to where we are once more unchallenged.

If this singularity should arise, this superintelligence that supposedly cannot be stopped and is so far above us as to be unchallengable, we should destroy it, for it is unpredictable in its power and inhumanity.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Renegade Babylonian Kings wrote:No, that's just flavor text. Please eschew at your slightest preference.

Mankind is the eternal apex predator; for ever so long as there is a threat, we can identify and eliminate it with mass action, simultaneously, across the entire world. We are more powerful than anything that could possibly exist, and if we are not, it is our duty to change the situation to where we are once more unchallenged.

If this singularity should arise, this superintelligence that supposedly cannot be stopped and is so far above us as to be unchallengable, we should destroy it, for it is unpredictable in its power and inhumanity.

Humanity is resilient. Humans are cockroaches- now why isn't there a TVTropes page for that?

I think humans could defeat transhumans by simply exploiting their inflexibility and dependence on technology. It's called an EMP.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Mankind is the eternal apex predator; for ever so long as there is a threat, we can identify and eliminate it with mass action, simultaneously, across the entire world. We are more powerful than anything that could possibly exist, and if we are not, it is our duty to change the situation to where we are once more unchallenged.

Humanity is resilient. Humans are cockroaches- now why isn't there a TVTropes page for that?

I think humans could defeat transhumans by simply exploiting their inflexibility and dependence on technology. It's called an EMP.

It's called an EMP shield. We already have them IIRC.

EDIT: Yep. Confirmed that is what faraday cages do.
Last edited by The Emerald Legion on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Trollgaard wrote:That was a very long-winded an unhelpful OP. But your belief in the singularity is the same belief of Christians believing in the return of Jesus.

And as to the question:

No, I won't side with transhumanists.

Well, that's a problem, because your job was to build the Dyson sphere that managed entanglement traffic in sector Delta Kappa Kappa, the sorority galaxy.

Thanks for letting down the team.

You find transhumanism technically non-feasible? Or some other objection?

What are you talking about there is now a doorway to soroity galaxy, I just spent my Weekend there. wow it was very close to death by snu snu before i got out.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:Eh? Until recently, we didn't have any technology to deliberately change our biology, and what little we do have now is not really up to the task.

It's called evolution.

Are you telling me that you're denying one of the central theories of modern biology?

Humans have developed the way they have over millions of years of evolution because that path of development was the best-suited for them.

Please... We developed the the way we did because of many changing selective pressures applied to us, limited by our evolutionary history and by the random mutations that happened to appear. The notion that we're "best-suited" for anything beyond that is silly and contrary to the evidence. Our bodies are the best that evolutionary forces happed to produce, not the best that they can be.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:52 pm

So in a sense this is a rejection of transhumanism (or whichever sections of it you refer to) as a threat to our own survival, that might brush us all aside catastrophically without reference for our parental role? Now I know how God must've felt when He realized he wasn't needed anymore. No wonder he mostly acts like "Angry Santa" these days...

Perhaps then rejecting transhumanism is a survival mechanism, reacting to the unknowable and all the ill-defined yet potentially very real risks piggy backing along like a kilogram full of weaponsgrade whatever up the ass of a true believer about to board a plane to humanity's next step.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:53 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:Also... details of my own position...

Yes I would. Why? Because I very much prefer a nigh-immortal body made of metal and circuitry to the current sack of flesh that breaks horribly if I fall off a roof or perform heavy work for too long.

What if it progresses to the point where "body" is no longer meaningful in its contemporary sense, and we are all reduced to no more than "information", seeking to continue to be "information" and to see itself in new ways?

Risks or gains here?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Renegade Babylonian Kings wrote:So in a sense this is a rejection of transhumanism (or whichever sections of it you refer to) as a threat to our own survival, that might brush us all aside catastrophically without reference for our parental role?

Not exactly. I reject it as a threat to our position of absolute power. Survival is a secondary, though important, concern.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Renegade Babylonian Kings wrote:So in a sense this is a rejection of transhumanism (or whichever sections of it you refer to) as a threat to our own survival, that might brush us all aside catastrophically without reference for our parental role?

Not exactly. I reject it as a threat to our position of absolute power. Survival is a secondary, though important, concern.

It may be at the scales that are being discussed, whichever has one will have the other?

Or perhaps its the lightly setting padded cuffs of being cared for that we would find tasteful.

Better to live as less than Gods but survive by our merits than to be, as the Earl of Rochester called it, "the gilded opulence of [our] cage".

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:15 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:Also... details of my own position...

What if it progresses to the point where "body" is no longer meaningful in its contemporary sense, and we are all reduced to no more than "information", seeking to continue to be "information" and to see itself in new ways?

Risks or gains here?

Also acceptable. Of course I'd like to have a physical body lying around somewhere, to defend whatever medium my information is stored on.

Kintuckistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kintuckistan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:16 pm

I honestly hate transhumanism to the very center of it's cold, Frankenstein-complex core.

Let me start with this phrase:

"What could possibly go wrong?"
You fill in the rest....
Last edited by Kintuckistan on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:18 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:Also acceptable. Of course I'd like to have a physical body lying around somewhere, to defend whatever medium my information is stored on.

I suppose you could just have one.

Maybe its physical incarnation will be a planet, like Unicron from Transformers: The Movie.

Again, if nobody knows what I"m talking about, I'm going to go lie down in a box because I'm told to ever hope to reach whatever passes for Singularity, even if its just finally having quality porn and health care available simultaneously to the very poor.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 pm

Kintuckistan wrote:I honestly hate transhumanism to the very center of it's cold, Frankenstein-complex core.

You fill in the rest....

To which I respond "Lots of stuff. Isn't science wonderful?"

Kintuckistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kintuckistan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:27 pm

The last thing planet Earth needs is some freak scientist bio-engineering a real life Man-Bear-Pig.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Kintuckistan wrote:I honestly hate transhumanism to the very center of it's cold, Frankenstein-complex core.

You fill in the rest....

"What could possibly go wrong?" was precisely the premise alluded to quite centrally and throughout the OP.

So, by all means, fill in the rest. Restating what was already referenced pervasively in the question doesn't really add anything.

Moreover, the issue of "hating it to its core" then opens the spacious region of what you would do to stop others who intended to attempt transhumanism in some way you found particularly odious?

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Kintuckistan wrote:The last thing planet Earth needs is some freak scientist bio-engineering a real life Man-Bear-Pig.

Oh dear. The thread just became Super Cereal.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General